• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Created another moment compiling GIFs so far, mostly spoiler free however there is a GIF of an area late in the game and a boss spoiler, boss was shown pre-release but still, just a heads up.

https://twitter.com/i/moments/1116848254896021505

E6L8Xy0.gif

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
EDIT: for some reason, my response deleted itself on an edit. the basic jist:

bro, dude, guy - please take this convo elsewhere. literally the only person to whom this is an issue or cause or important is YOU. im sorry that youve never seemed to have encountered a soft-spoken or long-haired boy in your life and that its such an incongruous experience for you, or that the concept of an adult woman being a better fit to voice act a young male is so wild to your sensibilities (despite the fact that its so insanely widespread in the industry to basically be the de rigueur casting process), but almost no one here agrees with you, and if they do i cant imagine they care about whats essentially a non-issue as much as you. PLEASE, wrap it up.

let me know how it goes and how far you are in the game, i might know some other good places that dont take a long time to farm a little. i know how much of an annoyance it is to have to farm for resources you like to use (im stuck on a Bloodborne playthrough for the past, oh, two years or so because i have no energy or patience to go farm for blood vials to see me through the Orphan of Kos fight), but Sekiro struck me as being at least somewhat forgiving in this, especially during the regular gameplay loop between bosses. i will admit that now that im on the final boss i find myself having to go back and do a little more farming than usual, but still.
i just finally killed the ghost corrupted monk. I spent 3000 on that shuriken upgrade only to find I need money for a few pre-read for it :/

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
OK you got me with that...but my points still stand on the topic...Kuro looks and sounds like a girl...it's not meant as some kind of gender racial LGBT issue like Morrigan wants it to be...it's seriously just an observation that I thought he was a girl

Nobody at any point has mentioned anything to do with LGBT issues or racism or anything of the sort. The entire point we've been making the whole time is that your perspective on this whole situation is skewed.

Again: Children are voiced by adult women all the time and have been for as long as voice actors (and child labor laws) have been a thing. And Kuro's particular dialect and introspective, reserved character lend themselves to a softer-spoken kind of voice that the voice actress they picked is able to provide.

Please stop mistaking mild youthful vocal androgyny for femininity, because your continued pushback on the subject really makes you seem like you have a problem with femininity.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Nobody at any point has mentioned anything to do with LGBT issues or racism or anything of the sort. The entire point we've been making the whole time is that your perspective on this whole situation is skewed.

Again: Children are voiced by adult women all the time and have been for as long as voice actors (and child labor laws) have been a thing. And Kuro's particular dialect and introspective, reserved character lend themselves to a softer-spoken kind of voice that the voice actress they picked is able to provide.

Please stop mistaking mild youthful vocal androgyny for femininity, because your continued pushback on the subject really makes you seem like you have a problem with femininity.

I was referring to Morrigan...he's the one that seems to be pushing some other agenda...I accept that children are voiced by adult females in certain games and anime...my point was it doesn't always have to be this way and there could be some story or cultural significance behind it as well...no one can with 100% certainty say why Kuro was made to look and sound a certain way...unless someone from From Soft is a member of these forums...Japanese culture is different so it stands that certain cultures and norms might not be fully understood by people outside of that region

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'll say this again - the ridiculously long loading time after the second or higher phase of the final boss - plus the required run down that long corridor each time you respawn is excruciating when you're trying to keep your battle rhythm.

Why isn't the Sculptor's Idol at the end of the corridor instead of outside of it?!? 😡😠

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I was referring to Morrigan...he's the one that seems to be pushing some other agenda...I accept that children are voiced by adult females in certain games and anime...my point was it doesn't always have to be this way and there could be some story or cultural significance behind it as well...no one can with 100% certainty say why Kuro was made to look and sound a certain way...unless someone from From Soft is a member of these forums...Japanese culture is different so it stands that certain cultures and norms might not be fully understood by people outside of that region

There is no cultural significance behind it beyond the fact that it's easier and cheaper to hire an adult actress (who is already playing another part in the same game) than spend a significant amount of time hiring a child actor who would not result in a noticeable increase in quality.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'll say this again - the ridiculously long loading time after the second or higher phase of the final boss - plus the required run down that long corridor each time you respawn is excruciating when you're trying to keep your battle rhythm.

