• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
That is literally not what I said. I said just because you want something a specific way for a reason does not mean the reason is a good one.
I backtracked the discussion and I'm not quite sure how else to reply to you. Does your saying:

"just because you want something a specific way for a reason does not mean the reason is a good one"

not mean EXACTLY what I originally quoted? Is that not referring to "game design decisions" in general, and in this case From's difficult, dark, punishing worlds?

Which, again, From have been executing successfully for years now...

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The whole "having to make multiple difficulty levels can result in all of them being bad" argument doesn't really work well when FromSoft could just, y'know... Make the game as they always do and then add the easier modes after the fact. They'd just have to tweak some numbers and remove some boss moves - something that I'm fairly certain already happens in Bloodborne, at least, depending on what you do.

I know an Easy/Normal/Hard option at the start of a Soulslike game wouldn't fit, but there are so many ways to have dynamic difficulty options these days.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
I backtracked the discussion and I'm not quite sure how else to reply to you. Does your saying:

"just because you want something a specific way for a reason does not mean the reason is a good one"

not mean EXACTLY what I originally quoted? Is that not referring to "game design decisions" in general, and in this case From's difficult, dark, punishing worlds?

Which, again, From have been executing successfully for years now...
It means that "From wants the game this way because of X" is just that. A reason. An explanation. It doesn't mean it's a good reason or explanation. It's a completely neutral term on its own. You'd have to go much more in depth to explain why something that specific way is a good reason as opposed to doing it another way.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
So they'd just have to, er, do more work and release with a difficulty where they just fuck with some numbers and pray it still feels good? And you think the quality of a mode where they just drop numbers and remove mechanics would match the primary difficulty without significant work? Ok.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
The whole "having to make multiple difficulty levels can result in all of them being bad" argument doesn't really work well when FromSoft could just, y'know... Make the game as they always do and then add the easier modes after the fact. They'd just have to tweak some numbers and remove some boss moves - something that I'm fairly certain already happens in Bloodborne, at least, depending on what you do.

I know an Easy/Normal/Hard option at the start of a Soulslike game wouldn't fit, but there are so many ways to have dynamic difficulty options these days.
It's especially bad argument when something like Celeste accessibility mode exists - you don't see anyone arguing the normal run of Celeste isn't perfectly balanced, but they allow options like reduced speed and extra dashes that deliberately aren't designed around "balance" for those who need it. Noones asking the entire game to be balanced around an accessibily or easy mode.

CNoodles

Banned
Mar 7, 2019
People loves to throw the phrase "the game is not for you" around here a lot but yet people always complain about Sekiro. If the game is too hard for you then forget about accessibility "the game is not for you" and it for certainly was not made for you as their intended audience. Go play God of War, as most people here think it is the second coming of video games.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
So they'd just have to, er, do more work and release with a difficulty where they just fuck with some numbers and pray it still feels good? And you think the quality of a mode where they just drop numbers and remove mechanics would match the primary difficulty without significant work? Ok.

They'd still test it to make sure it plays alright, obviously, suggesting otherwise is absurd.

And the perceived quality would vary depending on the person playing - that's the entire reason it's a choice. I personally don't like Sekiro as it is right now, and I would probably enjoy it more if they tweaked various aspects of it. If handled well and skillfully, and by all accounts FromSoft is that meticulate in all other regards, it just means more people can like the game, for different reasons. I genuinely don't see how that's a bad thing.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
It means that "From wants the game this way because of X" is just that. A reason. An explanation. It doesn't mean it's a good reason or explanation. It's a completely neutral term on its own. You'd have to go much more in depth to explain why something that specific way is a good reason as opposed to doing it another way.
OK, I'm getting it now. Allow me to ask, then: why would From shift their strategy in game difficulty if they have been successful by sticking to this formula?

Looking at it from From's perspective, I would see adding difficulty settings to their formula as a risk more than anything.

