• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
but it still takes somewhat quick reflexes and accurate timing to be good at it.

Just remember. No matter how fast your reflexes are, you can't do anything if you're stuck in the attack animation. Things won't register until the animation is done. Or you can jam the button too fast and ended up queueing up the next move and once again locking you out from reacting to the enemy.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I got stuck at The Genichiro fight and put the game down around 6/7 months ago. I'm afraid that even if i were to pick it up I'd be so lost in what I did or what I need to do I wouldn't know where to begin.

www.resetera.com

Sekiro's Combat Explained - Fight your impulses, not the controls.

I've made a couple of posts explaining the combat, but they're buried either in the OT or someone else's thread. I watched a lot of videos that explain the combat, but none of them really hits the mark. The people making these videos are very skilled and know the combat very well, but they don't...

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Has anyone here played Sifu by any chance? I saw some footage the other day and the moment-to-moment combat reminded me of Sekiro. I know the game structure is very different, but are they as similar as they seem. in terms of the parrying/attacking rhythm you can find?

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
Has anyone here played Sifu by any chance? I saw some footage the other day and the moment-to-moment combat reminded me of Sekiro. I know the game structure is very different, but are they as similar as they seem. in terms of the parrying/attacking rhythm you can find?

They are not similar at all, IMO.

Sekiro's combat is more polished and flows much better, IMO.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
K I'm back in. I decided to not restart Sekiro (I already started it once when I got stomped at launch). I practiced on the dead dude for a bit, then went to Senpou temple to farm the monks just to get my skills back up and get good at counter and dodging. God I keep fucking up my mikiri counter to where I side dodge instead of counter. So right now my biggest issue is beating the Genichiro Rematch. It's gonna take me a while to get the youngblood pumping in my veins to actually take him on..so I'm kinda down to just run around what I unlocked and exploring..so My question is how powered up should I be for this fight? What skills should I farm for. How much health and how strong should I be? I don't remember what I picked up or missed so If I have a general idea what I need unlocked I can look through a guide to see what I missed. (I havent played this game in 8 or so months)

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
K I'm back in. I decided to not restart Sekiro (I already started it once when I got stomped at launch). I practiced on the dead dude for a bit, then went to Senpou temple to farm the monks just to get my skills back up and get good at counter and dodging. God I keep fucking up my mikiri counter to where I side dodge instead of counter. So right now my biggest issue is beating the Genichiro Rematch. It's gonna take me a while to get the youngblood pumping in my veins to actually take him on..so I'm kinda down to just run around what I unlocked and exploring..so My question is how powered up should I be for this fight? What skills should I farm for. How much health and how strong should I be? I don't remember what I picked up or missed so If I have a general idea what I need unlocked I can look through a guide to see what I missed. (I havent played this game in 8 or so months)

Ok, first of all, what are you using Hanbei to practice on? If you're just practicing regular skills like mikiri, that's fine. If you're practicing combat, I recommend going to the Antechamber in Ashina castle. Right up the stairs is a blue robe guy all by himself close to the save point. Fight him and practice when to stop pressing the attack button. Normally, if you swing your sword at blue boy, he'll block twice and then parry you. So watch and listen to the sound of getting parried. When you stagger your button presses, it gives you the chance to react. Once you see him parry you, that is your cue to parry him back, because you won't be able to recover your sword speed in time for another hit. The enemies with tight defenses will parry you. This includes bosses. Clashing swords like this makes the enemy's attacks more predictable because they're guarding against your strikes, and their only way out is by parrying you. Once someone is successfully parried, the other person is open to a direct attack most of the time. Practice on the blue robe guy as many times as you need.

Now, with Genichiro, his fighting style is the same. Very tight defense with very few openings for direct HP damage.

First tip is he ALWAYS opens up the fight by shooting an arrow at you and then rolling up to slash you. Deflect his arrow and strike him as he rolls. This cancels out his attack.

In phase 1, after his jump attack, he has a 90% chance of trusting, so you mikiri. In the second phase after his jump attack, he has a 90% chance of a sweep attack, so jump stomp his head. He does sometimes switch it up. Check the link I posted earlier showing you how to tell if it's a thrust or a sweep when they do the perilous attacks.