Why isn't the Sculptor's Idol at the end of the corridor instead of outside of it?!? 😡😠

Man when you're coming from Dark Souls 1 where it's a 5min run and 15 deadly enemies between you and a boss, I'll happily take a 15sec run down a corridor. One of the things that kept me from going insane with these relentlessly difficult bosses.

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is this conversation happening right now? This isn't important or unusual at all. Let Kuro be Kuro. So the kid doesn't have a crew cut or watch monster truck rallies, bfd.

You're the one who asked people why...They gave you the answer...Now you say nobody can say for sure but From?

Ok...

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
OK you got me with that...but my points still stand on the topic...Kuro looks and sounds like a girl...it's not meant as some kind of gender racial LGBT issue like Morrigan wants it to be...it's seriously just an observation that I thought he was a girl

Nobody would have an issue if you said "I thought he was a girl"; hell, PlanetSmasher said as much. Your exact words were "he sounds way too feminine", though; how does not that imply that it's a problem that he sounds feminine and he should sound less so?

You keep moving the goalposts and backpedaling when confronted, but nobody here is buying it; which incidentally makes your "and everyone else" attempts at self-validation roaringly hilarious. Have a little self-awareness, take the L, and let the matter quietly drop like it should have a page ago.

Tomeru

May 7, 2018
Man when you're coming from Dark Souls 1 where it's a 5min run and 15 deadly enemies between you and a boss, I'll happily take a 15sec run down a corridor. One of the things that kept me from going insane with these relentlessly difficult bosses.

So youre agreeing that the sculpture should be placed after the corridor? You can always stand in place for a while begore retrying the boss.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Nobody would have an issue if you said "I thought he was a girl"; hell, PlanetSmasher said as much. Your exact words were "he sounds way too feminine", though; how does not that imply that it's a problem that he sounds feminine and he should sound less so?

You keep moving the goalposts and backpedaling when confronted, but nobody here is buying it; which incidentally makes your "and everyone else" attempts at self-validation roaringly hilarious. Have a little self-awareness, take the L, and let the matter quietly drop like it should have a page ago.

in my initial post that's exactly what I said...some people seemed to want an in-depth analysis...Morrigan said the Divine Child sounded 'too girlie' which implies something more...I used the word feminine...at the time of my first post I didn't even know that Kuro was in fact voiced by a female...so in the end I was right that he sounded like a girl...because he was voiced by a girl/female...

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
I've played Sekiro for about 70 hours, with 30 hours spent on Demon of Hatred. I kid you not. Don't tell me otherwise, the third phase is impossible. No human can do this.

Either I can't see shit.

Or he just keeps spamming unblockable attacks.

There is simply no way I will ever beat this asshole.

NightOnyx

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished my first playthrough! The last boss, man what a battle that was. I love this game to death though! The way the combat eventually clicks is magical. You really feel like you've improved leaps and bounds from where you first started. You go from overthinking everything and struggling, to it all just being second nature, and it's really satisfying.

My main complaint seems to be the thing most people are disappointed by and that's the reuse of bosses. Part of me wishes they would have just used most of the mini-bosses once and spread them out more, but having to fight them all definitely helped me improve playing the game. A good majority of the bosses I really like, so it's not a huge problem, but it did get a little old after a while of seeing a boss a second time. I also had an issue with some of the bosses tracking and animations, but I eventually got through them.

The game is so wonderful though. I love the setting, the characters, and the story. I still think I prefer switching armor and weapons like in the other From games, but the prosthetic arm is cool, unique, and fun to use. One thing I did love more than the other From games is the ability to traverse in different ways. Jumping, grappling, and swimming were all welcome additions in my opinion. Ultimately though, the reliance on parrying is what makes this combat so fun. It's frustrating to learn don't get me wrong, but it sure is satisfying once you got the hang of it. Just a ridiculously fun game.

As for the final boss.
I did the Kuro playthrough so I fought Sword Saint Isshin. He was definitely tough as hell but he does have enough moves that you can exploit that you can get through him. Those final two phases are definitely a struggle in particular, but I manage to beat him in a few hours once I figured out those openings to exploit. I actually had way more trouble with Owl fight 2. Some of that had to do with differences of arenas you fight in, but Owl took me a lot longer to crack and beat. Both felt amazing to beat though.

