• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Feinstein's objections in the clip "there's now way to pay for it" "it's not going to get turned around in 10 years" is not something against some unfinished version of the GND... it is against AOC's GND. These are not the criticisms of some secretive supporter of the GND.

How is this going to change her mind? Instead she's going to double down because this wasn't made in good faith.

If you call yourself progressive but stand for anything other than the full support of fighting climate change, no matter the details of the discussion, you're a crank and your worldview is dogshit.

She is for fighting climate change, she's just not for this sort of proposal. I'm not saying I agree with her but she's not a Republican on this issue, either.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
How is this going to change her mind? Instead she's going to double down because this wasn't made in good faith.
giphy.gif

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
sorry anything less than what AOC wants means you're not a true leftist and you're a crank dogshit worldview haver who just calls themselves progressive
I mean you say this as though its wrong when clearly it is correct lmao
anything less than a radical upheaval is already adding millions of bodies to the pile
and even less than that is straight up being complicit in this

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean you say this as though its wrong when clearly it is correct lmao

i do not idolize political figureheads even if they are sometimes right

anything less than a radical upheaval is already adding millions of bodies to the pile
and even less than that is straight up being complicit in this

and there's plenty of ways to fuck it up as well which we would all be complicit in if we don't give the GND the due diligence it was designed and made to promote. it's the first step down a road that needs to be as long as it can before adoption

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Is this the only option available? What if it fails, then what's the plan?
I mean hopefully more efforts are put into convincing senators that we are all gonna fucking die. I mean, do you think this is it? This is one organization going to Feinstein's office and then putting out a video in an attempt to spotlight Feinstein's stance on the GND. It's not the left's comprehensive strategy.

This is also not the entirety of what this organization has done, looking at their social media.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
sorry anything less than what AOC wants means you're not a true leftist and you're a crank dogshit worldview haver who just calls themselves progressive

The IPCC has said we have 12 years to keep to 1.5C warming.

It's not because AOC is doing purity politics there's a basic scientific impetus here, one which Feinstein is not paying attention to at all.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The IPCC has said we have 12 years to keep to 1.5C warming.

It's not because AOC is doing purity politics there's a basic scientific impetus here, one which Feinstein is not paying attention to at all.

why do you think she has the only solution

she's starting a process, not ending one

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
If she doubles down because some kids didn't give her the deference she feels she was owed then they have every right to take her to task over it.

Why wouldn't she do that? There is no out for her to take or to gain her as an ally, this simply made it worse. You don't attack someone like an enemy than expect them to be your friend. That's not how alliances are made.

Vote her out? This is fine fodder for 2024 or whenever her seat's up.

Read my edited response, which explains other avenues on the political angles. What do you think about them? There is more to this than simply protesting and shouting at people.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
why do you think she has the only solution

she's starting a process, not ending one

I don't think she has the only solution.

However, Feinstein straight up says in the video that adhering to the timeline laid out by the IPCC is not going to happen, and thus I know any "solution" Feinstein thinks she is proposing is no solution at all.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think she has the only solution.

However, Feinstein straight up says in the video that adhering to the timeline laid out by the IPCC is not going to happen, and thus I know any "solution" Feinstein thinks she is proposing is no solution at all.

What context do you think my second statement in the quotest post adds? I think AOC is starting the process of figuring out what a GND would even look like. Currently it's not going to happen. Everyone and their dog knew that. That's why plays for support don't mean anything. The deal's going to be an evolving process that people will have to work for. You can't present the first iteration and go "There, done". That was never the intention and yet you're all acting as if it is.

By the way, because I can see the responses to this coming: The video in the OP isn't part of making a GND happen. Because it's presenting an idea that was never designed to pass and asking for someone who knew that to support it in it's current form.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I mean hopefully more efforts are put into convincing senators that we are all gonna fucking die. I mean, do you think this is it? This is one organization going to Feinstein's office and then putting out a video in an attempt to spotlight Feinstein's stance on the GND.

I agree, but I'd like more variety to be put into that rather than attack attack attack because that's a losing strategy. They're thinking like activists when they should be trying to come at Feinstein as a politician. Which seems like that's all they have in their arsenal. Protests. Great, what else do you have? That's not the solution to every problem in politics.

It's not the left's comprehensive strategy.

I was focusing on Sunrise as they're the one pushing this at the moment and they seem to be a group who has hammer and everything looks like a nail. The other guy who boosted their tweet is not encouraging, either. He's got the same mindset.

This is also not the entirety of what this organization has done, looking at their social media.

It certainly looks like this is all they've done to reach out to Feinstein, which isn't encouraging.

1.5C of warming IS the compromise according to the IPCC. It will be painful and cause a lot of loss of life and damage but we might survive. Ignoring it and blowing through to 2C is the point of no return where we get into extinction level scenarios.

