• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
im sorry if i ask this again nor read but i need to ask,

My wife and i file joint and we are over 75k combined. Are we qualified for 1200 each?
There is probably more detail, but according to this, yes, you should expect something:

(c) LIMITATIONBASED ON ADJUSTEDGROSSIN-INCOME.—The amount of the credit allowed by subsection (a) (determined without regard to this subsection and sub-section (e)) shall be reduced (but not below zero) by 5 percent of so much of the taxpayer's adjusted gross income as exceeds— '
(1) $150,000 in the case of a joint return,''
(2) $112,500 in the case of a head of household, and'
(3) $75,000 in the case of a taxpayer not de-19scribed in paragraph (1) or (2).

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The dumb thing most republicans are avoiding, is that people who have unemployment... oh wait HAVE TO APPLY FOR WORK TO KEEP IT. (or i'm dumb and did it wrong when i had unemployment a few years back) Its not like some grand vacation like someone else here said.
What nurses are collecting unemployment right now, exactly?
They're probably afraid of "ESSENTIAL EMPLOYEES" wanting unemployment lol. Maybe if they paid everyone enough, nobody would want unemployment or have to need it because they got paid enough.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
What nurses are collecting unemployment right now, exactly?
The ones who got infected

The dumb thing most republicans are avoiding, is that people who have unemployment... oh wait HAVE TO APPLY FOR WORK TO KEEP IT. (or i'm dumb and did it wrong when i had unemployment a few years back) Its not like some grand vacation like someone else here said.

Some states have waived the work search requirements.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
So wait I've been rereading multiple times. Should I finish my taxes now then? EDIT: Apparently I did get the W2 but I was unemployed since May. Or should I leave it. Last year's tax returns were better by like 200 dollars.

And only citizens or do residents get it? My grandparents are citizens but were forced into retirement. I'm still a resident and take care of them.

Sorry for the bump I just wanted to see if I could get clarification. I've been reading multiple sources but haven't been able to understand anything.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
So wait I've been rereading multiple times. Should I finish my taxes now then? EDIT: Apparently I did get the W2 but I was unemployed since May. Or should I leave it. Last year's tax returns were better by like 200 dollars.

And only citizens or do residents get it? My grandparents are citizens but were forced into retirement. I'm still a resident and take care of them.

Sorry for the bump I just wanted to see if I could get clarification. I've been reading multiple sources but haven't been able to understand anything.
A 200 difference doesn't matter much. If it pushes you over the threshold, I think it's like $10 less.

If your grandparents are somebody's dependents, they don't get it. If they collect

Doogdogg

Oct 27, 2017
You would just have to file taxes for 2019 to get the check?
For Those On Social Security, SSDI, or SSI

For those on Social Security as part of retirement or through the Social Security Disability Insurance program can have their Social Security Administration data used directly to claim the stimulus check - no tax return will be required.

It appears the final version of the bill will also include payments to those whose income comes entirely from non-taxable benefits, such as SSI benefits.

thecollegeinvestor.com

Coronavirus Stimulus Checks: What To Expect

The government is going to be sending out coronavirus stimulus checks to every American to help them with the recession, here's what to know.

blazenumb1

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Any insight is appreciated and sorry if I'm completely missing this, I have been looking and didn't see anything to officially confirm for myself. I was furloughed last week and put in an unemployment claim last Friday. So per the bill would I be right to assume that when I claim my first check the extra $600 would be on there?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
You can actually quit right now and claim unemployment due to fear of corona infection; so evil Graham isn't wrong about people being able to choose unemployment right now over employment.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Heck, I can only dream of making 75k/year at this point in my life, ha ha.

So basically I should just file for 2019 whenever I can (but before July 15th) and I'll be guaranteed the check then?
Did you not file 2018? Cause you're good to go if so.

I haven't read the entire bill yet, but I don't believe it goes into alternate methods of getting the check. The closest is a paragraph that says it won't pay out after 12/31.

