• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the game the other day - kind of want to just main path through the other playthroughs. Will I end up regretting it due to missing out on memories?

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After beating
Owl (father)
after more than 20 tries I feel I can take anything. Easily the hardest boss I faced in a videogame until now.

I personally started using the mortal blade art.

Important thing about that art in bosses: you spend emblems to use them but you can continue using the art even if you don't have any, so basically you get unlimited uses for it on the boss.

I usually waited for an opening of him and punished with the art, curious enough, the art does damage to the boss even if he deflects it, so you can wear him down quickly. Of course, you need to learn his patterns for that, he hits like a truck on some of those moves.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
My NG+3 No Charm Shura Run:

Some of the mini-bosses have killed me more times than any boss on NG or previous NG+ cycles. They are bonkers bananas difficult. Snake Eyes in Ahina Depths took so much work and time, even after stealth deathblowing her first Vitality pip (something I never did before). I have trouble against enemies that have slower, more deliberate swings instead of faster, twitchier sword attacks. This an example of an enemy that never gave me trouble before that suddenly turned into a nightmare. I didn't bother fighting the other one since she's optional. Phew! The Lone Shadow in the Ashina Dojo before Owl also killed me a good 20 times. I swear he has more posture than Genichiro.

Robertoooo's dad was also pretty rough. Killed me 8-10 times. Again, a miniboss I never gave much thought to suddenly was killing me in 10 seconds flat with. I also got kind of unlucky when doing the deathblow since I kept kicking him against the wooden posts.

And then came the worst: Guardian Ape. I've always thought it is one of the harder bosses but goddamn. So much health and damage. First phase was doable with firecrackers, but I realized that I wouldn't be able to just whittle down its health and that I was going to have to deflect in the second phase. My preferred tactic in easier difficulties (using the purple gourd to build Terror resistance and then running behind him when he does the scream to wail on him) doesn't work since you get Terror'd instantly, even with the Gourd. So I just hoped for the best with deflects and tried my best to parry his overhead slam to punish with the centipide pull with the spear. It does a ton of both vitality and posture damage. Ended up using a Red Lump for the first time ever since I ran out of resurrections and not being staggered with every hit sure sounds good.

Took me 67 tries (I kept count) but I got him. No one would ever say I'm good at the game, but what I lack in skill I compensate with persistence.

I fought the final Shura boss a few times. The Emma phase is easy enough, but Isshin just destroyed me. This will take some time. I really hope I can muster the willpower to do it without the charm.

I finished the game but the lore is behind item descriptions and little details as the other Miyazaki games. Is there any good websites, videos, articles on its lore? It was kinda easy to find some good lore pieces for Souls games but i could not find much about Sekiro lore.

I think people are starting to piece together the lore. Epic Name Bro was doing a Lore Playthrough of the game, but his computer died and he stopped. Hopefully he'll continue since his Dark Souls and Bloodborne Lore Playthroughs are excellent.

This game uses the Sake mechanic a lot to reveal the backstory and relationships between Emma, Isshin, Genichiro, the Sculptor and the Owl. There's probably not nearly enough sake in the game to do it in a single playthrough, but the conversations can be found on Youtube and also transcribed in wikis.

Beat the game the other day - kind of want to just main path through the other playthroughs. Will I end up regretting it due to missing out on memories?

No. After your attack power reaches 14, you get diminishing returns. After 28, you get so little bonus damage from memories the increase is insignificant.

Last edited:

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
My NG+3 No Charm Shura Run:

Some of the mini-bosses have killed me more times than any boss on NG or previous NG+ cycles. They are bonkers bananas difficult. Snake Eyes in Ahina Depths took so much work and time, even after stealth deathblowing her first Vitality pip (something I never did before). I have trouble against enemies that have slower, more deliberate swings instead of faster, twitchier sword attacks. This an example of an enemy that never gave me trouble before that suddenly turned into a nightmare. I didn't bother fighting the other one since she's optional. Phew! The Lone Shadow in the Ashina Dojo before Owl also killed me a good 20 times. I swear he has more posture than Genichiro.

