• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I've made a couple of posts explaining the combat, but they're buried either in the OT or someone else's thread. I watched a lot of videos that explain the combat, but none of them really hits the mark. The people making these videos are very skilled and know the combat very well, but they don't articulate very well. The only other place I found that caught onto this is a single sentence in the Sekiro Guide on Gamefaqs. Here I'm going to hammer that fact into you.

So by the end of this, hopefully, you'll go from this...

pTE0nKc.gif

To this...

jfl3GZ1.gif

Offense

Your sword swing animation is the key. You can't do anything when you're already swinging your sword. Don't spam the attack button. When you just mash the attack button, you get caught in your own attack animation, and the only way out is when the attack animation is done, or until you get hit. Plan your sword swings. Say you want on swinging your sword 3x, then press the attack button 3x and don't mash the attack. If you mash too quickly, you'll end up getting a 4th swing, and that would be trouble. When you're done with the swings, give yourself a split second to figure out your next move by watching the enemy's patterns and how they reacted to your previous 3 (or however many you pressed) swings. This will allow you to parry, dodge, or jump out of the way.

The key takeaway is that it ISN'T because your reflexes aren't fast enough. The reason you can't respond fast enough is also because you're locked into your animation and can't do anything.

1. I did 3 attacks and was prepared to deflect. I MIGHT have been able to squeeze in a 4th hit, but even if the 4th hit lands, I don't know if it'll give me enough time to react after that.
2. After those deflects, I was able to mikiri counter because I wasn't pressing any other buttons. If I went on the offensive again, I wouldn't have been able to counter that.
3. Another 2 hit followed by a very tight deflect. Again, because I tapped each button just fast enough to do what I want and was prepared for any counters from the boss.

You can only plan your swings after knowing the boss patterns, but even when fighting a new enemy, the key is to not swing wildly. Getting greedy with your attacks will just mean you'll get hit. This strategy also works when something unexpected happens. I just had a run against a boss where I was able to swing my sword 5x in a row and is very unusual (see video below). I did it because I wasn't spamming and gave myself a split second to see what the next move was.

Perilous Sweep Vs Perilous Thrust

If a boss has a weapon and can do thrust or sweep perilous attacks, the best way to determine whether you should jump or mikiri is by looking for the blue flash of light on their weapon. The positioning of that light will tell you exactly what the attack is. You don't need to read the animation. The best part about looking for the light is that you can see the light even through dust and smoke kicked up by combat. The light is designed for easy read on perilous attacks. See the pictures.

Thrust
sHQEtLu.png

Sweep
HW0stmF.png

Notice the first image has tons of dust obscuring the boss, but you can see the blue light even through the dust. This takes practice and doesn't apply to all bosses since some of them only have one.

Aggression and Posture

I'm not going to cover how posture works in-depth since it's well explained and understood. I will say that people overemphasize the importance of YOUR posture. 90% of deaths come from you getting hit (usually because you're caught in your own animation and couldn't react properly). Most bosses don't have a follow-up move to capitalize on your broken posture. Your posture recovers quickly when your HP is high, and the bosses can usually kill you in 2 to 3 hits. If you're managing your HP, your posture will never be broken.

Posture matters more on bosses and enemies. Sekiro's combat does something no other game does. A lot of brawlers just requires you to unleash your attack on the bosses since they're wide open. Bosses in Sekiro block often and are rarely open for direct HP damage. In these kinds of fights, you should still swing at the boss even if you're not doing damage. A few swings at the boss causes them to deflect you, and then they counterattack. When they counterattack, you counter with your own deflection causing posture damage on the boss. It's a very tight back and forth of weapons clashing. Not all fights are like this, but still a crucial skill to master. Lady Butterfly is the first boss to teach you this.

You'll notice I was able to respond to every single one of her attacks. Part of the reason is that I know her moves. The other is because I wasn't spamming the attack button. I didn't miss a single perilous attack because I gave myself room to react.

