• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
if after 4 years, someone has to spoonfed you Hillary potential polices, you never cared about policies.
Like you said, it's been four years, means those policies weren't so resonating. The campaign pointed fingers and virtue signaled so much that that's what resonates in my head. Hillary was not the one for us, obviously not Trump either.

Idk how she still has defenders till this day despite her being such a weak candidate.

Oct 27, 2017
The Republican Party, y'all. Almost surgical in their cruelty and shamelessness.

She does, and she doesn't care.

You think conservatives give a crap about such a thing as being hated by a majority of the country? They've got a mission.
I don't think they care, I just want them to let us live in their heads rent free. The conservative mindset is ruled by fear. They fear us.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Biden being as plain and bland as he is doesn't really feel like someone who'll push for the deep changes you guys need in the US. Seems to me like more of a centrist, both sides, "we are all america!" type of guy so good luck with him and the republicans continuing their shitty endeavors.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why didn't Dems stall? Our party is so fucking pathetic, it is ridiculous.
How? They pulled evry trick in the book. There is a senate rule that says at least two members of minority must be present to cast a vote out of Judiciary. Dems made a no show so by Senate's rule the vote cannot happen . Republicans voted for her anyway. What can you do? They don't care.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
A law like that would definitely not be retroactive. But you're right, we need both.

I don't see it as a personal thing, dw. I get the sentiment. But it's destructive. To yourself, and those around you. I completely understand— and to be completely honest, there's a very large part lf me that feels like you are right.

But I'm not going to accept this. I'm going to be optimistic. If not for myself, for those around me that are even worse off. The world doesn't need more nihilism. And I'll happily keep all of those feelings to myself and those closest to me.

Because hey, maybe someone will feel a little bit better when I tell them it'll be alright.

Because goddammit, it will all be alright. And I'll be fine.

(phone post sorry if it gets illegible anywhere)

Nah, it's fine. Like I said, I don't really agree and I don't see my viewpoint as nihilism, but I see you had the original post deleted, so I won't press it. There's nothing to worry about for me lol, but I appreciate the thought. You have a good one, and take care of yourself.

I'm not trying to silence you or anything, but I think it's a moral imperative to take people who are on the edge of suicide into account when you talk about sensitive subjects. There are a million ways to express yourself that don't involve blunt, unnuanced statements like "it's over," or implications that you'll be dead/geriatric before anything gets better. And blithe "there are hotlines amirite" type statements are far-too-often used as a catch-all way of brushing off the suicidal.

And yelling at the suicidal that they're bullying or suppressing you is just fucking wretched.

I wasn't talking to them in that statement about bullying and suppressing, and to be frank, this conversation didn't really involve you, and most of what I said was not towards anyone unless they responded directly to me in this thread. So, it's gross to misrepresent what is being said, and if you aren't actively trying to do that, you should probably actually follow what's being said in conversations about sensitive topics before chiming in if you have any kind of legit feelings about them as you say.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Like you said, it's been four years, means those policies weren't so resonating. The campaign pointed fingers and virtue signaled so much that that's what resonates in my head. Hillary was not the one for us, obviously not Trump either.

Idk how she still has defenders till this day despite her being such a weak candidate.

Sounds like you already made up your mind before even looking up any policies.

So whats that point of even attempting to talk about policy?

Also in a thread about Trump getting his third supreme court justice. apparently the supreme court was not a policy point.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Dems should literally stack the court super hard then put through legislation that slowly bans the idea of supporting conservatism as it's terrorism. Make it illegal to be a scumbag of that level.
No what they need to do is pack the court and then change the laws when they are done to make sure the Republicans can't do it back if they take power again. Cut them off before they even get the chance.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The Republicans just did exactly what the Democrats should have done if they had been in the same position.

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
To be clear, this sucks, but hope is not lost. Let's get through this election, then see what options exist beyond that. And, there are options, and Biden/Harris have not shut those down yet.

Progress isn't linear. There are dips if not dramatic backtrackings. However, we gotta keep pushing (and voting) to keep the overall, long-term trend progressive.
This. Let's get this election done first.

Discussion Guidelines

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
It's natural and understandable that posters will want to vent at this news. However, the news itself is stressful enough without having members exposed to pages full of doomposting and depressing material. We will be threadbanning anybody we feel is taking things so far that it might harm your fellow posters.

Anybody taking the opportunity to engage in political trolling or picking fights (such as 2016 relitigation) will be banned.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I wasn't talking to them in that statement about bullying and suppressing, and to be frank, this conversation didn't really involve you, and most of what I said was not towards anyone unless they responded directly to me in this thread. So, it's gross to misrepresent what is being said, and if you aren't actively trying to do that, you should probably actually follow what's being said in conversations about sensitive topics before chiming in.

Please reflect on your attitude toward this. There are so many ways to express yourself that aren't openly harmful to others.

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
User Threadbanned: Vioalting the discussion guidelines
Sounds like you already made up your mind before even looking up any policies.

So whats that point of even attempting to talk about policy?
I work in the ABA field, she got my vote because of the autism support proposals.

Want to stop being coy now?

Gamesadict

Oct 25, 2017
User Threadbanned: Vioalting the discussion guidelines
Cool, hope those protest votes, "both are the same"s and masturbated egos were worth it.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Imagine whining about "virtue signaling" in 2020.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Biden being as plain and bland as he is doesn't really feel like someone who'll push for the deep changes you guys need in the US. Seems to me like more of a centrist, both sides, "we are all america!" type of guy so good luck with him and the republicans continuing their shitty endeavors.

The thing is, Biden responds to the will of his Party. It's equal parts frustrating and one of his biggest assets.

