• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I wonder if publishers do this so they can say they sold two copies of a game rather than one copy + DLC.

ForthU

Oct 27, 2017
Serious question: what's stopping you from just buying the cheaper goty edition again rather than waiting for the season pass to go on sale? Surely saves are compatible?
You can't on psn. Once you have even just one part of a bundle, you can't buy that bundle anymore.

of course that's on Sony, cause psn is utter garbage. I don't see this happening on the other storefronts, but I'm not as well informed

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
What it "feels" like to you is your problem though. You want a cheaper way of getting the DLCs, there it is for you to buy. Or you can pay twice and buy the season pass separately, to justify not losing one copy.

The price of season pass not going down, while being sold from the start is a bit of a problem. BUT GoTY/complete editions come out after all DLCs have come out, whereas season pass allows you to get the DLC on release day and if you were to buy each DLC on release day separately it's undoubtedly going to cost you more. In effect it is no different from buying a game day one, and that game going down in price over time.

Beside, if you buy from steam then it auto discounts the base copy of the game from the price. So there you have it...another option that's cheaper and doesn't make you feel like you lose one copy.

But they are "scumming" you, you are paying for Game + DLCs and you are getting just DLCs if you already own Base game. And not all games on Steam are organized in Bundles. One of the examples

YS6oj4m.png

fXNZoWW.png

I own Base game and Royal Edition costs the same for me as for anyone else who is buying game for the first time. And if i wanted to get all DLCs from Royal Edition it would cost me 35 euros, minimal price difference compared to complete pack. They are basically value Band of Bastards DLC more than Base game itself.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I feel the opposite. I think it's a great way to get the the entire game (base game+dlc+ all updates) on a disc. It being cheaper is an added bonus. I hope we see more of this.

I do get annoyed when they release complete editions with dlc vouchers, and the original disc release. šŸ˜‘

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Dice developer said this isn't a thing on previous page
Then they either just stop paying attention to other SKU pricing once GOTY is out or it suits them to have all this stuff floating around on the off chance someone unwittingly ends up paying slightly more money for the same content found in the complete package.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah, what's worse is even at a discount, the season pass is never go lower than the complete edition.

I've been waiting for Fallout 4 season pass to go lower than the GOTY version but that day will never come.

Because it feels that you are buying same product twice. You are basically losing 1 copy of the game.
Yup, this. At least let us gift the base game to someone while I keep the season pass.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Then they either just stop paying attention to other SKU pricing once GOTY is out or it suits them to have all this stuff floating around on the off chance someone unwittingly ends up paying slightly more money for the same content found in the complete package.
It usually is because people are busy working on something else, so they don't have time to fix old store offers. Most places don't usually have dedicated store managers that support legacy titles.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
You can't on psn. Once you have even just one part of a bundle, you can't buy that bundle anymore.

of course that's on Sony, cause psn is utter garbage. I don't see this happening on the other storefronts, but I'm not as well informed

That's not universal. I was for example able to buy the better version of Injustice 2 when I had the base.

Here's my own personal example of how dumb this can be though. I bought Injustice 2 at launch for $59.99. I almost never buy new games at that price but I love DC and loved the first so I figured I would go for it. I couldn't bring myself to spend $100.00 on an ultimate edition though, figured I'd grab any DLC I wanted later.

The Ultimate Pack of DLC is $39.99 and it went in my watchlist about a week after the game came out. For the longest time it never went on sale. Then it finally did go on sale once, for $31.99, 20% off.

Meanwhile at this point the Legendary edition of the game was regularly going on sale for $23.99. I eventually bought this, for $17.99 on an especially good sale. Which means I bought the core game twice.

I'm not asking for a huge saving. I'm fully aware I'll pay more as an early adopter. The DLC on its own should not cost more than the Ultimate Edition. Give me something. If you're making the ultimate edition $17.99, put the DLC alone on sale for $17.50. Save me something for being an early adopter. I'm obviously still paying way more than someone who waited (in this example, $77.49 as opposed to $17.99) but I'm not literally buying something I already bought again. You've massively devalued my original purchase, but it shouldn't have negative value. Heck, make the DLC $17.98. To do otherwise is just dumb though, and it annoyingly clogs up my download list with multiple versions of the same game even in cases where PSN does allow it.

To this day, the Ultimate Pack hasn't gone below $27.99.

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I'm guessing this is done to make first time buyers feel like they're getting a great deal when they buy the complete/goty edition

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe but it's not a problem to me. I just sell the vanilla version if it gets a GotY editon with everything on disc.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Yes in most cases. Issue is that you are paying for 2 copies of the game and DLCs and you are getting one copy of the game and DLCs. Sou are somehow getting scammed legally.
That's what I mean by overthinking it.
You want the SeasonPass/DLC or whatever and the complete package is cheaper than said DLC.

So what then, buy that for the better deal on the DLC. Ignore the original game.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I only buy GOTY/Complete editions since I'm consistently 2-3 years behind on damn near everything. I just got Shadows of the Tomb Raider last month from the Humble Bundle and when I used the key on Steam, it unlocked the definitive edition since that's all they sell now. Felt good. :)

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
That's what I mean by overthinking it.
You want the SeasonPass/DLC or whatever and the complete package is cheaper than said DLC.

So what then, buy that for the better deal on the DLC. Ignore the original game.

As i said it is wrong thing to do. It is kinda specific for video game industry but people should complain. You are not getting what you paid for.

