• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Sekiro having a devcount at around 80-90 people is damn impressive. These guys are efficent and smart when it comes to designing games. They stick to their strenghts.

From used to pump out titles yearly for almost two decades. Sure a lot of their older stuff was trash but they knew how to get job done.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I actualy wish nioh's level design kept the quality of the levels given to us in the beta. I feel like nioh is still the best "soulslike" outside of fromsoft and they have something going for them with some more improvements.

I'm actually quite excited for Nioh 2 because I think this is where the improvements will be. The combat is already extremely impressive.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
91CnOhASvlL._SL1500_.jpg

Day 0 babe!

I'd like this steelbook at least being sold as a limited edition...Damn

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
No Souls game has been. Hasn't stopped them from being the best games I've played in quite sometime.

It's funny to see a post like this with that 60 dollar price thread. It's easy to see why publishers and developers chase extreme graphical fidelity when in one fell swoop, someone like yourself can look past all a game's obvious merits just to make a reductive shitpost.

I have all the console graphical juggernauts of this generation but funny enough, not a single one has held my attention like a Soulsborne game. And after beating them, I've been unable to go back to a single one.

But to each their own, I guess.
I actually think Dark Souls 3 is still the best looking game this gen. Sekiro might be a slight step back for me on that front but that's only because I'm such a sucker for gothic cathedrals.

I'm definitely open to being won over by the Japanese castles though.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro having a devcount at around 80-90 people is damn impressive. These guys are efficent and smart when it comes to designing games. They stick to their strenghts.

From used to pump out titles yearly for almost two decades. Sure a lot of their older stuff was trash but they knew how to get job done.
Wait really? 80-90? That's incredible if true. And the game will be at least 20 hours long with great gameplay throughout and an engaging story. Other devs need to take notes.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Sorry if it's been brought up but has From talked about their dlc plans?
Not to my knowledge (other than there won't be any microtransactions)

I'll be really bummed if we don't get an Artorias of the Abyss-style expansion like all their other soulsikes. The lead up to those is almost as fun as the lead up to the game itself.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
22 March, I won't even be done with DMC5 by then lol... what a great time for games.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Not to my knowledge (other than there won't be any microtransactions)

I'll be really bummed if we don't get an Artorias of the Abyss-style expansion like all their other soulsikes. The lead up to those is almost as fun as the lead up to the game itself.

I'm expecting an expansion or two, but confirmation would be nice. It will definitely influence my purchasing plans.

OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Wait really? 80-90? That's incredible if true. And the game will be at least 20 hours long with great gameplay throughout and an engaging story. Other devs need to take notes.

Gameinformer had a cover trip there and asked Miyazaki about the team size for Sekiro. He mentioned it was similar to Bloodborne & DS3 around 80-100 people. Some of the Bloodborne leads are on Sekiro atm. The other half of their devs are working on unannounced stuff.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I'm expecting an expansion or two, but confirmation would be nice. It will definitely influence my purchasing plans.
The one thing that has me worried is that as much as I'm tired of people hand-wringing over the Activision thing... wouldn't Activison have encouraged them sell a season's pass like DaS2 and 3? It's a little weird that that's missing.

22 March, I won't even be done with DMC5 by then lol... what a great time for games.
I'm going out of town for FIVE DAYS and I'm LEAVING the 22nd.

I'm kicking myself for scheduling the trip then. I didn't even think about it until it was too late

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
On which hardware the previews were played?

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Does anybody still think this looks too much like Nioh?
I don't think Nioh looks anything like this. Despite their surface level similarities, they're both going for completely different looks and I think that's awesome.

I'm super excited for Nioh 2, just as I'm super excited for Sekiro. We don't need to pit these games against each other, really.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Does anybody still think this looks too much like Nioh?

Not exactly, because it looks more like Tenchu, which came out two decades prior. Since the reveal however, it did look quite a bit like Ninja Gaiden combat wise, so it at least did remind me of Team Ninja.

By that standard Demon looked too samey to Dark Souls.

That's a strange comparison considering Dark Souls looked a hell of a lot like Demon's Souls for many reasons.

Disagree. Awesome art direction and animation.

Neither of which they said anything about. I actually thought the graphics looked similar on this gen compared to how Dark Souls 2 looked last gen. FROM's games since 2009 have never been graphical powerhouses aside from some armors and maybe a boss or two. That doesn't prevent them from still being some of the best looking anyway.

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Forget those tbh.

It's own thing. The father mentioned here is the armored knight seen in some gifs in this thread.

CWlnV.jpg
Dying, or rather defying death, seems to a pretty big part of the lore so far. Reminds me of all the talk of blood in Bloodborne. The protagonist can resurrect due to his special bloodline, which is tied to Dragonrot. The guy in the hub can't die. This mentions "the power of the Undying"

Is there any specific Japanese folklore or myths tied to death, resurrection, corruption? I could see any twists or horror stuff being tied to that

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
That Dragonrot thing really seems to be a big part of the game, in the sense that every player will be faced to it. Even the good ones.. in the previews the npc's would start to get sick already, imagine in the full game.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
That Dragonrot thing really seems to be a big part of the game, in the sense that every player will be faced to it. Even the good ones.. in the previews the npc's would start to get sick already, imagine in the full game.
It sounds like this game's Insight. I can only imagine that there will be very drastic consequences, both narratively and mechanically

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like this game's Insight. I can only imagine that there will be very drastic consequences, both narratively and mechanically

I actually hope they take it a couple steps further than insight. I actually thought the whole insight system was dramatically undercooked in BB and didn't amount to all that much.

