• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you're gonna try calling me out, try to actually make an argument so I can (easily) rebut them. Otherwise, keep it to yourself.
I'm not going to waste my time with this any further. If you dont want to engage with the arguments and think you could easily debunk them because you worked on a small portfolio of games all the more power to you. It just makes you look ridiculous.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
-Attacks that deleveled you
-Enemies getting stronger when you die
-Spawning stronger enemies when you die
-Grinding for health items

These are things from Demon Souls that were all but removed when Dark Souls (their most popular game) came out. And judging by how well Dark Souls is received by everyone I would say people appreciated these changes and more people got to play the game because of them.

That's the thing people keep forgetting. From has ALREADY shown that they are willing to abandon and add certain difficulty concepts for the sake of appealing to different people with different tastes.
Except for the fact they took the ability to spam healing items by making them bound to the checkpoints. Most people found Dark Souls far more challenging then Demon Soul. They made bosses much more difficult, made Estus a set number of heals, and introduced other elements to compensate for some of the removed elements from Demon Souls.

Deleted member 1120

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except for the fact they took the ability to spam healing items by making them bound to the checkpoints. Most people found Dark Souls far more challenging then Demon Soul. They made bosses much more difficult, made Estus a set number of heals, and introduced other elements to compensate for some of the removed elements from Demon Souls.
Not to mention that they took out the ability to call for help in Sekiro. Which is one of the issues people have, since they can't summon for help, the game is already harder for people who played souls like that.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Plenty of things change from each insteallment to the next. Do you know what always stays the same since over a decade? Exactly. Miyazaki aknowledges when he can improve on a plethora of things, and then acts on it. He very clearly stated, multiple times, that multiple difficulty settings is not one of these things, and his last 6 games or so underline that.
Then don't make multiple difficulty settings. Just make 1. Then you can have certain modifiers. The exact same ones they use when they debug the game. One hit kill, max souls, etc. Simple as that. No other difficulty modes have to be made and now people have more options to enjoy the game the way they want to. It is a literal no downsides option. You can't even say it would effect sales because every game on the PC has an easily downloadable trainer and yet every single From game seeks millions on the PC.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
User warned: hostility
I'm not going to waste my time with this any further. If you dont want to engage with the arguments and think you could easily debunk them because you worked on a small portfolio of games all the more power to you. It just makes you look ridiculous.
WHAT ARGUMENTS

jfc
Then don't make multiple difficulty settings. Just make 1. Then you can have certain modifiers. The exact same ones they use when they debug the game. One hit kill, max souls, etc. Simple as that. No other difficulty modes have to be made and now people have more options to enjoy the game the way they want to. It is a literal no downsides option. You can't even say it would effect sales because every game on the PC has an easily downloadable trainer and yet every single From game seeks millions on the PC.
No but then the HARDCORE BROZ won't be able to tell everyone how much they rule because anybody will be able to clear it

You dummy

Last edited:

NaudiRajah

Jun 8, 2018
Lol "ableist" speech. Jesus Christ. Absolutely nothing wrong with not having different difficulty settings, 90% of games are easy as hell anyway. I got no problem with making fonts bigger or color options and stuff but it is literally impossible to make every game playable for everyone.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are you a game designer? I am not saying I know better I am saying I personally know noone and I have been part of the cummunity and put thousands of hours into the series; however adding an easy option that went "offline" so someone could enjoy it who is not as skilled as someone as myself is not a problem in my eyes. Maybe you are too narrow minded because you seem pretty hurt about any changes on the difficulty. It's a design choice but it's not proven it is why it is successful because they have not even tried to create a game with difficulty options. Maby if they did and it flopped I would concur with you but until it does happen you are worried over absolutely nothing.
It is absolutely proven that the community is what let this game grow from Demon's Souls to Souls and onwards back then, and that community grew especially fast and well because they all shared the exact same experience. Everyone was in the same boat. That creates a sense of companionship and incentive to help each other out via ingame messages, summonings and forums like barely anything else does. They already deviated from that with Sekiro anyway though.

The devs are aware of it, and they don't feel the need to deviate from it as long as their games continue to grow in sales with each new release. They are catering to a niche noone in the AAA or even AA space catered to before they showed up, and that niche continues to grow.

I'm not worried about anything. Again, if they want to include difficulty settings, that's their decision and I'd be fine with it. They would have a reason for deviating from their core design principle. But as long they don't have a reason for it I don't see a problem in that.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
-Attacks that deleveled you
-Enemies getting stronger when you die
-Spawning stronger enemies when you die
-Grinding for health items

These are things from Demon Souls that were all but removed when Dark Souls (their most popular game) came out. And judging by how well Dark Souls is received by everyone I would say people appreciated these changes and more people got to play the game because of them.