The only viable solution I see for them would be a dynamic, hidden difficulty scaler as per Rotobit's description. But even then, just having the player know there's some hidden voodoo in the background adjusting the game on the fly for them could be something From just isn't ready to deal with.

It's a huge risk for From, no matter how badly some may want it.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Hah, maybe. Of course all of this is subjective and arguable. Just as there's no evidence of From vs Respawn being the factor either. Hollow Knight wasn't made by FromSoft, after all. Maybe FromSoft is particularly skilled at balancing difficulty because they don't spread their resources thin... 🤔
What I'm getting at is if you want to get into hypotheticals and what-ifs, especially when it comes to how developers are allocating their resources (which is always what these arguments boil down to), then you would have to hypothetically compare the same game from the same developer with different approaches to difficulty. Not two different games from two different developers.

I would argue that one of the things that makes From games excellent is their ability to craft and tune the difficulty of their games. They are renowned for being generally hard but fair (with a few missteps here and there).

So what we have is a string of excellent games with a single, well-tuned difficulty. On the other hand, we have other games with multiple difficulties that, generally, aren't particularly well-tuned.

No one is arguing that having only one difficulty option will always lead to perfect balance. It's a pretty easy argument to make, however, that balancing for one set of options is easier than several, especially if a developer wants to deliver the same level of quality across the board.
But there's also other games with multiple difficulty options that are tuned well. And there's other games with single difficulty options that aren't tuned well.

Yes, it's going to be easier to create one difficulty than multiple. Creating more accessibility options is work, it's a challenge. Changing or improving a game in anyway is. That doesn't make the criticisms or suggestions any less invalid or reasonable.

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018
The point we're trying to make is that when a dev can focus on just the one setting, they can really fine-tune it and calibrate it properly. Meanwhile, you have other games that try to implement various settings, and fail at all of them. So I was not-so-jokingly saying that they maybe should stop trying and just focus on making the one singular experience.

I don't think this is true at all.

What you do is design for only one difficulty, and make that tight.
That's it.

Then you just add various mod options. "-25% damage, +25% HP", for example. Those don't have to be tight or balanced, and you can outright ignore game feel for these. That is after all the point. Make clear it's not the intended option, as Celeste did, and you're done. There are a lot of ways to do so - just call them "cheat codes"; for example.

They don't even need extra development time - this kind of thing already exists for QA. They just get arbitrarily locked off these days.

Really, games have regressed on this front. In the past, games had cheat codes that did exactly this, and I bet a lot of the the Hardcore Gamers that decry difficulty options used them themselves. The lack of proper difficulty options is probably the weakest aspect of the souls games, where they simply failed to apply the design ethos of the games they're evoking.

Jonathan Lanza

Feb 8, 2019
OK, I'm getting it now. Allow me to ask, then: why would From shift their strategy in game difficulty if they have been successful by sticking to this formula?

Looking at it from From's perspective, I would see adding difficulty settings to their formula as a risk more than anything.

The only viable solution I see for them would be a dynamic, hidden difficulty scaler as per Rotobit's description. But even then, just having the player know there's some hidden voodoo in the background adjusting the game on the fly for them could be something From just isn't ready to deal with.

What exactly is the risk? Let's say they added an option to one shot a boss when you turned the option on. What risk is being run there? Or to be more exact what risk is being run that is inherently riskier than every other design decision that any other video game has ever made? It definitely wouldn't be a programming risk as something like that is already in the game's debug mode anyway unless you genuinely think every time the playstest the game they go through every single enemy encounter.
People loves to throw the phrase "the game is not for you" around here a lot but yet people always complain about Sekiro. If the game is too hard for you then forget about accessibility "the game is not for you" and it for certainly was not made for you as their intended audience. Go play God of War, as most people here think it is the second coming of video games.
Oh for crying out loud....
WE LIKE THESE GAMES!
I ENJOY Sekiro, I played through all of it, it deserves GOTY, it's a great game. Can you really not imagine that people who like the game would want more accessibility options? The FromSoftware fan bubble is an extremely oppressive one.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017

That's it.

