• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
What the hell? Finished reading some of the telegraph stuff.

Miyazaki interested in Battle Royale? This is thread worthy haha
"There's always the possibility," Miyazaki says. "These games are definitely fun. And we're interested in the patterns they are taking. If we did it, it might be a bit different! But we're definitely interested and there's definitely that possibility in the future. We'd love to take a crack at them some day."

Oct 25, 2017
Man this game looks rad as hell, played all the soulsborne games and never completed any 😂 got pretty damn close with blood borne and some decent progress in DSremastered, anyways what's the general conseus on difficulty compared to the other games? I'm eager to play this and be my first completed from software game 🙏🏻
I'll be honest I never completed any without summoning either lol. Ds1 I played when it first came out and I didn't even know there was summoning at all lol. I managed to past O & S and my PS3 died and I never got to finish. I played it years later when it hit pc but learned of summoning by then and used it for fights that frustrated me. I did the same with all the other games as well. Not an option this time which I actually kinda like...sure I'll rage on some fights I imagine but I'll rage even harder if I don't get to beat the game lol.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
I don't usually buy collector's edition stuff, but man am I glad that I pre-ordered the collector's edition from Gamestop for my Xbox One X as it may be one of the more interesting mix of things for the money that I can recall for such things - https://www.gamestop.com/xbox-one/g...ce-collectors-edition-only-at-gamestop/167276. I guess that I also get a Katana replica letter opener from Gamestop for whatever that is worth, lol. Hyped for this one for sure!

I picked it up for $80 I thought it was so cheap for a CE

Mar 29, 2018
It has to be pointed out though, Tenchu has always had boss fights and a non-stealth combat system. And that was always, by far, the clunkiest part of the games. Maybe Z changed this, i only played until Deadly Shadows.
I thought that while typing my response there. I guess it stands that Sekiro is very similar to Tenchu. It even has a clunkier-than-necessary stealth kill system. Z didn't change it either.

Deadly Shadows? You mean Fatal Shadows? Not Thief: Deadly Shadows, I presume!

Yeah, that's his name
Huh, what an odd choice. I'm interested to see how From handle such a narrative focus.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I thought that while typing my response there. I guess it stands that Sekiro is very similar to Tenchu. It even has a clunkier-than-necessary stealth kill system. Z didn't change it either.

Deadly Shadows? You mean Fatal Shadows? Not Thief: Deadly Shadows, I presume!

Huh, what an odd choice. I'm interested to see how From handle such a narrative focus.

Fatal Shadows, w/e. Should have kept it at Kurenai.

I don't think Sekiro looks clunky in that department. Pretty standard. Sneak up and stab. I don't know how they'd do it any better.

Mar 29, 2018
Fatal Shadows, w/e. Should have kept it at Kurenai.

I don't think Sekiro looks clunky in that department. Pretty standard. Sneak up and stab. I don't know how they'd do it any better.
When I played the demo it was mainly the UI that was clunky. For instance if you're above an enemy or at an odd angle, the indicator that you can stab is an orange orb that floats in their chest. This is the same orb that indicates lock-on AND staggered opponent. It was a really unclear and "fluffy" piece of UI design. Wasn't always clear if you were in the correct "zone" for a stealth kill or you would be and you wouldn't notice it.

Very likely it's changed since I played the demo in August last year, though.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
When I played the demo it was mainly the UI that was clunky. For instance if you're above an enemy or at an odd angle, the indicator that you can stab is an orange orb that floats in their chest. This is the same orb that indicates lock-on AND staggered opponent. It was a really unclear and "fluffy" piece of UI design. Wasn't always clear if you were in the correct "zone" for a stealth kill or you would be and you wouldn't notice it.

Very likely it's changed since I played the demo in August last year, though.
From not having played it, obviously my opinion is moot, but from everything i've seen...

The target lock-on is clearly a white dot. And it turns red to show you can 1-hit ko. Which is why it's the same for staggered and stealth. Because it effectively means the same thing, so why have a separate indicator?

Mar 29, 2018
From not having played it, obviously my opinion is moot, but from everything i've seen...

The target lock-on is clearly a white dot. And it turns red to show you can 1-hit ko. Which is why it's the same for staggered and stealth. Because it effectively means the same thing, so why have a separate indicator?
That'll be it - a white dot when you're locked on, red when you can stealth kill or critical attack or whatever.

