• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions!

• GOAT

Votes: 131 8.4%
  • 95-99

Votes: 63 4.0%
  • 90-94 (As good as Bloodborne and Dark Souls 2)

Votes: 680 43.4%
  • 85-90 (As good as Dark Souls, Dark Souls 3 & Demon's Souls)

Votes: 598 38.2%
  • Below 85

Votes: 94 6.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
1 hour until the GOAT reveals itself unto us
1fAL.gif

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
I think its a low 80s game. Based on what I've read in the OT, unless you are into the hardcore combat and difficulty, your experience may be frustrating. I'm not sure people realize how much the Soulsborne games could mitigate that difficulty with exploration, lore, summoning help, changing builds. I think the difficulty in those games has been sort of overblown. Sekiro seems to be the epitome of Git Gud, and little else to offer. I could be wrong. I hope I am.

Been playing the game since yesterday evening and the points you raise are definitely going /need to factor into the reviews. In Dark Souls and Bloodborne you could adjust the difficulty by summoning a npc or another player, Sekiro can be very frustrating if you are struggling to progress and I can see players hitting a wall. I think this will turn off some reviewers and definitely put off players that struggled with Souls /Bloodborne.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting that Dark Souls 2 is the highest rated Dark Souls game even though it's usually considered the weakest of the three.

illamap

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting that Dark Souls 2 is the highest rated Dark Souls game even though it's usually considered the weakest of the three.

Brand, marketing and hype are much more effective predictors of review scores than the actual quality of the game. Not to mention potential backlash over low review score from fanatics of particular franchise or developer that enjoys good branding among fans. Anyways my guess is still 93.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Can you give me 3 examples in this generation where reviewer pointed out the difficulty being too much and gave lower scores?
Not on mass, but there are always a few on every Miyazaki release, and this also sounds like it might be the single most difficult non-indie game of the generation. When seasoned souls vets are taking hours to beat early game bosses, at some point the guy who got assigned it to review for the Duluth local newspaper is gonna tap out and that happening even a handful of times is enough to bring the Metacritic down a few pegs.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not on mass, but there are always a few on every Miyazaki release, and this also sounds like it might be the single most difficult non-indie game of the generation. When seasoned souls vets are taking hours to beat early game bosses, at some point the guy who got assigned it to review for the Duluth local newspaper is gonna tap out and that happening even a handful of times is enough to bring the Metacritic down a few pegs.
can you point me to couple of those reviews where they did that?

Kamolahy

Oct 27, 2017
While I'm hoping it rests at a 92+, I'm guessing like 84-86. We've created such an air around Bloodborne, I don't think there's anything but disappointment to be dished out in at least some regards.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Sounds like I'm going to love this game if these difficulty mentions are true.

I have not been following. What are they saying about it? I loved bloodborne but had my struggles. At 34 my gaming skills have been on the decline and I dont like overly high stressful games that much anymore.

Challenge is ok, but questioning every step and button press gets my blood pressure up.

Oct 25, 2017
Dude, just worry about enjoying your game.

Yes, but people are criticizing reviewers over scores they haven't given to defend a game they haven't played
Every time without any sense of irony.

And apparently games don't get true recognition until they score a 95.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played Bloodborne (Platinum'd it) last year and loved it, although I wish it was a bit harder.

Sounds like this game will be challenging tho, I can't wait!

Voted for GOAT cause come on, its From Software.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Haven't really been following the game that much, on purpose though. Since I thought they showed a lot of bloodborne. Which is one of my GOAT (appreciate dark souls, but don't enjoy it as much).

Think I'm gonna enjoy the fast pace of this...
Might have to pre order quick time once reviews drops.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Dude, just worry about enjoying your game.

Every time without any sense of irony.

And apparently games don't get true recognition until they score a 95.
I'm not criticizing those reviewers, giving a game a negative score because you literally could not complete the game is fair and is useful info to a subset of the audience that might be interested in this game. I'm just trying to predict the MC and I suspect the difficulty will add some downward pressure on the score.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
How is the general opinion so far?

Was extremely hyped at E3 but then I cooled myself off to 0 and basically had a media blackout because I thought I will get it later cause I can't buy and play so many new games, the output is crazy these days (same with DMC5 and that was successful, it's completely out of my system with no intention of buying and I know zero about it) but now my girlfriend wants to get it for us tomorrow and I saw some pieces from a let's play she watched yesterday.
I'm a HUGE Souls fan and veteran since 2009 and now I just want to know from general Impressions if it's a worthy Bloodborne level "Souls" follow up or a mediocre kinda ok spin-off?

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing the game since yesterday evening and the points you raise are definitely going /need to factor into the reviews. In Dark Souls and Bloodborne you could adjust the difficulty by summoning a npc or another player, Sekiro can be very frustrating if you are struggling to progress and I can see players hitting a wall. I think this will turn off some reviewers and definitely put off players that struggled with Souls /Bloodborne.
To be fair I always think as summoning as an extra option, most reviewers or people, especially hardcore, play the game without summon on their first run. Summoning for me removes a significant part of the soul experince

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
How is the general opinion so far?

Was extremely hyped at E3 but then I cooled myself off to 0 and basically had a media blackout because I thought I will get it later cause I can't buy and play so many new games, the output is crazy these days (same with DMC5 and that was successful, it's completely out of my system with no intention of buying and I know zero about it) but now my girlfriend wants to get it tomorrow and I say some pieces from a let's play yesterday.
I'm a HUGE Souls fan and veteran since 2009 and now I just want to know from general Impressions if it's a worthy Bloodborne level "Souls" follow up or a mediocre kinda ok spin-off?
Multiple people in the OT who got it early have said it's just as good as the Miyazaki trilogy, and some have said it's even better.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hype + reviewers who'd overlooked DeS and DS1 jumping on the bandwagon. You see this with music reviewers, where an artist breaks through to the mainstream, then the follow-up album has a huge push, huge sales, hyperbolic reviews, but afterwards is regarded as a failure by fans and critics.

Epitome

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like I'm going to love this game if these difficulty mentions are true.

Game is incredibly challenging. It really reminds me of playing Dark Souls for the first time. I'm around six hours in and I feel like I'm finally getting comfy with the combat, but I can definitely see how people trying to play this like a Soulsborne are going to get extremely frustrated. It's a new beast, and doesn't make any concessions about it. Reviews should be interesting.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm expecting the score to be a little low just because reviewers cant be carried the same way. I'm expecting to hear "it's too punishing, the sickness of the npcs makes each death too much"

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Low 90. I think From will get some leeway on some of the more divisive changes, just like any other established franchises.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I want the game to review and sell well just based on what we've seen alone. Looks awesome. Voted for 90-94 but high 80s is good as well.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
I think in general reviews will be higher due to the excitement of it being a new IP. This assumes that the game itself is pretty solid.