I only buy GOTY/Complete editions since I'm consistently 2-3 years behind on damn near everything. I just got Shadows of the Tomb Raider last month from the Humble Bundle and when I used the key on Steam, it unlocked the definitive edition since that's all they sell now. Felt good. :)

You got just the game and no DLCs. It has same name but DLCs are not included in Humble Choice version.

EPhIrvo.png

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
This pissed me off last year with FFXV. I'd bought it day one, eventually wanted all the DLC. I can't remember the exact numbers, but it was something like $25 or $30 for the season pass, but the Royal Edition was on sale for like $20. Stupid.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Early adopters are whales, not price-conscious consumers.

If you've become more stingy in the meantime, just buy the complete edition and delete the base game from your library. If you have a physical copy of the base game, sell it, trade it in, or give it away.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
If you suspect a Gold/GotY edition is going to be released based on the company's track record, then just wait. It's only a problem if you're impatient.

Could be worse. You could be paying $50+ for 2 year old Switch games like BotW anyway...
Yeah it could be way worse as you say. Personally I don't mind this and like getting a discount for a complete edition.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Early adopters are whales, not price-conscious consumers.

If you've become more stingy in the meantime, just buy the complete edition and delete the base game from your library. If you have a physical copy of the base game, sell it, trade it in, or give it away.
Why should I have to buy the game twice when they could just put the season pass on sale? Why is the season pass more expansive than the complete edition in the first place?

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
I can afford to wait a couple years down the line for a more affordable option. Nintendo first party games require I be more vigilant with deals though if I want a physical copy.

Last edited:

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I waited years for the Dragon Age Inquisition DLC to go on sale only to end up buying the digital GOTY version for cheaper than one of the DLCs alone.
Although recently those DLCs have actually been on sale..only took what 5 years.

I do think part of the economics of offering games on these services like that is to fleece the customer on DLC

Did they even have a "DLC Bundle" back then? Wasn't until THIS YEAR that I saw it. Finally grabbed the DLCs.. so yay for me? Only saved like $2 tho, but I don't have to download the entire game.. so that's cool.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
Did they even have a "DLC Bundle" back then? Wasn't until THIS YEAR that I saw it. Finally grabbed the DLCs.. so yay for me? Only saved like $2 tho, but I don't have to download the entire game.. so that's cool.

Nope no bundle, they were all separate. In fact sometimes maybe the first dlc would go on a slight sale but if you added it all up it was still more expensive than the GOTY edition lol

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
It takes so long to beat the base edition of games, I don't even bother with DLC unless its a fighting game. It's so rare I bother with dlc for a single player game so it never seems like a good investment for me to pay extra for the definitive edition

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please think about poor people out there wait like... three year for X game(s) to have complete version with affordable price.

Talk about personal experience.

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
If you wanted the DLC you would have it by now theres no point in lowering the cost of DLC's because its unlikely someone will sit on a game for 2 years waiting for a price drop on DLC. These offers are geared towards those who don't have the game in the first place.

Raskol

Sep 5, 2018
I never played any of Nioh's DLC because this happened, and I'm still a bit salty about it.

Deleted member 38050

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
This pissed me off last year with FFXV. I'd bought it day one, eventually wanted all the DLC. I can't remember the exact numbers, but it was something like $25 or $30 for the season pass, but the Royal Edition was on sale for like $20. Stupid.
This happened to me with FF15 as well. I bought the game on day one but never bothered with DLC, so when I wanted to finally play the DLC last year, I found out that the Season Pass was like double the price of Royal Edition, so I just bought Royal Edition. I don't really get the problem with this, though? It's a bit silly sure, but it's not exactly a huge issue.
Buying a game on day one has always been like this. You're paying more to have the experience sooner, as opposed to waiting and it being cheaper. It's not scummy, it's just how stuff works.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
Buy the base game on disk, day 1, for cheaper than the digital version. Then finish the game and sell disk before the gold edition is released. Buy the Gold edition if and when you want to play the DLC and the game is suitably discounted.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
it's pretty ridiculous when you get a game for a fraction of what the DLC costs and there's never even a complete re-release.

i would totally rebuy games with the DLC and get rid of the original (i buy physical for this reason) but most of them ones i've had to deal with don't even get GOTY re-releases. so for me it's just hard passing on the DLC.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
This happened to me with FF15 as well. I bought the game on day one but never bothered with DLC, so when I wanted to finally play the DLC last year, I found out that the Season Pass was like double the price of Royal Edition, so I just bought Royal Edition. I don't really get the problem with this, though? It's a bit silly sure, but it's not exactly a huge issue.
Buying a game on day one has always been like this. You're paying more to have the experience sooner, as opposed to waiting and it being cheaper. It's not scummy, it's just how stuff works.
Same premise as the OP. The publisher has for sale: DLC by itself, there for the earlier adopters who supported the game from an earlier time and provided a sale on a more barebones product, OR the base game and all the included DLC for a lesser price than just the DLC, which is all the earlier supporters would want. So if game+DLC is $15, but DLC is $25, the actual value of DLC should be significantly less than $15 in the eyes of the publisher. But the publisher knows any late buyer is going to spend a minimum of $15 because there's no other option. This isn't necessarily the same thing as a price dropping over time, it's specifically keeping a piece that only early adopters would buy inflated. The season pass only exists in the case a consumer is too stupid to know to look for a GOTY edition that is even cheaper, and to rip off unknowing customers. Not the worst thing in the world, but is clearly anti consumer behavior.