What I'm referring to is that "stealth kills" are also displayed by this red dot. So if you're perched up on a branch and an enemy walks below you, a red dot appears on them to signify you can stealth kill. I'm 80% sure this is correct - but if not then the red dot is somewhere else on your UI.

Either way, the demo was absolutely phenomenal, and literally the only criticism I had was that this red dot wasn't a great piece of UI if you were trying to do stealth kills. You'd scamper up behind an enemy and hit Strike when it felt natural but sometimes the red dot wouldn't have quite appeared and you'd enter combat with the enemy.

It wasn't heinous - it was just the only minor design qualm I had with the demo. And, as I said, it's probably been changed.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
When asked how Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice would be enhanced for Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro, producer Andrew Petrie replied that the team was trying to raise the resolution and frame rate. We got a chance to look at the in-game settings and discovered that the title supported high dynamic range (HDR) lighting and an "Adjust Picture Quality" menu. This means that FromSoftware will probably offer the option to experience the game at a high resolution and 30 frames per second (FPS), or play it at a lower resolution for a smooth, 60 FPS experience. Unfortunately, Activision wouldn't comment on this discovery because it wasn't finalized. If this option does make its way into the final build, it's definitely the correct way to implement support for powerful hardware.

At the event, we were only able to test out the PlayStation 4 Pro version of Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. While the frame rate was smooth and the controls were precise, the textures and resolution left a lot to be desired. The game appeared to be running at 1080p and was dotted with many low-resolution objects. Witnessing them was quite jarring to say the least, but given the fact that this was an earlier build, it's understandable why that's the case. Here's hoping that the final assets are much higher resolution to match the stellar gameplay.
https://m.windowscentral.com/sekiro-shadows-die-twice-preview

Probably posted but have no desire to browse through 28 pages to check :p

OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I'm really disappointed with some of the UI decisions in the game and hope to god we are able to tamper with some of them in the settings.

These white circles highlighting interactible items and NPC's are atrocious. I think the grappling point circle tends to jump all over the place way too much as well. The enemy alert markers would have been nice to turn off for immersion (optional).

Us7U74y.jpg

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm really disappointed with some of the UI decisions in the game and hope to god we are able to tamper with some of them in the settings.

These white circles highlighting interactible items and NPC's are atrocious. I think the grappling point circle tends to jump all over the place way too much as well. The enemy alert markers would have been nice to turn off for immersion (optional).

Us7U74y.jpg
Yeah would be cool if we can disable parts of the HUD and whatnot

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
But you can choose to take a more conservative approach in order to not harm the NPCs and change the outcome. In this sense, you absolutely make decisions that can change the narrative.

Except this isn't a pure stealth game. You are forced to fight a lot of enemies and you will often die during said encounters until you've learned enemy patterns and positions. The first time you fight any boss or mini-boss will very likely involve multiple deaths as well.

Dishonored had a Chaos system where killing people would affect the world and make it more dangerous. The difference is that it required a conscious choice by the player and the player had equally viable non-lethal alternatives.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
In Lobos' video, he mentions that individual prosthetic tools have upgrade trees, and that Shuriken tree alone had like 20 nodes

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I wanted a crazy-high amount of bosses in this game and so far it's looking to deliver that in spades! In the brief amount of footage we've been shown since the announcement, we have seen the following bosses:

1). Corrupted Monk
2). Lady Butterfly
3). Great Serpent
4). Great Ape
5). Chained Ogre
6). Gyoubu Masataka Oniwa
7). General Tenzen Yamauchi
8). Leader Shigenori Yamauchi
9). Headless
10). Juzo The Drunkard
11). Long-Arm Centipede Sen'un
12). Armored Warrior
13). Shinobi Hunter Enshin of Misen
14). The Final Boss [we haven't seen it yet, but it's obvious there will be one, so I'm including it for completions sake]

And just think - that's probably only the tip of the iceberg!

Could it be possible that we will see over 50 bosses/mini-bosses in Sekiro?!?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted a crazy-high amount of bosses in this game and so far it's looking to deliver that in spades! In the brief amount of footage we've been shown since the announcement, we have seen the following bosses:

1). Corrupted Monk
2). Lady Butterfly
3). Great Serpent
4). Great Ape
5). Chained Ogre
9). Headless
10). Juzo The Drunkard
12). Armored Warrior
14). The Final Boss [we haven't seen it yet, but it's obvious there will be one, so I'm including it for completions sake]

Some of those seem to be more like mini-bosses, since you can just run away from them

I imagine some of those become regular enemies too after your initial mini-boss fight with them

Oct 25, 2017

1). Corrupted Monk
2). Lady Butterfly
3). Great Serpent
4). Great Ape
5). Chained Ogre
9). Headless
10). Juzo The Drunkard
12). Armored Warrior

Maybe if you're counting, like, "slightly bigger guy with sword" as a mini-boss.

