• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
They window tactic seems okay. I still feel it's not enough tho. I'll take it, however. Just get the package passed already.

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
The issue comes from the inability of our educational system to teach basic civics in school. I've noticed a lot of people don't know basic government functions; yet, they are quick to get angry, when things don't go their way. It's depressing.

What we have now is the result of a 50/50 Senate. We are lucky to be getting covid relief at this point.
So true. Civic engagement is more than just casting your vote. It's contacting and putting pressure on your representatives. It also includes getting involved at the local level with the party, and pushing to make it more progressive.

Civics is no longer a required course, and people don't understand the basics of how legislation is passed. The Dems are behaving like they have definitely learned their lesson from 2009. They are pushing through, and not entertaining the fantasy of the GOP being bipartisan.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Most Likely, this will be for large companies and not a federal mandate for everyone. Remember, the Republican talking point was that small businesses couldn't support a $15 hike.

This kills that completely.
Sounding like it'll also include a tax incentive for small businesses that pay more. Which, if Manchin's complaint on that end is that $15 would cost them too much to operate (most true in his state, if anything), then that would solve that issue for him. So, yeah, I could see it getting Manchin's support, and maybe a few pub jackals.

It's not a replacement for MW increase, but it's better than nothing.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
They are literally working on the covid 19 bill right now. Everyone wanted the useless theatrics of the Impeachment trial. Everyone knew that would delay things. Negative threads aren't banned. Bullshit threads are.
Exactly, but you know....

Anyway, let's just set minimum wage aside and pass COVID relief (revisit in a future bill). Makes the most sense.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So explain this to me Era. You have two options in 2022 if Dems are not able to pass important legislation.

Option 1: vote Dem and try to get more Senate seats so that shit gets done

Option 2: give up and don't vote, leaving room for the Reps to get more seats

Seriously, why is people's reaction to "Dems don't have enough votes in Senate" to give up on the party, stop voting and leave Reps in power? Makes no sense.

Because they are entitled. They think that their one time voting should be the end all be all.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Very interested to see how big businesses adjust to weasel out of something like this. Like McDonald's arguing that they have franchisees and those much smaller companies coincidentally don't meet the threshold for $15/hr

Oct 25, 2017
Not a damn thing. The only thing Republicans did was pass a tax cut for the rich, which was through reconciliation. Republicans don't govern; they just obstruct.

Yup, he didn't pass shit. But I think a bunch of that owes to the inherent gridlock of the Senate. 50 +VP just isn't good enough to pass any major legislation, as there's too much incentive to waffle and appear centrist for the median 20 Senators. Shit's just broken.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
FYI I believe that this may take any income tax changes off the table for the year.

They would need to focus on trying a budge reconciliation on taxes in 2022

They're currently doing budget reconciliation for FY 2021, which started in Oct 2020. If they wanted to, they can use reconciliation for FY 2022 (Oct 2021) in a few months after this one gets through.

Deleted member 2699

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because they are entitled. They think that their one time voting should be the end all be all.

People aren't entitled. They want their lives to be better in this shithole country. If the dems continually promise to do that, but don't what motivation should anyone have to vote for them? A vague promise of "this time we mean it ya'll"? Nobody will fucking believe them. You can only cry wolf so many times before that shit stops working.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
People aren't entitled. They want their lives to be better in this shithole country. If the dems continually promise to do that, but don't what motivation should anyone have to vote for them? A vague promise of "this time we mean it ya'll"? Nobody will fucking believe them. You can only cry wolf so many times before that shit stops working.
The issue with this binary view is that the government in general, and especially the Senate in particular, isn't as binary as "IN POWER / OUT OF POWER." A 50+VP majority in the Senate is not at all the same as a 53 or 54 seat majority. This parliamentarian thing wouldn't be an issue if people had voted 53-54 Dems into the Senate instead of 50 + VP.

