• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
It's still troubling for many of us who get maybe 2-3 hours a day to ply games to progress all of 0 checkpoints becuz it's too hard. I like DS3 though where I can summon folks

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
That was an accidental, honesty. My phone was acting up.

I wouldn't know since I don't follow the Dark series. My point was that your post implied that only From got criticism for the lack of options and inclusion, when people have made this complaint with other genre with fighting games being the most famous and probably oldest example.

Smash was partly made to crater to people who like fighting games, but lack the time, experience, or the ability to play them. And over the last decade, fighting games have become more inclusive and beginning friendly when it was the original 'git gud' genre. Yeah, fighting games still requires a lot of skill and people will always suck at them, but being more inclusive and trying to help the less skill and disabled didn't hurt the genre. And fighting games are hard to balance since it's competitive and not a single player experience.

Another example is Monster Hunter. People begged for years to make that series more inclusive and Capcom finally did it with Monster Hunter World by making just a few QOL adjustments. They didn't even need to add difficulty settings. Granted, some do think World is too easy, but it got people into the series that just couldn't before.
No worries, figured it was something like that. Sorry if I came off as aggressive.

My whole point with the use of the disability argument comes from my confusion with what exactly the restriction comes from. What part of Sekiro makes the game inaccessible to people with specific disabilities? If it's the difficulty, why aren't other similarly "difficult" games under similar fire? I would love to be pointed towards some of the original sources in order to understand.

yes because some are trying to gatekeep for no reason. There's things that can be done but some refuse to listen and would rather pretend they are superior.

i haven't seen these so kind of valid reasons but I have seen plenty of dismissing of accessibility for no reasons.
And this is just weak bullsh*t. My entire argument revolves around how successful From have been with their difficulty formula and how they are under ZERO obligation to change it. Their entire game catalog revolves around this formula and changing it would throw their whole game design philosophy out the window.

IF, somehow, they are able to add difficulty settings in the future to address these concerns, I have full faith that they would find a way to do it that would satisfy everyone, but most importantly, would keep Miyazaki's difficult-but-fair ethos intact. I also predict it won't be as simple as some here claim it should be. And I would be first in line to applaud them and would be there day 0 regardless.

jayvo

Oct 27, 2017
See, the difficulty is why I will always buy From Software games on PC; so that I can use a trainer. I simply don't have the time or patience to 'get good' with these games. However, the lore and atmosphere attracts me. So while they're available on PC, I will always use a trainer.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Nothing wrong with adding more difficulty options to games. But in a year filled with games that suffer due to their absence of any difficulty whatsoever (pokemon, bloodstained, fire emblem, outer worlds) sekiro was nice.

ThatPersonGuy

Dec 30, 2018
The whole "accessibility" part feels like a huge buzzword that's distracting from the actual conversation. "Games should have accessibility options" and "Games should have variable difficulty settings" are two incredibly different arguments, and the first plays on some deeply rooted ideals and Important Conversations in ways that kinda reek of bullshit. "Everybody should be able to play" and "Everybody should be able to beat the game without having to throw themselves at the wall so much" are two completely different lines of thought.

To say that younger players and players with disabilities should be able to play every/any video game is a no brainer, and it's important that games continue to push for design that increases that accessibility.

"This game is too hard, why does it have to be so hard?" is not an argument for accessibility, it's an argument for lowered difficulty, and it's honestly one I really can't argue for. Yes, these games could be easier. But they have no requirement to be that way, anymore than a JRPG has a requirement to drop turn based combat or a console based first person shooter a requirement to add scoping options. "But you can and people want you to" isn't a sufficient argument for "all super hard games should have easier difficulty levels". It's not a matter of elitism it's a matter of having a target audience, and not having a reason nor desire to grow it. "But I can enjoy it for another reason" yeah and I like Weezer's melodies and hate their lyrics, that doesn't mean that Rivers Coumo has a moral obligation to make albums that aren't about pretending to be an awkward angsty 15 year old band geek at the age of 50.

The only reason this is even like, a debate is because this whole meme turned into a whole hearings on the morality of "hard mode", and that's only a thing because Gamers use difficulty as a dick measuring contest, which makes people who like hard games look like cocky douchebags and people who don't look like insecure weaklings, and both sides resent the other for that perception.