Which means jack when the people trying to help are absolutely terrible at it like Sunrise is. Their motives may be pure, but their strategies are narrow and unimaginative for politics.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
it's never been an all or nothing
In terms of AOC's resolution? Sure, but in this case that probably means drastically cutting it until more dems can swallow it until it's... well, probably not going to cut it. Which means we should really be pressuring these fuckers to support something that will radically change the course of carbon emission.
Again, Feinstein offers no good criticism in the video of the bill. It's everything you don't want to hear. AOC's resolution is certainly not perfect, certainly not the only way to go, but I mean isn't it pretty obvious the reason that Dems won't support it is that it's way too ambitious for them and they think we can make some smaller victories?

EDIT: I'm also saying this without reading Feinstein's bill yet... which I should but it's late, and I'll read it tomorrow.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of AOC's resolution? Sure, but in this case that probably means drastically cutting it until more dems can swallow it until it's... well, probably not going to cut it. Which means we should really be pressuring these fuckers to support something that will radically change the course of carbon emission.
Again, Feinstein offers no good criticism in the video of the bill. It's everything you don't want to hear. AOC's resolution is certainly not perfect, certainly not the only way to go, but I mean isn't it pretty obvious the reason that Dems won't support it is that it's way too ambitious for them and they think we can make some smaller victories?

It's not about drastically cutting it. That would be a mistake. It's about finding a pathway to sucsess. Rome wasn't built in a day. You can change a bill without "cutting" it. You might even be able to make one that Feinstein would support, if everyone involved in the process was intending on the thing to pass.

You don't make progress by shouting at someone, "Why won't you pass a work in progress bill?".

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
It's not about drastically cutting it. That would be a mistake. It's about finding a pathway to sucsess. Rome wasn't built in a day.
I'm not at all confident "a pathway for success" to Dems is anything less to drastically cutting the ambitions of the GND. Pelosi's "green dream" bullshit is telegraphing exactly what those dems think of this shit. Feinstein may as well have said the same thing. Frontrunners are signing onto it, but many of them are signing on to M4H and well.. we'll see about that as well.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, but I'd like more variety to be put into that rather than attack attack attack because that's a losing strategy. They're thinking like activists when they should be trying to come at Feinstein as a politician. Which seems like that's all they have in their arsenal. Protests. Great, what else do you have? That's not the solution to every problem in politics.

You have the most consistently wrong ideas about how politics works of nearly anybody on this board

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
So many of you in here know damn well how you'd react if the senator in the video was a (R), it's ok to hold people on "our side" accountable

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
What context do you think my second statement in the quotest post adds? I think AOC is starting the process of figuring out what a GND would even look like. Currently it's not going to happen. Everyone and their dog knew that. That's why plays for support don't mean anything. The deal's going to be an evolving process that people will have to work for. You can't present the first iteration and go "There, done". That was never the intention and yet you're all acting as if it is.

By the way, because I can see the responses to this coming: The video in the OP isn't part of making a GND happen. Because it's presenting an idea that was never designed to pass and asking for someone who knew that to support it in it's current form.

Feinstein didn't reject the methodology for reducing emissions in ten years, she rejected the very idea of reducing emissions in ten years!

Any idea she thus has springing from that starting position is doomed.

Oct 25, 2017
Part of her response was fine and reasonable. But one part of it was also unnecessarily harsh and shitty. I'm tempted to stand on my soap box and specify why but I feel like it'll just get lost in the noise and I'll be repeating many others.

What's interesting to me, and I don't know if anyone has touched on this already, is that her attitude toward these people is clearly affected by the recency of her election win. There's a bit of contempt in her voice, like 'hey I just won so I don't need to suffer this' which I'd imagine is a byproduct of the campaign cycle where you portray a certain affection for the public but the moment you've won there's a sense of 'Ok cool now I don't need to deal with you for a while'.

Btw what did she mean by "we have our own green new deal"

So many of you in here know damn well how you'd react if the senator in the video was a (R), it's ok to hold people on "our side" accountable
Are you certain that the minority here praising her are even on 'our' side? This is exactly the kind of thread that would solicit reactions from the quiet minority.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not at all confident "a pathway for success" to Dems is anything less to drastically cutting the ambitions of the GND. Pelosi's "green dream" bullshit is telegraphing exactly what those dems think of this shit. Feinstein may as well have said the same thing. Frontrunners are signing onto it, but many of them are signing on to M4H and well.. we'll see about that as well.

I do not have as low of an opinion on the democratic party as everyone on Era who calls themselves an avowed leftist seems to have. I do not think they are perfect. Far from it. They are flawed, but I do believe enough of them are well intentioned enough that a pathway to a finalized GND passing is possible.