That's the thing people keep forgetting. From has ALREADY shown that they are willing to abandon and add certain difficulty concepts for the sake of appealing to different people with different tastes.
As Nami says, these are not changes made "for appealing to people with different tastes" but rather game design choices.
Dark Souls is beautifully crafted with Estus in mind so that you can explore from checkpoint to next with the limited amount providing you some tension on your journey, while Demons Souls levels don't have any checkpoints in-between but rather shortcuts so you're expected to stock up for the time you're planning to spend there, do you want to just open a shortcut or go straight for the boss.

effin

Jan 20, 2019
I think it IS worth looking through at the numerous points people have made, because honestly I do agree with them. It doesn't mean that we can't be discussing the importance of accessibility- but it's also important to see where people are coming from on the other side of the argument.

To bring up (just one) point many people have made prior, there is a very strong community behind these games, and in large part this is due to the difficulty. Everyone going through a tough boss is going through the same struggle you did, and there's a kind of strange comradery created as a result. Does this gate people out of the experience? Yes. Is that a good thing? No. However for that that experience to exist it RELIES on its difficulty that has no compromises or ways out.

There's a huge number of reasons people have given in the thread but I genuinely do believe it would harm the experience, and I'm not saying this without also saying that accessibility is important - just that it WOULD have an impact.

additionally I don't think it's fair to equate it to something like Celeste. I agree that the accessibility options in that game are fantastic, however if you add them into souls games you already destroy the point made above - and that's just a single reason.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That completely goes against what they want to accomplish with their design though. It's not about the word "difficulty settings", it's about what only having one difficulty accomplishes for their design goals. Adding modifiers would be the exact same thing as adding different difficulties, it would detract from the experience the devs want to deliver. That's the freaking downside lol.

You think Miyazaki and co. ponder endlessly over the exact number of frames an attack needs to be visisble in its windup but still challenging to react to, over the respective hitboxes and animations, and then add something for you to circumvent all of that?

Why would he? That's not the experience he wants to deliver, and it shouldn't be mandatory for him to do so. If you personally want to experience the game that way that's on you, not them.

Last edited:

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think it IS worth looking through at the numerous points people have made, because honestly I do agree with them. It doesn't mean that we can't be discussing the importance of accessibility- but it's also important to see where people are coming from on the other side of the argument.

To bring up (just one) point many people have made prior, there is a very strong community behind these games, and in large part this is due to the difficulty. Everyone going through a tough boss is going through the same struggle you did, and there's a kind of strange comradery created as a result. Does this gate people out of the experience? Yes. Is that a good thing? No. However for that that experience to exist it RELIES on its difficulty that has no compromises or ways out.

There's a huge number of reasons people have given in the thread but I genuinely do believe it would harm the experience, and I'm not saying this without also saying that accessibility is important - just that it WOULD have an impact.

additionally I don't think it's fair to equate it to something like Celeste. I agree that the accessibility options in that game are fantastic, however if you add them into souls games you already destroy the point made above - and that's just a single reason.
The only way adding in an easier difficulty (or assist mode options) would affect the community is if the community is formed around how much better they are then other people, and if that's the case (it seems to be, for many), fuck 'em. If it's because they genuinely enjoy a really challenging experience (which will remain untouched) or because they love the gameplay, lore, graphics, audio, or production, they're all good.

NBA players don't lose their sense of community because some kids lower the rim to 8 feet. They're strengthened by it, and encourage people of all skill levels to play basketball and enjoy the game they love so much.

I do not accept that "people are just going to take the easy way out". That didn't happen for Celeste, it doesn't happen for bowling, it doesn't happen for anything where people enjoy a challenge. And I'm tired of people telling me they don't want other people to have options and enjoy the game because they think THEIR weak asses are gonna pick the easier option.

Mattiator

Oct 25, 2017
It is absolutely proven that the community is what let this game grow from Demon's Souls to Souls and onwards back then, and that community grew especially fast and well because they all shared the exact same experience. Everyone was in the same boat. That creates a sense of companionship and incentive to help each other out via ingame messages, summonings and forums like barely anything else does. Certainly no offline experience like you suggest.

The devs are aware of that, and they don't feel the need to deviate from it as long as their games continue to grow in sales with each new release. They are catering to a niche noone in the AAA or even AA space catered to before they showed up, and that niche continues to grow.

I'm not worried about anything. Again, if they want to include difficulty settings, that's their decision and I'd be fine with it. They would have a reason for deviating from their core design principle. But as long they don't have a reason for it I don't see a problem in that.

