• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
- Utopia. Great conspiracy-thriller, stylish and really well shot.
- The Thick of It: probably my favorite British (political) comedy from this century. Its creator later went on to make Veep.
- Forbrydelsen (S1). Danish crime series. Got remade as 'The Killing' in the US.
- Gomorrah. Italian crime series about a Neapolitan crime syndicate.
- Dark. Already mentioned, but great timetravel/Lynchian-ish German series.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Space: 1999

I guess you could compare it to Star Trek (though I've never really cared much for Star Trek, outside of the original series).

Each episode begins with a pre-credits sequence to set up the story for the episode. The credits then play out as a mix of shots of the actors and various key scenes to the overall plot, along with a bombardment of quick shots from the episode you're in the process of watching. It's great at hyping you up for what you're about to see.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
The Korean competition show Running Man. Think like a Japanese game show where the contestants are all reoccurring so you really grow attached to them. Some of that production bits are a little annoying at first, but once you get used to them it's one of the most consistently funny shows I've ever seen.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK

It has everything you could ever want from a TV show over 692 glorious episodes.

Not enough Red Dwarf in here.

red-dwarf-special-announced.jpg

Still one of the funniest scenes I have ever seen on TV ever. Series 2 and 3 for me, best stuff ever.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Overall no doubt it's Kaamelott. ( French )
Honestly I wouldn't know how to sell it, it's humor is amazing but it's also probably impossible to not lose most of it from a sub or dub ( there is actually a pretty good video on the subject https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ3Hc3jnBP8 also in french obviously ).

From the UK my answer would probably be Doctor Who, at the very least for the Tennant and Matt Smith seasons when I was really invested in it with my brother. Luther would be a good 2nd place.

From Korea it's a really hard call, Kingdom is what made me watch many korean series in the past couple years, it's pretty amazing even if I'll still nitpick and say that while not as true as some other zombies series/film, it's still use that common trope of human infighting being the reason the zombies threat is as much of a threat. Also available on netflix I'd say most people should give a chance to Misaeng, Live, reply 1988 or even playlist hospital. I also kind of grew fond of the show knowing bros / men on a mission thought it was more of an acquired taste.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
I don't even understand as a kid from Pittsburgh how I got into Red Dwarf or even watch channel. That's my pick unless I can choose Dragon Ball Z.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Kim's Convenience - on Netflix its up there with Schitt's Creek as one of the funniest comedies I've seen...

Bamboo

Oct 25, 2017
Physical comedy can also be region specific, eg various gestures , expressions and grimaces that non-locals would have a hard time grasping.
True, but I still think it's to a lesser extend. Do you have an example of regionally specific physical comedy? I also have trouble thinking of a contemporary example series that is not animation (primarily aimed at children) where physical comedy plays a major role. But animation has loads.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
The polish TV series Dekalog by Kieślowski is my favorite series period. It's a limited show of ten episodes, each episode dealing with one of the ten commandments and a moral dilemma attached to it. Every episode is self contained, but it forms a whole not only through the theme, but through the setting (polish apartment housing complex), reoccuring scenes, or characters crossing the same way as others. It's extremely ambitious, amazingly consistent and just very, very moving, albeit sometimes tough to watch. The first episode is a very good intro to the series. If you like it, go ahead and do a deep dive.

Two episodes were released as a movie with a little longer version, A Short Film About Killing (thou shalt not kill) and A Short Film About Love (thou shalt not commit adultery), to great critical acclaim. I could post a list of accolades of the series and the two movies, but this short introduction by Stanley Kubrick to the published screenplay should be convincing enough.

ej0j6g2w4aa5lumaykf7.jpg

I don't know where (if?) you can stream it, especially not in the US (based in Europe). I saw it on DVD years ago. Criterion now released it on BluRay, too.
I'm hoping to watch that in 2021, and I intended to just borrow the Criterion release through the library.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
DARK is so fucking good. Throughout all three seasons too, which is amazing. Fits thematically as it is about time travel and the fates of those different specific points in time that are accessible through time travel.

It's best to go in.... dark.

psionotic

May 29, 2019
Glad to see the love for Spaced, Fleabag, and Decalogue. Also, this thread is reminding me that I need to finish Dark.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
You said "don't say the name" so I don't get why everyone is saying the name..

Here's mine:

There's this rusty and grimy mining ship ferrying minerals between planets of the solar system. Its smokey, the crew of a thousand have mostly just ended up on board as a career dead end. There are no aliens, just the human race and its constant need for fuels and resources. The future is industrial and cynical.

The most exotic technologies are AI - which is actually mundane in its nature - and the ability to create holographic simulations of the dead from their recorded memories. The latter is extremely cost prohibitive and resource intensive and is generally reserved for essential personnel or the very rich.