The work, from this point forward, from the grassroots on up, is to make "expanding to courts" the will of the Party. Voices like AOC, Warren and Buttigieg have already started softening the ground on this issue (others have too, but these are the names that immediately come to mind).

I'm trying not to gloom over this moment, because truthfully we knew the very hour RBG died this is where we'd end up. I'm taking my anger and applying it toward reasonable steps we can take to help prevent the unthinkable amounts of damage a 6-3 conservative court could bring. There's some hope there.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of procedural stuff they could have done that would have likely delayed the vote past the election.
No. At the end of the day, in the Senate there is nothing the minority party can do to stop or slow down anything the majority party wants to do, it just depends on how much the majority wants it.

That is, after all, the whole way we're going to expand the court, reform immigration, pass covid stimulus bills, and everything else come January

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
I was going to write up a long encouraging post but I think i got a good short one...

No amount of hate, restriction or tyranny will ever be able to remove the love we have for our fellow citizens in our hearts. No person or court will ever be able to change that. Sure they can make life a lot harder for us, but we can make that hard for them. And we can help make life easier for each other. There is no defeat here, they've only gained a new piece on the board.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I know a lot of people see the Kavanaugh situation and wonder why this couldn't be dragged out a similar amount, but the problem with that line of thinking is that Republicans could afford to wait it out and let everything shake loose before forcing him through. Even if somehow he hadn't gotten through they'd have had an eternity to force someone else through. In this case it was a clear do-or-die where they probably felt they absolutely had to get Barrett through regardless of the political repercussions down the line. Procedural stuff is easy to do away with when you have the majority and you're not worried about the backlash.

It's not that the Democrats didn't want to drag it out. It just wasn't going to happen.

Oct 30, 2017
This is awful; hard to stomach such an unrepresentative SC. I'll take my crow because when RBG died I said this wouldn't happen until after the election. I thought at the time that this would be an electoral poison pill for the R's but I was wrong :(

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
There's a lot of procedural stuff they could have done that would have likely delayed the vote past the election.

No, they did literally everything at their ability to do. The filibuster was nuked with Trump's first pick.

I mean, look, I'm no fan of establishment Dems, but you're barking at the wrong truck here.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The thing is, Biden responds to the will of his Party. It's equal parts frustrating and one of his biggest assets.

The work, from this point forward, from the grassroots on up, is to make "expanding to courts" the will of the Party. Voices like AOC, Warren and Buttigieg have already started softening the ground on this issue (others have too, but these are the names that immediately come to mind).

I'm trying not to gloom over this moment, because truthfully we knew the very hour RBG died this is where we'd end up. I'm taking my anger and applying it toward reasonable steps we can take to help prevent the unthinkable amounts of damage a 6-3 conservative court could bring. There's some hope there.

You need someone with the drive and energy of AOC, not the milquetoast Biden :/

But whatever, best of luck guys. There will be better times, hopefully from next tuesday and unto the future...

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I was going to write up a long encouraging post but I think i got a good short one...

No amount of hate, restriction or tyranny will ever be able to remove the love we have for our fellow citizens in our hearts. No person or court will ever be able to change that. Sure they can make life a lot harder for us, but we can make that hard for them. And we can help make life easier for each other. There is no defeat here, they've only gained a new piece on the board.
The only silver lining is the amount of power states have.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
This is awful; hard to stomach such an unrepresentative SC. I'll take my crow because when RBG died I said this wouldn't happen until after the election. I thought at the time that this would be an electoral poison pill for the R's but I was wrong :(

Well, here's the thing you have to remember, to pack the courts, especially the Supreme Court, has been the GOP goal for literally decades. Yes, they may lose some elections, but through this they solidified their grasp on power even if they lose elections for decades. And they also know that eventually the chambers will flip.

It's sort of a losing the battle, but winning the war sort of thing. There was just no way they were going to let another SC seat slip them by.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
The only silver lining is the amount of power states have.
Don't miss my point. It's about perspective. The states could all fail but I'd still have myself, my family and my friends until I don't. And when I don't have them, I've still got me. And when I lose that, well then that's when it's really over. The silver lining is US.

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
The moment we lay down and declare it's "over" is when it's truly over, am I angry about this? Extremely! Am I going to doom and gloom over this? Nope! Unless I'm fucking dead it's worth it to fight against bullshit like this no matter how bad the odds are stacked against us. it's easy to feel depressed stressed and anxiety from this but, do not give up hope please we can fight this.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
I've noticed that people are voting just to get rid of Trump or key Senate Republicans or even supreme court judges. But what happened to voting for changes in how things are going in the USA? Like, real tangible changes, not some idea of change, but laws that benefit everyone.

The point that people are just going to the polls just to get rid of someone out of office, do not understand the real reason these government positions are for. I think America as a whole has lost their way in what true politics are about. Making laws that benefit everyone.

Yayate

Banned
Feb 8, 2018
You need someone with the drive and energy of AOC, not the milquetoast Biden :/

But whatever, best of luck guys. There will be better times, hopefully from next tuesday and unto the future...

Even when be becomes the president, Biden's will is not gonna dictate the party line. He's not going to shoot down a Dem bill he may not personally agree with— especially if Harris also wants it.

His opinion isn't the most important part— its those around him that matter.

And those around him have increasingly started cheering to expand the court. From the teams Biden established way back when he became the nominee, we know he is actually giving progressive voices an ear.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Lets pack the fucking courts!!!

I'm so glad that Biden was non-committal on court packing, maybe the Dems finally realized that playing fair against the Cons is always playing a loosing game.