He always begins the 3rd phase with a new jump strike. Just mikiri counter him. Also, this move is hilariously abusable. If you heal or use any consumables, he'll use that attack. You have just enough time to mikiri him after your animation finishes.

I'll do a rundown of my fight. Keep in mind your fight won't play out the same except for a few moves where the combo is always the same.

Ignore the sugar I used. That was me just trying to win as fast as possible. But you'll notice despite using the sugar, I had more than enough time to just parry his arrow and then attack him in his roll.

Notice from then to the 8 second mark, we are just exchanging sword strikes with neither landing any hits on each other. Notice Genichiro parries my attack every other hit.

I was able to respond to Genichiro's jump strike in because I was staggering my button presses. It's hard to tell when the swords are clashing, but if you watch carefully, you'll notice I'm just standing there waiting for him to land his jump attack. After parrying, I also just observed his next move and saw it was a thrust attack, and I mikiri countered. Again, during both of these moves, I wasn't doing anything besides parrying/mikiri when needed.

He was open to a direct hit after I mikiri. We do another quick sword exchange with Genichiro. Around the 13 second mark, he parried my strike again and I just watched his next move. I saw him back away and knew the arrows were coming. This of course does require practice to know what's coming. But even without practice, if you're not attacking wildly, there's a better chance of being able to react and protect yourself.

After that, you'll see another quick clash of swords followed by another jump attack and mikiri counter. Once again, I was able to land a hit after the mikiri. One more quick clash of swords, and again, I watched his moves and knew he was backing up for another arrow attack. I knew I could get him before he fires his arrows and quickly ended the 1st phase.

Second phase started with more of the same. The only difference is I landed 2 direct hits early in the fight. All that time I knew I could continue to swing my sword at him because he never parried my attack, so the fight wasn't the same 1, 2, exchange of sword clashes.

After avoiding his perilous sweep attack, he did a series of attacks starting at the 40 second mark. Notice I parried his 1st two hits and even scored a direct hit after that. His combo has a break after the first 2 hits. If you're low on health, you can actually use that time to escape from the combo and run around him, or run away to heal. He's stuck in that move until it's done. It has a very limited range and slow movement when doing this combo. So you have options when he does that. Keep in mind if you're too far away, he ended the combo with another arrow attack. I parried everything and ended the fight.

Third phase starts with the super abusable jump thrust attack. You'll also notice Genichiro isn't parrying me as much in this phase. I landed more direct hits on him. Ignore the swirling jump attack I used, you can deflect the lightning back at him by jumping and letting the lightning hit you, then send it back at him. Also notice I reacted to him without him even though he wasn't parrying me when he does the first lightning attack. I didn't mash the attack button, so it gave me a chance to react. At around 1:11, I keep landing a string of two sword swings and always catching him open to land the direct hits. The final hit he struck back with a perilous thrust, I was ready again because I wasn't spamming the attack button.

Last edited:

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
Ok, first of all, what are you using Hanbei to practice on? If you're just practicing regular skills like mikiri, that's fine. If you're practicing combat, I recommend going to the Antechamber in Ashina castle. Right up the stairs is a blue robe guy all by himself close to the save point. Fight him and practice when to stop pressing the attack button. Normally, if you swing your sword at blue boy, he'll block twice and then parry you. So watch and listen to the sound of getting parried. When you stagger your button presses, it gives you the chance to react. Once you see him parry you, that is your cue to parry him back, because you won't be able to recover your sword speed in time for another hit. The enemies with tight defenses will parry you. This includes bosses. Clashing swords like this makes the enemy's attacks more predictable because they're guarding against your strikes, and their only way how is by parrying you. Once someone is successfully parried, the other person is open to a direct attack most of the time. Practice on the blue robe guy as many times as you need.

Now, with Genichiro, his fighting style is the same. Very tight defense with very few openings for direct HP damage.