I'm not gonna argue with you because in my opinion you are correct on your points but I also feel I am correct.
There are a ton of people out there who would love to play but can't get past the difficulty and I don't see a problem with having any other option to make it more enjoyable for others.
I never got into the series because of the difficulty I enjoyed it because of other areas, shit when I first tried demon souls I went to return it and was like fuck that this is too hard, but I did some reading and got back into it because I loved other aspects of the game so much.
I played some much of the series that now I can pretty much can breeze through all the games in the series.
I don't like thinking that this series is only good because of a difficulty that you can easily overcome with summons, builds or practice, I like to think of the bigger picture and it is a fuckin beauty of a game.

effin

Jan 20, 2019
The only way adding in an easier difficulty (or assist mode options) would affect the community is if the community is formed around how much better they are then other people, and if that's the case (it seems to be, for many), fuck 'em. If it's because they genuinely enjoy a really challenging experience (which will remain untouched) or because they love the gameplay, lore, graphics, audio, or production, they're all good.

NBA players don't lose their sense of community because some kids lower the rim to 8 feet. They're strengthened by it, and encourage people of all skill levels to play basketball and enjoy the game they love so much.
I get it that that's how the community can seem (and I mean honestly, there probably is a decent percentage that IS that way) however that's not the only point.

As someone else discussed, a huge huge part of the games is that they feel like you're scaling a mountain. That relief and joy you get when you best an incredibly hard boss is an enormous part of the experience. The reason why I do believe accessibility options would harm this (even though as mentioned I don't think it's a good thing NOT having the options ) is that they give you a way out. At least speaking for myself - and some others in the thread - knowing there's an easier way out with the boss changes my mindset against it. Suddenly it feels like this isn't a mountain I have to climb, but one I could circumvent once it gets too painful. Instead I have the same tools as everyone else, and I know there's no way over it except beating it the same way everyone else did. For some reason that makes me feel okay going up against a difficult boss over and over again.

Alongside this, the community is 100% an enormous part of why these games are successful, so it's not easily dismissed as just a minor change if it does end up impacting the reason a lot of people play these games.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
So because he brings it up and every other dev under the sun just...doesn't, makes this game more ripe for criticsm?
Someone here asked if you would tell every artists who paints that they have to include a second set of their work that is made for people with colorblindness. Obviously you wouldn't. Obviously you also wouldn't think artists who don't do that are being "sorta" ableist. Even artists who openly would say they won't do it because it's too much work and goes against their creative process wouldn't be ableist because of it. At least not any more or less thant he ones that just don't talk about it.
Of course people can target any game for the same criticism. It's not like people wanted to expose FromSoft in some bad faith.

For the art comparison, unlike video games which are mass produced data based entertainment, traditional artworks are supposed to be one and only objects. What matters is not about this object, but how galleries and museums as the actual service providers present the work to visitors. The truth is, galleries, especially the rich ones, spend a lot on accessible facilities. Artists don't make alt-versions of their works, but it's possible to have disability-friendly documentations.

Jonathan Lanza

Feb 8, 2019
That completely goes against what they want to accomplish with their design though. It's not about the word "difficulty settings", it's about what only having one difficulty accomplishes for their design goals. Adding modifiers would be the exact same thing as adding different difficulties, it would detrct from the experience the devs want to deliver. That's the freaking downside lol.
How is that a downside if every player gets what they want? You want the normal experience then you get that and if you want to diverge from that then you get that. Any argument about "Every player wouldn't be playing on the same difficulty" is rendered completely moot by the fact that that already happens with the PC version of the game. Plenty of people play with trainers, they come out like a day after the game comes out and are incredibly easy to download. I know people who cheat through the entire game and enjoy it just fine, hell some of these people end up liking the game more than I like it.

The "shared singular experience" narrative has long since been circumvented and it could be argued that it was never really a thing in the first place as from the beginning people have been experiencing the game in radically different ways from people who don't play online to people who don't get to the end of the game to people who don't buy all the Downloadable Content.

And despite this the games are received excellently. It's a noble philosophy but ultimately a philosophy that never had any basis in reality and especially doesn't now that there's easy ways to get around it.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I get it that that's how the community can seem (and I mean honestly, there probably is a decent percentage that IS that way) however that's not the only point.

As someone else discussed, a huge huge part of the games is that they feel like you're scaling a mountain. That relief and joy you get when you best an incredibly hard boss is an enormous part of the experience. The reason why I do believe accessibility options would harm this (even though as mentioned I don't think it's a good thing NOT having the options ) is that they give you a way out. At least speaking for myself - and some others in the thread - knowing there's an easier way out with the boss changes my mindset against it. Suddenly it feels like this isn't a mountain I have to climb, but one I could circumvent once it gets too painful. Instead I have the same tools as everyone else, and I know there's no way over it except beating it the same way everyone else did. For some reason that makes me feel okay going up against a difficult boss over and over again.