Robertoooo's dad was also pretty rough. Killed me 8-10 times. Again, a miniboss I never gave much thought to suddenly was killing me in 10 seconds flat with. I also got kind of unlucky when doing the deathblow since I kept kicking him against the wooden posts.

And then came the worst: Guardian Ape. I've always thought it is one of the harder bosses but goddamn. So much health and damage. First phase was doable with firecrackers, but I realized that I wouldn't be able to just whittle down its health and that I was going to have to deflect in the second phase. My preferred tactic in easier difficulties (using the purple gourd to build Terror resistance and then running behind him when he does the scream to wail on him) doesn't work since you get Terror'd instantly, even with the Gourd. So I just hoped for the best with deflects and tried my best to parry his overhead slam to punish with the centipide pull with the spear. It does a ton of both vitality and posture damage. Ended up using a Red Lump for the first time ever since I ran out of resurrections and not being staggered with every hit sure sounds good.

Took me 67 tries (I kept count) but I got him. No one would ever say I'm good at the game, but what I lack in skill I compensate with persistence.

I fought the final Shura boss a few times. The Emma phase is easy enough, but Isshin just destroyed me. This will take some time. I really hope I can muster the willpower to do it without the charm.

It's pretty common that something you dispatched easily would come back as much harder when going charmless as you did it relatively faster, meaning less time to learn all the moves properly. Certain things also can't be dealt with the same way. My personal example is Genichiro's flurry attack, where I have pretty low success rate on deflecting the second to last hit, which would make the last hit one shot due to NG+x damage mod plus critical from being posture broken, so I just started running away from it.

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I just beat the game. I'm not even sure I watched the ending, I was so nervous. I really enjoyed the game even though I personally found it to be much more difficult than most of the games I tend to play. I've played all the From Software games but this one seemed a notch or two more difficult to me. However, I do think it did a great job prepping you for each upcoming fight. I feel like new game plus will be easier if I decide to play it.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
CwDSS48.gif

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Uninstalled the game. I wasn't having enough fun throughout the entire game to put up with this. Thanks for the tips regardless. Hopefully from goes back to something more fun for the their next venture

That might be for the best. I can tell you that the rest of the fight makes phase 1 look like an early game mini boss. By the time I finished the game I could consistently get through both phase 1 and 2 without healing. Not because I am good, you are likely better at games than I am, but this game requires attention and practice for most people. I can see where that might not be everyone's idea of fun.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I think I managed to be so good at this third playthrough I may have locked myself out of an ending.
This is my third playthrough on NG+ and I barely ever died. Unfortunately, this may have screwed up my ending paths. I finally died enough to trigger Dragonrot, but only the sculptor is affected, no one else. And, Emma needs blood samples before you can use the Dragon Droplet to cure Dragonrot. Well, I was to o busy being good I didn't die enough times for someone else to be affected. I also did pretty much everything I could before facing Genichiro and then did everything before getting the Mortal Blade and going back to Kuro. I now have everything and Kuro wants me to enter the Divine Realm.

But, the Sculptor's dragonrot has not been cured and I can't trigger new conversations with the Divine Child or Emma to begin the Dragon's Homecoming ending. I have everything I need, but Emma won't go talk to the sculptor or bring up the alternative way to save Kuro. And, the Divine Child only gives me rice. I may have screwed things by being too good.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
So I've derailed my the progression of my playthrough to gain early access to two mid-game XP farming locations, in case I need to unlock specific skills. The first was the at Gun Fort idol (rifleman dropping 290ish XP) and the other is Shinobi by stream at Mibu Village's idol (780ish XP).

It felt like there was an internet consensus that the latter is the better option. But after trying both, the Shinobi's run takes longer and has a high risk of alerting him. Am I crazy, doing it wrong, or is my assumption correct?