Dec 8, 2018
It's not unique to gaming, but gaming is the only media I know that can get away with a lack of disabled options and people will defend it. Text too small for you to read, get glasses. Color blind, too bad. Got motion sickness because of the way a VR game is designed, game not for you or get used to it. Want to remap you're controls, you will used what the creator gives you and like it.Hearing impaired, sorry you just can't play certain games. I mean, most games don't even support controllers that can help them.

You don't need to know a disable person to know games need more options. That's called having empathy.

From can do whatever the hell they want. Doesn't mean they can't be called out on it when we have hard games that push players, while still given options so the disabled or the less skill can have a chance to enjoy their game too. This isn't a either or.

And how the fuck do you know you are being empathetic against all those who are disabled and love the FromSoftware games exactly the way they are. Once again you talk as if you know what they want and using examples that have nothing to do with FromSoftware games as a scapegoat.

And while you have every right to tell FromSoftware what you don't like stop talking as if you are speaking also for every disabled person when in reality you don't know one bit of what they think about their games and using their voices.

I am glad also FromSoftware have just as much right as you to call them out to completely ignore you.

End of conversation for real this time

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
The whole "accessibility" part feels like a huge buzzword that's distracting from the actual conversation. "Games should have accessibility options" and "Games should have variable difficulty settings" are two incredibly different arguments, and the first plays on some deeply rooted ideals and Important Conversations in ways that kinda reek of bullshit. "Everybody should be able to play" and "Everybody should be able to beat the game without having to throw themselves at the wall so much" are two completely different lines of thought.

To say that younger players and players with disabilities should be able to play every/any video game is a no brainer, and it's important that games continue to push for design that increases that accessibility.

"This game is too hard, why does it have to be so hard?" is not an argument for accessibility, it's an argument for lowered difficulty, and it's honestly one I really can't argue for. Yes, these games could be easier. But they have no requirement to be that way, anymore than a JRPG has a requirement to drop turn based combat or a console based first person shooter a requirement to add scoping options. "But you can and people want you to" isn't a sufficient argument for "all super hard games should have easier difficulty levels". It's not a matter of elitism it's a matter of having a target audience, and not having a reason nor desire to grow it. "But I can enjoy it for another reason" yeah and I like Weezer's melodies and hate their lyrics, that doesn't mean that Rivers Coumo has a moral obligation to make albums that aren't about pretending to be an awkward angsty 15 year old band geek at the age of 50.

The only reason this is even like, a debate is because this whole meme turned into a whole hearings on the morality of "hard mode", and that's only a thing because Gamers use difficulty as a dick measuring contest, which makes people who like hard games look like cocky douchebags and people who don't look like insecure weaklings, and both sides resent the other for that perception.
Agreed, and thank you for summarizing something I was struggling to express.

I'd be surprised if someone hadn't already tried to split up difficulty and accesibilty at this point. I'm sure we've gone in a circles a few times by now.

ThatPersonGuy

Dec 30, 2018
Agreed, and thank you for summarizing something I was struggling to express.

I'd be surprised if someone hadn't already tried to split up difficulty and accesibilty at this point. I'm sure we've gone in a circles a few times by now.
It's just all so obnoxious because like, I absolutely sympathize with "I like these From Software games a lot, they have great writing, great game design, cool atmosphere and storytelling and some world class music... but they're super difficult and I don't like that kind of gameplay", but that the most common response to that is "From Software games should add options to make the game less difficult" and not "I want more game developers that take the best parts of From Games without the huge difficulty curve, hey do you guys know of any?" is really disheartening. Honestly I don't even think there's something wrong in wanting From games to be easier, but it's not a question of "right vs. wrong", it's just another fan requests in the huge, overwhelming sea of fan requests that doesn't get special priority hitching itself onto a conversation about accessibility and disability in society.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
At the end of the day it comes down to why someone plays video games and how much time and effort someone is willing to put in to a video game. I don't understand people who love dying 474939 times and sweating and using a ton of energy on one game. Never have, never will. Real life is hard enough.

My argument is that there's so much more to the games than the difficulty, and I said that I think Miyazaki is an idiot and selling himself short by sticking to the high difficulty. I've been playing DS2 and I enjoy most things about the game aside from the difficulty. I do think that it's mostly fair, and I've been able to basically comfortably spam spells from a distance with most bosses. If I die in an area too many times, eventually the enemies will become extinct and the run to the next bonfire will get easier and easier. A lot of things are insanely obtuse, but I'm playing offline so I'm sure a lot of helpful hints are lost to me.