Alongside this, the community is 100% an enormous part of why these games are successful, so it's not easily dismissed as just a minor change if it does end up impacting the reason a lot of people play these games.
You are claiming that, but past experience with other games and players has shown that really isn't the case. (Especially if you do something trivial, like adding a stamp to a save file if you use assist options!) And something tells me you wouldn't *really* use them. You clearly feel some measure of pride in overcoming these challenges, which I respect. I think you should have more faith in yourself.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Love the setting and wanna play this game but being difficult put me off. I don't really have much time and energy to spend on gaming as much as I used too. Let alone practice my gaming skill to pass game like this. It doesn't make the game bad, it make the game unayable for many people who grown up with life and family get in the way.

That's why I appreciate a company like Capcom. They make challenging game but at the same time balance it in a way that make it accessible for people like me. So you don't feel like you play dump down easy game.

Making a good game is difficult regardless of difficulty. Making well balance game that is accessible by many people is a lot more difficult than just make it straight up difficult.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How is that a downside if every player gets what they want? You want the normal experience then you get that and if you want to diverge from that then you get that. Any argument about "Every player wouldn't be playing on the same difficulty" is rendered completely moot by the fact that that already happens with the PC version of the game. Plenty of people play with trainers, they come out like a day after the game comes out and are incredibly easy to download. I know people who cheat through the entire game and enjoy it just fine, hell some of these people end up liking the game more than I like it.

The "shared singular experience" narrative has long since been circumvented and it could be argued that it was never really a thing in the first place as from the beginning people have been experiencing the game in radically different ways from people who don't play online to people who don't get to the end of the game to people who don't buy all the Downloadable Content.

And despite this the games are received excellently. It's a noble philosophy but ultimately a philosophy that never had any basis in reality and especially doesn't now that there's easy ways to get around it.
It's a downside for what the dev intended his game to be. It's a dowside to the dev's intent. These folks aren't robots who search for the lowest common denominator.
Miyazaki didn't intend for people to use third party software to circumvent his game design, nor is it in his power or (probably) motivation to stop people from doing that. He's not forcing anything down anyone's throat, he makes a game and people either like it or not.
That's why I said you, or anybody else, can obviously do with their copy whatever they want. Install trainers, burn it, use it as a frisbee. But demanding any of that shit to be done from the devs side doesn't make much sense to me.

People who don't play online, don't play to the end, or don't have the downloadable content, still experienced the parts they actually played the same way everyone else did. That's because there is just one difficulty.

You are basically saying the philosophy the devs have isn't based in reality, despite it being their reason for success. Despite them being received excellently, despite them selling well. Seems like their faux philosophy is working.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Of course people can target any game for the same criticism. It's not like people wanted to expose FromSoft in some bad faith.

For the art comparison, unlike video games which are mass produced data based entertainment, traditional artworks are supposed to be one and only objects. What matters is not about this object, but how galleries and museums as the actual service providers present the work to visitors. The truth is, galleries, especially the rich ones, spend a lot on accessible facilities. Artists don't make alt-versions of their works, but it's possible to have disability-friendly documentations.
Of course they do , because they wan to stick it to Froms "toxic" fanbase. Some people in this very thread would looove to shove these fans their "git gud" (even if they never said it, but appearently everyone arguing against them says it) in their faces, or tell them how they were right all along. Why do you think this discussion comes up again and again with this particular dev?

Games are mass produced as a product, but the creative process behind making them is absolutely the same, and it seems like people often conflate these things.
I would be all for system wide disablity options on every console, too.
I'm not gonna argue with you because in my opinion you are correct on your points but I also feel I am correct.
There are a ton of people out there who would love to play but can't get past the difficulty and I don't see a problem with having any other option to make it more enjoyable for others.
I never got into the series because of the difficulty I enjoyed it because of other areas, shit when I first tried demon souls I went to return it and was like fuck that this is too hard, but I did some reading and got back into it because I loved other aspects of the game so much.
I played some much of the series that now I can pretty much can breeze through all the games in the series.
I don't like thinking that this series is only good because of a difficulty that you can easily overcome with summons, builds or practice, I like to think of the bigger picture and it is a fuckin beauty of a game.
I don't like thinking that either, and it's definetly not the case. But it's still part of their design philosophy, for (as of yet) good reason.

Jonathan Lanza

Feb 8, 2019
It's a downside for what the dev intended his game to be. It's a dowside to the dev's intent. These folks aren't robots who search for the lowest common denominator.
Miyazaki didn't intend for people to use third party software to circumvent his game design, nor is it in his power or (probably) motivation to stop people from doing that. He's not forcing anything down anyone's throat, he makes a game and people either like it or not.
That's why I said you, or anybody else, can obviously do with their copy whatever they want. Install trainers, burn it, use it as a frisbee. But demanding any of that shit to be done from the devs side doesn't make much sense to me.

