• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
talkingpointsmemo.com

Senate Approves Proposal To Strip Confederate Names From Army Bases By Veto-Proof Majority

The Senate overwhelmingly approved a defense bill on Thursday that included Sen. Elizabeth Warren's (D-MA) provision requiring the military to rename U.S. bases named after Confederate generals.
The Senate overwhelmingly approved a defense bill on Thursday that included Sen. Elizabeth Warren's (D-MA) provision requiring the military to rename U.S. bases named after Confederate generals.

The bill passed by a vote of 86-14, a veto-proof majority that would override President Donald Trump's effort to kill the measure, which he had threatened to do at the end of June after Warren announced her proposal.

"I will Veto the Defense Authorization Bill if the Elizabeth 'Pocahontas' Warren (of all people!) Amendment, which will lead to the renaming (plus other bad things!) of Fort Bragg, Fort Robert E. Lee, and many other Military Bases from which we won Two World Wars, is in the Bill!" he tweeted at the time.

Warren slammed Trump's hostile response on the Senate floor shortly afterward, declaring that the President had "chosen a well-worn path of hatred and division."

"The Confederate soldiers who betrayed the United States to fight for the Confederacy were fighting for the institution of slavery. Plain. Simple. Ugly," the Democratic senator said. "It is time to put the names of those leaders who fought and killed U.S. soldiers in defense of a perverted version of America where they belong, as footnotes in our history books, not plastered on our nation's most significant military installations."

There are currently ten Army bases named after Confederate generals.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
If there's one thing that Republicans love more than racism it's defense spending.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
There are still things wrong with the defense spending bill but it's a good thing that the bases will change their names

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
If there's one thing that Republicans love more than racism it's defense spending.

They are doing everything they can to save their seats. A lot of them know their unyielding support for Trump has finally come back to bite them in the ass so they are doing a Hail Mary "Country over Party" maneuver at the 11th hour.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
This is them trying to turn around their Senate fortunes with an added bit of more military money. Insurance albeit shit insurance. Let's get their asses out.

Oct 25, 2017
This is shocking to me honestly. I mean I know they're finally realizing Trump is rotting meat at this point, but all Republicans know is the double down burger. Even if they abandon Trump, they lose the energized voting base they've cultivated that comes with it come November. They lose whether they defy Agent Orange or not. Good luck with all that.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
This is shocking to me honestly. I mean I know they're finally realizing Trump is rotting meat at this point, but all Republicans know is the double down burger. Even if they abandon Trump, they lose the energized voting base they've cultivated that comes with it come November. They lose whether they defy Agent Orange or not. Good luck with all that.
This bill is 99.9% other things, this isn't about abandoning Trump so much as giving the democrats something so they can claim victory while still pushing through a whole lot of other garbage.

Statik

alt account
Banned
Jul 17, 2020
Before people celebrate, this isn't finalized. There are two bills, both of which will have to be reconciled before another vote takes place. Trump can also exercise his power of the line item veto, which empowers him with the authority to remove a provision like this. It's all but certain he'll do that, and I think it's also obvious this is political theater in the run up to November, as Republicans pretend that they're not beholden to Trump.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Fort John McCain.

Make it happen.

One point of contention here ... This can still be vetoed. But then it goes back to the senate who affirms it again with a veto proof majority, at which point it becomes law. Sometimes when the president vetos a bill even when it's passed overwhelmingly like in this case, some senators may peel off to keep the president from looking bad

I kinda expect that to happen. Have Republicans table it until 2021 and have Biden sign it and then try to make a culture war out of it.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trump will just refuse to sign it or sign it and then issue an executive order preventing them from renaming them

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Kyle Kondik @kkondik

Loeffler is the epitome of the phrase "trying too hard"

Conor Sen @conorsen

You pick the woman to win back "suburban housewives" because she's going to...fight to keep bases named after Confederates.

13eesr2.png

10:34 PM · Jul 23, 2020
10:37 PM · Jul 23, 2020

Kelly Loeffler @KLoeffler

As the daughter and granddaughter of veterans, I was proud to stand with @TomCottonAR to fund our military and provide pay raises to the men and women who keep America safe. Nothing is more important to me than backing those who put their lives on the line to protect ours.

I have been clear from the beginning that we do NOT need to rename our bases and I will work with @realDonaldTrump to remove this provision once and for all.

We can't let political games distract us as we strengthen our military, enhance national security, and support our American heroes. We must put America first.

10:12 PM · Jul 23, 2020

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Before people celebrate, this isn't finalized. There are two bills, both of which will have to be reconciled before another vote takes place. Trump can also exercise his power of the line item veto, which empowers him with the authority to remove a provision like this. It's all but certain he'll do that, and I think it's also obvious this is political theater in the run up to November, as Republicans pretend that they're not beholden to Trump.
There is no line item veto.