The Ending.
I ended up making sure I got the three Kuro endings. All three are cool in their own way, but it seems like the Return ending is the true ending. Not sure if Wolf and the Devine Child's journey will be DLC or a sequel, but I definitely hope we get to see their journey someday.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I've played Sekiro for about 70 hours, with 30 hours spent on Demon of Hatred. I kid you not. Don't tell me otherwise, the third phase is impossible. No human can do this.

Either I can't see shit.

Yeah boss is hard af. I had to cheese him in the end tbh. Didn't even feel bad about it.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
So youre agreeing that the sculpture should be placed after the corridor? You can always stand in place for a while begore retrying the boss.

Yes I guess it'd be preferable but what I'm saying is it's becoming less of a problem with each successive game to the point where it's almost not an issue for me. I became so used to these horror runs in previous games that Sekiro felt like a breath of fresh air.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
in my initial post that's exactly what I said...some people seemed to want an in-depth analysis...

That's literally the opposite of what happened. You asked why he sounded like that; Morrigan and others answered you; but you still pressed the matter and demanded a specific reason why.

Morrigan said the Divine Child sounded 'too girlie' which implies something more...I used the word feminine...at the time of my first post I didn't even know that Kuro was in fact voiced by a female...so in the end I was right that he sounded like a girl...because he was voiced by a girl/female...

Except, again, of course, at no point did she say"too girly":
The same voice actress also voiced the Divine Child, who sounds (and even looks) far girlier than Kuro, so in fact she did "modulate her voice" to sound more boyish... lol

Color me surprised that the guy whose entire argument is that a character sounds "too girly" would also read "far girlier" as "too girly".

Also rolling on floor laughing at "voiced by woman" = "I was right", as if him being voiced by a woman had not been a given from the start and was some sort of revelation. But hey, keep digging, it's entertaining.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Except, of course, at no point did she say"too girly":

Color me surprised that the guy whose entire argument is that a character sounds "too girly" would also read "far girlier" as "too girly".

Also rolling on floor laughing at "voiced by woman" = "I was right", as if him being voiced by a woman had not been a given from the start and was some sort of revelation. But hey, keep digging, it's entertaining.

the fact that you're really trying to differentiate a major difference between 'too girly' and one character being 'far girlier' has to be one of the silliest arguments in internet forum history...I'm guessing Morrigan is your bud and you're trying to defend her (I didn't realize that Morrigan was female until your post)...but you're doing a horrible job with your defense...

Whales

Oct 25, 2017

Either I can't see shit.

jump when the kanji pops up and it won't hit you.

stay on his crotch the whole fight, stuck on him, as close as possible.
He usually follows up a hand fire attack with his dumb leg step which you can block, dont overextend on the offense when he does fire attacks so you can block it.

This is a fight where running to be as close to him as possible and dodging helps a lot, blocking not so much because he does a ton of chip damage with his fire moves, you have to evade his shit

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah boss is hard af. I had to cheese him in the end tbh. Didn't even feel bad about it.

yeah, no shame in the cheese for this.

as soon as i got him down to phase 3, i popped a Divine Confetti, an Ako's Spiritfall, and used Malcontent. hit him enough times to stagger him at least once, and he's toast. getting him to phase 3 was the biggest problem for me.

Never even thought Kuro was remotely feminine. Just seems like a soft spoken boy of royalty.

you understand that. i understand that. most of us understand that. the person who should be getting it and dropping this nonsense will let it fly right over his head.

id hate to see this dude's face if he like ever watched Let the Right One In or something for God's sake.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
the fact that you're really trying to differentiate a major difference between 'too girly' and one character being 'far girlier' has to be one of the silliest arguments in internet forum history...

Are you serious? The fact that you don't understand the difference explains so many things.

I guessing Morrigan is your bud and you're trying to defend her (I didn't realize that Morrigan was female until your post)...but you're doing a horrible job with your defense...

You are vastly misjudging the conversation if you think she would be the one in need of being defended from you, but what else is new. She and everyone else in the thread (the real world "everyone else" actually posting, not the "everyone else" in your mind that agrees with you) is shredding you to pieces. I just wanted to spare you some humiliation, but of course you wouldn't take the advice.

