• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
https://sensortower.com/blog/pokemo...9-catching-nearly-900m-usd-in-player-spending

Pokémon GO from Niantic had its best year yet in 2019 after generating an estimated $894 million in gross player spending, according to Sensor Tower Store Intelligence estimates. This marks the location-based mobile blockbuster's best year since it launched in 2016, when it grossed $832 million after taking the world by storm.

pokemon-go-worldwide-user-spending-by-year.jpg

Breakdown by country and platforms
Pokémon GO caught most of its 2019 revenue in the United States, where it picked up $335 million, or 38 percent of all user spending. Japan ranked No. 2 for revenue with $286 million, or 32 percent of the total, and Germany was No. 3 with $54 million, or 6 percent.

Google Play accounted for the majority of revenue, with users spending $482 million in the game, or 54 percent of the total. The App Store, meanwhile, accumulated $412 million, or 46 percent of all spending. While many top mobile games gross more on iOS, Pokémon GO has historically generated the majority of its revenue on Android.

lock if "past its prime"

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yes we love the very successful global phenomenon mobile game pokemon go 👏

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely crazy revenue for a game a lot of people think is "dead" lol.

It's a genuinely great game that promotes health and fitness. I much prefer it to the "proper" Pokémon games.

Deleted member 12129

Oct 27, 2017
This is surprising to me. EVERYONE was playing it during those first few summer months in 2016, and then I thought it fizzled out of the mainstream? Or is the dedicated playerbase spending that much money still?

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
That's amazing. Like with everything else Pokemon the fad will die soon right?

This is surprising to me. EVERYONE was playing it during those first few summer months in 2016, and then I thought it fizzled out of the mainstream? Or is the dedicated playerbase spending that much money still?
Probably this. 80% of revenue is generated by 20% of customers in these types of apps, and that 20% is the most likely to stay.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes but see it'll chart until the end of the year and then it will be dead.

~at least one smart man circa 2016.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I got back into it in 2019 and they've really been cranking out updates for it. There's a new event every week and they've been constantly churning out QOL features.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
Wherever I go I see people always firing up the app. Crazy how much this has made.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising. Pokemon Go is the definitive Pokemon "experience" for many, many fans - while the actual games are just one time a playthrough and then forgotten about. Most people I know care much more about their Go collection than the Pokemon they have in the main games.

Niantic has done a very good job creating new events and implementing new features to keep people engaged.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the game is still popular in a few years when my son will be 4-5 years old. Would love to play the game with him!

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I got back into it this year. It's been wonderful and a lot of people still play it.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it had a big drop off because of the sheer volume of people playing it in 2016, and the novelty wore off, but they kept adding actually good features that helped retain a player base and you can see that uptick in 2018 staying there.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It'S a fAd

to put things into perspective, that's the same revenue as a $60 game selling 15 million copies at full price

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
not bashing the game at all because this is an incredible feat but I've never spent a dime in it because I haven't found a reason to and I still play.

People can do what they want with their money for sure because it doesn't affect me. it's just crazy that this game is still making money! Good for them!

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Not surprising. Pokemon Go is the definitive Pokemon "experience" for many, many fans - while the actual games are just one time a playthrough and then forgotten about. Most people I know care much more about their Go collection than the Pokemon they have in the main games.

Niantic has done a very good job creating new events and implementing new features to keep people engaged.

This is why I expect Pokemon Home to be way more popular than Pokemon Bank. Simply because of that Pokemon Go connection.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
not surprised in the slightest.
I slowed down a bit recently because of exams and the break, but I see someone playing it on the bus like 9 times out of 10

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
It's clear to me that while the appeal in Pokemon Go has decreased in the United States it has expanded itself in global markets.

Deleted member 3465

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
Not like GO was doing poorly on any level, but still awesome how they bounced back from 2017. It seems a lot of the new features are very nice additions too when I looked it up recently. I haven't played since launch week, but kinda tempted to try again especially now that it features pokemon from other gens too.

Oct 25, 2017
I've only played this year, but it was my impression that they monetize more aggressively today than in 2016. Is that true?

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I've only played this year, but it was my impression that they monetize more aggressively today than in 2016. Is that true?
They sell a training box that you can't buy with ingame coins and they've sold an early access pass for legendaries and shinies. Other than that, it's a grey area with regards to spawns and egg pools. There are a lot more features now though.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
This fad will die anytime soon /s
I wish I lived in a big city, tried multiple time where I live and it's not worth it.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Good for Go players. I was very active until mid 2018, but I couldn't dedicate more time to the game since I wanted to start doing other things and my time is scarce now. Great to see the playerbase is still very active, maybe I'll go out this Community Day.