Then you just add various mod options. "-25% damage, +25% HP", for example. Those don't have to be tight or balanced, and you can outright ignore game feel for these. That is after all the point. Make clear it's not the intended option, as Celeste did, and you're done. There are a lot of ways to do so - just call them "cheat codes"; for example.

They don't even need extra development time - this kind of thing already exists for QA. They just get arbitrarily locked off these days.

Really, games have regressed on this front. In the past, games had cheat codes that did exactly this, and I bet a lot of the the Hardcore Gamers that decry difficulty options used them themselves. The lack of proper difficulty options is probably the weakest aspect of the souls games, where they simply failed to apply the design ethos of the games they're evoking.
What design ethos are they evoking?

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Look how Sekiro gets defended for not having options but yet Pokemon gets bashed for not providing difficulty options.

Definitely a sway of opinion depending on whatever game is the subject

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
What exactly is the risk? Let's say they added an option to one shot a boss when you turned the option on. What risk is being run there? Or to be more exact what risk is being run that is inherently riskier than every other design decision that any other video game has ever made? It definitely wouldn't be a programming risk as something like that is already in the game's debug mode anyway unless you genuinely think every time the playstest the game they go through every single enemy encounter.
The risk that they'd be messing with a successful formula?

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would argue that one of the things that makes From games excellent is their ability to craft and tune the difficulty of their games. They are renowned for being generally hard but fair (with a few missteps here and there).

So what we have is a string of excellent games with a single, well-tuned difficulty. On the other hand, we have other games with multiple difficulties that, generally, aren't particularly well-tuned.

No one is arguing that having only one difficulty option will always lead to perfect balance. It's a pretty easy argument to make, however, that balancing for one set of options is easier than several, especially if a developer wants to deliver the same level of quality across the board.
It's also a faulty argument because the game wouldn't lose anything by having more options but it doesn't gain anything by not having accessibility options.

I don't agree it's not a huge risk

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Look how Sekiro gets defended for not having options but yet Pokemon gets bashed for not providing difficulty options.

Definitely a sway of opinion depending on whatever game is the subject
I mean Pokémon did offer difficulty options once, fucked it up so everyone complained and then never bothered again

Jonathan Lanza

Feb 8, 2019
The risk that they'd be messing with a successful formula?
So is adding a jump button and adding a voiced main character. Sekiro is filled with things that are different from the usual formula. Your logic doesn't hold because the game Sekiro as it is would not exist unless these things were done so either

A. It's not as big a risk as you are implying it is
or
B. It doesn't matter if it's a risk or not

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

That's it.

Then you just add various mod options. "-25% damage, +25% HP", for example. Those don't have to be tight or balanced, and you can outright ignore game feel for these. That is after all the point.
Yeah, no. Really don't agree with that. This kind of reductive and oversimplified calibrating can completely break a game's intended design philosophy.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
OK, so I want to win this spelling bee, but I can't spell as good as the other contestants. I sure wish there was an option where I don't need to spell as good and get the same award as those that can.

Is this the proper analogy?

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
So is adding a jump button and adding a voiced main character. Sekiro is filled with things that are different from the usual formula. Your logic doesn't hold because the game Sekiro as it is would not exist unless these things were done so either

A. It's not as big a risk as you are implying it is
or
B. It doesn't matter if it's a risk or not
None of those affect the difficulty of the game, which is the whole point of this discussion. If there's one thing that's remained constant about From's games, it's been the difficulty. That is a constant of a much grander, complex scale than talking or jumping.

I believe my logic still holds there.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, no. Really don't agree with that. This kind of reductive and oversimplified calibrating can completely break a game's intended design philosophy.
So what if you tell the player that this option will break the game's intended design philosophy, like Celeste? Like the next sentence you left out of your quote?

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
OK, so I want to win this spelling bee, but I can't spell as good as the other contestants. I sure wish there was an option where I don't need to spell as good and get the same award as those that can.

