• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Good work! I only went back to defeat Juzo much much later, so you should feel proud about that. Though I did appreciate the hour or so I spent just bashing against the enemies before him before I gave up and went back to the Ogre; that's when how to fight properly actually clicked for me, as I'd been playing very defensively without properly committing to deflecting. That stretch of enemies is how I learned to be aggressive while not hesitating to deflect.

And yeah, dodging/sprinting is always good to keep in mind. I probably lean on it over jumping a little too often, admittedly, but in general you don't always want to do a full jump when you can be more purposeful with your escape instead, as wandering described.

Whiskeyjack

Oct 27, 2017
The game is finally on sale. Did they ever improve the X1X version ? I got both 4k consoles, but none of them seemed to have good performance for the game at launch. Which one runs better now ?

Oct 27, 2017
Tempted to grab this on sale. I'm slightly apprehensive about no summoning though. I've beaten both Dark Souls and Bloodborne recently but on both occasions I summed help for some boss fights.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
And got the platinum after over 80 hours of play. The last grind for the skill points wasn't as bad as I expected. Didn't even need an hour on ng4+ grinding ashina outskirts. Made +20k xp per run.
Now I will put the game to rest and hope for some dlc announcement at E3.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so stuck

The headless and shichien warrior are too tough for me

Fought Genichiro but couldnt make it past his later stage

I could explore the temple but feel I could do those ones I mentioned first.

Thought about trying to fight snake eyes and it didn't make sense to me either

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm so stuck

The headless and shichien warrior are too tough for me

Fought Genichiro but couldnt make it past his later stage

I could explore the temple but feel I could do those ones I mentioned first.

Thought about trying to fight snake eyes and it didn't make sense to me either
Headless and Shichen can be left until later. You must use Divine Confetti unless you want a really hard time - so it's worth waiting until you can buy it (late game) or at least farm it. It's also worth getting the Purple Gourd for the terror build-up, when you get to the place you can buy that, I'd say try again with the first Headless. If you have the anti-air deathblow skill it can really help with the Shichen warriors.

My strat for the Shichen is to go in with divine cofetti and just go ham until they teleport. Don't run straight to where they will be but stay mid-distance so that they use the beam, deflect that or use the purple umbrella, then run to them and mash R1 again until they teleport. Rinse and repeat. This way I never see the huge orbs they summon.

Snake Eyes I had trouble with initially but if you just stay on them and deflect their attacks - they can all be deflected even the gun shots and grab, but for simplicity I dodge the gun shots and grab and just deflect the attacks. They can both be made easier with a stealth deathblow, I would use a Gachin sugar if you're having trouble getting to them without them noticing - especially the swamp one. The other one I approach from behind (Gun Fort idol).

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Senpou Temple was surprisingly easy for me; probably the area where I had the least trouble so far. The Folding Screen Monkeys fight was kind of cool, but I wish there was more to it. Also, the Divine Child of Rejuvenation is absolutely adorable and I want to protect her and Kuro.

Sunken Valley gave me a little more trouble though, I hate guns, I hate the monkeys, and I hate those weird wall guys in the Serpent's cave. Still gotta do the Guardian Ape but I'm putting it off because I've heard about how much of a pain it is. Also, hilarious to see the janky animations on that giant pack of monkeys

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
wPgHZKd.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Headless and Shichen can be left until later. You must use Divine Confetti unless you want a really hard time - so it's worth waiting until you can buy it (late game) or at least farm it. It's also worth getting the Purple Gourd for the terror build-up, when you get to the place you can buy that, I'd say try again with the first Headless. If you have the anti-air deathblow skill it can really help with the Shichen warriors.

My strat for the Shichen is to go in with divine cofetti and just go ham until they teleport. Don't run straight to where they will be but stay mid-distance so that they use the beam, deflect that or use the purple umbrella, then run to them and mash R1 again until they teleport. Rinse and repeat. This way I never see the huge orbs they summon.