People who don't play online, don't play to the end, or don't have the downloadable content, still experienced the parts they actually played the same way everyone else did. That's because there is just one difficulty.

You are basically saying the philosophy the devs have isn't based in reality, despite it being their reason for success. Despite them being received excellently, despite them selling well. Seems like their faux philosophy is working.
You are misunderstanding. When I say the philosophy is not based in reality what I mean is that the idea of a singular shared experience isn't an actual thing and this is evident by the fact that this...
People who don't play online, don't play to the end, or don't have the downloadable content, still experienced the parts they actually played the same way everyone else did.

....is untrue.
People who play the whole game offline have experienced the game completely differently from people who played it all online.
People who have looked up guides and know where the big fire breathing dragon is what he's gonna do experience that part of the game differently from people who were not aware of it.
People have fight the Taurus Demon have experienced the fight completely differently from people who had the fucker fall off the bridge and kill himself.
And of course, people who have an easy time with the game experience the game completely differently from people who have a hard time with the game. Let's not act as if the latter people don't exist.

People have long since been experiencing parts of these games and even the entire games completely differently from everyone else. People will experience the same thing completely differently, they may see things you don't see, or enjoy things differently then you. It's BECAUSE people experience things differently that there are people who play these games for a variety of reasons. That's not a video game thing, that's a fact of life. The philosophy isn't grounded in reality because it doesn't really happen. People have different experience. No doubt you're going to find people who experienced the same things you did but that doesn't mean everyone or even a majority did.

And the game's are still great! And people still love them even if the philosophy hasn't really been achieved. And if that is the case then it's hard to see any downsides to modifiers as people are already experiencing the games radically differently from eachother and still having a good time. The only potential downside is as you said the possibility that Miyazaki is personally miffed by the fact that people play his game differently then he intended but I do not think that should be any cause for distress.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
FROMSOFT makes their games for a specific group of people who like hard challenges and the feeling of overcoming those challenges. They are not for everyone. And that is perfectly ok.

Other studios make battle royale games and moba's and they are not for everyone as well. And thats also ok.

Its the same damn thing.

FROMSOFT should never add an easy mode. ever. This is why I come to FROMSOFT games with excitement and anticipation. The 2 weeks leading up to a FROMSOFT release are the longest two weeks ever because I can not wait to see what they did and how hard its going to be for me to overcome.

I spent a good 2 hours on the OWL fight and could feel myself getting better and better till I overcame the fight. It felt amazing landing that final deathblow.

They should not change their formula for anyone.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
FROMSOFT makes their games for a specific group of people who like hard challenges and the feeling of overcoming those challenges. They are not for everyone. And that is perfectly ok.

Other studios make battle royale games and moba's and they are not for everyone as well. And thats also ok.

Its the same damn thing.

FROMSOFT should never add an easy mode. ever. This is why I come to FROMSOFT games with excitement and anticipation. The 2 weeks leading up to a FROMSOFT release are the longest two weeks ever because I can not wait to see what they did and how hard its going to be for me to overcome.

I spent a good 2 hours on the OWL fight and could feel myself getting better and better till I overcame the fight. It felt amazing landing that final deathblow.

They should not change their formula for anyone.
I'm pretty sure nothing being suggested would require FROMSOFT would alter that experience for you.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But they don't need to do anything. Their games are for a specific audience. Just like MOBA's and battle royale games.
Devil May Cry is for a specific audience too.

And yet.
eEVoKDLSiuR0gw8ogNmQ0blAiEu6czQdeZ77lm_ybEnchzIffEKt1qEp1KDSBefr6UiEHk1nKTR5K0a5tShggBt2aBSr6pLQosbhFFZKHLqAqqoRx6b7NA306-ftNQR2azplpKMI

And amazingly, this did not in fact ruin the DMC series.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
There are no well-reasoned arguments for why adding a difficulty setting would compromise core experiences of the game, because the core experience of the game would be untouched. If the player "can't resist", that's their problem, not the developer's. This is, again, like arguing against the existence of bumpers in bowling lanes because you don't think you'd be able to resist using them.
Sekiro is a game carried entirely by the experience of just barely slipping by. It's about being forced to focus and pay attention in a way that the vast majority of games do not expect you to do. What makes the game work is that the game is carefully tuned in a way that allows the player to gradually learn it as they progress. Adding more difficulties or options to give players the ability to fine-tune the gameplay has a nontrivial effect on how much work it takes the developer to curate the difficulty. If you add an easy mode, what you're left with is just a shitty action game that retains very little of what makes it good. To avoid that, the developer would essentially have to duplicate the work of curating the "normal" mode except now they need to imagine a player whose skill level they can't even really define. And then after all that if the game still turns out to be too hard for some people - and it will, because being challenged to pay attention is literally the point of the game - you'd still have failed to address the criticism that some people simply can't beat Sekiro.

