• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Season pass and DLC go on sale. Such deep sales that they even kick in the base game and call it GOTY.

This is a semantic non-issue. You see the GOTY Edition on sale for US$10 while the season pass is still selling for its original US$30 and feel you're getting shafted? Because, what, the season pass discount could theoretically be even bigger for a SKU with no base game? Just get the damn thing at a big discount and ignore the base game being in there

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
They do this to entice you to buy the GOTY edition over just the base game by making it look like a great deal.

Guaranteed more money this way.

Sarcastico

Oct 27, 2017
By that logic the season pass gets cheaper as well, except it doesn't. If you bought a digital copy of the game day 1 but did not splurge for the complete or gold edition then you will be paying a premium down the road as the season pass more often than not will be more expensive than buying the GOTY edition.

The content of the season pass does get cheaper, hence the bundled price of GOTY editions. On Steam, if you have the base game and you buy the GOTY edition of the base game, you get the added content for cheaper than if you paid for the season pass. That's why I don't see an issue with it.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Because it feels that you are buying same product twice. You are basically losing 1 copy of the game.
Like how fighting games used ta be? Lotsa peeps seem ta be glad those are moving away from "update discs" even though it makes the overall package cost far more. I for one am quite cool with all kinds of games getting upgrade discs in the form of cheap goty/definitive edition re-releases! DLC/Passes/whatever ya wanna call 'em getting perma-pricedrops has been a known super rare thing ever since that stuff rolled into town last-gen. At best you'll occasionally catch 'em on sale for half off an thats that. Thats the power of digital for ya. Trading price for "convenience".

dlemarc

Oct 31, 2017
It's annoying to me but ultimately not big deal. If I can't wait for the eventul sale, I'll just buy the Gold/GoTY/Complete or whatever edition. For Injustice 2, I got an ultimate pack sale I finally felt comfortable with recently.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Edit - Okay I see you mean how the DLC doesn't get discounted for people who already bought the base game but the complete version is trying to get you to spend more money. Skyrim DLC comes to mind. Yes that sucks.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
This kept me from playing Dishonored's DLC for years, since it seemingly never went on sale on PS3.

Right before 2 came out, I finally learned that its GOTY edition (or whatever) actually didn't have separate saves or anything from the original, so I bought that for super cheat and played them. They'd have had more of my money sooner if they just put the DLC on sale still...

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
Some games on PS4 won't let you buy the complete edition if you own the base game, like Bloodborne. I'm not sure how everybody here forgot that the Bloodborne DLC almost never went on sale while the complete one did? It was such a popular thing to complain about a year or two ago. That's a great example of why this situation is fucked. Or like with Witcher 3, the saves aren't even compatible between versions.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My "favorite" thing about the MK games is getting the Season Pass and then they put out DLC that isn't covered by the Season Pass while we're still waiting for the rest of the Season Pass.

Oh, and trying to trick people into "buying" Frost right on their Store Front without informing people she's unlockable only a few chapters into the Story Mode....
And... those kinda practices is why Ed Boon's smile and NetherRealm wont have my goodwill again.

Shakerovic

Apr 26, 2019
These companies are not scummy they have a good heart, they know we poor people can't buy games day 1 at 60$ and then buy dlc's you can afford it but we can't, you play the game day 1 but we have to wait atleast 1 year so they are looking out for us with these nice discounts baby

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
DLCs do go on sale, but you have to be on the lookout for them. I almost never buy DLCs at full price. So pretty much every piece of DLC I've purchased was discounted. The thing I do is I add every DLC (and games) I want to my Wish list. Then whenever a sale occurs, I check my Wish list to see if any of them are discounted. The ones that are discounted I'll buy. The rest I'm perfectly fine waiting.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
You figured me out. I am just a petulant 10 year old who loves to bitch and moan on the internet.... or maybe spend a few minutes to read the OP and some of the other comments. Publishers this gen have basically stopped putting season passes on sale and when they do more often than not the price of the season pass is more expensive than the gold/complete editions.