Notice the rhythm of the attacks were either 1, 2, deflect or 1, 2, 3, deflect. I don't know what she's going to do, but I leave myself with a little room to react.

You'll notice I try to back up whenever she's high up. That's to get a better camera angle. I got lucky in this fight and she didn't jump too far causing any camera issues.

Around 1:57 mark I managed to swing my sword 5x. While I know her moves, this is completely unexpected. I reacted like it was natural because once again, I wasn't spamming the attack button.

Around 2:09 I made a mistake and got hit. I saw the attack and knew what was coming, I couldn't react because I was in the middle of my attack animation. This is the only real hit she scored on me. The other damage came from her unblockable butterflies.

Not all fights are like Lady Butterfly. This is the first boss. There's a good deal of deflecting, but the boss also leaves itself wide open for damage. The fight isn't as tight as the Lady Butterfly fight. I use deflect to get my openings. This is a good mixture of HP damage and posture damage. Also, notice I blundered my deflects early in the fight causing huge posture damage on myself. It was completely irrelevant because my HP was full and it went down quickly. I didn't even bother to hold block. In this fight, I let the boss come to me instead of being as aggressive as the previous fight.

If anybody wants, I have a last boss video where I can do a breakdown of everything that happened and the strategy that I used.

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I struggled hard with this game for the longest time. But then Ben Pack said "get in that ass and stay in that ass"...

It stuck with me, and it worked.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Your sword swing animation is the key. You can't do anything when you're already swinging your sword.

I am 99% sure that you are only locked into a swing if you have buffered the next move. If you swing once, you can cancel that swing mid-swing into a block; if you hit attack and hit attack a second time before the first attack is done, you cannot cancel into a block. This is a big difference from Souls.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
I am 99% sure that you are only locked into a swing if you have buffered the next move. If you swing once, you can cancel that swing mid-swing into a block; if you hit attack and hit attack a second time before the first attack is done, you cannot cancel into a block. This is a big difference from Souls.
I was going to say I'm almost completely sure you can cancel at least a significant part of the attack animation into a block.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to say I'm almost completely sure you can cancel at least a significant part of the attack animation into a block.

also, there's a second important detail: if there's an orange flash when your attack lands, the enemy is going to counter your next hit, so stop attacking and get ready to parry instead.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I didn't beat this game but to me it seemed the basic idea was press the buttons slowly, not fast. Also that the sparks when swords clash tell you not just how good your deflect was but if the boss deflected you, or something like that

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
Sekiro is easier when played aggressively.
Souls games are easier when played defensively.
Some people can't adjust well when alternating between the two. You only have to read comments in the OT about people finding it extremely difficult.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
isn't learning how to combat like the entire point of the game?
You'd be surprised how many people try to brute-force From's games by mashing the attack and block buttons until they eventually win. My partner is like this and it drives me up the wall lol. It doesn't help that he also hates the Soulsborne series due to them being "bullshit" even though it's 100% his stubborn ass refusing to change up his tactics.

Sekiro is easier when played aggressively.
Souls games are easier when played defensively.
Some people can't adjust well when alternating between the two. You only have to read comments in the OT about people finding it extremely difficult.

To be honest, all of From's games are easier when played aggressively -but- deliberately. If every swing of your weapon is on purpose and you're willing to learn enemy attack patterns, the games become piss-easy even if you're running around naked with just a sword.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I'll give people the same tip as I use for Nioh- find out what attacks you can handle from an enemy and place yourself in a situation to try to bait it out always.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
I've made a couple of posts explaining the combat, but they're buried either in the OT or someone else's thread. I watched a lot of videos that explain the combat, but none of them really hits the mark. The people making these videos are very skilled and know the combat very well, but they don't articulate very well. The only other place I found that caught onto this is a single sentence in the Sekiro Guide on Gamefaqs. Here I'm going to hammer that fact into you.

pTE0nKc.gif

To this...

