• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
About 60% of the way through ng+. Game holds up nicely for ng+ mostly. Gonna take a long time to max skills based on what I have been seeing.

Certain apparition enemies get way more annoying on ng+ though.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Finally beat the
Demon of Hatred

Such a pain in the ass. This boss felt so out of place and the camera was so bad on this segment you're better off not even using it.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
So yesterday I did quite a bit of a progress
After beating
Owl, I also beat the Snake hidden boss, the double Ape boss (this one was easy the only problem was the second Ape actually running away all the time from my attacks...), 2 headless bosses (underwater and the forest one, now out of Divine Confetti... need to find more!) and arrived to a new location! Then stopped. I still have 1 headless boss in a cave that I found some days ago and another similar boss to beat, but both looks like needs Divine Confetti to get damage, so I have to save them for later...
Can't wait to see whats next
You can probably get Divine Confetti from the merchant sitting near the Dilapidated Temple.

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Haahahahahahaha.

So I killed the Ape earlier and was feeling pretty relieved. Then all of a sudden WELL THERE YOU GO, TWO APES. AT ONCE.

I died like three times until I realized I could firecracker spam the second ape to deathblow him then I went back to the headless ape, and I am pretty comfortable taking down that ape now. Get in, deflect, run the fuck away once he telegraphs his terror attack, repeat.

10/10, would fight dirty again

EDIT: SPEAKING OF FIGHTING DIRTY...

o6ilkuo9r6r21.png

So as it turns out, minibosses suffer from poison too, who'd have thought?

Currently making tea as I wait for that cheese to take place.

I shouldn't feel as weirdly satisfied as I do when cheesing a mini boss, but man.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I'm early in the game but I just reached Mr. Pokey and I realise I haven't been using the parry at all. Oops!

Should I go back and practice with the practice guy? How do I parry safely while keeping my guard up?

I've played all of the FromSoftware games and I've only completed Bloodborne.

Last edited:

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
I'm early in the game but I just reached Mr. Pokey and I realise I haven't been using the parry at all. Oops!

Should I go back and practice with the practice guy? How do I parry safely while keeping my guard up?

You can tap parry several times if your not exactly sure when the hit will land. It will land you some deflects and Its much better than just holding block, practice like this until you get comfortable with parrying.

Mar 29, 2018
Yeah From definitely need to fix the camera in the perhaps six or seven encounters that get really wrecked by it.

I wonder how they could. In many instances they could simply make the wall a bit "soft" so it has a little give but then is removed so you don't get sucked in. .

But for some bosses it's the boss itself that's blocking your vision... How the hell could you fix that

Then again, with walls, perhaps they intentionally let it close in the camera to simulate the fact you've got your back to the wall and to increase pressure

So yesterday I did quite a bit of a progress
After beating
Owl, I also beat the Snake hidden boss, the double Ape boss (this one was easy the only problem was the second Ape actually running away all the time from my attacks...), 2 headless bosses (underwater and the forest one, now out of Divine Confetti... need to find more!) and arrived to a new location! Then stopped. I still have 1 headless boss in a cave that I found some days ago and another similar boss to beat, but both looks like needs Divine Confetti to get damage, so I have to save them for later...
Can't wait to see whats next
I love that the second (brown) one actively hides behind the other. Ingenious.

You can rotate your camera with your right analog stick.
Not when you're locked on, which 99% of the games enemies demand

Mar 29, 2018

Whenever you unlock a new move to back to the training guy. This is CRUCIAL.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Does anyone know what exactly triggers

the passage of time? Just out of curiosity.

I'm also wondering about the timeline of events, exactly. Has it been three years since Kuro has been kept in captivity? Not sure I follow that.

In the course of the game, the time changes when:
It turns to dusk when you collect all the components that Kuro asks you to assemble, so Mortal Blade + Flower + Stone. Once you do, it advances the timeline and the Interior Ministry begins to attack Ashina Castle and the Idols first become unavailable.

The next passage comes after killing the Divine Dragon, which advances the time to night, and the Interior Ministry sets fire to Ashina. The Idols are cleared out again.

I made a post about a rough timeline a few days ago:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/se...o-arigato-mr-robertooooo.108158/post-19639447
Might have inaccuracies though.

I agree with the timeline, and that some of the questions raised probably don't have clear answers in the game.

I would also add a few things to the timeline:
There's a point at which the monks of Senpou Temple abandon their teachings in pursuit of immortality, creating the Divine Child. It's not clear exactly when in the timeline this shift happens.