First tip is he ALWAYS opens up the fight by shooting an arrow at you and then rolling up to slash you. Deflect his arrow and strike him as he rolls. This cancels out his attack.

In phase 1, after his jump attack, he has a 90% chance of trusting, so you mikiri. In the second phase after his jump attack, he has a 90% chance of a sweep attack, so jump stomp his head. He does sometimes switch it up. Check the link I posted earlier showing you how to tell if it's a thrust or a sweep when they do the perilous attacks.

He always begins the 3rd phase with a new jump strike. Just mikiri counter him. Also, this move is hilariously abusable. If you heal or use any consumables, he'll use that attack. You have just enough time to mikiri him after your animation finishes.

I'll do a rundown of my fight. Keep in mind your fight won't play out the same except for a few moves where the combo is always the same.

Ignore the sugar I used. That was me just trying to win as fast as possible. But you'll notice despite using the sugar, I had more than enough time to just parry his arrow and then attack him in his roll.

Notice from then to the 8 second mark, we are just exchanging sword strikes with neither landing any hits on each other. Notice Genichiro parries my attack every other hit.

I was able to respond to Genichiro's jump strike in because I was staggering my button presses. It's hard to tell when the swords are clashing, but if you watch carefully, you'll notice I'm just standing there waiting for him to land his jump attack. After parrying, I also just observed his next move and saw it was a thrust attack, and I mikiri countered. Again, during both of these moves, I wasn't doing anything besides parrying/mikiri when needed.

He was open to a direct hit after I mikiri. We do another quick sword exchange and Genichiro. Around the 13 second mark, he parried my strike again and I just watched his next move. I saw he backed up and knew the arrows were coming. This of course does require practice to know what's coming. But even without practice, if you're not attacking wildly, there's a better chance of being able to protect yourself.

After that, you'll see another quick clash of swords followed by another jump attack and mikiri counter. Once again, I was able to land a hit after the mikiri. One more quick clash of swords, and again, I watched his move and knew what he was doing, and also knew I could get him before he fires his arrows and quickly ended the 1st phase.

Second phase started with more of the same. The only difference is I landed 2 direct hits early in the fight. All that time I knew I count continue to swing my sword at him because he never parried my attack.

After avoiding his sweep, he did a series of attacks starting at the 40 second mark. Notice I parried his 1st two hits and even scored a direct hit after that. His combo has a break after the first 2 hits. If you're low on health, you can actually use that time to escape from the combo and run around him, or run away to heal. He's stuck in that move until it's done. So you have options when he does that. I parried everything and ended the fight.

Third phase starts with the super abusable jump thrust attack. You'll also notice Genichiro isn't parrying me as much in this phase. I landed more direct hits on him. Ignore the swirling jump attack I used, you can deflect the lightning back at him by jumping and letting the lightning hit you, then send it back at him. Also notice I reacted to him without him parrying me when he does the first lightning attack. I didn't mash the attack button, so it gave me a chance to react. At around 1:11, I keep landing a string of two sword swings and always catching him open to land the direct hits. The final hit he struck back with a thrust, I was ready again because I wasn't spamming the attack button.

hell yes. Thank you so much for this!!! Hoping to hit this tonight after I watch Doctor Strange..or at least go practice to the Antechamber to get my skills up. When fighting Hanbei I was practicing every option available to me

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
hell yes. Thank you so much for this!!! Hoping to hit this tonight after I watch Doctor Strange..or at least go practice to the Antechamber to get my skills up. When fighting Hanbei I was practicing every option available to me

You can do it!

I also fixed my weird grammar errors and typos in the original post. I even clarified some bits to help you, so check the original post.

Last edited:

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
You can do it!

I also fixed my weird grammar errors and typos in the original post. I even clarified some bits to help you, so check the original post.
Holy shit your guide worked. I NEVER KNEW THERE WAS A SOUND WHEN THEY WERE GONNA COUNTER ATTACK WHAT THE FUCK. You just Neo'd i know confued me with this shit. Instead if dodging i just focused on the pattern and the perry and stayed calm. Also i smoked a ton of weed so that probably helped.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit your guide worked. I NEVER KNEW THERE WAS A SOUND WHEN THEY WERE GONNA COUNTER ATTACK WHAT THE FUCK. You just Neo'd i know confued me with this shit. Instead if dodging i just focused on the pattern and the perry and stayed calm. Also i smoked a ton of weed so that probably helped.