Snake Eyes I had trouble with initially but if you just stay on them and deflect their attacks - they can all be deflected even the gun shots and grab, but for simplicity I dodge the gun shots and grab and just deflect the attacks. They can both be made easier with a stealth deathblow, I would use a Gachin sugar if you're having trouble getting to them without them noticing - especially the swamp one. The other one I approach from behind (Gun Fort idol).

Thanks four your thoughts. I have most of the items you mentioned save purple gourd...God does this mean it's really just git gud at this point? I was getting frustrated at fighting headless because it's so item heavy with divine confetti and pacifying agent.

Always good to know there are other prosthetics to try too.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow lady
butterfly
is such a BS fight. So i thought I finally beat her after like 20 tries and she has a second form.
'

I am also getting wrecked by the seven spears dude. He kills me in two hits and mikiri counter isnt possible on him.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, decided to do another run to finish in a day just for fun, and I managed. Purification ending, got to Lady Butterfly with 12 attack power, it was crazy, lmao.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks four your thoughts. I have most of the items you mentioned save purple gourd...God does this mean it's really just git gud at this point? I was getting frustrated at fighting headless because it's so item heavy with divine confetti and pacifying agent.

Always good to know there are other prosthetics to try too.

The Headless are more of an endgame stat check, from what I've heard, it's fine to just skip it for now.

Wow lady
butterfly
is such a BS fight. So i thought I finally beat her after like 20 tries and she has a second form.
'

I am also getting wrecked by the seven spears dude. He kills me in two hits and mikiri counter isnt possible on him.

Seven Spears can definitely be Mikiri countered, just make sure you move the analog stick towards him as you press the button.

Oct 25, 2017
New game? Two hits and her posture was probably broken lol 😂
Yeah, without any of the modifiers too, just wanted a chill playthrough.

Used Confetti and Yashariku too. Felt bad for her, hahaha.

I'm starting to actually think that the final boss is From's hardest boss yet, by the way, just because of how consistently difficult he is. On my first playthrough I thought that Friede for example was way harder, but after my first time fighting Friede she's kind of free, but Glock Saint still killed me twice in this run, even after fighting him I don't even remember how many times.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just spent a good about of time getting kicked to death by some purple asshole before realizing what thrust and sweep attacks are.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont like how I feel so weak. Every boss i played can kill you in a swipe while I hardly do a dent on them when I hit.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I dont like how I feel so weak. Every boss i played can kill you in a swipe while I hardly do a dent on them when I hit.
Are you using the memories you get from defeating bosses? From the idol menu. It increases your attack power. Your HP and posture bar increase by killing mini-bosses and getting prayer beads.

The game is challenging no doubt, but it's not always about getting a bosses HP bar down - the posture bar is more important. Lowering a bosses health makes their posture bar regenerate slower. So getting some damage in, then concentrating on their posture bar is a good general strategy. It's not often you want to try to get a boss down to zero HP (you can, but it will take longer).

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you using the memories you get from defeating bosses? From the idol menu. It increases your attack power. Your HP and posture bar increase by killing mini-bosses and getting prayer beads.

The game is challenging no doubt, but it's not always about getting a bosses HP bar down - the posture bar is more important. Lowering a bosses health makes their posture bar regenerate slower. So getting some damage in, then concentrating on their posture bar is a good general strategy. It's not often you want to try to get a boss down to zero HP (you can, but it will take longer).
I only killed one mainboss. The horse one.

I am at the boss of ashina castle. How far am I into the game?

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I only killed one mainboss. The horse one.

I am at the boss of ashina castle. How far am I into the game?
Not far at all. The horse boss is the first "boss" so you get a memory from him to up your attack power. Mini-bosses are the Ogre, the samurai guy early on, you get prayer beads from those. The boss of Ashina castle maybe you mean the bull or G enichiro? The former is a mini-boss, the latter a boss. This is where the game opens up though, after the bull there are a few ways to go from there.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not far at all. The horse boss is the first "boss" so you get a memory from him to up your attack power. Mini-bosses are the Ogre, the samurai guy early on, you get prayer beads from those. The boss of Ashina castle maybe you mean the bull or G enichiro? The former is a mini-boss, the latter a boss. This is where the game opens up though, after the bull there are a few ways to go from there.
bull was easy. I am at the G-man.