Sometime between the 20-years-ago mark where Isshin Ashina first reclaims Ashina in a war and the 3-years-ago mark of the events in Hirata Estates, Genichiro was adopted into the Ashina clan, and met Tomoe, who was probably an Okami warrior from Fountainhead. She teaches Genichiro his lightning skills, hence the Way of Tomoe. She also accompanied the other Divine Heir mentioned in the game, Lord Takeru, who was the one to initially steal a branch of the Everblossom in Fountainhead--one possible explanation for why the Divine Dragon is missing an arm--and brought it to Ashina to graft on to a tree. It's this branch that Owl steals later.

At some point Takeru decides to attempt Immortal Severance, but he and Tomoe are unsuccessful, as they did not find the red Mortal Blade. It's not clear how Takeru dies if they did not have the Mortal Blade, but he's definitely dead by the time the events of the game begin.

With all of the game's themes of immortality, and the various characters' and NPCs' pursuits of it, one thing that seemed strange to me was that:
The centipedes seem to originate from Fountainhead, but it's a perverse/profane sort of immortality that's not related to Dragon Blood. The Corrupted Monk is infested, but guards the way to Fountainhead. The waters from Fountainhead flow all the way to the Sunken Valley, which is why the Flower grows there, the Great Carp's corpse washes there late in the game, and how the Guardian Ape was infested.

The rejuvenating waters that the Armored Knight seeks are from Senpou Temple, and the immortals there are all infested. Emma comments that Genichiro drank a concentrated sediment of the rejuvenating waters, so he ostensibly has some early/not-mature form of infestation that doesn't impart immortality. Even the friendly sparring immortal NPC is infested with a centipede.

At this point, this is totally speculation, so I have a couple of guesses:
1) During the Divine Dragon fight, the first phase features a bunch of wooden dragony trees that inflict poison-type damage. It's possible that Takeru taking a branch somehow caused the Everblossom/Divine Dragon to twist and become the source of the infestation.

2) The dragonrot/stagnation that Kuro explains is setting in everywhere as a result of the immortality likely stems from the stagnation of the Fountainhead waters, which means that its waters are corrupted too, somehow.

Neither of these very satisfyingly explain the source of the centipedes specifically, and why they are everywhere else in the game, but there it is.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone think that the Ending where you send the Dragon Rot curse back to the west relates Sekiro to Dark Souls or Bloodborne?

Neoshockwave

Oct 28, 2017
It's weird, Sekiro makes me want Ghost of Tsushima so much more but at the same time I'm far more wary of it because the combat will probably feel pedestrian in comparison. Hopefully not, though.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Yeah From definitely need to fix the camera in the perhaps six or seven encounters that get really wrecked by it.

I wonder how they could. In many instances they could simply make the wall a bit "soft" so it has a little give but then is removed so you don't get sucked in. .

But for some bosses it's the boss itself that's blocking your vision... How the hell could you fix that

Then again, with walls, perhaps they intentionally let it close in the camera to simulate the fact you've got your back to the wall and to increase pressure

I love that the second (brown) one actively hides behind the other. Ingenious.

Not when you're locked on, which 99% of the games enemies demand

I think the problem is that it has the same camera from the other games but they didn't adjust its lock on or tracking to the substantially faster speed

Oct 30, 2017
I just beat it and it wouldn't be so frustrating if you didn't have to fight someone else first and in his last phase the game can't seem to be consistent with which attacks he can tank or not. Sure it was difficult but I didn't really feel ecstatic when I beat him, more so relieved I didn't have to keep throwing myself at the wall. It's the only From game that's ended like that for me.

Try
the other endboss
in NG+

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
9jdzqtB.gif

Just a cool shot of Wolf while I try and get gifs that aren't spoilery. XD

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone think that the Ending where you send the Dragon Rot curse back to the west relates Sekiro to Dark Souls or Bloodborne?
The west in Sekiro refers to China.

That said I do believe the game relates to Bloodborne. The parasites in the water at Fountainhead that grant immortality do seem to have some relation to some of the creatures in Bloodborne. Just look at the headless guardian ape and the headless bloodletting beast side by side.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
How do you skip phase 1? I figured out how to skip phase 2 easily enough, but phase 1?

As soon as you enter the battle arena, grapple yourself to first tree. From there, grapple to the big tree (third one) behind where CM lands as quickly as possible. If done fast enough, you can plunge jump deathblow the boss.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The west in Sekiro refers to China.