But from what it sounds like, Sekiro allows only one type of playstyle, and if it's not your thing, you're screwed. You can't get through to the end sorry. I don't agree with that, at all. Like there isn't even a demo to try out and see if it's your thing. And I think that's dumb of Miyazaki. If you want to stick to one difficulty level, I get it, but at least provide options to players so they can get around things! Maybe some players don't enjoy dying 473929293 times and don't want to pour all their energy into a game that requires fast reflexes, but enjoy other aspects of the game.

One thing's for sure though: penalty upon death needs to fucking go. The games are all about exploration and verticality, and it's bad enough that there's traps and super tough enemies and gangs of enemies hiding in shadows everywhere, but you also want to punish the player by taking away their experience upon death? Yeah that totally encourages me to explore... I don't see anything gained from that unless you view annoying the player as a positive. This is why I view Miyazaki's "I don't care about making games difficult" comment as, quite frankly, mostly horseshit.

And yes, I should refrain from attacking the other side's character, even though I view it as gatekeeping.
First of all thanks for the elaborate response!

Sure, different people play different videogames for different reasons. The thing is, some people love dying to a boss 30 or 50 times until they finally beat it. Those are the people this series got big with.
These things are finely tuned and honestly, personally I prefer that over a game with 5 difficulty options that all suck balancing wise. Some people tried to bring up Fallen Order as a good example, and it just isn't. And don't get me wrong, I love me some easy games. Tomorrow I'll start a playthrough of one of my favourite games ever, Okami, with my girlfriend who plays nothing but Animal Crossing and Sims.

DS2 is by the way the worst offender with cheap moments where you just go "seriously?" out of all of these games.
I fully agree these games are so much more. In fact, most people do. Just look at the Elden Ring announcement thread and take a look at how much difficulty is talked about compared to literally everything else.

A lot of games only allow one playstyle. If it's not your thing to jump around with Mario in one of the 3D platformers, you won't enjoy that game. This dying to bosses is an integral part of his game design philosphy, so saying he should accomodate for people not enjoying what he creates is just weird. He doesn't want to provide people with options to circumvent the challenge he carefully crafts with each and every frame of attack animation, hitboxes, and whatever else comes with designing a compelling moveset for a boss.
And it's just fact that their bosses are better than 95% of bosses out there. Which also comes back to only having to balance for one difficulty.

Taking things away when you die doesn't necessarily encourage you to explore, but it adds to the well known tension and atmosphere when you are in the middle of doing said exploring. That's part of the whole game's appeal for many people. Always contemplating whether to push on with all your stuff and risk of losing it or go back and having to fight most of the stuff again is also part of their core design. There's no other game where I sigh in relief after finding a checkpoint as much as in these games.
Well not that much in Sekiro though. In that game you can circumvent 90% of all enemies if you want to lol.

I'll provide some other reasoning here though:

One of the main reasons for why people don't want this approach to change is because the entire series got big that way. The community grew fast and large because everyone faced the same struggles in game. Everyone knew exactly what everyone else was dealing with. Together with being able to summon other players to help you out, it created a sense of companionship that makes for a really great and helpful community.

So saying people are only advocating for it for their e-peen and out of spite for people not as good as them at videogames is pretty misguided.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Because I am right and that comment proves it or you would have said something productive.

Yes I'm sure some folks honestly believe they gained something more positive by playing video games for thousands and thousands of hours as opposed those folks that had to do physically grueling training to make up for the fact they have a disability and need put more effort than a person without.

Not sure why you think that makes you right, but whatever. Sounds like a bad faith argument.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
yes because some are trying to gatekeep for no reason. There's things that can be done but some refuse to listen and would rather pretend they are superior.
i haven't seen these so kind of valid reasons but I have seen plenty of dismissing of accessibility for no reasons.
That's funny because I find posts like these to be the ones who just "refuse to listen" and who invent motivations with regards to others.

Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean they have their opinions "for no reasons". Plenty of reasons have been given. It's OK to disagree, but let's not attribute motives such as "pretending to be superior" when no one (except maybe a troll or two) said that.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro is like a escape room puzzle. There are people who like a good puzzle challenge and willing to spent time and effort to go through it. Then you have another kind of people that ask why can't they have a option to just pick lock the door and escape it.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you have read this thread and haven't seen any reasons for it, then you should check your Cyclops goggles. Or is it because you're...dismissing them?
I've read and responded but again you are exactly what I'm talking about. Your posts in this thread have shown that you want to hold it over because your happy with the options they give instead of improving accessibility including difficult.
That's funny because I find posts like these to be the ones who just "refuse to listen" and who invent motivations with regards to others.

Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean they have their opinions "for no reasons". Plenty of reasons have been given. It's OK to disagree, but let's not attribute motives such as "pretending to be superior" when no one (except maybe a troll or two) said that.
we have had this conversation multiple times and it always boils down to one group refusing to think that from games could have multiple accessibility options including difficulty and down playing the complaints. I enjoy playing from games but they would be just as good with more options and there have been plenty of good suggestions.

If from never does it than fine but they are not immune from criticism with this and that's one of the things that seems to be ignored.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want them to add any difficulty options because I'm selfish.
I see them trying to do that as a risk. they could knock it out of the park and make a great easier mode, but they could also fuck it up horribly and ruin a good game because of it. I don't want them to take that risk at all.

We don't get many games designed like this, so people who want these types of games don't have much options, well people who want easier games have a shit ton of games to choose from.

I don't have any faith From Software is competent enough to make it work.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Myself and others have talked about why this isn't really the case elsewhere in the thread.

Feel free to disagree, but there are plenty of people who do think it hurts their experience to have difficulty settings.
At least in regards to souls games, people have made cogent arguments for why difficulty settings would hurt their experience. People just continue to talk over it. With regards to sekiro, this would be a much easier game to create difficulty settings for without hurting anyone's experience. Thats not the case with Dark souls however.

It's still troubling for many of us who get maybe 2-3 hours a day to ply games to progress all of 0 checkpoints becuz it's too hard. I like DS3 though where I can summon folks
No one should be making games under the pretense of if someone has a job. 90% of the people here have jobs (some of us hae more than one). Video gaming is a hobby. And even then I'm not sue why you think its troubling to only play these games 2-3 hours a day. Thats an incredible amount of time.

Mattiator

Oct 25, 2017
I have platinumed demon souls. Platinumed and fully gamer scored dark souls 1 and 2. Finished dark souls 3 and sekiro. Also platinumed Bloodborne. However, I think there should be options for more accessibility, I find as I am getting older my reflexes are not as sharp and with kids my time is more limited, so it is harder for me to dedicate the time and having an easier version would be awesome. For people saying it could ruin the game, what is the reasoning for this?

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
I don't want them to add any difficulty options because I'm selfish.
I see them trying to do that as a risk. they could knock it out of the park and make a great easier mode, but they could also fuck it up horribly and ruin a good game because of it. I don't want them to take that risk at all.

We don't get many games designed like this, so people who want these types of games don't have much options, well people who want easier games have a shit ton of games to choose from.

I don't have any faith From Software is competent enough to make it work.
There are some games that aren't even fully subtitled. Accessibility options is nowhere near as abundant as you seem to think they are.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've read and responded but again you are exactly what I'm talking about. Your posts in this thread have shown that you want to hold it over because your happy with the options they give instead of improving accessibility including difficult.
So you think I hold these opinions because I "want to feel superior" and for "no reasons", and not because of the reasons I actually gave in my posts? Like, what even is this? If Miyazaki decided tomorrow Elden Ring needs an easy difficulty, I wouldn't have anything against it. But I'm not the one telling a dev who develops games a certain way since a decade+ to chance their design philosophy and people who like that specific philosphy how they want to feel superior, are assholes, gatekeepers, elitists or even ableist.

Also can you stop lumping in difficulty with other accesibility options? Because absolutely noone is arguing against those.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I thought the whole Sekiro controversy was not about the difficulty, but Miyazaki's sorta ableist speech from the very beginning.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We don't want to include a difficulty selection because we want to bring everyone to the same level of discussion and the same level of enjoyment," Miyazaki said. "So we want everyone … to first face that challenge and to overcome it in some way that suits them as a player."
That's... a perfectly fine design philosphy?
All this shows me is that they understand how their games got this big and why they had such an impact on the industry.
"Ableist speech", really?
And more importantly, please show me all these games that can be completed by everyone, because somehow Fromsoft is the only dev on this planet worthy of criticism regarding accesibilty.