Occasionally Presidents have pushed for it, but they have never succeeded. The President's veto is all or nothing.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Would seem you're right. It was removed in 98, though Republicans tried and failed to restore it under Bush Jr.
Good stuff! You had me kind of scared for a moment there. I thought you knew something I didn't, or there was some fuckery that happened with the president being granted some sort of limited line item veto authority.

Tlaloc

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That won't happen since they are typically (and required to be? I think?) named after military members.
As much as I disliked him, a Ft. McCain would be hilarious
Lame but hey we got a lot of black and brown military members to pick from. I nominate Cleto L. Rodriguez, Jose M. Lopez, Vernon Baker and Edward A Carter. All MOH recipient's.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
How will the soldiers know how to shoot the gun if their fort isn't named after the slavers

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Plenty of Legitimate Heroes who have served that should have bases named after them. Many of the Confederate Officers were not even very good at their job. they were simply named after them because it was the south asserting itself.

Fort Rivers seems like a good option.Ruben Rivers WWII MOH

Statik

alt account
Banned
Jul 17, 2020
Good stuff! You had me kind of scared for a moment there. I thought you knew something I didn't, or there was some fuckery that happened with the president being granted some sort of limited line item veto authority.
lol, no, you're definitely on the money. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump refuses to sign it as a signal to his base, though. It'll still become law, regardless, but he's that racist and petty.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
veto-proof majority is a meaningless statement. If trump actually follows through with a veto (I doubt it) the votes will change

There is no line item veto.

Occasionally Presidents have pushed for it, but they have never succeeded. The President's veto is all or nothing.

clinton succeeded in getting it passed but it was quickly ruled unconstitutional

Trump will probably just issue a signing statement saying he will ignore it which is close enough

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Yeah, it's too early to celebrate.

The unitary traitor in chief can fuck with this. Also the House.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
WALLACE: But the military says they're for this.
TRUMP: …excuse me, excuse me. I don't care what the military says. I do – I'm supposed to make the decision. Fort Bragg is a big deal. We won two World Wars, nobody even knows General Bragg. We won two World Wars. Go to that community where Fort Bragg is, in a great state, I love that state, go to the community, say how do you like the idea of renaming Fort Bragg, and then what are we going to name it
We're going to name it after the Reverend Al Sharpton? What are you going to name it, Chris, tell me what you're going to name it? So there's a whole thing here. We won two World Wars, two World Wars, beautiful World Wars that were vicious and horrible, and we won them out of Fort Bragg, we won out of all of these forts that now they want to throw those names away.
And, no, I'm against that, and you know what, most other people are. And I even – I don't believe in polls because I see the fakest polls I've ever seen, but that poll is a 64 percent thing, which actually surprised me. We won World Wars out of these military bases. No, I'm not going to go changing them, I'm not going to go changing them.
WALLACE: So you'll veto them?
TRUMP: I might. Yeah, I might.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WALLACE: But the military says they're for this.
TRUMP: …excuse me, excuse me. I don't care what the military says. I do – I'm supposed to make the decision. Fort Bragg is a big deal. We won two World Wars, nobody even knows General Bragg. We won two World Wars. Go to that community where Fort Bragg is, in a great state, I love that state, go to the community, say how do you like the idea of renaming Fort Bragg, and then what are we going to name it
We're going to name it after the Reverend Al Sharpton? What are you going to name it, Chris, tell me what you're going to name it? So there's a whole thing here. We won two World Wars, two World Wars, beautiful World Wars that were vicious and horrible, and we won them out of Fort Bragg, we won out of all of these forts that now they want to throw those names away.
And, no, I'm against that, and you know what, most other people are. And I even – I don't believe in polls because I see the fakest polls I've ever seen, but that poll is a 64 percent thing, which actually surprised me. We won World Wars out of these military bases. No, I'm not going to go changing them, I'm not going to go changing them.
WALLACE: So you'll veto them?
TRUMP: I might. Yeah, I might.

lmao, way to diminish the sacrifices of WW1and WW2 vets. hes basically saying "we won cause look at these base names"

also beautiful world wars that were vicious and horrible? Which is it?

Caddywompus

Mar 10, 2018
Wow what a lopsided vote in the Senate. Never thought I would see that from this partisan controlled Senate. Is this one of those bills Republicans glossed over when they saw defense funding?

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
"It is time to put the names of those leaders who fought and killed U.S. soldiers in defense of a perverted version of America where they belong, as footnotes in our history books, not plastered on our nation's most significant military installations."

A little louder for the people in the back.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow what a lopsided vote in the Senate. Never thought I would see that from this partisan controlled Senate. Is this one of those bills Republicans glossed over when they saw defense funding?
Republicans got everything they wanted and all they had to do was throw a bone about renaming bases to Dems.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
republicans don't actually care about the names. that was just something to yell about in front of their easily manipulated voters. they don't care about anything other than money and staying in power. this deal enriched people who will in turn enrich them and keep them in power.