That said I do believe the game relates to Bloodborne. The parasites in the water at Fountainhead that grant immortality do seem to have some relation to some of the creatures in Bloodborne. Just look at the headless guardian ape and the headless bloodletting beast side by side.
oh right... I didn't even think that it's a chinese dragon to begin with. I was hoping there was some ground to that theory. All their recent games feature some sort of immortality curse.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Try
the other endboss
in NG+

As much as I do like this game im not sure I want to dive into another playthrough yet. Gonna use this drought period until Judgement and the FFXIV expansion to catch up on some of my backlog.

I wanna give a little time so settle before giving a definitive ranking but rn I'm feeling; Souls 1 > Souls 3 > Bloodborne > Sekiro > Souls 2

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Y'all told me ng+ was a cakewalk,bunch of liars.
All these hp and attack power and i still get my ass handed from time to time,it's definitely more fun with all these upgrades and abilities from the get go though.
This run will be totally about experimentation,ng run was just to get decent at best tbh.
I'm basically doing normal mode without kuro's charm now imo.

Oct 30, 2017
As much as I do like this game im not sure I want to dive into another playthrough yet. Gonna use this drought period until Judgement and the FFXIV expansion to catch up on some of my backlog.

I wanna give a little time so settle before giving a definitive ranking but rn I'm feeling; Souls 1 > Souls 3 > Bloodborne > Sekiro > Souls 2

Fair enough. I felt very similarily after finishing it because I've never been interested in NG+ in other FROM titles, but ended up giving it a try and played through the "shorter path" NG+ in one evening. You can skip a lot of content and don't need any additional items, which is nice.

MrTommo2304

Apr 4, 2019
Managed to get a few smaller things done last night, wanted to do a bit of clean-up before heading into Fountainhead proper.

Killed the Shichimen Warriors in the Bottomless Hole and the Ape's cave, finally. Also killed the Headless in the lake. Still need to go and kill the one in the forest...

Sh0k

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to max out your health/posture in your first play through or do you have to do it in NG+? I think I have upgrade it around 8 times so far and I'm at the end of the game and no more mini bosses to fight to get extra charms.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Is it possible to max out your health/posture in your first play through or do you have to do it in NG+? I think I have upgrade it around 8 times so far and I'm at the end of the game and no more mini bosses to fight to get extra charms.

Yep, but it's tied behind a late game optional quest.
There are 2 prayer beads you can't get off you miss this.

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
Managed to get a few smaller things done last night, wanted to do a bit of clean-up before heading into Fountainhead proper.

Killed the Shichimen Warriors in the Bottomless Hole and the Ape's cave, finally. Also killed the Headless in the lake. Still need to go and kill the one in the forest...

Like you, I went to clean out these bosses (especially the one in the forest). And it's way easier than I thought. With the right equipment you just rush them not even blocking :p

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Sekiro 2 is now the new Bloodborne 2 for me.

Too bad the IP is in Activision's hands, they are too unforgiving when it comes to games that doesn't sell like hot cakes.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Late game boss spoilers:

Is he called Demon of Hatred because he wants you to hate the game?

Honestly, wtf is this Dark Souls boss doing in this game?

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on the last area I guess, it is quite big! I fought many enemies, strenght enemies, and still not found a checkpoint... also there is an annoying
enemy that is throwing thunderbolts at me... I just cant explore free the area... I guess I have to find and kill him before being free...
I also started to use puppeteer Ninjutsu Skill and found out it is incredibly fun and useful!

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
What quest is this? I'm approaching the end and want to make sure I dont miss it.

I'll try to be as vague as possible here, just so I don't accidentally spoil past where you are.

Once you've fought the second boss late in the game on Ashina Castle's rooftop, you can eavesdrop on Kuro if you hide behind the wall where he is standing. If you speak to Emma, you can do a series of talks in different locations with her, which end with you eavesdropping on her at the Sculptor's place. Confront her after this, and you'll be able to get the prayer beads.

The cut off point is either when you enter the last main level of the game, or when you finish it.

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Late game boss spoilers:

I decided to tackle him in a future playthrough when I've become a pro, haha. I love the lore and the setpieces and everything so I'm fine with "skipping" it. Actually, there's nothing wrong with not defeating him becoming canon for my first playthrough. :D This game! This gaaaame! The final new area and how the lore parts of earlier places make sense now is magical.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll try to be as vague as possible here, just so I don't accidentally spoil past where you are.

