• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which one?

• Magical Sound Shower

Votes: 43 50.0%
  • Passing Breeze

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • Splash Wave

Votes: 29 33.7%

• Total voters

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

The original Outrun is one of the most iconic games of all time, that's not really a controversial thing to say. Neither is saying that the series has some of the best music in racing game history, because even the original game taking its hardware limitations into account managed to put out some absolute bangers that with just some reinstrumentation could pass off as tracks of a modern game:

Out of these three, I think my favorite one is easily Magical Sound Shower. It fits the theme of Outrun perfectly, and coupled with the high speeds of the games it's pretty freeing to just blast through the tracks at 300 km/h with this sounding on the background.

So, what's your favorite track from the original Outrun?

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
Splash wave but the version on Coast 2 Coast is the best version. Also : find a way to rerelease Coast 2 Coast !

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
I have to echo Magical Sound Shower. It has such a perfect intro, and then it just fits the vibe of being just relaxing enough to get you in the zone, but upbeat enough to make sure you are paying attention.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Magical Sound Shower fits the vibe of the game so incredibly perfectly, that it has to win out. After that, I'd probably go with Passing Breeze and then Splash Wave, but they're both great in their own right.

but the real best track in outrun is

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All three are masterpieces so it's very close but I'm partial to the least popular one, Passing Breeze.

Also, Super Hang On's soundtrack gets overshadowed and needs more love. It's the next best thing to Out Run.

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
Screw splash wave. All my homies hate splash wave.

Magical Sound Shower is the song that comes to mind when I think Outrun.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I know I'm in the minority but I love Passing Breeze. That and the game over/high score screen music.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Magical Sound Shower is more iconic I guess, but Splash Wave is the best one to remix.

Passing Breeze is no slouch either, though! Each song is a knockout.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
My rotation was mostly Magical Sound Shower and Passing Breeze, which helped me with better lap times. But if I had to choose one, it would be the former - the piano solo is the clincher.

BTW, you didn't need to wait for Outrun 2006 for a modern sounding remix - the Saturn NTSC-J version of Outrun not only got upgraded 60 FPS (arcade was 30 FPS) and analogue 3D pad controls with analogue triggers, but remixes as well, including a rather funkier Magical Sound Shower:

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Was Magical Sound Shower for a long time but at some point I converted to Splash Wave.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All three are masterpieces so it's very close but I'm partial to the least popular one, Passing Breeze.

Also, Super Hang On's soundtrack gets overshadowed and needs more love. It's the next best thing to Out Run.

No one gives Hang-On enough credit in general. Super Hang-On's Original Mode being a cool career simulation mode with sponsors, rivals, and bike maintanence never seems to get mentioned anywhere ever. The arranged tracks are pretty dope too.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
It's MSS but I've been selecting that track exclusively pretty much since I first played Outrun to that point that I recently decided to use the other two and 1) I didn't really remember them because I never/rarely selected them and 2) Those tracks are pretty damn good lol

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I love Magical Sound Shower, but it's Splash Wave for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Welp, guess I'm gonna be in the minority here by favoring Passing Breeze. Imagine putting T-Square, Casiopea, and Naoya Matsuoka in a blender only to get passed over just like that. And I love the other two tracks, so it's just a case of preferring J-fusion in general I suppose.

You are a monster if you choose anything other than Magical Sound Shower.
Too bad. Nothing sounds more like that Japanese instrumental pop fusion sound better than Passing Breeze, complete with that funky but melancholy chorus. It just screams "drive cross-country like it's no tomorrow".