• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
According to a recent AARP survey (via CBS News), Senior Citizen gaming is on an impressive rise.

"More than 10 million Americans age 50 and older became active video gamers over the past three years, according to an AARP survey. In 2016, there were 40 million senior gamers, a number that's mushroomed to about 51 million in 2019, the survey found.

To be sure, people in their mid-30s still make up a majority of the gaming industry's customers, but the rise in gray-haired gamers has big implications for how companies like Electronic Arts and Nintendo market and create new products, industry observers say."

Spending from older gamers is also up —

"Americans over 50 spent $3.5 billion on video games and accessories between in first half of the year, up sharply from $523 million during the same period in 2016, according to AARP."

In the full article there's more, I encourage you to read it. I love it when gaming hits demographics that I don't expect it to.

What about you? Will you be gaming into your 70's and beyond?

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah we're getting older (I'm 3........🤢8 now)
All the folks who gamed in the 80s-90s that were 10+ years older than me were bound to continue to game... or get back into it when it is a trend.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Liquid Snake

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Yeah we're getting older (I'm 3........🤢8 now)
All the folks who gamed in the 80s-90s that were 10+ years older than me were bound to continue to game... or get back into it when it is a trend.
I like the fact that seniors who never played are probably be introduced to gaming through their grandchildren and then picking it up themselves. Warms the heart!

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
50 years olds aren't surprising. They were still kids when Space Invaders came out. And yeah, it not surprising for the senior crowd. Most of them have phones or PCs now. It's the generation before them that usually avoided computers.

My WW2 era grandma was buying and playing Sega games for herself 30 years ago.

And I turned one of my uncles into a gamer by installing Shadow Warrior on his PC. I was just testing the hardware but he became addicted to first-person shooters. He's 77 now.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
hey, if you got into gaming at like 30 when stuff like donkey kong arcade cabinets were in pubs, you're coming up to 70 today.

I will definately be gaming in my 70s. Retirment will finally get me a chance to make a dent in my backlog...

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I wonder if it's the proliferation of devices that are capable of playing games. Phones and tablets have to be at the forefront of these numbers I would assume. Hell I played Drug Wars on my TI-83 in high school.

Looking into the PDF seems to confirm my assumption:

Older adults have moved their game play to mobile as they abandon computers and laptops and turn to smartphones and tablets to play video games.

Also some interesting stuff not highlighted in the OP:

Women rule the gaming space. More 50+ women are playing video games than men, and they are more likely to play every day.

More than half of gamers agree that playing video games relieves stress, and few believe that playing games is a problem for them.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't the increased spending just be parents/grandparents buying games for their children/grandchildren?

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
I'd like to get my 70+ year old parents into gaming. They are way more cranky being bored af all the time.