If your argument is that developers should include options that allow people to make their game bad for the sake of letting people beat it, then you'd do best to just say so.

I also reject the argument that Sekiro creates some kind of a reaction time barrier that some players are physically incapable of overcoming. While this is probably true to an extent, the fact is that a lot of people have beaten Sekiro and they're hardly genetic freaks. Indeed, I have a rather poor reaction time and was able to beat the game without too much trouble. Some players may have gotten through it faster than I did, but since my pride isn't wrapped up in being able to beat videogames that's not a huge deal to me.

Finally, even if I'm wrong and Sekiro would be a good game even if it was easy, there are entire genres of games for which difficulty and a massive barrier of entry are defining traits. I am a big fan of the Tetris the Grandmaster series. The third game in that series is so difficult that it might as well be impossible; the number of people who have beaten it is in the single digits despite there being a decent size community of players who have been trying for the past fourteen years. Indeed, it's probably true that most of the people who play the game are fundamentally, physically incapable of playing Tetris at the speed required to play the game to completion. TGM's intrigue (not to mention fanbase) would disappear overnight if the games were easier to beat. TGM3's legacy is entirely tied to the absurdity of the requirements and the level of accomplishment it takes to overcome them. Why is there no concern about the accessibility of this game? Is it a sales thing? Could it be that the real problem is that people don't like the idea of a AAA they can't beat?

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Death penalty discourages exploration. If you're going to make people die constantly, at least don't take away their EXP.
That's the point though. Without the penalty for dying it wouldn't even be the same game anymore. The penalty is meant to encourage you to be patient, examine your surroundings carefully, and actually learn from your mistakes. Death is a part of the experience and if these games were easier to the point where you hardly ever died, it would negate so many of the game's mechanics and themes. I get that some people might want to leisurely explore these beautifully crafted worlds but that's just not what these games are about. You don't go to a horror movie and then complain when you get scared.

This is just such a weird mentality that people often apply to the Souls games. Most games don't offer ways of completely negating the intended experience.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
That's the point though. Without the penalty for dying it wouldn't even be the same game anymore. The penalty is meant to encourage you to be patient, examine your surroundings carefully, and actually learn from your mistakes. Death is a part of the experience and if these games were easier to the point where you hardly ever died, it would negate so many of the game's mechanics and themes. I get that some people might want to leisurely explore these beautifully crafted worlds but that's just not what these games are about. You don't go to a horror movie and then complain when you get scared.

This is just such a weird mentality that people often apply to the Souls games. Most games don't offer ways of completely negating the intended experience.
Not to mention that you can easily farm exp points and gold early on....taking the penalty away would make the game bad.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Devil May Cry is for a specific audience too.

And yet.
eEVoKDLSiuR0gw8ogNmQ0blAiEu6czQdeZ77lm_ybEnchzIffEKt1qEp1KDSBefr6UiEHk1nKTR5K0a5tShggBt2aBSr6pLQosbhFFZKHLqAqqoRx6b7NA306-ftNQR2azplpKMI

And amazingly, this did not in fact ruin the DMC series.
Bayonetta too with their touch mode and other stuff. PlatinumGames has also been pretty responsive to accessibility. Like when Halfcoordinated played through Transformers during a GDQ, they took what he said to heart about some things like button configuration, etc., and implemented all that in their next game, Nier Automata.

Last edited:

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
No worries, figured it was something like that. Sorry if I came off as aggressive.

My whole point with the use of the disability argument comes from my confusion with what exactly the restriction comes from. What part of Sekiro makes the game inaccessible to people with specific disabilities? If it's the difficulty, why aren't other similarly "difficult" games under similar fire? I would love to be pointed towards some of the original sources in order to understand.

And this is just weak bullsh*t. My entire argument revolves around how successful From have been with their difficulty formula and how they are under ZERO obligation to change it. Their entire game catalog revolves around this formula and changing it would throw their whole game design philosophy out the window.

IF, somehow, they are able to add difficulty settings in the future to address these concerns, I have full faith that they would find a way to do it that would satisfy everyone, but most importantly, would keep Miyazaki's difficult-but-fair ethos intact. I also predict it won't be as simple as some here claim it should be. And I would be first in line to applaud them and would be there day 0 regardless.

What I'm saying is other difficult genres has come under fire. The Dark series is just the most popular one around here since it's a ResetEra darling. This type of discussions have been a thing in SRPGs, fighting games, Monster Hunter, ect for years.