Jul 20, 2018
What? No. Even the environments are completely different looking despite the games taking place in more-or-less the same setting. And the gameplay looks absolutely nothing like Nioh

Haha, I wasn't meaning to imply that I think that. Just wondering if this footage had convinced those that still did. And apparently for some people it hasn't.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
The one thing that has me worried is that as much as I'm tired of people hand-wringing over the Activision thing... wouldn't Activison have encouraged them sell a season's pass like DaS2 and 3? It's a little weird that that's missing.

I'm going out of town for FIVE DAYS and I'm LEAVING the 22nd.

I'm kicking myself for scheduling the trip then. I didn't even think about it until it was too late

Yeah, From is one of the companies we actually want dlc from. I don't know historically when they normally announce it though.

Jul 20, 2018
Considering what kind of special hell working in Japan can be like I'd be careful before making these statements lol

Yeah, working conditions at FromSoft seem to be... less than great, according to this: https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/5nqu0w/what_its_like_working_at_from_software/

Average salary: Approx $30,000 USD

• Job hours satisfaction= 1.7/5.0
  • Challenging job = 4.4/5.0
  • Stressfree level = 2.7/5.0
  • Annual leave satisfaction = 3.4/5.0
  • Pay satisfaction = 2.0/5.0
  • White % (i.e. overall satisfaction, and how well they treat employees) = 2.1/5.0

The site these figures comes from appears to be constantly updated, but it's in Japanese so I can't read it. Looks like things are a little better now (2.5 star overall satisfaction) but still...

https://careerconnection.jp/review/569991-overview.html

I waa hoping they'd be able to treat their employees better with their recent success so that's disappointing.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
More like Demons Souls world tendency I hope, but not quite as... Esoteric.
The sound of it makes it seem like a corruption. Didn't tendency just cause events to happen and have minor gameplay changes? I imagine Dragonrot would be more of a gradual shift in the world, enemies, characters, etc.

Edit: it would be cool if enemies become more mutated and twisted throughout the game. Like the human enemies and familiar seemingly-normal environments become more corrupted and otherworldly due to growing Dragonrot. Imagine if what starts as a regular human soldier becomes a The Thing/Junji Ito-type demonic aberration by the end

Last edited:

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
God I can't wait for this game. It looks so well designed, I love how health kind of takes a backseat to the posture system and how bosses and stronger enemies have to be dealt multiple killing blows. Unseen Aid reminds me of Into the Breach's grid defense chance; RNG that works because it's in service of the player and because you typically don't expect it to proc.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
The sound of it makes it seem like a corruption. Didn't tendency just cause events to happen and have minor gameplay changes? I imagine Dragonrot would be more of a gradual shift in the world, enemies, characters, etc.

Edit: it would be cool if enemies become more mutated and twisted throughout the game. Like the human enemies and familiar seemingly-normal environments become more corrupted and otherworldly due to growing Dragonrot. Imagine if what starts as a regular human soldier becomes a The Thing/Junji Ito-type demonic aberration by the end

World tendency ran quite a bit deeper than that. Enemy difficulty, item drop rates, black phantoms appearing etc: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/world-tendency

I don't think it was particularly well implemented, but insight didn't really amount to much of anything!

It would be cool if dragonrot doesn't only have negative impacts. Could be that infected standard enemies are actually weaker. Honestly I'm not expecting too much from this aspect. I think it will be more like a major story element and it spreads regardless (with minor world changes). People worried about being punished for dying are probably blowing things out of proportion.

Well, maybe. We'll see soon enough

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the Dragonrot mechanic will look like in the game. I guess if you die too many times you start affecting NPCs, who get sick or something becuase of something called Dragonrot. I hope theres a way to get rid of it.

EDIT:
LOL just saw its being talked about already rigth above me. Doop.

I do hope theres a way to get rid of it though if its pretty drastic overall. I would hate to have to restart the game because I died too many times, which I know will happen lol.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder what the Dragonrot mechanic will look like in the game. I guess if you die too many times you start affecting NPCs, who get sick or something becuase of something called Dragonrot. I hope theres a way to get rid of it.

EDIT:
LOL just saw its being talked about already rigth above me. Doop.

I do hope theres a way to get rid of it though if its pretty drastic overall. I would hate to have to restart the game because I died too many times, which I know will happen lol.

There was an item that mentioned curing Dragonrot (which is the coolest term I've heard in ages) but what that actually means... Nobody really knows!

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I've been dipping in-and-out of the thread, so apologies if already asked/answered...

Any news on the digital soundtrack - especially in flac/hi-res flac - beyond it being offered in the collector's edition? Steam pre-order has a mini-soundtrack, but a) mini-soundtracks are dumb, and b) it'll almost certainly be mp3.