• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Thread is moving fast, sorry if this has been beaten to death.

Can someone please give me information on the student loan debt part of this bill? I'm just wondering if they are suspending payments and what not. Thanks in advance.

Superplex

Nov 4, 2017
<3
Has there been any concrete information on how non-filers could possibly apply for this? All I have seen so far has essentially been speculation.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Where does this say that a future refund would be reduced over this?
The way it works, to my understanding, is that Congress created a new tax credit for this year for people making under $75,000 AGI (so after certain deductions from your paycheck like health policies). For each person making over $75,000, that $1200 credit decreases by $50 per $1000. So if you're making $95,000 then that tax credit doesn't apply to you.

Now the way they're handing out these checks is based on what you filed for 2019 or 2018 tax-wise. So if you filed for $50,000 In 2019 but you make $95,000 now then you would have to pay back all $1200 next year. Vice-versa if you made $95,000 last year and only $75,000 this year then you wouldn't receive a check but next year you would get $1200 added to your refund, or deducted from how much you owe.

Modify those numbers depending on if you are head of a household or filed jointly or have X number of brats running around.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The way it works, to my understanding, is that Congress created a new tax credit for this year for people making over $75,000 AGI (so after certain deductions from your paycheck like health policies). For each person making over $75,000, that $1200 credit decreases by $50 per $1000. So if you're making $95,000 then that tax credit doesn't apply to you.

Now the way they're handing out these checks is based on what you filed for 2019 or 2018 tax-wise. So if you filed for $50,000 In 2019 but you make $95,000 now then you would have to pay back all $1200 next year. Vice-versa if you made $95,000 last year and only $75,000 this year then you wouldn't receive a check but next year you would get $1200 added to your refund.
Ok yeah I could see that. I guess I mean if you know your income will be stable and under the thresholds for 2020.

SpeedyBlueDude

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Provo, Utah
Question, I field my 2018 taxes, and owed the government about $1,000 because my wage is not enough to cover my tips.

I was holding off on filing my 2019 taxes until the last day, since I owe money again and want to wait till I have a bit more saved up before paying Uncle Sam.

I don't need to file my taxes right now to get my $1,200, right? I should be fine with just my 2018 taxes right?

Marnie

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
Question, I field my 2018 taxes, and owed the government about $1,000 because my wage is not enough to cover my tips.

I was holding off on filing my 2019 taxes until the last day, since I owe money again and want to wait till I have a bit more saved up before paying Uncle Sam.

I don't need to file my taxes right now to get my $1,200, right? I should be fine with just my 2018 taxes right?
Correct.

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2019 was my first year filing, and I just did it the other day but I'm not sure it's completely through TurboTax yet? But I'm also receiving disability checks every month. Do I have anything to worry about?

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Ok yeah I could see that. I guess I mean if you know your income will be stable and under the thresholds for 2020.
If your income is under the thresholds for 2020 then either you're either getting a check for previous years, depending if you filed, or you're getting $1200 extra next year (assuming you don't owe).

This isn't $1200 gone from some future refund and you're getting it now but rather you're getting $1200 extra that is paid out now or in 2020.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Question. My fiance is a school teacher and actually has to pay taxes every year. She never gets a refund. Will people who pay receive the check as well? Obviously she doesn't make anywhere close to $75k per year.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
The way it works, to my understanding, is that Congress created a new tax credit for this year for people making under $75,000 AGI (so after certain deductions from your paycheck like health policies). For each person making over $75,000, that $1200 credit decreases by $50 per $1000. So if you're making $95,000 then that tax credit doesn't apply to you.

Now the way they're handing out these checks is based on what you filed for 2019 or 2018 tax-wise. So if you filed for $50,000 In 2019 but you make $95,000 now then you would have to pay back all $1200 next year. Vice-versa if you made $95,000 last year and only $75,000 this year then you wouldn't receive a check but next year you would get $1200 added to your refund, or deducted from how much you owe.

Modify those numbers depending on if you are head of a household or filed jointly or have X number of brats running around.
No, you don't have to pay anything back from this, ever. You can potentially get more money back next year, yes, but any money you get this year will never have to be paid back.

Basically, the bill has a clause that says the amount calculated for the credit can never go below zero. So if you made $10k in 2019 but make $100k dollars in 2020 you will get $1200 this year and "owe" $0 next year.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017

That's pretty much how it works....from Forbes

"The stimulus is an advance of a refundable tax credit on your 2020 taxes.

In other words, the bill created a refundable tax credit and the IRS is paying out the amount of that tax credit to eligible taxpayer now. Since the IRS does not have your 2020 tax year information, it will use a previous year's information to calculate the amount.