It's the same sound as when you deflect their attacks. Same orange spark animation as well.

Keep in mind this doesn't work for all bosses. Not all the fights are like this. Other fights are slightly more traditional in that you wait for an opening and do direct damage to their health instead of a clash of swords.

Some battles also require more careful positioning around the arena cause getting up against the wall can fuck up the camera.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
Man. Every time I start getting good and feeling like I got a handle of this game and feel like a bad ass, something happens where I get so stomped that my ego deflates and i totally forget how to play, lol.

So! I beat Guardian ape and only took me..like 8 tries! I was very proud of myself. Then headless Ape only took me 2 tries.. Then I met the fucking Headless miniboss and just get constantly destroy. So I go fuck this and head to Mibu..then I met O'Rin of the Water. Jesus fudge. I'll get them..sooner or later. But I've never had so many ups and down in a From Soft game in my life. I will say, Sekiro is slowly raising the ranks one of my top From Games. It's crazy how precise these fights need to be compared to other From Games...I actually like it. I like the pattern and rhythm learning and I like the narrative. Elden Ring is still Goat for me (followed by Demon) but..I would love another From Game like Sekiro.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Man. Every time I start getting good and feeling like I got a handle of this game and feel like a bad ass, something happens where I get so stomped that my ego deflates and i totally forget how to play, lol.

So! I beat Guardian ape and only took me..like 8 tries! I was very proud of myself. Then headless Ape only took me 2 tries.. Then I met the fucking Headless miniboss and just get constantly destroy. So I go fuck this and head to Mibu..then I met O'Rin of the Water. Jesus fudge. I'll get them..sooner or later. But I've never had so many ups and down in a From Soft game in my life. I will say, Sekiro is slowly raising the ranks one of my top From Games. It's crazy how precise these fights need to be compared to other From Games...I actually like it. I like the pattern and rhythm learning and I like the narrative. Elden Ring is still Goat for me (followed by Demon) but..I would love another From Game like Sekiro.

O'Rin is more of a defensive fight than offensive. A lot of times your sword just passes right through her without any sword clashes. You can have sword clashes with her like other bosses, it's just that it's hard to judge when she's invincible, and when she's not. She almost always does a perilous sweep after her long combo. Just jump it.

Deku_o4a

Oct 27, 2017
Charmless O'Rin is hell. One of the hardest fights in the game.

Just beat the Sword Saint charmless after 1 and a half hours of grinding. An amazing fight, just like I remember the 1st time fighting him.
Charmless didn't make him that much harder. I expected worse like Great Shinobi Owl, who is a whole different beast without Kuro's charm.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
Woooo! Beat her! Used Cow's tip on hopping on her head after her long ass combo. It took me maybe 5 tries. Then beat the big fat Tall ghost dude second try..he wasn't too bad. Right now getting the courage to go fight Headless.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I'm considering this. Might be library piled. But I keep hearing about how good it is..
It is the best game From Software has ever made and an overall masterpiece. The only game aside form Final Fantasy 12 where I've gotten every achievement across two different platforms.

If you're planning on playing it on PC, you can run it at 120/144fps flawlessly with a mod too.

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
Yeah, I go back and forth between this and Bloodborne as my all time favorite FROM game.
It's definitely worth giving a try.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
Beast of Hatred down. (I cheesed it. I'm sorry. I'm so fucking exhausted) so basically all i have left is the end game. What a ride. I never thought i would be able to beat this game but its getting close. This game has been a masterpiece but also...one of the most physically and mentally exhausting games I've ever played. I'm glad I'm about to finish it and I'm glad i "got gud" but I'm so tired and ready to be done

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Make sure you read the guide I wrote. That'll help explain stuff not explained in the game.

I may. I was doing well until some Shinobi in a memory.