Lk2twdT.gif

Offense

Your sword swing animation is the key. You can't do anything when you're already swinging your sword. Don't spam the attack button. When you just mash the attack button, you get caught in your own attack animation, and the only way out is when the attack animation is done, or until you get hit. Plan your sword swings. Say you want on swinging your sword 3x, then press the attack button 3x and don't mash the attack. If you mash too quickly, you'll end up getting a 4th swing, and that would be trouble. When you're done with the swings, give yourself a split second to figure out your next move by watching the enemy's patterns and how they reacted to your previous 3 (or however many you pressed) swings. This will allow you to parry, dodge, or jump out of the way.

The key takeaway is that it ISN'T because your reflexes aren't fast enough. The reason you can't respond fast enough is also because you're locked into your animation and can't do anything.

1. I did 3 attacks and was prepared to deflect. I MIGHT have been able to squeeze in a 4th hit, but even if the 4th hit lands, I don't know if it'll give me enough time to react after that.
2. After those deflects, I was able to mikiri counter because I wasn't pressing any other buttons. If I went on the offensive again, I wouldn't have been able to counter that.
3. Another 2 hit followed by a very tight deflect. Again, because I tapped each button just fast enough to do what I want and was prepared for any counters from the boss.

You can only plan your swings after knowing the boss patterns, but even when fighting a new enemy, the key is to not swing wildly. Getting greedy with your attacks will just mean you'll get hit. This strategy also works when something unexpected happens. I just had a run against a boss where I was able to swing my sword 5x in a row and is very unusual (see video below). I did it because I wasn't spamming and gave myself a split second to see what the next move was.

If a boss has a weapon and can do thrust or sweep perilous attacks, the best way to determine whether you should jump or mikiri is by looking for the blue flash of light on their weapon. The positioning of that light will tell you exactly what the attack is. You don't need to read the animation. The best part about looking for the light is that you can see the light even through dust and smoke kicked up by combat. The light is designed for easy read on perilous attacks. See the pictures.

Thrust
sHQEtLu.png

Sweep
HW0stmF.png

Notice the first image has tons of dust obscuring the boss, but you can see the blue light even through the dust. This takes practice and doesn't apply to all bosses since some of them only have one.

Aggression and Posture

I'm not going to cover how posture works in-depth since it's well explained and understood. I will say that people overemphasize the importance of YOUR posture. 90% of deaths come from you getting hit (usually because you're caught in your own animation and couldn't react properly). Most bosses don't have a follow-up move to capitalize on your broken posture. Your posture recovers quickly when your HP is high, and the bosses can usually kill you in 2 to 3 hits. If you're managing your HP, your posture will never be broken.

Posture matters more on bosses and enemies. Sekiro's combat does something no other game does. A lot of brawlers just requires you to unleash your attack on the bosses since they're wide open. Bosses in Sekiro block often and are rarely open for direct HP damage. In these kinds of fights, you should still swing at the boss even if you're not doing damage. A few swings at the boss causes them to deflect you, and then they counterattack. When they counterattack, you counter with your own deflection causing posture damage on the boss. It's a very tight back and forth of weapons clashing. Not all fights are like this, but still a crucial skill to master. Lady Butterfly is the first boss to teach you this.

You'll notice I was able to respond to every single one of her attacks. Part of the reason is that I know her moves. The other is because I wasn't spamming the attack button. I didn't miss a single perilous attack because I gave myself room to react.

Notice the rhythm of the attacks were either 1, 2, deflect or 1, 2, 3, deflect. I don't know what she's going to do, but I leave myself with a little room to react.

You'll notice I try to back up whenever she's high up. That's to get a better camera angle. I got lucky in this fight and she didn't jump too far causing any camera issues.

Around 1:57 mark I managed to swing my sword 5x. While I know her moves, this is completely unexpected. I reacted like it was natural because once again, I wasn't spamming the attack button.