I think it's more of a shared suffering kind of thing. I know the person bitching about dying 50 times to Isshin went through the same thing I did and it resonates. A more apt analogy might be adding an elevator to the side of everest.

(please dont make fun of me for comparing playing sekiro with climbing everest. just an analogy :))

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
I was in the camp of really not liking Sekiro at first because of how grating the difficulty was. This was coming from a Soulsborne veteran who dropped the game only to pick up up months later and finally got past the growing pains of learning the game the way it was meant to be played. I think once you get to Mt. Kongo (around that time in the game), the whole game just really starts to click, at least it did for me.

I feel like FromSoftware games shouldn't have a difficulty option, but rather one sole "Accessibility" option that lets people with disabilities and new people to gaming experience the game still but have the mechanics simpler and almost automatic. That way the true "gamers" would never put that option, and others would use it to enjoy the game who couldn't otherwise enjoy it. Just filter the people who are currently using the setting out of the people not using it for matchmaking/online purposes.

Personally I think a lot of people give up too quickly because of a seemingly cheap set of deaths, etc. Most people who stick with any Souls-like game know how good it gets about half-way through when you really start to make your created character your own, with various weapons, armor sets, and abilities. That was the only thing I didn't like about Sekiro was the variety.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm fed up of games like Cuphead getting awful reviews due to difficulty, while Kirby games get 10/10 scores across the board due to being so easy you don't have to think. It's time for those dire times to end.

Jonathan Lanza

Feb 8, 2019
None of those affect the difficulty of the game, which is the whole point of this discussion. If there's one thing that's remained constant about From's games, it's been the difficulty. That is a constant of a much grander, complex scale than talking or jumping.

I believe my logic still holds there.
So then it's not a matter of breaking formula because as I just showed it does lots of things to break formula.
It's about if the options would make the game easier or harder and if that's the case then I'd have to ask agian, what exactly is the risk?
In this thread alone you've seen that there are people who play From games...
For the story
For the environments
For the lore
For the ability to dress up their character
For the production values
For the difficulty

Adding in accessibility options would not effect how these people enjoy the game and would only give them more ability to enjoy the game for their specific reasons. So in the end it wouldn't be much of a risk at all, everyone still gets their slice of the pie.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
If Souls games had a pop-up saying "Entering Easy Mode. Are you sure?" when you initiated co-op play for the first time via Soapstone or whatever, do you think that would change the perceived reputation of their company or franchise?

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
How? Can you give an example at least?
Well, I've discussed this at length in other topics, but sure I guess. This example is inspired by a discussion I had with BossAttack with regards to the last boss of Jedi Fallen Order. He said the combat did not feel satisfying because, since the damage dealt by some attacks was too low, he could just brute force the fight (e.g. heal up after taking damage) without having to learn how to evade/counter the boss's attack pattern.

This might be fine for a game where the focus is far more on enjoying the story and not caring too much about a feeling of satisfaction for overcoming great odds. But, since the design philosophy of FromSoft's game is the latter, rather than the former, reducing the damage taken by enemy attacks could completely disrupt that feeling. Similarly, if your design philosophy is to have an oppressive, terrifying atmosphere, an environment full of constant danger, if the enemies and traps are weak and barely impede the player, it would go against that. A good example of that is if you revisit the earlier areas of Dark Souls after progressing far into the game and acquiring stronger equipment; what used to be terrifying and foreboding is now a cakewalk. If the game had started out as that cakewalk, that "horror" feeling would never be there at all.

You might counter, "well then just pick the hard mode and ignore the -25% damage", and maybe that can work, but then again, maybe not. A lot of FromSoft fans became fans precisely because they could not lower the difficulty and had to play the game on its own terms, and could not be tempted to lower the damage/difficulty, and in the end, they were glad they persevered. I understand that many think "yeah but what about those who didn't persevere and abandoned, they could have become fans with an easy mode", and that's why it's all ultimately subjective. I personally prefer to preserve that particular design philosophy, because it's not like there isn't plenty of the other type of designs to go around for those who seek it.