Not sure why the Hirata Estate guard have so much problem. Normally I can counter well in games, but his thrust timing kept destroying me m eventually I got the Mikiri counter to work.

Last edited:

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I may. I was doing well until some Shinobi in a memory.

Not sure why the Hirata Estate guard have so much problem. Normally I can counter well in games, but his thrust timing kept destroying me m eventually I got the Mikiri counter to work.

What's funny is I think the timing for the Shinobi Hunter's thrust is a little different from all the other characters in the game. I know when I started, I practiced a ton on Hanbei. Once you face the Shinobi Hunter, the timing you learned from Hanbei just doesn't work.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
God this last boss(es) fight is......exhausting. I'm so close. I still haven't been able to beat Isshin's first phase but already I'm tired of fighting Genichiro

Edit: omfg why does he have a gun. Where did he get a gun. I wanna die. (I'm slowly getting better though, lol)

Last edited:

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
God this last boss(es) fight is......exhausting. I'm so close. I still haven't been able to beat Isshin's first phase but already I'm tired of fighting Genichiro

Edit: omfg why does he have a gun. Where did he get a gun. I wanna die. (I'm slowly getting better though, lol)

The gun only comes out when he leaps back, or when he's running towards you.

I've been stuck on this purple guy near feather tool for an hour. Got one or two counters away from defeating them..

This guy is completely optional. Don't bother with him, just run away. You'll face more later anyway. There's also a much better place to practice fighting him when you arrive at Mibu Village.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Does he drop anything? Should I just do the fat drunk, and is the npc able to be saved.

He doesn't drop anything as I recall. Plus, you can come back and fight him later if you want. Go after drunk boy. You can double-team him with the NPC. The fight's a total breeze.

The biggest mistake I see with people is that in these fights, they don't clear out the mobs before taking on the boss. Clear the mobs. You will aggro the boss. Just run away. Then come back and finish the other guys. Plus, aggroing him actually allows you the chance to backstab him making the fight even easier. Once you backstab him, run to the NPC and trigger him to fight alongside you.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
I almost got the drunk down. If those odd the first boss I'm screwed. He's not too hard to read, but taking out all his guards is annoying.

Beat him down. Almost got his posture to break. Used the npc as distraction and got his health to zero with some thrust.

Last edited:

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I almost got the drunk down. If those odd the first boss I'm screwed. He's not too hard to read, but taking out all his guards is annoying.

Beat him down. Almost got his posture to break. Used the npc as distraction and got his health to zero with some thrust.
Are you stealthing him for the first hit? I usually take out his minions and then run away until his aggro goes, then sneak up for the free first critical. Save the NPC to help with the second critical.

Also, not sure if you meant that about getting his health to zero, but that's not often the best way to defeat most bosses in this game - filling the posture bar should be your focus - at full health the posture bar will empty very quickly, but once you've dealt some damage it will deplet much slower, so get a boss to about two-thirds or half health and then concentrate on building posture bar for a quicker kill. There are some exceptions, but most bosses are about posture not health.

Also, also - if you're having trouble with one boss, there's often another path you can go which might be a bit easier, letting you level a little and come back to that troublesome boss but now you're more able to handle them.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
You could also go in from the side of the pond, which should allow you to take out the enemies in the side-house quietly and then run in from the side to kill one or two of the guards in the central area. It should also automatically "call in" your friend.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
I took them all out head on. Npc died but I beat the drunk.

Went back to another idol and found another areas I had missed with a zombie guy. Then I found a huge serpent. But then internet died and I got kicked.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
That's the right way. Sekiro has a few branching paths, none are wrong you can explore whatever you find when you find it - but it's pretty linear overall.

Oct 29, 2017
Funny replaying this after they added messages, it made me finally discover after like four runs that there's a way out of the god serpent cavern with the dried out viscera lol which made me finally discover from where you get that out of reach place in sunken valley

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
And I think I screwed myself with rot. I was just getting murdered left and right with no regard.

I have three rot, and I'm not sure if I met 2 of the npc? sculptor, timid maid, fine son. how bad is that?