Around 2:09 I made a mistake and got hit. I saw the attack and knew what was coming, I couldn't react because I was in the middle of my attack animation. This is the only real hit she scored on me. The other damage came from her unblockable butterflies.

Not all fights are like Lady Butterfly. This is the first boss. There's a good deal of deflecting, but the boss also leaves itself wide open for damage. The fight isn't as tight as the Lady Butterfly fight. I use deflect to get my openings. This is a good mixture of HP damage and posture damage. Also, notice I blundered my deflects early in the fight causing huge posture damage on myself. It was completely irrelevant because my HP was full and it went down quickly. I didn't even bother to hold block. In this fight, I let the boss come to me instead of being as aggressive as the previous fight.

If anybody wants, I have a last boss video where I can do a breakdown of everything that happened and the strategy that I used.

I'm not quite sure if teaching through text will ever matter to a game like Sekiro. Watch a vid and practice, and internalize "hesitation is defeat", in the end it's what that matters.

You can teach boxing very technically through words, but in the end going into real practice is the one that makes the difference.

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
You'd be surprised how many people try to brute-force From's games by mashing the attack and block buttons until they eventually win. My partner is like this and it drives me up the wall lol. It doesn't help that he also hates the Soulsborne series due to them being "bullshit" even though it's 100% his stubborn ass refusing to change up his tactics.

It's like refusing to jump in a Mario game

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I'm not quite sure if teaching through text will ever matter to a game like Sekiro. Watch a vid and practice, and internalize "hesitation is defeat", in the end it's what that matters.

You can teach boxing very technically through words, but in the end going into real practice is the one that makes the difference.

I think the whole point is people can't figure out this stuff by themselves already.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
This game will forever elude me. I wish it had more of Ghost of Tsushima combat design in the combat.

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017

Right, that's why I said not to mash the attack button. There is a small window to cancel into a block, but it's small.

That's why I have videos.

Oct 27, 2017

pTE0nKc.gif

To this...

Lk2twdT.gif

Offense

Thrust
sHQEtLu.png

Sweep
HW0stmF.png

Aggression and Posture

in the first video are you holding the parry button or timing it?

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I admit I didn't understand the combat at all until I watched this video:

I definitely recommend it for beginners. If there are any left?

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
I dont remember where i read the advice but it basically said to play it like a rhythm game and it got a lot easier after that.

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I admit I didn't understand the combat at all until I watched this video:

I definitely recommend it for beginners. If there are any left?

This was the video I was thinking of when I mentioned an overemphasis on your posture. Your own posture is usually not the reason you lost the fight. You lost the fight cause you got hit, or didn't know how to deal with an attack. Controlling the boss's posture is important. That's why people say to be aggressive. Aggressively attacking the boss keeps their posture high. But when people think aggressive, it means to tap the attack button as fast as possible.

Remachinate

Oct 27, 2017
To me, the urgency and flow of Sekiro's combat feels very similar to Punch-Out. Anyone who's played the latter series of games knows that as you reach the higher circuits, you can't simply wait to dodge punches and counterattack and still TKO the opponent under the 3-minute timer. Instead, you have to be proactively looking for openings to put the opponent on the defensive and whale on him, but also be very aware of when to pause once they recover their defenses (gloves up in PO, deflect flash/sound in Sekiro). When you're constantly in the opponent's face, you dictate the pace of the fight, and make it feel like they're responding to you rather than the other way around.

Just compare the constant aggression between this fight with Mr. Sandman in Super Punch-Out and one of the earlier minibosses in Sekiro:

This is of course high-level play in both cases, but you get a sense of how you interrupt and limit your opponent's attacks by pushing your own, and the faster you go, the sooner you fully break their defenses (dizzy in PO, posture break in Sekiro).

Letting go of the Souls comparison and understanding this analogue is hugely helpful to appreciating Sekiro for what it is in my opinion.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Oh, you misunderstand - my problem isn't with Sekiro, I adore the game and have beaten the fuck out of it. I thought it would be clear that I was talking about your comment, but I guess not.