Jonathan Lanza

Feb 8, 2019
Finally, even if I'm wrong and Sekiro would be a good game even if it was easy, there are entire genres of games for which difficulty and a massive barrier of entry are defining traits. I am a big fan of the Tetris the Grandmaster series. The third game in that series is so difficult that it might as well be impossible; the number of people who have beaten it is in the single digits despite there being a decent size community of players who have been trying for the past fourteen years. Indeed, it's probably true that most of the people who play the game are fundamentally, physically incapable of playing Tetris at the speed required to play the game to completion. TGM's intrigue (not to mention fanbase) would disappear overnight if the games were easier to beat. TGM3's legacy is entirely tied to the absurdity of the requirements and the level of accomplishment it takes to overcome them. Why is there no concern about the accessibility of this game? Is it a sales thing? Could it be that the real problem is that people don't like the idea of a AAA they can't beat?
Holy smokes, we have covered this already.
If you suggested modifiers for Tetris you would get next to no reaction from anyone.

If you suggest it for a From game then all bets are off. The discussion comes up with From because it has a fan base that is very vocal about their disapproval of these options as there is an oppressive gatekeeper culture that surrounds the company.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So? If the argument is about accessibility, then why should any game be designed in such a way that limits accessibility?
Because there are plenty of games with the same basic gameplay and aesthetic of Tetris. If you want an alternative it's there and your experience is not vastly different outside of the level of challenge.

There is no "casual Souls." I love Bloodbornes aesthetic, but I'm shit out of luck because I couldn't even make it past the opening so just fuck me I guess.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
So? If the argument is about accessibility, then why should any game be designed in such a way that limits accessibility?
I'm just answering the question you asked. The reason people don't complain about the game you speak of is likely because they have the option to play other Tetris games that are not so brutally challenging.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
And how the fuck do you know you are being empathetic against all those who are disabled and love the FromSoftware games exactly the way they are. Once again you talk as if you know what they want and using examples that have nothing to do with FromSoftware games as a scapegoat.

And while you have every right to tell FromSoftware what you don't like stop talking as if you are speaking also for every disabled person when in reality you don't know one bit of what they think about their games and using their voices.

I am glad also FromSoftware have just as much right as you to call them out to completely ignore you.

End of conversation for real this time

Because again, you don't need to know disabled people to know that there is severe lack of options and people are willing to defend these lack of options under 'artist creativity' or 'some disabled people can play'.

Yeah, good for From and it saves me money since I don't have buy anything from them. So we both come out ahead.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Holy smokes, we have covered this already.
If you suggested modifiers for Tetris you would get next to no reaction from anyone.

If you suggest it for a From game then all bets are off. The discussion comes up with From because it has a fan base that is very vocal about their disapproval of these options as there is an oppressive gatekeeper culture that surrounds the company.
It's not just about From games. When this comes up in other contexts (like in fighting games, where the idea of making them easier is very controversial) there's resistance.

Because there are plenty of games with the same basic gameplay and aesthetic of Tetris. If you want an alternative it's there and your experience is not vastly different outside of the level of challenge.

There is no "casual Souls." I love Bloodbornes aesthetic, but I'm shit out of luck because I couldn't even make it past the opening so just fuck me I guess.
There's no casual Souls because the idea is incoherent. The gameplay doesn't work unless it's hard. I don't share the opposition to the idea that some others have to a "story mode" difficulty where playing the game is trivial and you just play through the plot, but I find the idea of holding developers' feet to the fire if they don't implement anything in between pretty strange because you're taking away the main thing that makes the game work.

I'm just answering the question you asked. The reason people don't complain about the game you speak of is likely because they have the option to play other Tetris games that are not so brutally challenging.
Sure - I don't really think that's true because TGM isn't just fast Tetris, but okay. My point was that there are games where the gameplay is explicitly pegged on difficulty and that even if you could make the argument that Sekiro isn't, there'd still be hundreds of other games that are, so it doesn't really mean much to say "we can make easy Sekiro work".

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It should be clear by now that the conflation of accessability options like font size, etc and difficulty modes is intentional.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It should be clear by now that the conflation of accessability options like font size, etc and difficulty modes is intentional.
Acessibility in games is more than just those. Accessibility has been doing more to now have gameplay options so that those with disibilities and impairments can play these games too. You'd have to be ignoring just about every conversation about accessibility and what companies have been doing regarding player input and interaction.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

I do not accept that "people are just going to take the easy way out". That didn't happen for Celeste, it doesn't happen for bowling, it doesn't happen for anything where people enjoy a challenge. And I'm tired of people telling me they don't want other people to have options and enjoy the game because they think THEIR weak asses are gonna pick the easier option.

To add to this point, studies have shown that people would rather play and quit playing the higher difficulty setting than lower the difficulty. Which is why many games called their Easy setting 'Normal' these days and Hard is really Normal.

Humans are competitive creatures. Few will admit that they beat anything on Easy, especially video games where beating a hard game on the highest difficulty is being compared here to running a marathon.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feel like this should be added. Thing about difficulty modes like an easy mode is that it's more of a first step and more blunt since it's, as I said earlier in the thread, often a bundle of accessibility features rolled into a single mode.