Jul 20, 2018

1). Corrupted Monk
2). Lady Butterfly
3). Great Serpent
4). Great Ape
5). Chained Ogre
9). Headless
10). Juzo The Drunkard
12). Armored Warrior

What if there's not a final boss though?

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Some of those seem to be more like mini-bosses, since you can just run away from them

I imagine some of those become regular enemies too after your initial mini-boss fight with them
Maybe if you're counting, like, "slightly bigger guy with sword" as a mini-boss.
To me a boss is a boss - any unique enemy with it's own named health bar is a boss to me, so I lumped them all together.

And that is a huge pet peeve of mine - when mini-bosses become regular enemies down the line. I hope Sekiro strays away from that with variety.

Jul 20, 2018
To me a boss is a boss - any unique enemy with it's own named health bar is a boss to me, so I lumped them all together.

And that is a huge pet peeve of mine - when mini-bosses become regular enemies down the line. I hope Sekiro strays away from that with variety.

I doubt we won't see more ogres, or Samurai with the same moveset but different names. Could be wrong though.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul

Us7U74y.jpg
Yeah I feel like the UI gives way too much info. I hope we're can toggle some things

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
? They called it a rumor, and there is no such thing as a rumor. Just one (lovely) person writing in every Sekiro thread that FROM doesnt want to spoiler the second half because they got Ito, in a jokingly manner.

IF it happens I'll lose my shit, write Miyazaki a love letter and get a restraining order in return.

It probably won't happen though.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Everything about this games looks exactly like what I'd imagine a samurai-Souls game to be.

My only issue so far is that the few environments we've seen so far don't appear to be that varied. I really hope this changes as the game progresses, but other than that, goddamn my hype is through the roof for this game.

Last edited:

lucentcrowe

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
Increase in amount of spoken dialogue, streamlining out the cheese builds and multiplayer that allowed trivialization of the game's challenges, and increase in difficulty.

Feels good to be catered to for once! Uncontested GOTY.

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
Everything about this games looks exactly like what I'd imagine a samurai-Souls game to be.

My only issue so far is that the few environments we've seen so far don't appear to be that varied. I really hope this changes as the game progresses, but other than, goddamn my hype is through the roof for this game.

Oooh I'm so hoping it's the same scenario as with BB - where at first it all appears to be set in that Yharnam-esque environment only for it to go off the raild later.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone get some Furi vibes with the poise system? The consistent parrying reminds me of the fights in that game.

God I would kill for a Fromsoft bossrush game.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Oooh I'm so hoping it's the same scenario as with BB - where at first it all appears to be set in that Yharnam-esque environment only for it to go off the raild later.

Aye, I'm hoping for exactly the same. Considering its setting, it doesn't need to turn into something as grandiose as the cosmic horror introduced in Bloodborne, but just something that explores themes, environments and enemies as the game progresses that are unexpected for players just expecting a simple tale of revenge set in feudal Japan.

It would so great if this happens, and judging from the very first teaser of the game and so many of the elements they're introducing its really possible. It's possibly also why they've been so mum about showing any footage beyond the first 2-3 hours of the game.

Either way, I fully believe in From to deliver the best results of whatever it is they set out to do. This game is going to be GOOD thats for sure.

Jul 20, 2018
How spoilerous are the previews? I want to go in blind, but at the same time wouldn't mind a delicious tease

We've hardly seen anything not shown in the first two trailers. Just a few normal enemies and NPCs, and one miniboss we haven't seen at all yet (and only one preview I've seen shows him). Otherwise, closer looks at stuff we've seen.

It appears that previewers only got to one proper boss, and it's one we've seen before.

There are some spoilers on plot stuff and mechanics, but it's all early game stuff.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
We've hardly seen anything not shown in the first two trailers. Just a few normal enemies and NPCs, and one miniboss we haven't seen at all yet (and only one preview I've seen shows him). Otherwise, closer looks at stuff we've seen.

It appears that previewers only got to one proper boss, and it's one we've seen before.

There are some spoilers on plot stuff and mechanics, but it's all early game stuff.
Two bosses. The Samurai on a horse is considered a real boss.