Oct 25, 2017
So this the magic of FROM games. Happened with Bloodborne as well.

Just two days ago I was seriously stuck with Genichiro, Headless, and Sunken Valley. Decided to focus on Genichiro. Finally got his first forms down, but just got wrecked at the end where his moves didn't make sense.

I persisted and when I didn't even expected it, BOOM, I defeated Genichiro. Holy fucking shit. Also with Snake eyes. God the rest of the game will be tough (especially with grinding for skills) but this game is too good.

I hope to beat headless soon. But in the meantime, damn good game.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
bull was easy. I am at the G-man.
G-Man is the first real skill test of the game, like Father G from Bloodborne, Blade Wolf from MGR, and so on. It's supposed to test you on how well you force the enemy to block and how well you parry their own attacks in return.

Don't watch your health damage on him. Watch your posture damage buildup on him, and fight in a way that lets you build posture damage into a deathblow.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, any tips for what I assume is the last boss?
Isshin, Sword Saint
This isn't even fun anymore.
Try to be consistent with your spacing and responses. His moveset changes depending on how you react to certain moves (such as how close you stand for certain windup animations), so making your own movements and spacing consistent makes his move set more consistent in turn. That narrows down the number of moves you need to react to, which makes him easier to practice.

Resist the urge to mash out of his combos if you get hit. The flight's second phase has a particular delayed 3-hit sword swing combo that seems timed to punish attempts at mashing out. If you see him start it, parry all the moves before attacking back.

Double Ichimonji is amazing in this fight. You can stuff the first move of the boss fight by jumping towards him, starting the ichimonji animation in midair, and landing with it. Makes that first move easy to deal with. You can also use it to punish the boss on recovery if you dodge some big moves.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
D8z5WqsWwAESx6K

Finally managed to get the platinum trophy as well. Made it to NG+3 and grinded for those last few skill points.

Looking forward to Elden Ring and still hope for a Sekiro story DLC similar to The Old Hunters for Bloodborne.

Oct 25, 2017
I am still early in the game (past Genichiro, completed Temple). Just by looking at guides online I am impressed at all of you that platinum the game. Never seen so many requirements for the endings...

At least with Bloodborne it was straightforward

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
You mean the Mibu Nobles with the flute?

Have they enfeebled you yet? Because once that happens you'll want kill them in sight, no regrets.

Actually it's moreso the Okami warriors; they're just playing around, dancing, and having a good time, and I burst in and stab em all to death. It's such a beautiful locale too, so it makes it feel even more incongruous. Oh well.

Also, I just killed Father Owl, Jesus that took a bit.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
ISS first phase really, but I had a moment of clarity and started taking a bit of patience reading into his moves more and now I'm reliably getting to his second.

I put the game down for a week or so because of this fight and just got back into it.
I'm stuck on the second phase of ISS now, too. I'm trying the loaded umbrella/projected force technique, but I'm having trouble reading his attacks. It sucks that you have to go through so much just to practice the second phase.

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
I'm stuck on the second phase of ISS now, too. I'm trying the loaded umbrella/projected force technique, but I'm having trouble reading his attacks. It sucks that you have to go through so much just to practice the second phase.
Still on his second phase too but I think I've made more progress in shorter time on this phase than his first. Yes he's faster and has wider attacks but it seems like the same approach of finding opportunities to attack and waiting/hoping for a mikiri counter opportunity. Only tool I use in this fight is firecrackers to interrupt his long wind-up attack.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

Spear phase? You can bait his thrust if you stay just outside his reach (not far enough for him to start shooting at you). It's super easy to Mikiri and puts you in a good position to land a couple of hits in.

Also when he does his jumping overhead slam it's better to deflect it, as it deals some pretty good posture damage. He'll always jump back with a swipe of his spear if you stay close to him for too long, but you can easily deflect it or dash forward for more free damage.

If it's any consolation, the final phase is much easier.