I think people have given into desperation and panic because the Right is so fucking awful. (And also good at manipulating things). We're being barraged by a continuous level of noise that warps our opinions on this stuff because we have no time to decompress on an emotional level and process everything we're hearing. And the right's taken advantage of that and let us breed hopelessness.

Feinstein didn't reject the methodology for reducing emissions in ten years, she rejected the very idea of reducing emissions in ten years!

Any idea she thus has springing from that starting position is doomed.

People can be convinced. (No, again, the video was not a way of convincing anyone. Especially Feinstein.)

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
It's going to burn in a day at this rate, though.

And again, we've had 50 years forewarning for this. Whatever was going on in DC in all that time, clearly doesn't work.

I get the impression that sometimes, people think this is a negotiation with another human party. Like it's a budget negotiation, or a shutdown crisis, or something. That timetables can be delayed or something.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California

My only issue is the using of sub-teen children as pawns. Same as my problem when Trump uses children at his rallies, speeches. It's gross. Otherwise I agree with sunshine movement, aoc, and justice democrats on almost every point.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's going to convince her at this point? Presumably she's read the IPCC report, does she think it's wrong or that we DON'T have to reduce emissions by 2030 to keep global temperatures at 1.5C?

People need time to process information. And the GND is a foundation upon which better deals will be made, which only improves chances.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
People need time to process information. And the GND is a foundation upon which better deals will be made, which only improves chances.

How much time is she gonna need? It was released October last year! How many more months does she need? How many more years?

Let's be honest, she doesn't want to do it, she isn't going to do it.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How much time is she gonna need? It was released October last year! How many more months does she need? How many more years?

She's had four months to process information about the world potentially ending while dealing with a criminal president destroying norms left right and center who may be a puppet of a foreign nation, highlighting the brokenness of the poltiical system every day with the president starting fires all over the country. She's then presented with a foundational deal and asked to support something that nobody is intending on passing while dealing with a system being brought to it's knees.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
You have the most consistently wrong ideas about how politics works of nearly anybody on this board

Because I have the audacity to say that activism isn't the only solution to political problems like climate change? I've included that as a viable strategy to obtain goals but I'd have to be narrow minded in thinking that's the sole avenue to getting politicians to do what I want. It feels good, but what's the track record of that working by itself? Using political strategies to get politicians to become allies, surely that'd never work! Someone better get AOC on the phone to tell her not to do this when she's making the GND then.

I get the impression that sometimes, people think this is a negotiation with another human party. Like it's a budget negotiation, or a shutdown crisis, or something. That timetables can be delayed or something.

It is, you need to get the people on board to fix climate change - which means negotiation and making allies. Feinstein is one of those human parties, that's why she was targeted by this group. This is about getting the system in the proper shape to respond to the coming crisis, someone has to do it and this means engaging with the system to fix it.

Last edited:

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Is there anyway to say "no, the Green New Deal is a non-binding house resolution and reads like an Amazon wishlist with no concrete plan for implementation" to a child and not come off as rude?

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's had four months to process information about the world potentially ending
She's known about it for 4 months? What the fuck has she been doing this whole time? The scientific community has been warning us for the last 40 fucking years.
We don't have the time for Dianne Feinstein and every other ignorant democrat to pull their head out of their ass while human civilization is about to experience it's biggest decline in a thousand years.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

Has anyone really tried to convince her and persuade her to do this properly in good faith? Getting shamed by kids on video is not a winning strategy to get this result. That's not traditionally how you convince allies to join your cause, its creating enemies.

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone really tried to convince her and persuade her to do this properly in good faith? Getting shamed by kids on video is not a winning strategy to get this result. That's not traditionally how you convince allies to join your cause, its creating enemies.
Dianne Feinstein is going to become Doctor Blythe because she got frustrated by some kids. DiFi will be the sworn enemy of this children, an archnemesis that will bring a sundering ruin upon their tiny little hearts.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
She's known about it for 4 months? What the fuck has she been doing this whole time? The scientific community has been warning us for the last 40 fucking years.
We don't have the time for Dianne Feinstein and every other ignorant democrat to pull their head out of their ass while human civilization is about to experience it's biggest decline in a thousand years.

To hell with your apocalypse TRUMP IS VIOLATING NORMS

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Cannibalizing the left" is stupid as hell when half of the Democrats are not even left to begin with.

Maybe there wouldn't be any canibalizing if corporate dinosaurs like Feinstein would get the fuck out for people who actually want meaningful change.

Oct 26, 2017
Could have been handled better but shit situation overall really. Who realistically wants to talk to a bunch of kids while they recite from the constitution and repeat canned responses the adults have fed them?

Tell them you're taking the situation seriously and then gtfo