• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
So parents will now have to start packing their kids' dinners along with their lunches as well?

What a shitty idea.

Instead of making the school day longer, why not mandate shorter work hours? Adults get burned out if they work long hours, kids aren't much different.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gross, but not surprising coming from Harris. People are working too many hours and not getting paid enough for basic childcare.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I'd allow it if school was more conducive to individual wants. Then I'd have no problem having kids stay longer because they want more time to play instruments, or do art, learn science, etc.
As it is, kids would probably hate it and I can only see negatives.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
I think California passed a bill for school to start later, so obviously school would have to go later.

But the idea of nationwide making all school go until 6... WTF? We need better after school programs to provide a place for kids until their parents can get them, or they are old enough to get home by themselves.

We need to be funding programs not legislating start and stop times

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
I can't fathom what on Earth is possessing anyone to think this is even remotely in the realm of a good idea.

Proposals to extend the school day aren't new or uncommon. They've even been implemented in some places, though normally coupled with other changes (ie later start times, 4-day weeks, etc.). Kids in the US already have a ton of in-school time as-is.

Seattle6418

Oct 25, 2017
Brasília Brazil
We cannot stress how bad this is for traffic during rush hours.

I won´t even go about the proposal itself because everybody already pointed out how stupid this is.

Kamala is just beyond bad at this point. She´s from California and doesn´t know how bad rush hour is?

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I would benefit from this bill due to the hours my wife and I work. I actually think it is a good idea if it is treated as study hall or recitation classes. However, if we expect teachers to become glorified daycare employees after school then that would be a massive mistake and demeaning to them and their profession.
That's definitely fair, as I've made clear previously that the biggest issue of the bill is more about how the funds will actually be provided, and how the staff will actually be properly compensated for this.

The reason this works at the private and well-funded schools is because teachers there are already better compensated for their time there, so it makes sense, and works out for them since they would have already known about those programs, and joined those schools as something they already knew they would be contributing to.

It's more difficult to implement here as many teachers didn't sign up for this, and nor were they properly compensated to begin with for regular school hours. This bill needs to do a better job addressing that, and also defining exactly what that extra hourly rates would be, and how it would be compensated fairly for their time. They will also need to start thinking about additional resources and candidates outside of the basic curriculum of staffing, as many teachers who were at schools found themselves without a job when extra-curricular activities were cut, so there's many teachers out there, but how will they be able to engage those additional faculty to contribute to this program, rather than just having existed faculty, who may not even be equipped for these extracurriculars, to be properly implemented?

The bill isn't perfect for sure, but I also feel we should start thinking about how to improve it, rather than how to take it down, as I still feel the core of this bill, though many people seem to be missing it, is not only practical, but already exists, but just not for low-income communities.

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just put all kids in cryogenic suspension pods for 8 hours after school so that mommy and daddy can both work 2 full time jobs. Thanks, Robocop!

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You'd have to invest billions more in education for this to be even remotely feasible. This an insane amount of more work for teachers, who already have huge demands on their time outside of class.

I'd rather see federal funding for optional after school care at all schools across the country instead of this.

Last edited:

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Why don't we copy China's "video games for only one hour a day" for Children law while we are at it

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow! She really is an idiot!

How about you have a system where there's funding for after school programs to 6pm. Or offer it at a subsidy for families who want to take advantage of it?

Kids should not be in school from 9-6, go home and do homework.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is incredibly stupid, no wonder she is dropping like a stone in the polls.

The real solution would be to fix labor and wage laws so people don't have to work more than 6 hours a day in the first place.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can see the sentiment (and if I were in high school, say, I'd take the trade myself if it meant less homework) but I don't see how underfunded schools and teachers would be able to uphold this.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Feel like I just had a Nam flashback thinking about the anguish I would have been in if they tried to make this a thing when I was in school.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Wow! She really is an idiot!

How about you have a system where there's funding for after school programs to 6pm. Or offer it at a subsidy for families who want to take advantage of it?

Kids should not be in school from 9-6, go home and do homework.

This is for an after school program. It's not 3 more hours of curriculum.

