• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017
I remember seeing some footage of someone getting to the very top of the mountain of the third area and it looked extremely cool, but I forgot what preview I saw it in. Anyone know?

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I was 100% on the fiance about this game with the earlier previews the game looked waaaaaay to shallow and not soo great, and the no PVP was a turn off at first but after these newer previews I just watched LOBOs Jr 2 hours q&a about his play through and its really got the heart of DS and BB but with this new japan and ninja setting... cant fucking wait.

I'm just wondering HOW LONG the game is is it about the same length as DS3 or BB I'm really hoping for at least 20 bosses and a 40-60 hour long game...
I'm be real sad if its only like 20-25 hours even with a new game plus I just feel that's wwaaay to short.

Also I really hope the US verison has BOTH Japanese and English dubs... the Japanese VA sounded amazing but it would be cool to include both because I could use the English VA on a second play-through.

also it has big cocks soo GOTY... lol
UiUmcbs.gif

and now the wait is real two more weeks.. -_- :/ :(

good lord

hype is even more now

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Does indeed, Enemy engagement and the Ki system seems similar, Setting clearly is the same. Even the blocking looks familiar, Not a bad thing as Nioh has the best combat this gen anyway.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering my time with Nioh but the gameplay between these two looks nothing alike aside from the most basic of elements. Just navigating the environments is entirely different.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering just how much of the game we've seen, at this point in time we haven't seen many areas or bosses, hopefully they're holding it close to their chest for good reasons.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm mis-remembering my time with Nioh but the gameplay between these two looks nothing alike aside from the most basic of elements. Just navigating the environments is entirely different.
Sekiro looks way more stealth oriented, But the stances are of the same ilk from Nioh, But yeah like you say navigating around is way different.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro looks way more stealth oriented, But the stances are of the same ilk from Nioh, But yeah like you say navigating around is way different.

That was just an example. The combat isn't all that similar aside from the most basic tenets which most third person melee focused action games exhibit. Some big differences are things like no stamina bar in Sekiro, combat is far more aerial and acrobatic and the heavy focus on parrying. Even your example of stances has no comparable element in Sekiro.

Last edited:

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
It's nice that more strict timing maneuvers are likely better rewarded, such as the amount of posture damage from below clip. Hopefully this is not an one or two instance scenario in the game.

Enemy preparing to do the unblockable dash attack and gets jumped on, stopping the target in it's tracks and take what looks like over 50% posture damage.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I still don't understand why people were ever worried. None of the fears made sense to me.
Not "worried" but the lack of things I like in the prior games, namely gear variety + multiplayer combining to make numerous single & multiplayer playthroughs fun means I'll never really be as interested in this.

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
Can you use the revive mechanic as much as you want? If so, is there any catch to it?

Oct 29, 2017
I am thinking we are not getting a lot of prostetic tools if they have skill trees. The variety within these trees is yet to be seem but I am betting we are getting around ten tools.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Does indeed, Enemy engagement and the Ki system seems similar, Setting clearly is the same. Even the blocking looks familiar, Not a bad thing as Nioh has the best combat this gen anyway.
How is the setting clearly the same? And how is the combat remotely similar? This has no stamina and is far faster and acrobatic than anything in Nioh, there are no stances, and enemies look much more dynamic

Nioh's combat is slower and Souls-like, while Sekiro looks like an elegant dance of blade-locking parries, literally matching your enemies blow by blow

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Does anybody still think this looks too much like Nioh?

I could understand that initially, but I think this game has aptly demonstrated it's a very different beast. It's going to be interesting to see how this, Nioh 2 and Ghost of Tsushima fare if they all release this year.

My prediction. This will end up with a 91 average, Nioh 2 mid-high 80s, GOT low-mid 80s. Not that reviews mean a damn thing, it's just fun to predict.

Oct 25, 2017
Unimpressive graphically

No Souls game has been. Hasn't stopped them from being the best games I've played in quite sometime.

It's funny to see a post like this with that 60 dollar price thread. It's easy to see why publishers and developers chase extreme graphical fidelity when in one fell swoop, someone like yourself can look past all a game's obvious merits just to make a reductive shitpost.

I have all the console graphical juggernauts of this generation but funny enough, not a single one has held my attention like a Soulsborne game. And after beating them, I've been unable to go back to a single one.

