• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
should be a law that all senators and representatives have to move all their investments into low yield interest funds for as long as they are in office.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't we throw Martha in jail for this?

Also, fuck this man. Thousands of Americans will die because of this GOP fuckery.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
This makes me so incredibly angry with the GOP. He should be in prison for this.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Insider trading is bad enough, but it's doubly outrageous that he lied to the public about the threat.

We need to find out what his investors did with this information as well, of course...

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea that's uh a clear case of insider trading.

true story - Congress is protected from insider trading laws and undid much of the legislation designed to prevent them from openly benefitting from that.

www.npr.org

How Congress Quietly Overhauled Its Insider-Trading Law

With no fanfare, Congress moved to undo large parts of the popular law known as the STOCK Act, and President Obama has signed the watered-down measure into law. Insider trading is still illegal, but disclosures of large stock trades by staffers will be harder to get than under the original law.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Is he up for reelection this year? I doubt it, but man the opposing campaign just writes itself here.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
"I can't believe China made me do this! They need to be held blah blah."

I'm sure he'll be donating 1.5 million to NC hospitals, any minute.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
Even if resigns, a lunatic Trump supplicant is likely to take his place despite having a Democratic governor of NC. A NC GOP "executive committee" gets to designate 3 names from which the governor has to select from.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Even if resigns, a lunatic Trump supplicant is likely to take his place despite having a Democratic governor of NC. A NC GOP "executive committee" gets to designate 3 names from which the governor has to select from.
Wait what, there's a special election after that though at least right?

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm a lawyer in the private funds space and haven't been able to trade named stocks for almost ten years. How the fuck can Congressional leaders with far more information than me do so!?!

Method

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a lawyer in the private funds space and haven't been able to trade named stocks for almost ten years. How the fuck can Congressional leaders with far more information than me do so!?!
how do you think they all become multi, multi millionaires? they write the laws so they can cheat if they want basically!

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
I'd say we can be certain that this crook is hardly the only one in our government who has already made bank from this crisis. They're all scheming like fuck to cash in.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Ha, nope.

Don Jr, Eric, and Ivanka could literally buy a house next to their daddy's golf course in Charlotte, fill out a page of paperwork to change residency, and the governor could be forced to pick between the three.
Did this stipulation happen to be conceived right after Democrats won the gubernatorial election? 🤔

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually I might be misinterpreting this paragraph from NCSL

Vacancies Filled by Gubernatorial Appointment
In the following 36 states, the governor makes an appointment to fill a U.S. Senate vacancy, and the appointee serves until the next regularly-scheduled, statewide general election. The person elected at that next regularly-held general election serves for the remainder of the unexpired term, if any. If the term was set to expire at that general election, the person elected serves a full six-year term.

Maybe Someone with more knowledge than me can confirm.

So it looks like his seat might be up for election in November, but the winner only gets to serve out the rest of Burr's original term, which is in 2022.

So technically there would be a chance to flip both seats this November in NC. But that's only if Burr resigns, which I would wager he doesn't because he's a shitheel

Last edited:

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Burr's response, which skirts mention the stock sale.

Inject the ratio directly into my veins.

tenor.gif

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
North Carolina US Senate vacancy rules:
1) Appointed by Governor
2) Must be of the same political party as the Senator who vacated the seat
2) Keeps seat until next general election. Whoever wins that election fills out the remaining term.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
tbh the trumpies are only knocking burr for this because they think he was insufficiently partisan during the senate intel russia investigation

"An aide said the sale happened before market volatility began". Yes, that's the point.

Insert thatsthejoke.jpg

Seriously, that's... exactly what he's being accused of? What a weird "defense."

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina US Senate vacancy rules:
1) Appointed by Governor
2) Must be of the same political party as the Senator who vacated the seat
2) Keeps seat until next general election. Whoever wins that election fills out the remaining term.
Yes, but there is an additional caveat that 3 candidates are presented to the governor for selection by the exiting Senator's party's executive committee. Given by this 2018 law https://www.ncleg.gov/Sessions/2017/Bills/House/PDF/H659v4.pdf

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
Yes, but there is an additional caveat that 3 candidates are presented to the governor for selection by the exiting Senator's party's executive committee. Given by this 2018 law https://www.ncleg.gov/Sessions/2017/Bills/House/PDF/H659v4.pdf
Oh I thought that didn't pass. I guess they dusted it off and passed it. Can't believe I missed that.

The good news is that if this all happens quickly, then we'll get to elect another senator in November. Maybe someone like JEFF JACKSON!