Sinema and Manchin are shitheads if they let progress die at the feet of the filibuster, yes, but Sinema and Manchin being shitheads only matters because voters in Maine, North Carolina, Iowa, South Carolina, Texas, etc. sent Republicans to the senate instead of the vastly superior Democratic senate candidate.

Why would I stop supporting my local representative because a representative from a different place is shitty?

Deleted member 2699

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The issue with this binary view is that the government in general, and especially the Senate in particular, isn't as binary as "IN POWER / OUT OF POWER." A 50+VP majority in the Senate is not at all the same as a 53 or 54 seat majority. This parliamentarian thing wouldn't be an issue if people had voted 53-54 Dems into the Senate instead of 50 + VP.

Sinema and Manchin are shitheads if they let progress die at the feet of the filibuster, yes, but Sinema and Manchin being shitheads only matters because voters in Maine, North Carolina, Iowa, South Carolina, Texas, etc. sent Republicans to the senate instead of the vastly superior Democratic senate candidate.

Why would I stop supporting my local representative because a representative from a different place is shitty?

"You dummys just didn't VOTE hard enough. Now try again and maybe we'll let you have a $15 minimum wage by 2030"

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Not only can Republicans can obstruct, they can pass anything they set their mind to because their constituents have been conditioned to expect them to not reach across the aisle.
really how come the ACA appeal didnt pass? and besides trump tax cuts what else did they pass? I swear some of you are such defeatists you just immediately make shit up in your head cannon to justify your defeatism.

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
There is plenty of entitlement. People have the attitude that all they have to do is vote, and they should instantly get everything they want. Civic engagement is more than just voting. It requires organizing, and pressuring the party from within and without to get what we want. We are in this spot because it's a 50-50 Senate. If we would have won even just two more seats, then we'd be in a much better spot.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
There is plenty of entitlement. People have the attitude that all they have to do is vote, and they should instantly get everything they want. Civic engagement is more than just voting. It requires organizing, and pressuring the party from within and without to get what we want. We are in this spot because it's a 50-50 Senate. If we would have won even just two more seats, then we'd be in a much better spot.
People risked their lives to vote in record numbers and give the Dems the slight majority. The least the Dems can do is fight for us, which right now means convincing two dumbass senators to nuke the filibuster. How do you think the Dems won Georgia? Exactly how you said. Now the ball is in the Dems court.

Deleted member 2699

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Antagonizing other users
You didn't respond to a single thing I actually wrote.

You didn't write anything of value so I didn't bother.

Stop this entitlement shit. You sound like a Republican.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

if you're going to take this tact at least don't use "we"

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
"You dummys just didn't VOTE hard enough. Now try again and maybe we'll let you have a $15 minimum wage by 2030"

He made a perfectly valid and fine point and you shitposted in return. Like, this is so on point here that I don't know what to say.

In the end I just don't know that we have the stomach to persist and get that change we say we want so bad. One week into his presidency people were already on the "What did I vote for"wagon, and here we are 1 month into the term and its already "Im never voting again" when we have 3.9 years left of this presidential term and another 1.8 years with this house and senate setup, fresh off a full 4 years of nightmare and a damn coup attempt that hasnt left the news cycle yet. And what has prompted this reaction? An attempt by Dems to get 15/hr min wage passed. Unreal.

It often feels like people are just waiting for a chance to jump OUT. Meanwhile hatred bias and racism fuels the other side, and that wont ever stop burning hot. It gets annoying. I desperately cant wait to move out of this country. Im sick of it. Not just the politicians, but the attitudes of the electorate are beginning to grate as well. If others can jump the sinking ship, I sure as hell can too.

Last edited:

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
You didn't write anything of value so I didn't bother.
BURN. Got'em.

I explained how voting more Dems into power actually would have mitigated this specific issue, and that there are two specific Democrats, from AZ and WV, who are fucking things up here. So a kneejerk "omg do nothing dem party sux" attitude does absolutely nothing to demonstrate knowledge of how our parliamentary body works or why this is happening, and it will do nothing to help this issue in the future.