Once you've fought the second boss late in the game on Ashina Castle's rooftop, you can eavesdrop on Kuro if you hide behind the wall where he is standing. If you speak to Emma, you can do a series of talks in different locations with her, which end with you eavesdropping on her at the Sculptor's place. Confront her after this, and you'll be able to get the prayer beads.

The cut off point is either when you enter the last main level of the game, or when you finish it.

The flashback to the estate with Owl? She gave me a bell but no beads though.

Cause if so that's what I'm doing right now.

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't so bad once I got the charm back. Without it I was getting completely humiliated. I've been doing mostly OK since I got it back, even destroyed Father Owl where I struggled so much in NG and DoH wasn't bad at all. But right now the last boss is destroying me. I often don't even make it to phase 2 (of Isshin, that is, Genichiro isn't a problem unless I'm super sloppy).

Time to get some sleep and try again another day I guess. I am now dreading NG++ since I might want to try the Shura ending there. I wonder if I should just make a new save for that one...
What helped me in that fight was stop respecting him. On my first playthrough he wasn't an issue at all because I wasn't having too much trouble with the game, so I didn't respect anyone, just stayed in their faces hitting them. But NG+ without the charm humbled me, it made me scared of missing a parry, and that gives him space to use all of his strongest moves, that have a somewhat slow startup, and are mostly gap closing moves. If you stay in his face, he can't use any of the stronger moves. He'll try, but you can just R1 him out of the startup.

Once I stopped trying to play safe and went in, I beat him on the second try. But before that? I lost count.

I think you should go for Shura on NG++, just in case you decide to get all the achievements, since the Shura ending gives you a skill, and you need every skill in one character to get the achievement. It'll certainly be a lot harder if you decide to platinum it later and have to play NG++ after not touching the game for a few months.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Sekiro 2 is now the new Bloodborne 2 for me.

Too bad the IP is in Activision's hands, they are too unforgiving when it comes to games that doesn't sell like hot cakes.

Activision's role is really minimum when it comes to deciding whether the game gets a sequel or DLC or has any mtx model. They're merely distributors and QA testers.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Late game boss spoilers:

He's honestly not too bad, it's just the fact that the game isn't really built for a fight like that that makes it hard.
If you have the fire umbrella, that helps a hell of a lot.

Just parry his stomps and stay under him, then umbrella when he does the big jump in the air followed by a body slam, but keep it up for a second, as there's a blowback when he lands. You don't need to bother about posture, so you can take your time.

The Malcontent finger will stun him for 3 uses, but honestly I think saving spirit emblems for the fire umbrella is so much more useful, considering you deal so much damage to him anyway. It's a get out of jail free card against basically everything he does.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Went into NG++ (NG+ final boss "only" took me an hour this time) and I'm like halfway through the game already. I think I'll go for Shura this time. I need just one more lazuli which is annoying, but I'd have to do another playthrough anyway. The steps for the Return ending seem a little involved and I might have already screwed up having killed Gen already so I'll just do that next time

Just started using the FPS unlock, no problems with it so far other than having to run it every time I launch the game

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
So now that I've learned to parry ok in Sekiro, I'm considering a Dark Souls run focused on parrying after this. How similar or different is parrying between the 2 games. I beat DS1 and DS3 with no parrying...but now parrying is fun.

At this point, Sekiro's combat is my favorite not only amongst all From Software games but amongst all 3rd person hack and slash games. Going to be hard to play these other games without the counter systems.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I just beat it and it wouldn't be so frustrating if you didn't have to fight someone else first and in his last phase the game can't seem to be consistent with which attacks he can tank or not. Sure it was difficult but I didn't really feel ecstatic when I beat him, more so relieved I didn't have to keep throwing myself at the wall. It's the only From game that's ended like that for me.

I dunno, last phase to me just felt like more of phase 2 but with free lightning to take massive chunks of his health. After so many tries I ended up memorizing the first 3 fights well enough to just tank the last phase with most of my gourds.

The first fight is maybe a little excessive and tedious on replays but he goes down really easily if you just parry him.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
So now that I've learned to parry ok in Sekiro, I'm considering a Dark Souls run focused on parrying after this. How similar or different is parrying between the 2 games. I beat DS1 and DS3 with no parrying...but now parrying is fun.

At this point, Sekiro's combat is my favorite not only amongst all From Software games but amongst all 3rd person hack and slash games. Going to be hard to play these other games without the counter systems.

Fairly different. It's not as fluid on Souls, and you need to time it differently. Demon's Souls is probably the most fun parry Souls.