It's amazing how blindingly fast you rotated your argument to a "white knight" ad-hominen the second you learned she was a woman, though. :)

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Fuck it, I think I'm done with the game. Killed every boss, mini-boss, headless, whatever so far, but just can't deal with Owl at Ashina Castle. Just beat my head against the wall for 4 hours straight (after another hour yesterday evening), I'm frustrated as hell and have zero motivation to waste any more time on it. His reach, damage output and the camera are absolutely ridiculous and something always goes wrong. I really wanted to see the last area of the game, but looks like this is where the journey ends for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Playing without Kuro's Charm is too much of an annoyance. I'm gonna have to desist. Some enemies do ridiculous damage on block. This ain't no fucking "chip" damage. One thing I don't like about parries in this game is that you in fact CAN'T parry at the last moment. You have to seemingly initiate your parry a decent deal before the hit makes contact.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Playing without Kuro's Charm is too much of an annoyance. I'm gonna have to desist. Some enemies do ridiculous damage on block. One thing I don't like about parries in this game is that you in fact CAN'T parry at the last moment. You have to initiate your parry a decent deal before the hit makes contact.

Really? I've deflected so many thing on a moments notice in my last 3 charmless playthroughs. What are you experiencing specifically that resulted in that conclusion?

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck it, I think I'm done with the game. Killed every boss, mini-boss, headless, whatever so far, but just can't deal with Owl at Ashina Castle. Just beat my head against the wall for 4 hours straight (after another hour yesterday evening), I'm frustrated as hell and have zero motivation to waste any more time on it. His reach, damage output and the camera are absolutely ridiculous and something always goes wrong. I really wanted to see the last area of the game, but looks like this is where the journey ends for me.

i feel you - i had to take a serious break on both that boss, and two others later in the game.

honestly, totally take a day or three off. real talk, the morning i finally decided to jump back in and try again, i crushed the boss that was giving me the most trouble. give yourself some time to unwind and chill from the brutality, for sure! i was prepared to cash in and just watch the endings on youtube, and im glad i abstained and gave it another go.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Really? I've deflected so many thing on a moments notice in my last 3 charmless playthroughs. What are you experiencing specifically that resulted in that conclusion?
It's just something I've experienced in all my playthroughs. Sometimes I feel like parried just before the attack hit...but it doesn't work.

Tawantabe

Mar 20, 2019
Never even thought Kuro was remotely feminine. Just seems like a soft spoken boy of royalty.
Agreed.

Either I can't see shit.

As others have said stay on him, i always favored his left leg, he does the sequence with a bunch of swings ending with a stomp. Try to dodge in and be on that leg and then just start going around him and hammering dodge until you see his booty drop from the stomp i feel like its just a slow 1 2 3 4 then time to attack. He does the one two stomp you can block but honestly i feel like sekiro is so fast just straight going into an away run and back in at the ass end of the attack was better once i got my nerves to calm. Use malcontent for phase three do not let him make the fire ring or if he does use it again and punish his ass. i Kinda saved one more incase i drug it out and he tried to fire ring me again. Use the cerimonial tanto for more emblems before you start the fight. you hear the kanji jump, stay close so he doesnt do the damn skull attack You got this!

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Are you serious? The fact that you don't understand the difference explains so many things.

You are vastly misjudging the conversation if you think she would be the one in need of being defended from you, but what else is new. She and everyone else in the thread (the real world "everyone else" actually posting, not the "everyone else" in your mind that agrees with you) is shredding you to pieces. I just wanted to spare you some humiliation, but of course you wouldn't take the advice.

It's amazing how blindingly fast you rotated your argument to a "white knight" ad-hominen the second you learned she was a woman, though. :)

how exactly have I changed anything?...the fact that Morrigan is female doesn't change anything from my end...only difference is that I now know to refer to her as a 'she' instead of a 'him'...I have no idea what exactly you're arguing about now except that you seem to be friends with Morrigan and are trying to argue that 'too girly' is a vastly different thing then saying 'far girlier'...I can only shake my head at that

Oct 25, 2017
how exactly have I changed anything?...the fact that Morrigan is female doesn't change anything from my end...only difference is that I now know to refer to her as a 'she' instead of a 'him'...I have no idea what exactly you're arguing about now except that you seem to be friends with Morrigan and are trying to argue that 'too girly' is a vastly different thing then saying 'far girlier'...I can only shake my head at that

Wait... what?

