• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen a few threads pop up on this topic and I'm wrangling with what to do. Figured I'd put this out to everyone.

Like most of us, I'm spending much of my free time indoors with not a whole lot to do. I own a PS4 Pro and Switch as my only consoles. Been thinking strongly about picking up an XB1X as well. Get in on some of those XB1 exclusives and Gamepass while I remain indoors. Personally, I've been aching to play Forza for ages.

However... with new consoles on the horizon, I can't help but feel like it's kind of a dumb idea to spend $400 on a new console when it'll be supplanted by the Series X in November.

Anyone else finding themselves in a similar position? Thoughts?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Is PC an option for you? The hardware is expensive, yes. But you can save a lot on the software side. And it won't be supplanted like the Xbox One X in a year. You could also dive into VR, which feels like the true next-gen of gaming or me.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Today I talked about this in another thread, more or less:

www.resetera.com

Xbox Game Pass |OT| Game Pass and Chill OT

Infinite was announced for One and next gen, when Series X didn't even have a name. In fact, they said all Xbox exclusives first party will be on One for at least one year. Nobody knows what that means exactly (different, downgraded versions or just games made for One and enhanced for Series X)...

The idea is, you can get an S or an X, but 400 is maybe too expensive for an X when new consoles are supposed to launch at maybe 500 at most. But you can probably find one cheaper.
You can play Forza on an S and also on a pc if you have. If not, you can play a lot more than Forza on a xbone with gamepass.
And first party for xbox is supposed to come out on One (fat/S/X) for a year or two still, as said in the link I put on the other thread.

In your case, if you don't have a lot to play on ps4 and/or switch, and don't have a pc, it could be ok to get an X now (if you find some offer for 300 or less) and enjoy it for a year and a half until you trade it in for help with a Series X or ps5 or whatever. It's up to you only.

Is PC an option for you? The hardware is expensive, yes. But you can save a lot on the software side. And it won't be supplanted like the Xbox One X in a year. You could also dive into VR, which feels like the true next-gen of gaming or me.

It's not like X is being discontinued or not getting support with new games just yet. Read my linked posts. It's supposed to get a year or two of new games still, as well as the S of course (the xbone system itself).

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I wouldn't expect a wide launch if at all this November.
I read last week that MS were saying that their production scale has ramped back up to pretty much where it was before the crisis so they're confident about building enough machines. Their concern was about getting the physical units into countries. Personally though I think most developed countries will have the necessary supply chains back in place by the time the new machines launch.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I wouldn't anticipate a delay to the Series X, which would make buying a One X now a bit of a waste of money. PS5 might get delayed to give more time for the inevitable first party exclusive game(s).

Uncleslappy

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Game Pass is a revelation. Not just for exclusives, but for games I wouldn't normally try or was hesitant to spend money on because it normally wasn't in my genre wheelhouse. I've discovered so many amazing experiences because of it. Especially with the $1 for 3 months of Game Pass, it's a no brainer. Go for a XBOX One S digital only edition for like $150.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I've seen a few threads pop up on this topic and I'm wrangling with what to do. Figured I'd put this out to everyone.

Like most of us, I'm spending much of my free time indoors with not a whole lot to do. I own a PS4 Pro and Switch as my only consoles. Been thinking strongly about picking up an XB1X as well. Get in on some of those XB1 exclusives and Gamepass while I remain indoors. Personally, I've been aching to play Forza for ages.

However... with new consoles on the horizon, I can't help but feel like it's kind of a dumb idea to spend $400 on a new console when it'll be supplanted by the Series X in November.

Personally I'd just pick up a 1S with Gamepass for now. It's still a great machine and what's playable at 4k is still playable at 1080p for the next 7-8 months. The money you'll save can go towards new games/spare controllers when the Series X is released.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
We're just too close
I considered upgrading from my launch day 1 ps4 to a pro finally this year but decided to just upgrade my computer heavily and wait for the ps5 and stick it out, not as big of a difference as not owning a console at all but yeah

The series X is also heavily back compat supported so you'll be able to experience the exact same games you would have otherwise

Oct 27, 2017
I think they'll still come out. I hope so. I think as we learn more info about the virus (like the latest study suggesting death rate including those who never show symptoms and don't feel sick is 0.66%, 6x deadlier than flu still but certainly a smaller number than other reports) and the information about tests being available soon where people who already have had the virus and are immune being able to prove their immune and can go back outside will help life inch back to relative normalcy.

Apple is seemingly ready to go ahead with a Oct/Nov iPhone 12 launch so it seems like manufacturing will be there. Consumer spending? IDK. But the consumer spending will still be awful if this virus goes long into 2021, so even a holiday 2021 release doesn't seem like it would help at all, and they aren't going to outright cancel the consoles or delay them until the economy recovers, which will likely be 2022 at the earliest. And that's optimistic. Then again, are the consumers who buy $400+ consoles at launch the same consumer most affected by the virus? Perhaps. But I'd think this would have more of an impact in 2021 and after, not day one. I could be very wrong tho!

I know we're in uncharted waters and we're all thinking of all the scary unknowns, but there are plenty of positive unknowns that could work in our favor too. Maybe there actually is a drug out there that can significantly impede the virus as we wait for the vaccine, which is hopefully less than a year away if fast-tracking works.