If it makes you feel any better I was half joking about the "doesn't have any combos" since that's the main criticism newcomers have to learning fighting games.

But Sekiro is not a complex game to learn, this I stand by. It's a "simple" but difficult game. There's a reason people joked that it's a rhythm game

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Game is fantastic and everything can be mastered, but I must admit I sort of groaned when I realised sweeps and thrusts had the same exact warning symbol and noise, and you just had to tell which it was from the enemy animation. It would've been so easy to have a different colour, but they thought, "Nah, they'll just have to GIT GUD" (And I did)

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
To me, the urgency and flow of Sekiro's combat feels very similar to Punch-Out. Anyone who's played the latter series of games knows that as you reach the higher circuits, you can't simply wait to dodge punches and counterattack and still TKO the opponent under the 3-minute timer. Instead, you have to be proactively looking for openings to put the opponent on the defensive and whale on him, but also be very aware of when to pause once they recover their defenses (gloves up in PO, deflect flash/sound in Sekiro). When you're constantly in the opponent's face, you dictate the pace of the fight, and make it feel like they're responding to you rather than the other way around.

Just compare the constant aggression between this fight with Mr. Sandman in Super Punch-Out and one of the earlier minibosses in Sekiro:

This is of course high-level play in both cases, but you get a sense of how you interrupt and limit your opponent's attacks by pushing your own, and the faster you go, the sooner you fully break their defenses (dizzy in PO, posture break in Sekiro).

Letting go of the Souls comparison and understanding this analogue is hugely helpful to appreciating Sekiro for what it is in my opinion.

Yeah, that's how I described the combat when I made my first post after beating it the first time.

Also notice how almost all the bosses are taller than you in the game? That's another thing it shares with Punch-Out. The flash of light for the Perilous Attacks reminds me of the camera flash to indicate when to gut-punch Bald Bull in the original NES game.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I dont remember where i read the advice but it basically said to play it like a rhythm game and it got a lot easier after that.
Yeah once you get down the rhythm of R1 and L1 the game becomes much easier. Small techniques like being aggressive towards your enemies forcing them into a block really helped. Once I nailed that down, I started to incorporate prosthetics arm attacks into the mix and suddenly the combat feels really good and deep.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
This was the video I was thinking of when I mentioned an overemphasis on your posture. Your own posture is usually not the reason you lost the fight. You lost the fight cause you got hit, or didn't know how to deal with an attack. Controlling the boss's posture is important. That's why people say to be aggressive. Aggressively attacking the boss keeps their posture high. But when people think aggressive, it means to tap the attack button as fast as possible.

Yeah I do agree that in most situations your own posture is a bit of an afterthought; I liked that you included that part in your OP. It's something to be wary of, but it's more like you miss an opportunity to heal rather than certain death.

My biggest problem is discerning sweeps from thrusts. I know they look different, but my brain just doesn't react fast enough, so I almost always use a jump to get away or head-stomp.

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
My biggest problem is discerning sweeps from thrusts. I know they look different, but my brain just doesn't react fast enough, so I almost always use a jump to get away or head-stomp.

I had the same issue. That's how I discovered the shining light cue. I found it annoying that the dust from combat obscures your view, so you can't even look at the enemy's animation to tell the difference. I thought there had to be another easier way to do it. Turns out there was. Once I discover that I don't even look at the character, I just look for the light. The light tells me what to do. I think that's actually pretty clever.

Oct 26, 2017
I struggled so much with bad guys who would spin on their heels and hit me even after I dodged, or even worse, bad guys that were mid-air, I dodge, then they somehow change their inertia and point at me anywho. And by struggle, I mean that it would enrage me. lol. That first troll thing you fight, then Lady Butterfly, drove me bananas. I haven't touched this since beating Lady Butterfly. All these recent threads make me want to boot it back up....