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
The rot stuff is not as bad as it seems. You should use the item to clear it if you want to "work" on some npc quests, otherwise it doesn't affect the game that much.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
I am now stuck between a blazing bull and lady butterfly. I got another rot in my unseen aid is dropping. I left the bull and started on lady butterfly and I can almost perfect her half the time on the first phase. But the second phase is tough and the snap things don't seem to do anything and I think I have zero now.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
Okay. I can now regularly get yo Issan's 2nd stupid form consistently with only using 2 or 3 healing jugs..but man I've fought him at least 25+ times now. When i beat him will i be able to beat any fromsoft boss now? (Currently using double ichimonji)

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I am now stuck between a blazing bull and lady butterfly. I got another rot in my unseen aid is dropping. I left the bull and started on lady butterfly and I can almost perfect her half the time on the first phase. But the second phase is tough and the snap things don't seem to do anything and I think I have zero now.

Blazing bull is hilariously easy.

Just watch this video. I swear to god it'll become one of the game's easiest bosses.

Once you beat the bull, explore some more. Maybe fill out another prayer bead to increase your health before tackling Lady Butterfly.

When you fight Lady Butterfly, equip shurikens. You don't need snap seeds.

A lot of the concepts I explained about fighting Genichiro apply to Lady Butterfly. Strike her 2 or 3 times, and she'll deflect your attack. Once you hear her deflect your attack, that is your cue to deflect her attack. She alternates between 2 hits deflect and 3 hits deflect. Remember not to spam the attack button, pay attention to the animation and sound and you'll be fine. If the animation is hard to judge, the loud deflect sound will clue you in that you got deflected.

During this back and forth, note that sometimes she'll strike with a perilous sweep. Jump that. The perilous sweep will always come after you deflected her counterattack. There is just enough time for a single direct hit on her HP, and then you'll have to jump.

When Lady Butterfly jumps up the wires, I would recommend backing away. This is to help the camera from losing track of her as she jumps behind you. Remember not to spam your attack button. You can counter her with shurikens. But only throw it at her when she does a backflip or jumps forward. Otherwise, she'll block it. She also has a perilous grab attack when she jumps from the wires. That can be countered with the shurikens. She has a triangle jump attack. That can be countered with the shurikens. If you don't spam your attack, you'll have time to react. Watch her movement.

Just master the 2 or 3 strikes then deflect and know when to jump her perilous sweep and you'll be fine.

The second phase is similar. You'll still be doing the 2 or 3 hit strike back and forth. What's different is the new illusions and the long combo.

You can avoid the illusion by stalling her. I just run around the arena until she turns them into butterflies. Continue to run, or find a pillar to hide behind. The butterflies can't pass the pillar. When you're running around, remember to lock on so you can see what she's doing. You don't want to run around blind.

The next dangerous move is her long combo. She'll do a spin jump attack towards you while 2 butterflies appear behind her. The butterflies will reach you first, I heard they can be deflected, but I never mastered the timing. They can go through your defense, but they do really minor damage. As soon as the butterflies land, she'll charge at you with 6 quick strikes. After the 6 strikes, she'll pause and do another perilous sweep. Jump that.

Here's a break down of my run.

Lady Butterfly can start the fight in various ways, including launching flying daggers right from the start. She charged at me instead. I wasn't sure what was going to happen, so I hesitated and went on the defensive.

We then immediately went on a sword clash. She deflected me after 2 strikes. I deflected her back and landed one strike. After that strike, I saw the warning for the perilous sweep and I jumped on her head to counter. The timing of this attack is always the same, meaning it'll always happen after you deflected her and you'll always be able to land a single strike before needing to jump. Again, I was able to react because I wasn't spamming attack. If I was, I wouldn't be able to jump in time. That's why you gotta learn to control your button presses.

After countering that, we do another 2 rounds of weapon clashes. This time after the second round, she does the triangle jump. I countered with shurikens. Again, I wasn't spamming the attack button so I could react. You'll also notice I was backing away to give myself and the camera a little room.