Jonathan Lanza

Feb 8, 2019
All this shows me is that they understand how their games got this big and why they had such an impact on the industry.
And more importantly, please show me all these games that can be completed by everyone, because somehow Fromsoft is the only dev on this planet worthy of criticism regarding accesibilty.
Tons of games get criticized for it. There was a huge thread about the lack of font size options in games. From is just the only one that has a fan base that is especially against them said options.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tons of games get criticized for it. There was a huge thread about the lack of font size options in games. From is just the only one that has a fan base that is especially against them said options.
There is a difference between wanting text size options, colour blind options and so on, and wanting a dev to add multiple difficulties to a game that had it's whole niche carved by only providing one difficulty. Nobody is against the former, acting like anyone here is is really fucking disingenuous.

And yes, these games have more going for it than difficulty. But that quote I responded to shows they know exactly why their games became that popular in the first place. People demanding them to abandon that and acting like they know better than the devs is hilarious and sad at the same time.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah we had a thread awhile ago but the distinction between accessibility and difficulty and I don't recall any souls fans being against the former.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. They're intrinsically linked; there is no hard line of "well this person has a ADA-recognized mental disability" or "age 16 is when you are old enough to handle a game of this difficulty".

When I say games should be accessible, I mean they should be accessible to anyone who wants to play them and have fun. For instance, some people have slow reaction time. Like, physically, using a test that just flashes the color red and asks the person to hit a button as fast as they can. This is *not a disability* in any normally recognized sense of the word, but for the purposes of Sekiro, it might as well be the same as someone with poor motor function in their hand, or whatever. Others don't have the specific types of intelligence that lets them focus on a wide number of things at once, or spatial reasoning, or whatever. Brains are complex and it's not anyone's fault if they're just baseline worse than others.

The point of accessibility to let people who ordinarily couldn't experience the game the way it was originally designed (for a very specific band of skill level; if you're above that band or below it, you're not getting the stated purpose of "overcoming great hardship and then succeeding") enjoy it anyway. And while there are game and situations where adding in difficulty settings means a *wild* amount of work, a twitch game is not one of them; Matt Thorson managed to add in Assist Mode at the last goddamn second and he either did it himself or with maybe one other engineer.

Every argument saying From Software *can't* add difficulty settings without compromising the core, original experience is disingenuous nonsense. Any argument saying they don't want to is fine, but I do think it limits their audience unnecessarily.

Last edited:

Mattiator

Oct 25, 2017
There is a difference between wanting text size options, colour blind options and so on, and wanting a dev to add multiple difficulties to a game that had it's whole niche carved by only providing one difficulty. Nobody is against the former, acting like anyone here is is really fucking disingenuous.

And yes, these games have more going for it than difficulty. But that quote I responded to shows they know exactly why their games became that popular in the first place.

Shit noone I know plays them for the difficulty, me included. I know.many who have quit because of the difficulty. I like the weighted feel of the strikes, enemy and world design. Music and the combat is amazing. I am a die hard fan but options would not harm this game in my opinion. If you need to be validated by playing something difficult you can do that in most games on the hardest difficulty.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I've yet to see someone make a good business case for why From would deviate from what they are doing. They've carved out a nice size niche making difficult games with amazing atmosphere, and abandoning that identity is no guarantee of continued success. Most developers would likely kill to have such a strong identity that resonates with gamers and garners the sales numbers From does.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I disagree. They're intrinsically linked; there is no hard line of "well this person has a ADA-recognized mental disability" or "age 16 is when you are old enough to handle a game of this difficulty".

When I say games should be accessible, I mean they should be accessible to anyone who wants to play them and have fun. For instance, some people have slow reaction time. Like, physically, using a test that just flashes the color red and asks the person to hit a button as fast as they can. This is *not a disability* in any normally recognized sense of the word, but for the purposes of Sekiro, it might as well be the same as someone with poor motor function in their hand, or whatever. Others don't have the specific types of intelligence that lets them focus on a wide number of things at once, or spatial reasoning, or whatever. Brains are complex and it's not anyone's fault if they're just baseline worse than others.