Oct 27, 2017
Where we are the elementary school day starts before 8 am if your child is dropped off a half--hour early and/or is fed breakfast by the school. This is the start of the day for the child, assuming the parent/guardian didn't already have the child in early-morning care while they open up or take an early shift at the first of their two jobs they work that day. If you haven't picked up your child around 2:45, the bus will drop them off sometime after 3 pm. There are occasional activities after school at the school until 4 pm. Other after-school programs offsite for the remainder of the day already exist, so some kids' days outside the home are already 12 hours or longer. But at least they are fed breakfast and lunch. In my state during the summer all kids can get free lunch every day, walk in no-questions-asked. During the school year there are camp options for people working during extended school recesses.

Teachers already work extra duties outside of classroom time, sometimes without stipend. Job shifts and schedules for workers vary beyond 9-to-5, and don't get some federal or religious holidays. Kids still get sick and will need at-home care which means lost wages for some.

In short, wage increases and wage protections are needed. Grant money for communities is needed, particularly where programs and resources do not exist. "Extending the school day" is not.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, instead of spending more time with family, let's keep parents and their children apart more. How about legislation shortening the work day instead?

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'd have to invest billions more in education for this to be even remotely feasible. This an insane amount of more work for teachers, who already have huge demands on their time outside of class. Unless this is optional, there would be millions of kids who would not want to do this instead of extra curricular programs and other demands (like a part time job).

I'd rather see federal funding for optional after school care at all schools across the country instead of this.

Kamala wants the kids to spend the extra time stamping license plates and breaking rocks, so the program really pays for itself.

Last edited:

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Feels like this policy is specifically designed by the AARP to keep those damn kids off the lawn.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
This idea alone is enough to swing the election if it got the "you didn't build this" treatment. You could spin this so many different ways to make Dems seem out of touch. I can instantly imagine Trump saying "They're trying to keep your kids in school till after dinner!" or some stupid shit like that. This idea is fucking laughable and should disqualify her instantly.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
I'd actually be okay with this in theory if it also moved the start day of a school day more forward, thus giving kids both more times to sleep and allowing parents a little extra time to sleep so they don't have to get up as early as the kids do.

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Exactly why I want Harris out of politics period. Foolishly out of touch. Instead of focusing on how to help families as a whole she comes up with this crap. What sane parent is going to WANT their kid thru nearly 12 hours of public school.

She could be focusing on how to help with the housing crisis, affordable healthcare, free college and eliminating tuition and loans, or how about more tax breaks for families since California has the highest taxes in the country?

Retire Kamala. Go enjoy walking to the store and seeing dozens of homeless people on each block. Thanks to you and your cohorts.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
lmfao "Let's help kids' development by keeping them in school an additional 3+ hours a day" is such a fucking cop idea.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly why I want Harris out of politics period. Foolishly out of touch. Instead of focusing on how to help families as a whole she comes up with this crap. What sane parent is going to WANT their kid thru nearly 12 hours of public school.
The ones who pay hundreds of dollars a day to a private company to take care of their children after school hours or whose kids are sent to an empty home because they can't afford after-school care.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
ok boomer

But seriously though, not a great proposal to hitch your wagon to right now imo

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
this sounds like trying to solve a symptom caused from other problems.

Like longer work days, expensive day care, etc.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
imagine pursuing a degree in education while someone vying to run the country proposes legislation that reduces your future career to a glorified daycare worker

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lets just make school 24/7, drop off the kids when they are 5, pick them up when they are 18.

This is a stupid proposed bill

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
imagine pursuing a degree in education while someone vying to run the country proposes legislation that reduces your future career to a glorified daycare worker

I mean that's where I'm at, but I'm refocusing my degree towards private sector education. I got a taste of public school education, and....no thanks.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Such a stupid solution to the problem. Teachers and kids would both "revolt". Just give generous tax breaks for day care and after school programs you have to pay for.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I can't imagine anyone who has significant experience working in education would ever support increasing the school day by 3 hours.

I work in HS and kids are already checked the fuck out by 2PM.. elementary is worse.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Such a stupid solution to the problem. Teachers and kids would both "revolt". Just give generous tax breaks for day care and after school programs you have to pay for.
A tax break is only going to help people who can afford to wait for that money until their taxes are filed.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
I get trying to help working parents with their schedules but that comes at the expense of unhappy kids and teachers. Best try to improve transportation services or subsidize daycare for low income families.

Jan 11, 2018
Or maybe pay people decent wages and shorten their fucking workday so they can spend some freaking time with their families.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
How about having the work day shortened for parents instead of torturing children and overworking teachers?