And that's not even going into the issues regarding multiplayer balancing and possibly segregating player pools and therefore affecting the health of the multiplayer community... 😅

So what if you tell the player that this option will break the game's intended design philosophy, like Celeste? Like the next sentence you left out of your quote?
I mean, you could, I guess? I just don't see why devs should feel pressured to include that. It's fine if the Celeste devs decided to include the equivalent of a "cheat code" in their game, but no dev should feel like it's an obligation, is what I'm saying.

Apr 21, 2018
Difficulty is the exact reason I don't buy Souls games, Bloodborne, Sekiro, and won't but Eden Rising.

It's too bad. I just find them frustrating and would rather work up to a hard difficulty than be punished for it off the bat. I'm sure I'm not the only one who avoids these games due to difficulty and the developer/publisher are just simply losing sales.

I think they would be smart to add the option. Having more options is never a bad thing.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
I think it's more of a shared suffering kind of thing. I know the person bitching about dying 50 times to Isshin went through the same thing I did and it resonates. A more apt analogy might be adding an elevator to the side of everest.

(please dont make fun of me for comparing playing sekiro with climbing everest. just an analogy :))
Totally agree. Remembering back to when it released feeling like I was part of a support group for all of us suffering through the tough spots. We are not alone. Lol

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
One thing is that I like the feeling of "I honestly don't know if I can beat this game or not." I like having the ability to fail with no way to win outside of actually engaging the game super hard and learning my way through it. Design wise, is it even possible for a game to have this feeling and be accessible?

Like that's not me shitting on accessibility options - between the two, I'm more than happy to give up my ideal game so that people with more severe disabilities than I can actually play games. That's just me brainstorming whether those two things are even possible to co-exist.

Jonathan Lanza

Feb 8, 2019
Well, I've discussed this at length in other topics, but sure I guess. This example is inspired by a discussion I had with BossAttack with regards to the last boss of Jedi Fallen Order. He said the combat did not feel satisfying because, since the damage dealt by some attacks was too low, he could just brute force the fight (e.g. heal up after taking damage) without having to learn how to evade/counter the boss's attack pattern.

This might be fine for a game where the focus is far more on enjoying the story and not caring too much about a feeling of satisfaction for overcoming great odds. But, since the design philosophy of FromSoft's game is the latter, rather than the former, reducing the damage taken by enemy attacks could completely disrupt that feeling. Similarly, if your design philosophy is to have an oppressive, terrifying atmosphere, an environment full of constant danger, if the enemies and traps are weak and barely impede the player, it would go against that. A good example of that is if you revisit the earlier areas of Dark Souls after progressing far into the game and acquiring stronger equipment; what used to be terrifying and foreboding is now a cakewalk. If the game had started out as that cakewalk, that "horror" feeling would never be there at all.

You might counter, "well then just pick the hard mode and ignore the -25% damage", and maybe that can work, but then again, maybe not. A lot of FromSoft fans became fans precisely because they could not lower the difficulty and had to play the game on its own terms, and could not be tempted to lower the damage/difficulty, and in the end, they were glad they persevered. I understand that many think "yeah but what about those who didn't persevere and abandoned, they could have become fans with an easy mode", and that's why it's all ultimately subjective. I personally prefer to preserve that particular design philosophy, because it's not like there isn't plenty of the other type of designs to go around for those who seek it.
I mean you've answered your own hypothesis. For the people who play the games for difficulty reasons then they can ignore that stuff. For the people who play these games for other reasons then they would have those options available. These games have an incredibly wide arrangement of different fans who play these games for different reasons. Dark Souls 1, 2 and 3 have sold MILLIONS on the PC and all of those versions have had trainers almost immediately after the games came out that could be easily downloaded. Even Sekiro has one and it has still sold a huge amount on the PC. So while I'm sure the crowd that only buys these and enjoys these games because you can't alter the difficulty DOES exist the numbers show that they are either not as big a majority as you would think or that these people's enjoyment of the game isn't actually that effected by the existence of these options.