Oct 26, 2017
YES! They are withdrawing the amendment to lower $600

Or maybe I misunderstood. Darnit. I guess they still vote on it though, and it will fail.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vote is coming up if i understood him correctly. (His accent/ muddled voice doesnt help.... he needs subs under him lol)

Thebox

Dec 26, 2019
You can't claim unemployment unless you are laid off. You can't just quit.

Could you claim you quit in order to take care of your child due to them being out of school? Especially with the price of child care it may not make financial sense for both parents to be working if one makes a low wage that would be essential wiped out and then some by child care expenses

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only decent part of this entire plan is the unemployment benefits. The actual checks they are sending are way too small to really blunt the oncoming depression and means testing is beyond stupid. Let alone taxing people on it.

I'm still not sure why the GOP is willing to let that unemployment measure through. I would have fully expected if the dems had played hardball on the bailout Trump would have tried to use executive orders to bypass the house releasing funds, despite the constitution, and his crony judges would have let him do it.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Could you claim you quit in order to take care of your child due to them being out of school? Especially with the price of child care it may not make financial sense for both parents to be working if one makes a low wage that would be essential wiped out and then some by child care expenses
Yep, that's explicitly given as a reason.

Businesses can do voluntary layoffs too to keep a skeleton crew.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even though I know it's included in the bill, I don't even know how this self employed/contractor unemployment would work. Would it still have to come from somewhere? Like would ride share drivers have to hope that Uber/Lyft will cover the gajillion unemployment payments they're about to get propositioned? Cause I don't see that happening. And for people like artists and such, where would they even file to if they don't have any company ties?

Oct 27, 2017
The checks to individual people will be direct-deposited in three weeks, or mailed as late as four months later. People will be asking Schumer and Pelosi what it is they negotiated.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Hey, it's fraud what your talking about doing. They may check with your place of employment to see if you were fired and you could get in trouble. If you want to risk it go ahead but realize you could fuck yourself over.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
You can't claim unemployment unless you are laid off. You can't just quit.
www.businessinsider.com

The federal government has made 3 changes to its unemployment benefits guidelines as the coronavirus cripples entire industries — here's what you need to know

Workers may be eligible for benefits if their company is shut down, if they're quarantined, or if they need to care for family.

I guess there are some limitations, but they've relaxed the rules, and I don't think they'd be able to verify if you actually had legit fear being compromised:

3. An individual leaves employment due to a risk of exposure or infection or to care for a family member

Stettner said this could apply to a worker who chose not to come into work because they're concerned about being infected by the coronavirus.

"For example, if they are immune compromised or older and quit a job that requires sustained exposure to the public like working at a grocery store that has remained open," he told Business Insider. "It's a drastic move to quit, [but] there are cases when workers will feel like they have no choice."

Again, this eligibility will vary by state. But if you're in doubt about whether or not you're eligible for unemployment benefits, experts say you should apply anyway.

You can leave a job right now and claim you are caring for a family member, or are immune-compromised, etc.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Even though I know it's included in the bill, I don't even know how this self employed/contractor unemployment would work. Would it still have to come from somewhere? Like would ride share drivers have to hope that Uber/Lyft will cover the gajillion unemployment payments they're about to get propositioned? Cause I don't see that happening. And for people like artists and such, where would they even file to if they don't have any company ties?
Doesn't specify. It's possible the state won't contribute anything so you'd just get the 600 from the feds.

Thebox

Dec 26, 2019
Hey, it's fraud what your talking about doing. They may check with your place of employment to see if you were fired and you could get in trouble. If you want to risk it go ahead but realize you could fuck yourself over.

I'm not doing that. I'll never get laid off as a ER nurse. I was just wondering in general because I know a few people that have. Which does make sense to me given the situation, can't blame them.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
lots of empty seats in there. where's everyone at... bingo?
maxresdefault.jpg