If we want to be able to pass stuff like a higher minimum wage without having to walk tightropes around arcane Senate procedure bullshit then we either need (a) more democrats in the Senate or (b) better democrats from AZ (likely) and WV (unlikely). If Sinema (AZ) actually stands in the way of progress for the next two years I will be the first to call for her to be primaried. Get her out and vote someone better in.

I tend to believe that discussing what the problem is and what we actually need to do to fix or avoid it has value. Not that I don't enjoy a good shitpost now and then, but c'mon.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018

When Dems had 59+Lieberman in the senate for a few months in early 2010, they passed the ACA which cut the number of uninsured by half and added protections for preexisting conditions. It would've given even more people free healthcare if red states didn't successfully block Medicaid expansion. After ACA was signed March 2010, the country voted out 5 Democratic senators in Nov 2010.

No one D or R gets much done through a closely divided senate. Social security was enacted under FDR when 72% of the senate was Democratic. Medicare was enacted under LBJ when 68% was Democratic. It's not crying wolf when you never reach 60% or get 50% to abolish the filibuster.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
People risked their lives to vote in record numbers and give the Dems the slight majority. The least the Dems can do is fight for us, which right now means convincing two dumbass senators to nuke the filibuster. How do you think the Dems won Georgia? Exactly how you said. Now the ball is in the Dems court.

How do you think the Dems lost Maine, Iowa, and NC? Republicans, rich and poor, risked their lives to vote in record numbers in those states to prevent Dems from getting to 52 or 53 mostly on "own the libs" and cultural war sentiments while their lives were not materially improved by the GOP.. This is the *relative* entitlement that is being talked about.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Again...I wish someone smarter than me would create an American Civics 101 thread on this forum. The constant "Dems have a majority so why isn't shit getting done" posts are abundant.

maxxpower

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
How do you think the Dems lost Maine, Iowa, and NC? Republicans, rich and poor, risked their lives to vote in record numbers in those states to prevent Dems from getting to 52 or 53 mostly on "own the libs" and cultural war sentiments while their lives were not materially improved by the GOP.. This is the *relative* entitlement that is being talked about.
I don't care about the GOP. We risked our lives to give the Dems the slight majority. All I demand is that they fight for our rights. Our right to vote, our right to protect LGBTQ people, our right to better healthcare.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, sounds like the type of shit I used to post on GAF when I was 17.
Yeah, not understanding how government works can make this shit all seem pointless, so I understand the frustrations. I doubt Dem turnout at the ballot box would be better if they just campaigned on "I will try my best to get shit done in this system." Candidates have to have something to shoot for.

I don't care about the GOP. We risked our lives to give the Dems the slight majority. All I demand is that they fight for our rights. Our right to vote, our right to protect LGBTQ people, our right to better healthcare.
Do you think they are actively fighting against this?

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Again...I wish someone smarter than me would create an American Civics 101 thread on this forum. The constant "Dems have a majority so why isn't shit getting done" posts are abundant.
Yeah, that would be good considering how so much of this site has involved U.S. political discussion.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I think most people here understand just a majority is not enough, they just don't like that we're not a unified front on an objectively good issue

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018

The GOP is doing more to block those things than Dems are - even Manchin and Sinema, so you should care about them.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

US House of Representatives passes Equality Act, moves to US Senate 224-206

Wonder if this or the Rescue Plan reaches Biden's desk first. Both are very important legislative achievements. The 3 Republicans who voted for the bill:

Is this not happening?

maxxpower

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Do you think they are actively fighting against this?
They're not fighting against it, but they're not fighting for it right now. We all know that theyonly way to pass meaningful legislation these two years is to nuke the filibuster. There's no other choice. My question is what are we waiting for. Start trying to convince Manchin and Sinema to vote for it.