Dec 8, 2018
Difficulty is the exact reason I don't buy Souls games, Bloodborne, Sekiro, and won't but Eden Rising.

It's too bad. I just find them frustrating and would rather work up to a hard difficulty than be punished for it off the bat. I'm sure I'm not the only one who avoids these games due to difficulty and the developer/publisher are just simply losing sales.

I think they would be smart to add the option. Having more options is never a bad thing.

I think the difficulty and how they don't add an easy mode so to speak is the reason they get most of their sales.

People like to feel like they accomplished something not everybody else will, test their limits and endurance and I think From is targeting those gamers who are that way and would loose them should they choose to add an "easy mode". So yes I believe they really do think having more options is a bad idea for their games since they continue to be as hard as ever and they are only selling more and more proving there is a market for games like this.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
How long did you get out of a given game before you hit a wall? Example, me: dark souls 70 hrs, bloodborne 40 hrs

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One thing is that I like the feeling of "I honestly don't know if I can beat this game or not." I like having the ability to fail with no way to win outside of actually engaging the game super hard and learning my way through it. Design wise, is it even possible for a game to have this feeling and be accessible?
That's another reason we need games without difficulty options

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
I mean you've answered your own hypothesis. For the people who play the games for difficulty reasons then they can ignore that stuff.
But that's the thing; they don't always do that, and when they don't, they might ruin it for themselves. Removing the option forces them to play the game on its own terms and many players appreciate that.

For the people who play these games for other reasons then they would have those options available. These games have an incredibly wide arrangement of different fans who play these games for different reasons. Dark Souls 1, 2 and 3 have sold MILLIONS on the PC and all of those versions have had trainers almost immediately after the games came out that could be easily downloaded. Even Sekiro has one and it has still sold a huge amount on the PC. So while I'm sure the crowd that only buys these and enjoys these games because you can't alter the difficulty DOES exist the numbers show that they are either not as big a majority as you would think or that these people's enjoyment of the game isn't actually that effected by the existence of these options.
This ignores the fact that Demon's Souls, and later Dark Souls (which originated on consoles and definitely without cheat engines, initially), were considered appealing precisely because of how uncompromising they were. Had Demon's/Dark Souls included easy mode to start with, it's very likely they would not have had the impact that they did.

Like that's not me shitting on accessibility options - between the two, I'm more than happy to give up my ideal game so that people with more severe disabilities than I can actually play games. That's just me brainstorming whether those two things are even possible to co-exist.
Yeah, that's a great point. There are no easy answers, all I can really say is that even if you do add difficulty settings, no game will never be fully accessible to everyone, so it's up to the devs to decide what kind of audience they want (a small niche one, a wider one but with some restrictions, a very wide one, etc.) and what kind of dev effort they want to put to achieve this.

Apr 21, 2018
I think the difficulty and how they don't add an easy mode so to speak is the reason they get most of their sales.

People like to feel like they accomplished something not everybody else will, test their limits and endurance and I think From is targeting those gamers who are that way and would loose them should they choose to add an "easy mode". So yes I believe they really do think having more options is a bad idea for their games since they continue to be as hard as ever and they are only selling more and more proving there is a market for games like this.

You know, I can see that argument. It's much more of an accomplishment being difficult. I just feel like I'm missing out, and I don't really have time in my life to really trial-and-error enemy encounters. I did try Bloodborne, and I died repeatedly to the point of frustration. I loved the atmosphere and world and wish I could have explored more.

I am okay missing out. I don't have enough time to play all the games I buy as it is. I just, I don't know, I don't know what the solution is. What would you recommend? Is there one of these games that's a good entry point?

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You know, I can see that argument. It's much more of an accomplishment being difficult. I just feel like I'm missing out, and I don't really have time in my life to really trial-and-error enemy encounters. I did try Bloodborne, and I died repeatedly to the point of frustration. I loved the atmosphere and world and wish I could have explored more.