This is a tax credit so it is not considered taxable income for 2020.

If the IRS gives you too much of a stimulus check, you could be asked to pay back the difference but not until you file your return on April 15, 2021. You will not be assessed interest on the over-payment amount. If the IRS pays you too little, you'll get the difference added to your tax refund next year."

Link

So unless you make over $75000, there's pretty much nothing to worry about and this is essentially a free check.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
This is me right now. I'm considered an essential employee and my company is keeping me just above the hours line where I'd be able to file for a reduced hours claim, and I'd make a little more than double my current weekly takeaway if I received full UI plus the 600. It just makes me realize how underpaid everyone is that works in a front line service job.
Same, i'm unemployed due to COVID and now I'll be making $900 a week, almost double what I did when I was working.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

this is a really helpful explanation, thanks very much

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty much how it works....from Forbes

"The stimulus is an advance of a refundable tax credit on your 2020 taxes.

In other words, the bill created a refundable tax credit and the IRS is paying out the amount of that tax credit to eligible taxpayer now. Since the IRS does not have your 2020 tax year information, it will use a previous year's information to calculate the amount.

This is a tax credit so it is not considered taxable income for 2020.

If the IRS gives you too much of a stimulus check, you could be asked to pay back the difference but not until you file your return on April 15, 2021. You will not be assessed interest on the over-payment amount. If the IRS pays you too little, you'll get the difference added to your tax refund next year."

Link

So unless you make over $75000, there's pretty much nothing to worry about and this is essentially a free check.

This confuses me a bit. I grossed just over $2700 last year and when I filed my taxes February of this year I got a refund of about $600. My gross income this year, especially since moist likely not getting more work until summer is likely to not be much more then last year. Since it says "If the IRS gives you too much of a stimulus check, you could be asked to pay back the difference but not until you file your return on April 15, 2021" if I only get enough hours worked this year to get my refund up to $800 next year doesn't that mean I'd now owe the IRS $400 next year since I got an advance of $1200 despite me grosing WELL the standard deduction amount?

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
That basically sums up his presidency so far, so yes?
Well remember when he was stealing the entirety of the Omnibus military budget to build his wall? He was eventually able to siphon some of it away because it was designated for building barriers but it's not that easy to re-allocate appropriated money. I'm sure there's some kind of dead man's trigger in the funding to stop them from spending any of it if they aren't disclosing where it's going. I'd like to think the Dems aren't that dumb.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
this is a really helpful explanation, thanks very much

Don't think it is correct, though. There were tax professionals earlier in this thread saying this won't have to be paid back at all based on a clause in the bill.

No, you don't have to pay anything back from this, ever. You can potentially get more money back next year, yes, but any money you get this year will never have to be paid back.

Basically, the bill has a clause that says the amount calculated for the credit can never go below zero. So if you made $10k in 2019 but make $100k dollars in 2020 you will get $1200 this year and "owe" $0 next year.

Yeah, this. There is a lot of confusion out there right now, and even some mainstream websites are saying you have to pay back; others say you don't. I think the confusion comes from earlier iterations of the bill.

If this gets confirmed, we should threadmark this or something because this comes up every couple pages it seems now.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
considering I was single in 2018 and married in 2019 i was confused whether I would get the full benefit since my 2019 joint return hasn't been processed yet but looks like I will get the benefit next year so that's good.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
This confuses me a bit. I grossed just over $2700 last year and when I filed my taxes February of this year I got a refund of about $600. My gross income this year, especially since moist likely not getting more work until summer is likely to not be much more then last year. Since it says "If the IRS gives you too much of a stimulus check, you could be asked to pay back the difference but not until you file your return on April 15, 2021" if I only get enough hours worked this year to get my refund up to $800 next year doesn't that mean I'd now owe the IRS $400 next year since I got an advance of $1200 despite me grosing WELL the standard deduction amount?

They base this off your 2019 refund. If your income was less than 75,000 then you get 1200. Now, if you make more than 75,000 this year, then you may have to pay a some if not all back depending on how much over 75,000 you make this year. If you make under 75k in 2020, you have nothing to worry about.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
They base this off your 2019 refund. If your income was less than 75,000 then you get 1200. Now, if you make more than 75,000 this year, then you may have to pay a some if not all back depending on how much over 75,000 you make this year. If you make under 75k in 2020, you have nothing to worry about.

You shouldn't have to pay anything back based on what some tax professionals were saying earlier in this thread. The pay back is based on an earlier iteration of the bill they were saying.