TLDR; I think we're still too early to say next-gen won't come, we've had reconfirmations from console makers recently, and all signs point to other manufacturing industries (phones) going back online so I think at the moment all the evidence we have suggests we're good for next-gen this holiday.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It's not like X is being discontinued or not getting support with new games just yet. Read my linked posts. It's supposed to get a year or two of new games still, as well as the S of course (the xbone system itself).
Sure, but do you want to pay 400€ now to play the lesser versions of next-gen games in maybe not even a year? Seems like a bad deal IMHO. Then better wait and enjoy the PS4Pro and Switch until then. There are so many games on those two consoles alone.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
We're just too close
I considered upgrading from my launch day 1 ps4 to a pro finally this year but decided to just upgrade my computer heavily and wait for the ps5 and stick it out, not as big of a difference as not owning a console at all but yeah

The series X is also heavily back compat supported so you'll be able to experience the exact same games you would have otherwise
When Last of Us Part 2 launches that standard PS4 gonna sting. You not on a 4K set?

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
When Last of Us Part 2 launches that standard PS4 gonna sting. You not on a 4K set?
Nope, I have a 1080p 240hz display and a 1440p 144hz display, I primarily play on PC
I could have bout a cheap 200$ 4K display earlier as well but yeah not doing that until ps5 either

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Even if the new systems launch this fall, which I doubt, supply will be extremely limited and securing a preorder is going to be a mess. Unless this whole thing quickly blows over it's all going to have to be online only.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Today I talked about this in another thread, more or less:

www.resetera.com

Xbox Game Pass |OT| Game Pass and Chill OT

Infinite was announced for One and next gen, when Series X didn't even have a name. In fact, they said all Xbox exclusives first party will be on One for at least one year. Nobody knows what that means exactly (different, downgraded versions or just games made for One and enhanced for Series X)...

The idea is, you can get an S or an X, but 400 is maybe too expensive for an X when new consoles are supposed to launch at maybe 500 at most. But you can probably find one cheaper.
You can play Forza on an S and also on a pc if you have. If not, you can play a lot more than Forza on a xbone with gamepass.
And first party for xbox is supposed to come out on One (fat/S/X) for a year or two still, as said in the link I put on the other thread.

In your case, if you don't have a lot to play on ps4 and/or switch, and don't have a pc, it could be ok to get an X now (if you find some offer for 300 or less) and enjoy it for a year and a half until you trade it in for help with a Series X or ps5 or whatever. It's up to you only.

Good thoughts. Thank you! I should add - I'm in Canada so those $ figures are in CAD. No PC I'm afraid, been a Mac user for a long time!

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Then better wait and enjoy the PS4Pro and Switch until then. There are so many games on those two consoles alone.

Yeah, that's my first advice in case it was not clearly implied in my previous post. Anyway, I also said NOT to go for the X for 400, but for 300 or less. And of course when next gen is available and full steam you could sell the X (or hypothetical S too) towards a ps5 or series X, which I also mentioned.

In my case it was more or less clear (last year), I didn't have a switch, not a lot more ps4 games to play, no pc (which I also mentioned) and a recently bought second hand S. I upgraded to the X with more than a year ahead until the supposed next gen launch and even then I don't have the intention to get any console this fall, but much later. So Microsoft saying first party would come to One too was very good news to me, as it was unclear back then, and it validated my upgrade. That's also why I still can recommend getting a cheap X in some instances.

Good thoughts. Thank you! I should add - I'm in Canada so those $ figures are in CAD. No PC I'm afraid, been a Mac user for a long time!

Hope it helps. Just be sure, if you are getting some xbone system, to get informed about how to abuse the ultimate game pass conversion with the 1$ first month offer. You can get a year and a half for cheap if you do it right, getting live gold first and then upgrading with the 1$ thing (it involves activating autorenewal too and deactivating several times so you get extra monts in between - unless that's removed by now).

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
It's not a dumb idea if you can find a deal. I wouldn't pay the retail price this late in the generation.

Oct 27, 2017
If you're getting xbox/gamepass for access to games first and foremost, you'll be fine with an S. And even if you go with an X it can be traded in (but IMO we're gonna end up with more residences with secondary same-maker consoles next gen).

I'll probably be on standard consoles until next gen, my 1080p plasma refuses to degrade or die. With few third-party exceptions, PS4 standard has been fine. Switch is Switch and I'm digging all the "impossible ports." S is more prone to occasional third-party sub-optimal situations, but first-party is good.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
I actually would've bought an X today "just because" if MM/Saturn would've let me buy their bundle deal.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany

There was a promo offer in Germany yesterday with an X1X, Doom Eternal, RDR2, GTAV and either Forza Horizon 4+DLC or Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order for ~270€.

I almost got it but then I remembered that new consoles arrive in like 6-7 months. That money is better spent on them if I even buy at launch.

The thing is, I have a huge backlog and am actually quite enjoying it. I just have so much free time that I am bored and constantly look into buying shit I don't really need. I guess many people feel like this.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Would be a bad move even without the self isolation and Corona. Just wait a couple months for the new consoles and be set for the next couple years.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019

You can get a refurb One X from Walmart for $230.

Normally I'd say hold off, but if you're not getting a XSX at launch it would be foolish to not take the plunge now with a One X at that price. (And perhaps even if you are getting an XSX at launch. We're still quite a few months out and GamePass could provide a lot of value during that time.)

drock5k

Aug 3, 2018
I wouldn't buy it new at this point but I'm still really impressed by
You can get a refurb One X from Walmart for $230.

Normally I'd say hold off, but if you're not getting a XSX at launch it would be foolish to not take the plunge now with a One X at that price. (And perhaps even if you are getting an XSX at launch. We're still quite a few months out and GamePass could provide a lot of value during that time.)
Also at Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-1-tb-xbox-one-x-console/p/N82E16868105263

I wouldn't buy it new at full price at this point but MS also had a brief sale for $200 the other day, and it's just great with GamePass.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
May I suggest saving as much money as you can? Shit's gonna be unpredictable in a very not good way for a while. A while as in many months.