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Im completely lost after Castle Gate there's like 4-5 branches, is there an order?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Im completely lost after Castle Gate there's like 4-5 branches, is there an order?

No. The game sort of expects you to go to an specific place at this point but this is also an opportunity to explore, find some prosthetics, Gourd seeds and prayer beads.

There's a couple of bosses you could kill at this point but also a couple of dead ends. Maybe you could try exploring the castle rooftops?

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the odd man out for having most every skill and prosthetic tool unlocked before I even beat the Divine Dragon though I did do a bit of grinding and killed basically every single possible miniboss along the way. I'll probably platinum the game as I've already done most of the easier ones aside from the different endings. I feel like I'm getting to the point where I can destroy most enemies and even some of the bosses in short order. Feels good.
are you sure you have every skill tree? I killed absolutely everything my first run through (and almost everything in NG+) and still wasn't even close to having all skill points by the end of NG++++

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No. The game sort of expects you to go to an specific place at this point but this is also an opportunity to explore, find some prosthetics, Gourd seeds and prayer beads.

There's a couple of bosses you could kill at this point but also a couple of dead ends. Maybe you could try exploring the castle rooftops?
Not really. You'll eventually reach a wall no matter which path you go down that will lead you the next direction
At that point should i have killed drunkard? Im still stuck with him and have a hard time but didnt find the boss on a horse and the bull not very hard

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
At that point should i have killed drunkard? Im still stuck with him and have a hard time but didnt find the boss on a horse and the bull not very hard

Drunkard is a bum.

Clear out everyone around him before fighting. Even if you need to run back across the pond constantly to de-aggro everyone. Who cares? This game was clearly ain't meant to have more than one person fighting you at a time. Best way to do it is stealth deathblowing them from coming around the back through the shack on the left side.
Once you clear everyone out, you can get a stealth deathblow on the Drunkard to take one health bar down. Then run to the pond and talk to the guy standing there cause he will fight with you. He draws aggro from the Drunkard and you can hit him while he's distracted.
Also he's super open whenever he drinks or spits on his sword. Free shots

I've done this boss several times either not getting hit or only taking one hit. Very easy once you figure his pattern out

are you sure you have every skill tree? I killed absolutely everything my first run through (and almost everything in NG+) and still wasn't even close to having all skill points by the end of NG++++

Maybe he's missing scrolls? There's no chance you can get all skills on the first play through. The EXP the enemies give is way too low for the higher skill points

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Drunkard is a bum.

Clear out everyone around him before fighting. Even if you need to run back across the pond constantly to de-aggro everyone. Who cares? This game was clearly ain't meant to have more than one person fighting you at a time. Best way to do it is stealth deathblowing them from coming around the back through the shack on the left side.
Once you clear everyone out, you can get a stealth deathblow on the Drunkard to take one health bar down. Then run to the pond and talk to the guy standing there cause he will fight with you. He draws aggro from the Drunkard and you can hit him while he's distracted.
Also he's super open whenever he drinks or spits on his sword. Free shots

I've done this boss several times either not getting hit or only taking one hit. Very easy once you figure his pattern out

Maybe he's missing scrolls? There's no chance you can get all skills on the first play through. The EXP the enemies give is way too low for the higher skill points
Which skill patch should i get? Ashina skill tree look nice, the prosthetic one meh

benj

Oct 27, 2017
you could grind for it, but it'd take way more than "a bit of grinding"—especially before divine dragon. can't even guess how many hours that would be

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing things out of order because I couldn't remember which way I explored the first time. I just sequence broke
the Ape fights. I reached Mibu without fighting the Guardian Ape, and because of that, the second ape fight wasn't there. And I totally missed the fact that there's a passage there in the abandoned dungeon that drops right there over the Shichimen Warrior. I suppose I just don't have to fight that second Ape fight at all now. I'll probably still do it for the battle memory though.

This game actually has a lot of ways to play it in different orders.