Offering a simple choice of difficulty is a fairly blunt but still good first step in accessibility, allowing some flexibility in the main challenge involved, such as level of AI, speed of enemies or difficulty of puzzles. This can be taken further by offering more detailed options for individual elements of game difficulty.

Allow as wide a choice as possible, at both ends of the scale, and avoid giving demeaning names for lower levels or or mocking players who use them. Bear in mind that difficulty is about allowing people with different levels of ability the same level of experience, even the easiest setting you can possibly implement will present a significant challenge for some.

Yes, easy mode is also an accessibility option. But if some games don't want to do multiple difficulties for whatever reasons, there's still a lot options to help assist players.

Jonathan Lanza

Feb 8, 2019
It's not just about From games. When this comes up in other contexts (like in fighting games, where the idea of making them easier is very controversial) there's resistance.
Not really actually.
The resistance only comes from people who are well into fighting games which is an incredibly tiny minority. Even in that you will have FGC vets like Spooky and LordKnight who are perfectly fine with lenient inputs and reduced move sets.

Otherwise a majority of people when talking about fighting games are largely for accessibility options like input shortcuts and less emphasis on Deadly Raves.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Souls fans would have you believe the only thing Souls games have going for them is difficulty.

quick edit: I have completed and loved all Souls games since Demons came out, but the gatekeeping hidden behind artistic integrity is the worst thing about this fanbase.
What? Any Souls fan will tell you that these games are not difficult, but have a steep learning curve that mostly anyone can master if willing to invest enough time.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018

What about Bloodborne was so difficult for you to grasp?

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
You are misunderstanding. When I say the philosophy is not based in reality what I mean is that the idea of a singular shared experience isn't an actual thing and this is evident by the fact that this...

....is untrue.
People who play the whole game offline have experienced the game completely differently from people who played it all online.
People who have looked up guides and know where the big fire breathing dragon is what he's gonna do experience that part of the game differently from people who were not aware of it.
People have fight the Taurus Demon have experienced the fight completely differently from people who had the fucker fall off the bridge and kill himself.
And of course, people who have an easy time with the game experience the game completely differently from people who have a hard time with the game. Let's not act as if the latter people don't exist.

People have long since been experiencing parts of these games and even the entire games completely differently from everyone else. People will experience the same thing completely differently, they may see things you don't see, or enjoy things differently then you. It's BECAUSE people experience things differently that there are people who play these games for a variety of reasons. That's not a video game thing, that's a fact of life. The philosophy isn't grounded in reality because it doesn't really happen. People have different experience. No doubt you're going to find people who experienced the same things you did but that doesn't mean everyone or even a majority did.

And the game's are still great! And people still love them even if the philosophy hasn't really been achieved. And if that is the case then it's hard to see any downsides to modifiers as people are already experiencing the games radically differently from eachother and still having a good time. The only potential downside is as you said the possibility that Miyazaki is personally miffed by the fact that people play his game differently then he intended but I do not think that should be any cause for distress.

I would also note that you can build a strong community based on sharing your own experience with others and seeing how others did things differently from you. The most popular recent example of this is Breath of the Wild. Everyone have the same end goal, but how you get there varies between people. Like me and my brother had long discussions on how we tackled situations m differently and sharing notes on the crazy stuff you can do in the game.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Games should be designed with accessibility in mind so that anyone can play them.

However, not every game will inevitably be for everyone, even those willing to try them. I learned the hard way that Bloodborne (and by extension, other From Software games of its ilk) are simply not for me. I banged my head against it, making little to no progress until I finally gave up. There are other games and other genres that I enjoy more and am more willing to be patient with. I would not ask From to bend over backwards to please players like myself, who tried Bloodborne, bounced off of it hard, and gave up.

What I would ask of From is to be accommodating in their accessibility options so that more players can get at least to the point I did. (i.e.: Beyond the tutorial fight, and then five hours of banging my head on a wall before calling it.) If the game is too difficult for you to adapt to, then yeah, tough luck. But the game should be adaptive enough to at least give you the chance to play, even if you're going to hate every minute of your life on Earth as you do.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
We don't want to include a difficulty selection because we want to bring everyone to the same level of discussion and the same level of enjoyment," Miyazaki said. "So we want everyone … to first face that challenge and to overcome it in some way that suits them as a player."
To bring everyone on the same level, they could start by making all versions of the game locked at 60 fps with equal latency. The console version is a fucking travesty compared to PC version with variable framerate and additional lag. I thought it was fine until I switched to PC version and it was a revelation, not a single missed parry in 20+ hours on PC version. Its like playing on easy mode compared to PS4.