• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I'm never using self storage again. Had my unit broken into and thousands of dollars worth of shit stolen and the people at the storage place didn't have a fucking camera on my unit so I was SOL. I was taken aback by how useless those people were.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I'm never using self storage again. Had my unit broken into and thousands of dollars worth of shit stolen and the people at the storage place didn't have a fucking camera on my unit so I was SOL. I was taken aback by how useless those people were.

Minimum effort, maximum profit.

I guess they had covered their own ass too so they didn't need to compensate you in any way?

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
We just sold our house and downsized to a 2-bed apartment, but this is temporary since once my wife graduates we will be moving back to a house.

So storage just makes sense for us. No need to go out and buy another bedroom's worth of stuff, we can just grab it and move it to our new place once we are done renting.

Very convenient for our situation.

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
I've got two new self-storage facilities about to get built near me, literally right across the street from each other. It's crazy that there's this much of a demand when there are already multiple businesses in the area already.

machtia

Oct 29, 2017
Aren't booms in self storage considered a sign the economy's screwed up? It's an industry that takes up space but creates few jobs.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
As someone who works in the industry there was a worry when the pandemic hit that it would be a bit of a struggle, especially retaining customers or just generally getting payments with so many people being asked to stay home. The opposite happened, we've never been busier and space is hard to come by now, prices are being pushed higher and higher and that's not just the self storage side of things, larger commercial properties that I'm also involved in is hard to find too.

Oct 27, 2017
had a unit at an Easy Space in atlanta from 2019-2021, the price doubled while i was there and it was broken into twice, with no reimbursement. never rent from easy space storage

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
My parents had one for many, many years when I was a kid. When an economic downturn happened and my dad got laid off and my mom was a stay at home mom, it basically made them move out of their house and live in a 1 bedroom apartment. so they put everything in a storage unit and slowly sold off furniture and things like that over like 10 years. It was a rough situation. The storage unit always got broken into and a lot of stuff was stolen over the years… definitely not an ideal situation.

Sep 15, 2020
My parents got one, brought too much stuff and realized the unit is too small so they had to book another one and now they (we) have 2 to deal with.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I could also see hobby equipment being a good use case, like skis, fishing poles, etc.

Most folks I know with them is because of expensive hobbies that are often things that your not doing like every week, but take up tons of space. Equipment takes up lots of space and they run out at home or to keep their homes tidy looking they basically just get storage.

Another big thing that is often forgotten with storage is that HOAs are a bitch, and many communities are very restrictive on the use of ones own property. Many modern developments for example don't allow for storage sheds or additions to a home that is common in Northern states where folks have very large equipment hobbies. Live in a modern development you can't add storage to your property, so you are forced to rent out something if you can't fit it in your garage.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
There's a self-storage place where I grew up right on the bank of a river that floods every 10 years. It's been there for at least 25. I've seen photos on the news of water half-way up the doors on the units. It remains in operation and people continue to use it and it makes me shake my head every time. This is an area that is shrinking in population with no new industry moving in and I can't imagine it's people who just don't know the area and history.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I once was broke and had to move across the country for a new job, and in the process get rid of years of accumulated stuff. I wish I could have afforded a storage place at the time, sure some of it was just junk / clutter, but much of that stuff was irreplaceable memorabilia for my first real career job that I worked at for over 10 years. I ended up using one of those junk disposal services - for a fee they take it all and decide what they can sell, donate, or take to the dump.

These days I could see the need if I had to move to an apartment - I am currently renting a small house and I set up a game room with dance game pads and a few home-arcade machines. An apartment likely couldn't handle that (it's one of the reasons I rented the house), but I wouldn't want to get rid of it all.

Last edited:

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only time i've had to use storage was when i was in between places and was looking to get a house so I put most of my stuff in storage until than, I don't see the point of paying for storage if it's stuff i don't have room for.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I'm canceling our storage unit that I had for two years before the pandemic because they jacked the price up from $60 (pre taxes and fees) to $100. It's a convenience for me and, while I can afford it, I think it's ridiculous so I'm not going to keep paying for it. I can store everything there in the house if I get off my ass and do a little work.