Gridman

Oct 25, 2017
So, if this is considered an advance on a tax credit on the 2020 taxes, that means if your wages are currently being garnished due to student loan default and your regular tax refund is being taken as a tax offset that you will likely not see this $1200 as it will most likely be taken as tax offset as well?

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think it is correct, though. There were tax professionals earlier in this thread saying this won't have to be paid back at all based on a clause in the bill.

You don't pay it back unless you make over 75,000 in 2020. It will be a tax credit on your next return. It's a free check.

Details

So, if this is considered an advance on a tax credit on the 2020 taxes, that means if your wages are currently being garnished due to student loan default and your regular tax refund is being taken as a tax offset that you will likely not see this $1200 as it will most likely be taken as tax offset as well?

It will be a credit on your next tax return. In other words, you will file your taxes as if this stimulus check never existed. The credit was created so the check is not taxable.

Mett

Oct 29, 2017
I know those in the thread had been asking about Disability/SSI/Retired folks and wanted to copy and paste something I found on AARP.ORG

"
Social Security recipients eligible

AARP worked to ensure that individuals who are collecting Social Security benefits for retirement, disability or Supplemental Security Income will be eligible for the stimulus checks, based on their tax returns or Social Security Administration data. AARP successfully fought to guarantee that low-income Social Security recipients will receive the full $1,200 check, not $600 as originally proposed.

If you are receiving Social Security benefits but didn't file taxes in 2018 or 2019, you will be eligible to receive a stimulus check without a tax return based on data available to the IRS from your annual Social Security benefits statement. The government will send you a direct deposit or check using the information from your Form SSA-1099 Social Security Benefit Statement or your Form RRB-1099 Social Security Equivalent Benefit Statement. You will not have to file a 2019 tax return to get a stimulus check.

The bill does not set a date for when the direct deposits and checks will start to go out, saying only that the Treasury secretary will send the payments "as rapidly as possible." The money could be sent either by mail or direct deposit."

Link here: https://www.aarp.org/politics-society/advocacy/info-2020/coronavirus-stimulus-checks.html

Says you dont need to file anything special or anything and that the info Social Security already sends the IRS would suffice to get you the stimulus check.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
So, for anyone who has done a better job than me of staying on top of this, we still expecting this in May?

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017

Okay thanks! There's no way I'll earn anywhere close to $75k this year so I won't have to worry about paying anything next year. Would I still get a refund next year as well too then? I'm on pace to gross around $5500 this year which is double my 2019 gross of which my refund was $600 so I assume this $1200 advance would take from next years refund and I'd get nothing (unless my refund was going to be more then $1200)? Or would I get my full refund next year as well? I have no clue how tax credits work as this year was the first time I ever did taxes and only just had a W-2.

Gridman

Oct 25, 2017
It will be a credit on your next tax return. In other words, you will file your taxes as if this stimulus check never existed. The credit was created so the check is not taxable.
Okay. Thank you for the clarification! I understand what this is now. (I am working to get my loans out of default but loan rehabilitation is something I don't think I could afford..but I digress.)

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
So this is just an advance? Am I going to have $1200 reduced from my refund next year?
No. This is a new credit.

more to the point, as someone who almost always has to pay taxes because I file a 1099, is this going to make it so I owe more next year?
No. In fact, you may pay less taxes next year, depending on if you get the cash this year or not and if you're eligible or not.

You don't pay it back unless you make over 75,000 in 2020. It will be a tax credit on your next return. It's a free check.

Details

You don't pay it back at all.

At least, not for now. Read your own link.

TKM posted a technical explanation and the language in the bill that supports not paying it back.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

twitter.com

😷 David Gura 🏡 on Twitter

“President Trump "has told people he wants his signature to appear on the direct payment checks," the @WSJ reports. "Normally, a civil servant—the disbursing officer for the payment center—would sign federal checks." https://t.co/X9dibJ474h”

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Okay thanks! There's no way I'll earn anywhere close to $75k this year so I won't have to worry about paying anything next year. Would I still get a refund next year as well too then? I'm on pace to gross around $5500 this year which is double my 2019 gross of which my refund was $600 so I assume this $1200 advance would take from next years refund and I'd get nothing (unless my refund was going to be more then $1200)? Or would I get my full refund next year as well? I have no clue how tax credits work as this year was the first time I ever did taxes and only just had a W-2.

It does not take a penny from your return in 2020. The credit is established to make this check nonexistent as far as taxable income. In other words, let's say your yearly income was 50k and with this check it made it 51200. 2020's tax form will have an automatic credit of 1200 so that they;re only taxing the 50k you made to begin with. I know it's confusing. I had a tax lawyer explain it to me yesterday and it took me a little while to take everything in.