Another weapon clash exchange, then she jumps again. This time I was slow and the shuriken didn't hit, but that's fine. I was also busy backing away to try and keep the camera locked on her. When she jumps behind, you can lose the lock on, that's why I prioritized the camera first.

I tried to hit her as she lands, but she was too far and jumped over me. This time she used the perilous grab. I was ready for her. Again, I was able to react in time cause I wasn't spamming the attack. I will keep saying this until people understand this concept in Sekiro.

I knock her off her grab move and we exchange a few more rounds of weapon clash. I even managed a few direct hits to her HP. You'll notice a lot of our attacks don't directly damage each other's health. That's fine. Don't fret about not getting too many direct hits in. I also counter another perilous sweep after our first round at the 28-second mark.

At around the 34-second mark, she jumped back and shot daggers at me. I didn't know that was going to happen. I was able to defend following the exact same logic as when we were clashing weapons. When she deflected me, I knew she would strike back one way or another.

After the dagger throw, I watched her. I saw she was jumping on the wires, but I didn't do anything. I waited until she moved again before throwing my shurikens. People say to be aggressive, or hesitation is defeat. It doesn't really sum up the combat. Our constantly clashing weapons are the aggressive part. Hesitation is defeat for the enemy. I hesitated to watch her moves, and she was defeated.

After knocking her down, we exchange another 2 rounds and I broke her posture.

Phase 2 starts with me waiting for her at her landing spot.

More weapon clashes, you should be familiar with it by now.

The 1:15-second mark is when she summons the illusions. I was hoping to stop her from summoning illusions, but I failed. That's why I ran away. I kept moving just to avoid the illusions and the possibility of her throwing daggers at me, which she did. The pillar will block the daggers too.

Notice that after I avoided all her butterflies, I actually kept swinging my sword and ignoring the 2/3 hit rule. That's because this rule only counts if she blocks your hits. If she doesn't block, it doesn't count. Once she blocked my attacks 3x then she jumped onto the wires.

Again, I back away first hoping not to lose track of her. After I counter her, I strike 5x because the string was broken when she took a sword to the face at the second hit.

The rest is stuff you've seen before.

I mess up at 2:10 taking my only direct hit, not counting the butterflies going through my defense. After that, this is the long combo. I ignore the butterflies and focused on her direct hits. The 7th hit comes a second later, I counter by jumping her again. Then I was able to end the fight with another short weapon clash.

My video and my guide only cover one possibility and she does have more moves not seen in the video. The thing is if you're constantly putting pressure on her by clashing weapons, she won't be able to use some of her other moves, because she is busy blocking and countering you. That's what it means to be aggressive. Force these weapon clashes so they can't use some of their other moves. It's even possible to stop her from summoning the illusions if you can force her into weapon clashes in the second round without giving her any breathing room. I've done it.

Last edited:

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I will check it out.

When you keep deflecting back and forth it's exhilarating.

You got it! You understand the concept of how this works. Just some practice and you'll be fine.

I learned this from fighting Lady Butterfly. I just didn't understand it, and I mashed the attack button. I noticed it got her into a certain pattern. I also noticed that during the weapon clashes, my swing was slower because my arms were further away and I end up getting hit. I didn't even notice the orange deflect spark or the sound. I just noticed every few hits, my attack animation is slower and I get hit. So I decided that instead of attacking, I should block or deflect during that time. That inconsistency with my arms was what tipped me off.

One thing I want to note. I don't like to do the running attack. If you watch my fight, you'll notice I rarely run. I find the spin attack you do while running is slower, and I hate it.

Oct 29, 2017
Well, finished the game once again! Think it was the 6th or 7th time... While I was rusty I thought it would be way worse, defeated most stuff on my first time including things like Owl(Father) and the final boss. I did the severance and divine heir gauntlets too and was confused that the shura wasn't there until I remembered that you gotta fight the bosses that compose the gauntlet...

Anyway, fantastic game still fantastic!

Thought about getting the platinum since I only need the skills trophy and... that grind is too much don't think I'll ever bother lol

I like the "status flasks", it would be cool if they came back