Do you actually believe what you just said?

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
Anyone else absolutely hate that block + attack does your combat art move? I do.

It's a lot more comfortable to hold block and attack and alternate between the two than having to always let go and press. Really wish they had mapped that to R1+R2 or something. I'd say a good 40% of my deaths throughout my playthough was because of that.

Far girlier = more girlier
Too girly = too much girly, a flaw. Over abundance of girlishness.

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I know this sounds like a really simple strategy and you might have already done it, but try grabbing the skill Nightjar Slash, try to kite him as much as possible, keep distance, parry his running slash. Once you have distance to him he usually uses two moves to close the gap, the running slash (gotta hammer it in how to parry it) and a move where he throws shurikens, then does a flip in the air and lands with his sword. If you're far enough this move never hits you, but right after he lands you can Nightjar Slash to him for a fair amount of damage. Do that until he got >75% hp or >50% hp, and then you can parry to break his posture meter really easy.

Save all your spirit emblems for phase 2. It's almost the same as phase 1 except you'll get poisoned sometimes and when he throws the smoke you have to get away. If you run out of patience at any time during phase 2 start spamming Robert's firecrackers -> Nightjar Slash -> Robert's firecrackers until you run out of spirit emblems (as demonstrated on another boss here https://streamable.com/c1m9a ) to take a huge chunk of his HP without actually dealing with him.

Tawantabe

Mar 20, 2019
one has connotation another does not.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
Agreed.

As others have said stay on him, i always favored his left leg, he does the sequence with a bunch of swings ending with a stomp. Try to dodge in and be on that leg and then just start going around him and hammering dodge until you see his booty drop from the stomp i feel like its just a slow 1 2 3 4 then time to attack. He does the one two stomp you can block but honestly i feel like sekiro is so fast just straight going into an away run and back in at the ass end of the attack was better once i got my nerves to calm. Use malcontent for phase three do not let him make the fire ring or if he does use it again and punish his ass. i Kinda saved one more incase i drug it out and he tried to fire ring me again. Use the cerimonial tanto for more emblems before you start the fight. you hear the kanji jump, stay close so he doesnt do the damn skull attack You got this!

Wait, you can avoid the fire ring?

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling and Misrepresenting Other Users' Arguments Over a Series of Posts
No it wouldn't. They are different words. They are literally different words with different meanings.

no...it all depends on the context and individual interpretation...if I said a someone was acting 'far girlier' then another the meaning would be the same as if I said that same person was acting 'too girlie'

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
So, Faraaz Khan just did his first damageless playthrough in under two hours. This guy is truely gud, ey?
Won't be impressed until it's without kuro's charm.
is that even possible
no...it all depends on the context and individual interpretation...if I said a someone was acting 'far girlier' then another the meaning would be the same as if I said that same person was acting 'too girlie'
If you think being girly is bad, yeah, it would have the same meaning if you said it.

For example, I believe the post you're talking about is regarding the divine child being more girlie than kuro? What about that post leads you to believe it's a negative judgement on the divine child? You think that post is saying she's too girlie?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

No, it wouldn't. One statement is saying that a character is acting girlier than another character. The other statement is saying that the amount of girliness is too much. One statement has a neutral connotation of value while the other has a negative connotation of excess.

Oct 25, 2017
Just take the L, holy shit. "Too much" and "far more" are DIFFERENT phrases with clearly defined different meanings and connotations.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If you think being girly is bad, yeah, it would have the same meaning if you said it.

For example, I believe the post you're talking about is regarding the divine child being more girlie than kuro? What about that post leads you to believe it's a negative judgement on the divine child? You think that post is saying she's too girlie?

this is going totally off tangent and out of context...I was referencing the original post in regards to the hypocrisy of calling me out for asking about Kuro looking and acting female when that same person goes on to do the same for another character saying she was acting 'far girlier' then Kuro (in regards to the voice actor)...so you agree that it could be interpreted as having the same meaning...good...lets move on now