Oct 28, 2017
I had the same issue. That's how I discovered the shining light cue. I found it annoying that the dust from combat obscures your view, so you can't even look at the enemy's animation to tell the difference. I thought there had to be another easier way to do it. Turns out there was. Once I discover that I don't even look at the character, I just look for the light. The light tells me what to do. I think that's actually pretty clever.
I don't understand what you're saying. So you see a light. How does that tell you if it's a thrust or sweep? I assume a light only appears for one of the two?

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand what you're saying. So you see a light. How does that tell you if it's a thrust or sweep? I assume a light only appears for one of the two?

The positioning of the light will tell you. You'll see that the light is at different positions relative to my character and at different distances.

If the light is closer to you, that's a thrust. If the light is further from you, it's a sweep. You need to learn to look for it so it does take practice.

I struggled so much with bad guys who would spin on their heels and hit me even after I dodged, or even worse, bad guys that were mid-air, I dodge, then they somehow change their inertia and point at me anywho. And by struggle, I mean that it would enrage me. lol. That first troll thing you fight, then Lady Butterfly, drove me bananas. I haven't touched this since beating Lady Butterfly. All these recent threads make me want to boot it back up....

Did the guide and my video help? Notice how little I actually damaged Lady Butterfly's HP compared to Gyoubu? I probably scored maybe 5 real hits on Lady Butterfly. All the "damage" was me hacking at her while she was blocking. You'll very rarely catch her off guard to do direct damage to her health. Don't waste your time hoping she'll be off-guard. You should constantly force her to block your moves, all while deflecting when she fights back.

When she jumps, time to use shurikens. Don't throw when she's looking directly at you (19 second mark and also around the 37 second mark. The 37 second one shows it more clearly on how I waited before throwing a shuriken). If she does the zigzag jump (14 second mark in the video), you can fire a shuriken without waiting. When she jumps and you see the danger symbol (23 second mark in the video), that's also time to throw the shuriken.

Hotbug

Dec 3, 2020
OP the mods you have are distracting from what you're trying to explain. If I were to summarize it right now, my takeaway would be:

1. Mashing the attack button will lock you in an attack animation which will make your dodging abilities unavailable to you when you see the enemy winding up WhompEmStompEm Attack.
2. From the pictures regarding Perilous Sweep/Thrust I'm guessing what you're trying to say is that if the enemy is using a Perilous Sweep, there will be a blue flash lower to the ground, and if they are using a Perilous Thrust, there will be a blue flash more at the midline/upper part of the body (it's basically following where they are holding their weapon before the attack). And this is what you should be using to guide your actions, not the red text that appears over their head or whatever animation they're doing.
3. Stuff about what "playing aggressive" means...I feel like this is responding to other forms of instruction and other games rather than being standalone. You don't mention that there are cues for blocking vs. deflecting attacks (different spark and sound), but honestly in the game I found it very hard to read these cues so I don't mind the omission.

How do people not know how to play Sekiro? The game doesn't even have combos

It's cool to not post needlessly antagonistic messages on page 1 of a help thread. Like in the game, you don't have to mash the attack button just because you can.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
The realization that helped me the most with Sekiro is that you need to block EARLY. You're conditioned by almost every other video game in existence to press a button just before an attack hits to successfully parry it, but that's not how Sekiro works. You need to hit the button way earlier than you'd think to parry successfully.

I believe there's actually a tooltip in Sekiro itself telling you to parry just before an attack lands, which makes it even more confusing because that's just flatly incorrect.

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
OP the mods you have are distracting from what you're trying to explain. If I were to summarize it right now, my takeaway would be:

I'm reasonably sure the OP made this thread just so he could show off his silly mods ;)

I originally made these as a competition with my friend to see who can beat X boss the fastest. You know I had to teabag someone with balls like that. It's the only videos I had and I'm too lazy to re-record and upload.

I got sillier mods. The Ogre is modded into Shrek.

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
i'm just laughing my ass off because i don't know how anyone could play this game seriously modded to be shaggy. that shit is hysterical