There is a massive nuclear incident on the battered mining ship, and a wave of Cadmium II sweeps through in seconds, killing the crew. The AI would ordinarily have activated the self destruct, as the entire ship posed a massive radiological threat, but there was a slight, slight complication.

The lowest ranked member of the crew, a space bum who joined the ship for a paycheck, was put into stasis before the unforeseen accident, due to him breaking a minor quarantine rule. He remained in his stasis booth, alive but suspended in time.

The AI had no choice but to protect the space bum. The computer set course for deep space, to keep the radiological threat away from anyone that could be harmed, and to wait for the background radiation to reach a safe level at which the space bum could be released from stasis.

Three million years later...

David Lister, the last human being alive, steps out of his stasis booth.

What follows is the most legitimately hilarious, imaginative, and character-driven science fiction comedy ever made. The writing, the characterisation, its just an absolute joy for at least the first six seasons.

It's also low time investment, each episode is 27 mins and each season is six episodes.

It's glorious and so, so fucking funny.
I said don't just say the name haha. List threads aren't allowed on era, and some people are still just saying the name of a show or more and dropping out of the thread.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
'Thank God You're Here' is an Australian improv show that I think is genius. Contestants (usually famous comedians or actors) are put into a scene that they have no prior knowledge about. All the other actors in the scene have lines and directions to drive the story but it all lies on the clueless party to be quick-witted and funny enough to carry it.

This clip features Hamish Blake, who's extremely famous in Australia as a radio host and TV personality. I don't know if it's because of editing or several takes, but his improv skills are seriously impressive to and it bums me out that the show is no longer on the air.

This is incredible, and continues my year of stumbling across everything Hamish pops up in.

There was apparently a British version of Thank God You're Here, which Hamish also appeared in but it's really not as funny. No wonder I hadn't heard of it.

Also, Garth Merenghi's Darkplace is fantastic.

darkplace.jpg

The doors of Darkplace were open. Not the literal doors of the building, most of which were closed. But evil doors. Dark doors. Doors, to the beyond. Doors that were hard to shut because they were abstract and didn't have handles. They were more like portals really. From this day on I'd have to fight these forces of darkness, and deal with the burden of day-to-day admin.

fierygunrob

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2018
It's too early to say whether it's a favorite of all time, but Beforeigners on HBO was surprisingly so, so good. I stumbled across it while mindlessly browsing, thought the name was stupid in a funny way, watched a trailer and was immediately hooked. I don't know if I can do it justice, but...

It's a Norwegian show about a pair of detectives, with a bit of a sci fi twist. The first is your fairly stereotypical, divorced, problems with addiction, past his prime type, who gets partnered with the newbie, who's also the first hire to originate from another time period, to investigate a dead girl washed up on the beach (Laura Palmer much?)

The new detective, Alfhildr, is originally from the 11th century, from a group of time migrants — people who one day suddenly started appearing all over the world, from the Stone Age, Viking and Victorian eras. The show takes place 20 or so years after they initially appeared. It's a ton of fun, especially seeing the Vikings adapting to modern life in their own ways, and season 2 is on the way.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Just watch The Day Today first (a satirical news show), you get brilliant early Partridge plus one of the best satires ever!

Other than that. I'm Alan Partridge series 1, then series 2, then Knowing Me, Knowing You.

I've not watched too much of the later stuff, it's not the same. Still good, but not brilliant.

As someone else said, while watching The Day Today, watch Brass Eye - similar to The Day Today, but a a satire current affairs show, rather than a satire news show.

Then watch Nathan Barley.
Thank you very much! :D

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Three pages in and no one mentioned Attack on Titan, the absolute GOAT TV show?

It has best in class story. Especially if you are into mysteries and twists. When other mystery shows falter or straight up fall apart in later seasons, AOT delivers and exceeds expectation.

It also has amazing soundtrack and voice acting (sub only. The dub is horrendous mainly due to awful English protagonist performance.)

The art and animation are really good too. Especially in big moments.

Oct 27, 2017
More recently I've really enjoyed sex education on Netflix. It has Gillian Anderson who is a sex therapist who has a son that has picked up on most of her work and goes to school and teaches kids how to have a good sex life despite not having started his. It's funny, it's emotional, it has a great cast and you care about basically every character in the show.
Excellent recommendation as well.

In terms of authentic representation, acceptance, tolerance and the exploration of the rest of its themes, you won't find a show that does it better.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Dark has a more interesting script than anything Hollywood can churn out after 10 script filters.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Either you misread the thread title, or there's something I don't know about the first five seasons.
It was shot and produced in Canada with a lot of Canadian actors and Canadians seem quite proud of it from the few that have mentioned it to me. Maybe that changed after Season 5?