See above.
See I did read it but these posts saying they're being punished for being an early adopter just come off as entitled whining. It is 100% what happens when you're an early adopter. If the pricing of it all matters enough just wait, like some people in here are actually doing. Or buy the bundle version if it is indeed less than the cost of the DLC. Assuming it's not one of the rare cases where the publisher prevents that with a digital version.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
See I did read it but these posts saying they're being punished for being an early adopter just come off as entitled whining. It is 100% what happens when you're an early adopter. If the pricing of it all matters enough just wait, like some people in here are actually doing. Or buy the bundle version if it is indeed less than the cost of the DLC. Assuming it's not one of the rare cases where the publisher prevents that with a digital version.
None of this makes any sense. These people are willing to put down $60 on day 1, and now they just want to buy the season pass at a reduced price, since it's a fairly old title at this point. You're suggesting they should wait with their investment and buy the complete collection later at a reduced price. How is this good business for these companies? Seems like a loss to teach your customers to wait instead of offering an option alongside the regular sale.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Yes, games go on sale, early adopters pay more, etc. etc... That's not the issue. The issue is that the DLC by itself is more expensive than the complete editions, which isn't really defensible. It's blatantly disrespectful towards those who've already bought the base game, since your best option is to simply buy the complete edition as if you're somebody who hasn't already purchased the base game.

But hey, it doesn't bother me that much. I simply respond by not purchasing the DLC, or waiting for the complete editions in the first place.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I don't see the problem here. There's a lot of people like myself that refuses to buy games on day one until all of the content is on the gamecard or on the disc.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
None of this makes any sense. These people are willing to put down $60 on day 1, and now they just want to buy the season pass at a reduced price, since it's a fairly old title at this point. You're suggesting they should wait with their investment and buy the complete collection later at a reduced price. How is this good business for these companies? Seems like a loss to teach your customers to wait instead of offering an option alongside the regular sale.
If they wait for a pass sale but don't get one until the bundle version is out and actually cheaper why not buy it? If you're concerned only with the best price ever then wait for the heavily discounted price on the bundle. If you have to play right then then pay the money and don't act like a victim of the system. If the DLC never goes on sale then it never goes on sale, simple as that.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
If they wait for a pass sale but don't get one until the bundle version is out and actually cheaper why not buy it? If you're concerned only with the best price ever then wait for the heavily discounted price on the bundle. If you have to play right then then pay the money and don't act like a victim of the system. If the DLC never goes on sale then it never goes on sale, simple as that.
I mostly take issue with publishers that never puts their season passes/DLC on sale, despite offering their complete collections at 75% off. I don't see how that benefits anyone.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I shouldn't be surprised by the lengths that people will go to defend multi-million dollar corporations on this site any more, but can't believe how many people are defending or handwaving this, or blaming people for "buying the game too early".

Consider this: often times these "definitive" or "remastered" versions of games are worse than the originals.
The new version goes on sale, but the old version and its DLC does not - assuming it's not removed from sale entirely.
It's stupid having to pay more for DLC for an old game when they sell an updated version that includes it all for less.

I don't really understand the obsession with wanting the 'complete package'. Games are usually too big and out stay their welcome without adding dlc into the mix.
Many people consider the DLC for Dishonored and the Souls games to be the best content in those games, for example.
Dark Souls 2 is a game where many people specifically do not want to play the "complete" Scholar of the First Sin release, because it's a remixed version of the game that completely changes enemy placement (which many consider to be much worse).
I think the DLC for Dark Souls 2 does now go on sale, but if I recall correctly, there was a time when it did not and it was cheaper to buy SotFS than the season pass.

On Steam don't you get additional discounts if you own one of the pieces of a collection or bundle?
Only if the publisher opts in to the new bundle system.
When they do, things are often priced fairly since the "definitive" release ends up being an updated bundle instead of a separate product.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Publishers like money, but isn't it intentional to inflated sales of the game? Most of the time the Vanilla and Complete version would be counted as the same SKU in most internal sales figures.

Nobody cares how many "copies" a game sells. Inflating "copies sold" is not a thing.
What's important is how much revenue and return of investment a product / service is bringing.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
They probably do this to boost sales numbers because people buy the game twice

Edit: apparently not

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if I've ever seen a thread with so many people not understanding the OP's point. Including drunk nonsense threads.

On topic, I wouldn't call it scummy. Only because it's probably nothing but data-driven pricing.

It is annoying, though.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
This is number one reason I'm buying less games at day 1 full price.

Bethesda takes to silly lengths, no longer selling standalone DLC, instead you must buy (xxxx) coins, but wait you can't buy exact amount of coins, so you have to pay few euros extra for coins you can't use without buying more.

Sadly many gamers, as proven by this thread, is willing to get shafted AND DEFEND IT, so in time we will just get more of this.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

Bethesda takes to silly lengths, no longer selling standalone DLC, instead you must buy (xxxx) coins, but wait you can't buy exact amount of coins, so you have to pay few euros extra for coins you can't use without buying more.

Sadly many gamers, as proven by this thread, is willing to get shafted AND DEFEND IT, so in time we will just get more of this.