Sh0k

Oct 27, 2017
Early game spoilers

If I decide to start my second NG+ for the Shura or Return ending, can I completely skip the Hirata Estate flashback level and also skip Lady Butterfly? Or this area is mandatory for the main story?

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Early game spoilers

If I decide to start my second NG+ for the Shura or Return ending, can I completely skip the Hirata Estate flashback level and also skip Lady Butterfly? Or this area is mandatory for the main story?
Yes, you can just skip Hirata entirely for those endings.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
So I've derailed my the progression of my playthrough to gain early access to two mid-game XP farming locations, in case I need to unlock specific skills. The first was the at Gun Fort idol (rifleman dropping 290ish XP) and the other is Shinobi by stream at Mibu Village's idol (780ish XP).

It felt like there was an internet consensus that the latter is the better option. But after trying both, the Shinobi's run takes longer and has a high risk of alerting him. Am I crazy, doing it wrong, or is my assumption correct?
If you have the Gachin's Spiritfall item Re-useable Gachin's Sugar uses spirit emblems, dropped by one of the Headless, the mibu village purple shinobi is a very quick farm.

The Gun Fort farm is a nice one too, lots of good materials dropped (Fulminated Mercury).

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
I'm at a 3 way crossroad now: Explore the dungeons, face my fear and finally fight LB or continue to fight (and lose to) that mid-boss elite swordsman in the dojo.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You know what?

After doing my NG+, turns out Mibu Village is so much easier if you do it before Sunken Valley like i did on my first playthrough. These tengu spirits and samurai spirits are none existent.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Which prostetic tools are the best? Are there some that do more damage than others beside those stronger against certain enemy (axe + shield, etc)

beezer

Nov 5, 2017
Which prostetic tools are the best? Are there some that do more damage than others beside those stronger against certain enemy (axe + shield, etc)

Firecrackers are insanely good. Other than that you don't need any other prosthetics so much.

If you want to fight Terror mini-bosses, it's reasonable to wait until you get Purple Umbrella.

As for damage, I think you shouldn't rely on your prosthetics for it at all.

Mar 29, 2018
Frankly you can beat the game multiple times without using any prosthetic tool at all. A couple of spoiler-free things to bear in mind
  • just read the tools' descriptions for direction on what the tools are specifically useful for, they make it pretty obvious
  • some of the tools become very powerful when upgraded, specifically against certain enemies and bosses - however, this necessitates quite a lot of upgrades and the tree gets really expensive later on, you even need like one-off resources of very rare resources and stuff
  • there are maybe two prosthetic tools you HAVE to use, in a Metroidvania style fashion, otherwise you'll be roadblocked. The game makes it clear where these are
  • in general mob combat I'd say prosthetic tools are useless 95% of the time - only useful for crowd control or to make openings with specific enemies

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Question, I've beaten Lady Butterfly and am at the Gun Fort. I know there are multiple endings. Is it like Bloodborne where there's one clearly 'good ending' that I need to prep for or is it possible to just keep going and get a decent ending without spoiling what choices I need to make later on to avoid a bad ending?

Oct 25, 2017
I recommend Shuriken, Firecracker, and Spear. The first and third one have low emblem cost and they can damage health/posture through guard. The firecracker is basically useful in any situation. Make sure you get the skill that allows you to follow up with a very quick sword slash right after using your arm tool.

Mar 29, 2018
Question, I've beaten Lady Butterfly and am at the Gun Fort. I know there are multiple endings. Is it like Bloodborne where there's one clearly 'good ending' that I need to prep for or is it possible to just keep going and get a decent ending without spoiling what choices I need to make later on to avoid a bad ending?
The latter, yes - it's the opposite from Bloodborne. Most of the endings are "good" in varying ways and only one of the endings is "Bad" - and it's really obvious when you have the choice to go down that path.

It's also still up in the air whether the most involved and convoluted ending (akin to getting all the umbilica in BB) is the "canon" ending or whether the "second" good ending is the canon ending.