The point of accessibility to let people who ordinarily couldn't experience the game the way it was designed (for a very specific band of skill level; if you're above that band or below it, you're not getting the stated purpose of "overcoming great hardship and then succeeding") enjoy it anyway. And while there are game and situations where changing the difficulty means a *wild* amount of work, a twitch game is not one of them; Matt Thorson managed to add in Assist Mode at the LAST GODDAMN SECOND andhe either did it himself or with maybe one other engineer.

Every argument saying From Software *can't* add difficulty settings without compromising the core, original experience are disingenuous nonsense. Any argument saying they don't want to is fine, but I do think it limits their audience.
This is such bullshit and is exactly the kind of "talking over" points that continue to muck up the conversation which ignores all of the well reasoned arguments for why adding difficulty setting would indeed compromise core experiences of the game. Whether or not you think its worthwhile to change those aspects is a different conversation but saying any argument that lays out why this would interfere with the core experience with the game as being disingenuous is, well, disingenuous.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Shit noone I know plays them for the difficulty, me included. I know.many who have quit because of the difficulty. I like the weighted feel of the strikes, enemy and world design. Music and the combat is amazing. I am a die hard fan but options would not harm this game in my opinion. If you need to be validated by playing something difficult you can do that in most games on the hardest difficulty.
Their entire success is based on it. Their entire community is based on the fact that everyone had to face the same challenges in the game, the fact that you could summon someone whenever you wanted instead of not being able to because they played on a different difficulty.
The dev himself states this: "We don't want to include a difficulty selection because we want to bring everyone to the same level of discussion and the same level of enjoyment," Miyazaki said. "So we want everyone … to first face that challenge and to overcome it in some way that suits them as a player."

Why do you think you know better if it would do harm or not than the people making the game? This isn't about some game mechanic that could be improved, this is about the game itself, about how they approach their game design.

Nobody is talking about being validated. It doesn't even matter that much how hard these games actually are. What matters to the dev and a lot of players is that there is only one.

Most games on the hardest difficulty are inbalanced, unfun messes, because no dev has the time and resources to actually balance 5 different difficulties.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I said "sorta" because it was not intentionally discriminating, but there was some discrepancy and misunderstanding in what people were really asking for in all the "accessibility" arguments earlier this year. The quote I found is from 2018, but I remember he said something similar as a response to the accessibility criticisms after Sekiro was out.
It is OK to defend a game with "it's not for everyone" argument, but when the director has to bring up everyone while it's surely not, that... is a problem.

But the From community's response was way more toxic. Artistic vision my ass.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is such bullshit and is exactly the kind of "talking over" points that continue to muck up the conversation which ignores all of the well reasoned arguments for why adding difficulty setting would indeed compromise core experiences of the game. Whether or not you think its worthwhile to change those aspects is a different conversation but saying any argument that lays out why this would interfere with the core experience with the game as being disingenuous is, well, disingenuous.
There are no well-reasoned arguments for why adding a difficulty setting would compromise core experiences of the game, because the core experience of the game would be untouched. If the player "can't resist", that's their problem, not the developer's. This is, again, like arguing against the existence of bumpers in bowling lanes because you don't think you'd be able to resist using them.

Celeste has already shown that adding in those functions doesn't in any capacity ruin the game's natural challenge for players who enjoy it.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There are no well-reasoned arguments for why adding a difficulty setting would compromise core experiences of the game, because the core experience of the game would be untouched. If the player "can't resist", that's their problem, not the developer's. This is, again, like arguing against the existence of bumpers in bowling lanes because you don't think you'd be able to resist using them.

Celeste has already shown that adding in those functions doesn't in any capacity ruin the game's natural challenge for players who enjoy it.
I'm not going to bother arguing with someone who clearly either hasn't read the arguments for why the core experience would be different or if youre just being one of those disingenuous posters who pretend they werent made but a game that has an always online mode that effects other players and the core experience would in fact be altered. Whether or not you think it matters that that would be effected with the difficulty selection is besides the argument being made that nothing would change from it.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to bother arguing with someone who clearly either hasn't read the arguments for why the core experience would be different or if youre just being one of those disingenuous posters who pretend they werent made but a game that has an always online mode that effects other players and the core experience would in fact be altered. Whether or not you think it matters that that would be effected with the difficulty selection is besides the argument being made that nothing would change from it.
Darn, you could have really educated me and these poor other shmucks who know nothing about game design and haven't *personally* done difficulty balancing on numerous titles!

