• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
You don't get $600 per week. You get 100% of your weekly income per week, up to $600 + whatever local benefits you earn. So if you make $300/week normally, you get $300/week. If you earn $1600 per week, you get $600 + whatever local.
I don't think that's right.

It's whatever your state says you would get normally plus $600 extra. So if your state said you would get $400 a week you would end up with $1000.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
This is from CNBC

"The new legislation restricts the maximum duration of unemployment benefits to 39 weeks — or, almost 10 months.

So, under the new legislation, a typical worker could expect $985 a week for four months ($600 in extra relief plus state benefits), followed by up to 23 weeks of $385 a week in standard state benefits. Unemployment benefits are taxable."

Easy Rider

Nov 2, 2017
Starting the money printing machine means everyone's dollars are worth less. Getting 1200 when more were printed per person is a bad deal.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend already applied for unemployment because her hours got cut and got $170 per week, can she apply again and get the $600 per ewek?

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
This is from CNBC

"The new legislation restricts the maximum duration of unemployment benefits to 39 weeks — or, almost 10 months.

So, under the new legislation, a typical worker could expect $985 a week for four months ($600 in extra relief plus state benefits), followed by up to 23 weeks of $385 a week in standard state benefits. Unemployment benefits are taxable."
This is going to help me so much the next few months.

Marnie

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
Probably. Last year though, it wouldn't have been the most dishonest thing since I was unemployed and living with them for 7 months.

If they claim you again, you would be ineligible for the check. I would check to see if they are going to claim you if they have not filed their taxes yet. If they are not going to, or have not, I would make sure to file your 2019 right away. For the check, they will be looking at your 2019 taxes first and then your 2018.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
do I have to sign up somewhere for this, or are they just going to send it out automatically because I file my taxes every year?

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Automatically. If you did direct deposit for your refund, it will come via direct deposit. Otherwise, it will come via check. No sign up required.

sweeeeet, this money will actually help quite a bit. Also, I file a 1099 as someone self-employed who gets by with contract work. Without hyperbole, I've recently landed a contract that I can't close on because the people who are signing my contract are hunkered down, so I can't get paid yet. I read they were thinking of expanding unemployment to "freelancers," would I qualify for that?

Marnie

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
sweeeeet, this money will actually help quite a bit. Also, I file a 1099 as someone self-employed who gets by with contract work. Without hyperbole, I've recently landed a contract that I can't close on because the people who are signing my contract are hunkered down, so I can't get paid yet. I read they were thinking of expanding unemployment to "freelancers," would I qualify for that?

By the sounds of it, self-employed people will be eligible for the unemployment benefit. How they will determine that, I am not so sure on.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Definitely a scam. All government correspondences will have a .gov at the end and not a .com.

If you have filed taxes and had your refund set up for direct despot -- or have paid the IRS directly from your bank -- the funds will be sent via direct deposit. No sign up required.

My government office email ends with gov.com haha

I'm sure tons of people think we are scamming them, luckily I don't have to do too much with email.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
What if your state says you get nothing, you would still get the federal money right? States have income minimums usually.
I think you have to qualify for employment. If your in the system you get the benefit of the government expanding it, but you need to get in.

Edit: also the rules have been changed for who can get it, so maybe reapply if you meet the new requirement.

Marnie

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
My government office email ends with gov.com haha

I'm sure tons of people think we are scamming them, luckily I don't have to do too much with email.

I bet that can be confusing for some haha. Though I'm pretty sure federal correspondences will have a .gov.

Any idea when checks would start flowing? Sorry getting lost with all the faqs and details...

Going by what the treasury secretary said, three weeks.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
It's mildly frustrating that you have to wait until the end of the year to get a credit if your income was too high last year. I had a good 2019 since I switched jobs, got a signing bonus and my vacation paid out at my old place, but my AGI will be lower this year, and it was lower in 2018 too.

I don't really want the money for me, but I could give it away now to someone/something that needs it more.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if you have a zero balance with the IRS in a given year if they can still get your account info from your state?

netprints

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So what if I had a kid in 2019. Do you think they will check our 2020 taxes? We just got our refund today.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I think you have to qualify for employment. If your in the system you get the benefit of the government expanding it, but you need to get in.

Edit: also the rules have been changed for who can get it, so maybe reapply if you meet the new requirement.
Yeah the way it sounds is anyone who is out of work due to this qualifies so idk, they will have to get a page set up I guess. Or update existing pages.

Marnie

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
So what if I had a kid in 2019. Do you think they will check our 2020 taxes? We just got our refund today.

Did you claim your child on your 2019 tax returns (by 2019, I mean the ones you filed in 2020)? If so, they will be looking at 2019 tax returns first to determine the amount you receive so you should get something for them as well.

Dec 31, 2017
So if you haven't filed taxes for this year yet (and don't have a 2018 return) what is the process here?

File taxes for this year and it will be automatic?

Marnie

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
So if you haven't filed taxes for this year yet (and don't have a 2018 return) what is the process here?

Yes, file taxes. They will base your check on your latest return (2019 first, and then 2018) and they will send it via direct deposit if they have your banking information on file.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

How does the U.S. government know where to send the money? If you have already filed a 2019 tax return (that's the one most people are working on now), the Internal Revenue Service will use the direct deposit information on your 2019 return to send your payment to your bank account. If you don't provide the IRS with your direct deposit details or you closed that account, then the IRS will mail you a check.

If you have yet to file a 2019 tax return, the IRS will see if you have filed a 2018 tax return and use that information to determine whether you meet the qualifications for a check and to find your bank details or mailing address.