Still an American show from the start as far as I can tell though but Canadian in spirit.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Do you like Cringe?
Do you like First Person camera perspectives?
Do you like inner monologues?
Do you like British people?

if you answered yes to any of these then i have the show for you

youtu.be

Mark Outsmarts The Twat In Jez's Book Club - Peep Show

The moment has come for Jez to talk at the book club meeting, but gets stuck because he didn't read the book. Luckily Mark steps in to look after him!Welcome...

Oct 25, 2017
Life On Mars, the UK original. Police crime show set in 1973, great characters and performances. Also it's only 16 episodes within two seasons.

My name is Sam Tyler. I had an accident, and I woke up in 1973. Am I mad, in a coma, or back in time? Whatever's happened, it's like I've landed on a different planet. Now, maybe if I can work out the reason, I can get home.

Third series supposedly incoming.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
It was shot and produced in Canada with a lot of Canadian actors and Canadians seem quite proud of it from the few that have mentioned it to me. Maybe that changed after Season 5?

Still an American show from the start as far as I can tell though but Canadian in spirit.
Oh, okay. I always figured it was an American show. My bad.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
Line of Duty.

A british police show about an internal investigation unit searching corrupt coppers.

It is very close to the Wire in how detailed and anti-heroic the police work is displayed, and how often the regulations and the institution itself is the biggest enemy.

But it also usually has a great finale per season and an arc that connects all seasons.

Add to that great characters and an amazing Soundtrack.
Line Of Duty is terrific. I stumbled on it on Netflix without knowing anything about it and was immediately hooked.
Now every time they drop a new season, I watch it in a couple of days.
There's not a bad season of it, they are all great.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Peep Show really is incredible. Watching it as seasons were coming out and just seeing them top the worst things their characters could do was quite an experience.
Do you like Cringe?
Do you like First Person camera perspectives?
Do you like inner monologues?
Do you like British people?

if you answered yes to any of these then i have the show for you

youtu.be

Mark Outsmarts The Twat In Jez's Book Club - Peep Show

The moment has come for Jez to talk at the book club meeting, but gets stuck because he didn't read the book. Luckily Mark steps in to look after him!Welcome...

Peep Show is what I came here to say. Two weird, bitter losers who hate the rest of the world and don't know how to function in it. They maybe hate each other most of all, but are too co-dependent to break free from it. Probably one of the funniest shows ever made. I rewatch it at least once a year, and probably quote it daily. Mark and Jez are simultaneously the two worst people in the world, and completely relatable. If you like It's Always Sunny or Curb Your Enthusiasm, this will be right up your alley.

Also, just watched that Wuthering Heights episode yesterday, lol. Classic. My favorite episode is probably the one just a bit after this, where Mark and Jez get stuck in his building.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
True, but I still think it's to a lesser extend. Do you have an example of regionally specific physical comedy? I also have trouble thinking of a contemporary example series that is not animation (primarily aimed at children) where physical comedy plays a major role. But animation has loads.

This gesture is used a lot in our comedy movies for example

en.wikipedia.org

Mountza - Wikipedia

Even an Argentinian soccer player used it towards the referee when he played in our league!

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
fleabag on amazon prime
Misfits it's on Hulu with ads.

It's about a bunch of kids on community service who gain super powers but it's not really about the powers.

I approve of both of these. I'll also add Utopia (the UK series) to the mix. It's a show about a shadowy organization doing sketchy shit. Follows a group of people trying to stop them. The show has a great soundtrack, pacing, and is only 6 eps per season (2 seasons total). Oh and the colors are amazing. Both seasons are streaming on Amazon Prime Video.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Im probably not the only one but I dont really get the Stranger Things link. Except it features kids and (part of it) is set in the 80s?
Yeah, it's the one with the most stretch but as you said, I see it as a show about a group of kids, in the 80's, bonding through a shared, sci-fi, traumatic experience.

Telamon

Banned
May 25, 2020
v1.dDsyNzA2MTg7ajsxODY3ODsxMjAwOzE1MDA7MjI1MA

Detectorists

Always a hard sell, as it's about metal detectorists, but I don't know anyone who doesn't love it when they eventually give it a chance.

BBC sitcom starring (and written and directed by) Mackenzie Crook (The Office, Pirates of the Caribbean) and Toby Jones (loads of Hollywood stuff now, Marvel films etc) about a bunch of metal detectorists hoping to one day find gold, but never really expecting to.

It's just lovely and warm and a world you want to get lost in, but still gets genuine laughs regularly.

BAFTA winning and all three series get 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.