I will accept part of the blame because i could name thread better. But i thought that OP explained things enough.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

In what games? Unless this is in Fallout 76 (a reviled game I admittedly know little about) I don't see this at all. That's like Bioware circa 10 years ago.

But even that game doesn't appear to have the traditional DLC the OP tends to mean.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Rather than complaining that goty editions exist, id rather complain about how DLC expansions dont seem to drop in price very much. Now that sucks.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
In what games? Unless this is in Fallout 76 (a reviled game I admittedly know little about) I don't see this at all. That's like Bioware circa 10 years ago.

But even that game doesn't appear to have the traditional DLC the OP tends to mean.

Rage 2 of single player only games. Probably next Doom too.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
FF15 Royal Edition GOTY. It includes season pass but is impossible to buy if you already own the base game.
Season pass + Royal Edition's exclusive DLC costs more than the GOTY version.
I may buy it on another account though.

Birdseeding

Mar 13, 2018
Hey, I'm a Switch owner. I WISH there were discounted AAA games, in any capacity, DLC included or not.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it has it's pros and cons. It does benefit people who waited though it does suck a lot for the people who bought the games immediately.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Upcoming Doom has a dark souls invader mode and probably a basis MP mode.

I don't see how that makes it more valid to use points system to charge extra.

Well, it has it's pros and cons. It does benefit people who waited though it does suck a lot for the people who bought the games immediately.

How does not discounting Dlc alone benefit late purchasers?

They feel better because early purchasers get shafted?

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
I can completely understand where the OP is coming from but, most DLC is fairly poor unless or something from Paradox which tends to improve on the base game. Most people don't finish the base yet alone the DLC. Currently playing Spider-Man on PS4 I am glad I only bought the base game.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I feel you OP.
Missed The Witcher 3 DLC because of that, also because vanilla save doesn't work with GOTY Edition.
Add to the list : Spider Man, REVII, FFXV and many others.
It should be mandatory to drop DLC price if you are doing GOTY Edition price drop, I mean it's crazy that early adopters the ones that brought revenue to publishers/devs when most needed are the ones that get fucked up down the line.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
So you would be happy if the all dlcs pack, after a year said, base game comes free (if you don't have it already) with purchase?

So theres just one dlc pack, not more goty gold edition

New players buy the dlc and get the base game included for free
Old players buy the dlc and dont the base game?

If you got what you wanted, a lower dlc pack cost, the gold goty edition will just go lower to match.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
What? No.

Early adopters pay more for playing early.

Early buyers pay more even years after release because Season Pass discounts are less than price of Complete Edition of the game.

So you would be happy if the all dlcs pack, after a year said, base game comes free (if you don't have it already) with purchase?

So theres just one dlc pack, not more goty gold edition

New players buy the dlc and get the base game included for free
Old players buy the dlc and dont the base game?

It is simple make Base game + Season Pass same price as Complete Edition when you release Complete Edition. Or if you are removing Base game lower Season Pass price below price of Complete Edition.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Early buyers pay more even years after release because Season Pass discounts are less than price of Complete Edition of the game.

It is simple make Base game + Season Pass same price as Complete Edition when you release Complete Edition. Or if you are removing Base game lower Season Pass price below price of Complete Edition.

Or use Steam bundles which auto discount portion of base game when you own it

I think Square Enix is only that does this with their recent games.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Because it feels that you are buying same product twice. You are basically losing 1 copy of the game.
What it "feels" like to you is your problem though. You want a cheaper way of getting the DLCs, there it is for you to buy. Or you can pay twice and buy the season pass separately, to justify not losing one copy.

The price of season pass not going down, while being sold from the start is a bit of a problem. BUT GoTY/complete editions come out after all DLCs have come out, whereas season pass allows you to get the DLC on release day and if you were to buy each DLC on release day separately it's undoubtedly going to cost you more. In effect it is no different from buying a game day one, and that game going down in price over time.

Beside, if you buy from steam then it auto discounts the base copy of the game from the price. So there you have it...another option that's cheaper and doesn't make you feel like you lose one copy.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Not really.

If you have to buy a game the day it comes out then it's on you isn't it?

I stay around 12 months behind on games and rarejy pay more than £20 for a game.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I right in thinking that sometimes on PSN if you have the base game you can't then buy the GOTY Edition too? Or is this not a problem

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
How does not discounting Dlc alone benefit late purchasers?

They feel better because early purchasers get shafted?
People who waited out can get the GOTY edition for much cheaper is the benefit. But I do understand that DLCs alone should still be cheaper than a full game with everything packaged together.