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I said "sorta" because it was not intentionally discriminating, but there was some discrepancy and misunderstanding in what people were really asking for in all the "accessibility" arguments earlier this year. The quote I found is from 2018, but I remember he said something similar as a response to the accessibility criticisms after Sekiro was out.
It is OK to defend a game with "it's not for everyone" argument, but when the director has to bring up everyone while it's surely not, that... is a problem.

But the From community's response was way more toxic. Artistic vision my ass.
So because he brings it up and every other dev under the sun just...doesn't, makes this game more ripe for criticsm?
Someone here asked if you would tell every artists who paints that they have to include a second set of their work that is made for people with colorblindness. Obviously you wouldn't. Obviously you also wouldn't think artists who don't do that are being "sorta" ableist. Even artists who openly would say they won't do it because it's too much work and goes against their creative process wouldn't be ableist because of it. At least not any more or less thant he ones that just don't talk about it.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Darn, you could have really educated me and these poor other shmucks who know nothing about game design and haven't *personally* done difficulty balancing on numerous titles!
If you think that makes you an authrority to come in with disingenuous arguments all the more power to you. Just don't be shocked when you get called for it.

Jonathan Lanza

Feb 8, 2019

And yes, these games have more going for it than difficulty. But that quote I responded to shows they know exactly why their games became that popular in the first place. People demanding them to abandon that and acting like they know better than the devs is hilarious and sad at the same time.
-Attacks that deleveled you
-Enemies getting stronger when you die
-Spawning stronger enemies when you die
-Grinding for health items

These are things from Demon Souls that were all but removed when Dark Souls (their most popular game) came out. And judging by how well Dark Souls is received by everyone I would say people appreciated these changes and more people got to play the game because of them.

That's the thing people keep forgetting. From has ALREADY shown that they are willing to abandon and add certain difficulty concepts for the sake of appealing to different people with different tastes.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If you think that makes you an authrority to come in with disingenuous arguments all the more power to you. Just don't be shocked when you get called for it.
If you're gonna try calling me out, try to actually make an argument so I can (easily) rebut them. Otherwise, keep it to yourself.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
-Attacks that deleveled you
-Enemies getting stronger when you die
-Spawning stronger enemies when you die
-Grinding for health items

These are things from Demon Souls that were all but removed when Dark Souls (their most popular game) came out. And judging by how well Dark Souls is received by everyone I would say people appreciated these changes and more people got to play the game because of them.

That's the thing people keep forgetting. From has ALREADY shown that they are willing to abandon and add certain difficulty concepts for the sake of appealing to different people with different tastes.
Plenty of things change from each insteallment to the next. Do you know what always stays the same since over a decade? Exactly. Miyazaki aknowledges when he can improve on a plethora of things, and then acts on it. He very clearly stated, multiple times, that multiple difficulty settings is not one of these things, and his last 6 games or so underline that.

Mattiator

Oct 25, 2017
Their entire success is based on it. Their entire community is based on the fact that everyone had to face the same challenges in the game, the fact that you could summon someone whenever you wanted instead of not being able to because they played on a different difficulty.
The dev himself states this: "We don't want to include a difficulty selection because we want to bring everyone to the same level of discussion and the same level of enjoyment," Miyazaki said. "So we want everyone … to first face that challenge and to overcome it in some way that suits them as a player."

Why do you think you know better if it would do harm or not than the people making the game? This isn't about some game mechanic that could be improved, this is about the game itself, about how they approach their game design.

Nobody is talking about being validated. It doesn't even matter that much how hard these games actually are. What matters to the dev and a lot of players is that there is only one.

Most games on the hardest difficulty are inbalanced, unfun messes, because no dev has the time and resources to actually balance 5 different difficulties.

Are you a game designer? I am not saying I know better I am saying I personally know noone and I have been part of the cummunity and put thousands of hours into the series; however adding an easy option that went "offline" so someone could enjoy it who is not as skilled as someone as myself is not a problem in my eyes. Maybe you are too narrow minded because you seem pretty hurt about any changes on the difficulty. It's a design choice but it's not proven it is why it is successful because they have not even tried to create a game with difficulty options. Maby if they did and it flopped I would concur with you but until it does happen you are worried over absolutely nothing.