• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Even if it mutated (which is heavily disputed) it's unlikely to mutate so much that previously infected have no immunity
Yeah, from my understanding they had actually all but confirmed that if you get it once its extremely unlikely to get it again.

He's still an asshole, and its a weird thing to say like that but, I mean he's not wrong (from what we know)

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
You may be immune once you get it, but people who get it are having strokes and whatnot, so I'd rather not be in that group of already had it.

Oct 28, 2018
All evidence is pointing to the development of immunity after infection, otherwise we'd be seeing tons of reinfections. I don't know why people insist on making this a debatable point, any virologist interviewed will tell you that this was assumed from the beginning and everything we've seen so far has shown this to be the case. The only question is the length of immunity, but in the short term Rand is 100% correct.

abcnews.go.com

Revealing S. Korean studies show antibodies could thwart COVID-19 reinfection, spread

Results from two new South Korean studies shed light on whether antibodies will be a reliable form of protection against COVID-19 for those who have recovered.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ people. That is not how any of this works. Influenza is constantly changing and most years there is a new flu strain, and a new vaccine required. If you have a particular flu strain, yes you are immune to that strain.

Partisan politics has broken people's brains to the points where some of ya'll are being obtuse about really basic science. Paul is a dickhead, but is probably right. Could he still wear a mask to set an example and show solidarity? Sure, but let's argue that point instead.
This thread is a trip.

Fuck science to own the GOP.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All evidence is pointing to the development of immunity after infection, otherwise we'd be seeing tons of reinfections. I don't know why people insist on making this a debatable point, any virologist interviewed will tell you that this was assumed from the beginning and everything we've seen so far has shown this to be the case. The only question is the length of immunity, but in the short term Rand is 100% correct.

abcnews.go.com

Revealing S. Korean studies show antibodies could thwart COVID-19 reinfection, spread

Results from two new South Korean studies shed light on whether antibodies will be a reliable form of protection against COVID-19 for those who have recovered.

Damn bro, someone should tell Dr. Anthony Fauci that he doesn't know what he's talking about when he says things like, for example, that just because you are immune today, you might not be immune tomorrow because we don't know how long the antibodies last in our system nor do we know the amount of antibodies that need to be present to actually achieve immunity, that the presence of antibodies is not the same as being immune, that getting over the sickness does not mean you are immune, simply that you had antibodies at one point enough to cure your previous infection.

Someone tweet to him ASAP, I'm sure he doesn't know "basic science." He'll surely "trip." Doesn't he know how simple it all is, antibodies = invincible?? He should get smart, like Rand Paul.

I'm sure when he says things like the amount of exposure to the virus matters, that there is a difference between brief re-exposure and massive re-exposure is important, he's just anti-science. Surely someone like a senator shouldn't have to worry about getting an abnormally high amount of reexposure compared to the average patient. Nope, absolutely no reason to assume that at all.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes it has? Korea just release an article saying you can't get reinfected

Oh, you mean this study? https://abcnews.go.com/Health/south...antibodies-protect-covid-19/story?id=70312111

The one that cautions, "It's still unclear how long antibodies last in people who have recovered."

al31e7E.jpg

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
This man has such shitty luck (which he deserves) that the next article is going to read "Rand Paul has once again been infected with COVID-19"

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
South Korea: "A high level of antibodies is being shown to be effective against reinfection."

Population: "So if I have antibodies, I'm INVINCIBLE"

South Korea: "No, wait, antibodies don't last forever, and we don't know the amount of antibodies necessary for immunity, and current mass testing simply detects the presence of antibodies, not the amount"

Population: "IN-FUCKING-VINCIBLE."

Oct 28, 2018
Damn bro, someone should tell Dr. Anthony Fauci that he doesn't know what he's talking about when he says things like, for example, that just because you are immune today, you might not be immune tomorrow because we don't know how long the antibodies last in our system nor do we know the amount of antibodies that need to be present to actually achieve immunity, that the presence of antibodies is not the same as being immune, that getting over the sickness does not mean you are immune, simply that you had antibodies at one point enough to cure your previous infection.

Someone tweet to him ASAP, I'm sure he doesn't know "basic science." He'll surely "trip." Doesn't he know how simple it all is, antibodies = invincible?? He should get smart, like Rand Paul.

I'm sure when he says things like the amount of exposure to the virus matters, that there is a difference between brief re-exposure and massive re-exposure is important, he's just anti-science. Surely someone like a senator shouldn't have to worry about getting an abnormally high amount of reexposure compared to the average patient. Nope, absolutely no reason to assume that at all.

Lol I'll take studies, evidence, and science over speculation any day. No proven cases of reinfection and no reason to think that short term immunity doesn't exist as it does for EVERY OTHER CORONAVIRUS. But keep spreading misinformation.

www.bostonherald.com

Coronavirus immunity studies ‘encouraging’ for short-term protection from reinfection, says BU immunologist

New studies provide “encouraging” proof that people who recover from coronavirus gain protection from reinfection in the short term, but Boston University immunologist John Connor says …

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol I'll take studies, evidence, and science over speculation any day. No proven cases of reinfection and no reason to think that short term immunity doesn't exist as it does for EVERY OTHER CORONAVIRUS. But keep spreading misinformation.

ok, let's ask the scientists:

"Still, the KCDC cautioned, it's unclear how long those antibodies last. Until we have that key piece of data, the jury is still out on whether mass immunity is possible. "

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
South Korea: "A high level of antibodies is being shown to be effective against reinfection."

Population: "So if I have antibodies, I'm INVINCIBLE"

South Korea: "No, wait, antibodies don't last forever, and we don't know the amount of antibodies necessary for immunity, and current mass testing simply detects the presence of antibodies, not the amount"

Population: "IN-FUCKING-VINCIBLE."
tenor.gif

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
If he's immune, then we should be harvesting his blood. And then we should chastise him for not doing his civic duty since he's immune.

Then when he says that it's a stupid ass statement to make, we can rebut with the fact that his initial statement is equally stupid.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I literally said short term immunity. Are you just not reading?

Ok, so how long does the short term immunity last? Because the country's leading expert in covid-19 says he doesn't know, and thus it shouldn't be assumed:

Show me this "Science" and "data" which I totally believe you have which says that "Rand Paul is 100% correct" that he currently cannot become re-infected or spread the virus. The world's experts seriously would love to see that.

BTW "I think this virus behaves like previous virii" is speculation hth.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
They simply are scared people would get infected on purpose if you give 'immunity passports'.

Exactly this. Listen to this person, people.

The implications of a society divided between immune and not inmune people are scary, so most countries are not willing to go there yet. So no mass serological tests for example.

Nov 30, 2017
Until we hit the second wave we won't know definitively if reinfection occurs. However making a blanket statement like he did is not proper science and is idiotic especially at this point in time.

Oct 25, 2017
If immunity worked as you described it, how would herd immunity work? And I don't mean how would herd immunity work in a Covid context, I mean how would herd immunity work in general? Herd immunity as a concept works in that people are never incubated and thus can never transmit that virus.

Having antibodies allows your white blood cells to more quickly detect the infection and fight it off sooner, faster and more efficiently than if you didn't have the antibodies. It doesn't create a force field around you not allowing the infection to enter your body. Sometimes immunity works quickly enough that you never get symptoms at all. Sometimes, you still get symptoms but they are mild and short lived. It really depends on your immune system and the infection as well. So if your body fights things off quickly, your potential to infect someone else significantly reduces but is not necessarily zero. We are still not sure if having antibodies for COVID19 confers immunity and if it does how long that immunity lasts. We already know that immunity wanes for many things and there are some infections you cannot build an immunity to.