I am okay missing out. I don't have enough time to play all the games I buy as it is. I just, I don't know, I don't know what the solution is. What would you recommend? Is there one of these games that's a good entry point?
I'd personally be ok if they made a "cinematic mode" that made you invincible and let you 1 shot every monster/boss. That way people who cant play the game for whatever reason can still experience all the other great things about FROM game.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

This analog doesn't work since none of From's games are competitive. They're single-player experience so someone playing easy mode isn't going to affect you. Unlike say, someone putting a god mode mob on a competitive shooter like Halo.

Jonathan Lanza

Feb 8, 2019
But that's the thing; they don't always do that, and when they don't, they might ruin it for themselves. Removing the option forces them to play the game on its own terms and many players appreciate that.

This ignores the fact that Demon's Souls, and later Dark Souls (which originated on consoles and definitely without cheat engines, initially), were considered appealing precisely because of how uncompromising they were. Had Demon's/Dark Souls included easy mode to start with, it's very likely they would not have had the impact that they did.

1. Since the release of Demon Souls, the fanbase for these games has grown and become a lot more diverse, people now play and buy these games for a much larger variety of reasons then just that.

2. Between Demon Souls and Dark Souls, Dark Souls is the more popular one by far. But Dark Souls is also exactly the start of From making compromises from Demon Souls. Adding in the Estus Flask to replace grinding for health items in Demon Souls. Demon Souls had enemy stats increase with your death and eventually would add in super hard black phantom enemies and Dark Souls all but eliminated this from the equation. Even more compromises exist from Dark Souls onward such as giving the player the ability to fast-travel from the get go. These were all compromises that were made and yes also made the games easier,

The narrative that these games are completely uncompromising is kinda a false one and the truth is if these games WERE completely uncompromising after Demon Souls then many things you've come to associate with the series would not exist now. Again it needs to be mentioned that Dark Souls is arguably more popular than Demon Souls so these compromises obviously appealed to a large swath of people. You are massively oversimplifying what people find appealing about these games, it is not down to one specific thing and as early as Dark Souls there were people who were playing these games for a variety of different reasons.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
I'd personally be ok if they made a "cinematic mode" that made you invincible and let you 1 shot every monster/boss. That way people who cant play the game for whatever reason can still experience all the other great things about FROM game.
There's YouTube. Can't believe this discussion is going again lol

Dec 8, 2018
This topic is so beaten to death.

People like to be challenged, test their limits and feel like they accomplished something not every one else can and putting their skills to the test.

The same way Souls games attract people who wants to test their video game skills people climb mountains, run marathons, take their car to the racetrack Etc I can go on for eternity

From understand this and are targeting those people it's as simple as that and they probably never will change that as long as their games keep selling like they do.

People don't usually complain that while they can run pretty far they can't finish a marathon so the ones having the marathon should make shorter tracks for those that don't want to run that far. They simply choose another track they feel more comfortable with. And there are plenty of other "Tracks" in gaming than FromSoftware games.

"But it's entertainment and I payed for it and I should be entitled to see the end"

Running is not exactly cheap either and if you pay for the starting fee for a marathon and only run a third of it you won't get the money back either or entitled to get driven to the end of the race so you can get over the finish line.

If you afterwards choose to keep paying for participating in marathons with the knowledge that you probably won't finish it this time either because it's probably just as long that is on you not the ones having the marathon.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with 1) but not 2). There are plenty of people who have given up with it, progress blocked by a range of puzzles that they can't get past. That's okay too.
Way late on this one but also players can just *look up puzzle solutions*. You can look up Sekiro strats, but ultimately, you're gated by skill.

I would argue that "entitled crybaby" works both ways on this issue. "This game doesn't cater to me and should" seems pretty entitled, no?
Most people aren't saying that; it's a strawman argument.

Feel free to, but while I don't agree with bowling specifically, I do agree with the sentiment. The gaming landscape is more than broad enough to accommodate games for everyone AND that are niche. Why change the few niche ones...?
Sekiro is not niche. Not even close.