But to each their own, I guess.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
What a lame handwave. Without trial and error the game will be less fun. How is it a bad thing to allow players to practice against enemies without a penalty?

One of the very first things any decent player would want to do is get used to the enemies' attack patterns. In a tough game, that's an essential step in the process of improving your skills.

Since when was any decent action game more fun to watch than play? The feel of the mechanics, which you can only get firsthand, is the core of the experience.
It liked the previews. They are showing mostly things from the initial trailer only longer gameplay footage. I saw 1 or 2 new bosses and in total 3 areas and initial impression of game systems.

Even with all the available media from and activision are holding cards close to their chest.

that snake stabbed in the eye was the biggest spoiler for me. I was fine with the rest,but goddamn. I'd like to have found that myself

Oct 25, 2017
No Souls game has been. Hasn't stopped them from being the best games I've played in quite sometime.

It's funny to see a post like this with that 60 dollar price thread. It's easy to see why publishers and developers chase extreme graphical fidelity when in one fell swoop, someone like yourself can look past all a game's obvious merits just to make a reductive shitpost.

I have all the console graphical juggernauts of this generation but funny enough, not a single one has held my attention like a Soulsborne game. And after beating them, I've been unable to go back to a single one.

I expected it. Every enemy can be killed in a Soulsborne game. May not be straightforward at first but it's always been possible.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Can you use the revive mechanic as much as you want? If so, is there any catch to it?

There's a meter above your healthbar in the bottom left corner of the screen that fills up as you kill enemies. Once filled up, you can resurrect. You start with two meters that can be filled, which means that if you've killed enough enemies without dying you could resurrect twice in a battle.

Apparently you can increase the number of times you can resurrect via upgrades.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basically. If you're only measuring graphics by realism or fidelity, then they're unimpressive. The animations, aesthetic, enemy design, use of color are all outstanding. All the layers of details on the enemies and your protagonist are amazing
Tbh, I prefer these elements in Dark Souls and much more so in Bloodborne. I'm not really in love with the aesthetics so far n Sekiro

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
How is the setting clearly the same? And how is the combat remotely similar? This has no stamina and is far faster and acrobatic than anything in Nioh, there are no stances, and enemies look much more dynamic

Nioh's combat is slower and Souls-like, while Sekiro looks like an elegant dance of blade-locking parries, literally matching your enemies blow by blow
I'm convinced people who say this looks anything like Nioh have the smallest frame of reference for combat in these sorts of games and how they differ. Like who can you look at this and then Nioh and say yeah they play the same and both have stances....like talk about surface level analysis which isnt even correct lol.

I mean all I played of Nioh was the beta and I can already see how much this game differs. Like where in Nioh can you do something even remotely similar to this?

This is a great point and why I think games akin to Souls in terms of marketing and budget will be the future. Publishers and devs need to realize sooner or later that improved graphics have and will hit a plateau and the most important thing to improve upon will be actual game design.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I'm convinced people who say this looks anything like Nioh have the smallest frame of reference for combat in these sorts of games and how they differ. Like who can you look at this and then Nioh and say yeah they play the same and both have stances....like talk about surface level analysis which isnt even correct lol.

I mean all I played of Nioh was the beta and I can already see how much this game differs. Like where in Nioh can you do something even remotely similar to this?

This is a great point and why I think games akin to Souls in terms of marketing and budget will be the future. Publishers and devs need to realize sooner or later that improved graphics have and will hit a plateau and the most important thing to improve upon will be actual game design.

And art design. Souls and Bloodborne aren't Uncharted or DMC V or Horizon, but they are masterworks of aesthetic and level design.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
That has never been From's biggest strengths and even DS never been

From have always been a AA developer, not AAA. I don't think they will ever be near the top of the technological pile.

Their rise to prominance over the last decade has been remarkable though. If Sekiro sticks the landing they will have released 3 very highly regarded titles this gen. Many studios this gen with far more resources have struggled to even release a single game, or had high profile disappointments.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Nioh wishes it had even a fraction of the amazing level design, enemy design and gameplay of Sekiro...only thing Nioh gets credit for is the combat stances
I actualy wish nioh's level design kept the quality of the levels given to us in the beta. I feel like nioh is still the best "soulslike" outside of fromsoft and they have something going for them with some more improvements.