• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Just reached Fountainhead Palace. The previous boss kicked my ass more than several times over, but man it was a hoot. Running around him and using whirlwind slashes at the right moment made it better to land reliable amounts of HP damage. However so far no boss has made me feel like it's completely unbalanced in terms of difficulty.
Used the same approach. Crappy bossfight. It's just a drawn out fight... which is my biggest problem with Sekiro. It's feels like the game constantly wants to test your concentration, because whenever you make a mistake nearly all bosses cuts you down in 1-2 hits and you have to start over.

And for this specific boss, then you also have to skip through that same dialogue and cutscene each time... Definitely not FromSoft's brightest moment.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
From the man itself:

"I personally want my games to be described as satisfying rather than difficult," Miyazaki said. "However, I suppose gamers do not particularly prefer easy games. What they want is interesting and worthwhile games to play, so I think it is natural that hindrance or stress that does not attribute to such interesting and worthwhile elements will be removed in the end."

Hidetaka Miyazaki - "Dark Souls director says difficulty serves satisfaction" Gamespot - 2012

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if it's possible to fight
Owl 2.0
if you're going for the return ending? I never got to eavesdrop on Ema and Kuro....I'm at the last boss fight but would love to give that one a try....

They are not mutually exclusive, so you can do the triggers for them at the same time. The only mutually exclusive ending is bad end.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
About the Ape boss:

I was chilling around after beating him. Took me like 5 times or so, don't like any boss with terror garbage.

So anyway. I was trying to find a certain NPC and then I saw a guy at the poison pool place all blooded and shit say something about an Ape.

And then I was fighting not one but two fucking apes.

I won on the first try. I don't even know how I did it.

WTF

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
If phase 2 of the final boss was the last phase I'd push through. I can see myself eventually powering through it and getting lucky. Possibly. But knowing there's 2 phases after it. Nah. No point. Because I might be able to power through phase 2 once. But I'm NEVER going to be at a point where I can consistently get past it to reach other phases regularly. NOW I really am giving up I gave it more of a shot than I had any right to. I should have powered the console off 2 hours ago if I had any sense.

You have come this far. So you have got it in you. It's a more extended version of Geniricho.

Honestly, the moment I fought him it seemed impossible. But I beat him today. Without of a word of a lie: it's super satisfying. Towards the end I could do the first 2 phases flawlessly on a regular basis.

That's what makes this boss so fair. If you really are good enough, it's entirely possible to do it damageless. Not saying I can ever, but it's possible. So it's more than possible to beat him with 10 health gourds.

Tips:
-do not use your items yet. Feel confident with the boss first. Try to get the hang of the first 3 phases. Once you do, feel free to use items to make it easier.

- learn the counters (jump, mikiri)
- when he does his quick attack, move to a safe distance. He will be open after doing this move: attack
- when he uses the ichimonji, dodge to his side and attack
- parry! Some of his moves have a nice parry rhythm (phase 2)
- use firecrackers if needed to heal, since he likes to attack fast when you are healing, or make sure you got enough space.

Practice makes perfect honestly.

I did not bother with DOH. He feels bullshit. The final boss really isn't bs though. Very fair fight.

BlackSalad

Oct 27, 2017
Re: 7 spears and friend:

You can use the echo whistle to lure the samurai and get him with a death blow, then grapple over to the tree branches and move down the path a bit to de-agro seven Spears. Once he goes back to his spot you can sneak up and death blow him once.
That fight can be fast if you deflect his hard hitting attack where he stand still and spins around his spear, that will take down a ton of his posture even at full health. You can finish him in a couple minutes with deflecting

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Beat Rob's dad on the third try. Come across Centipded guy and have now tried like, 8 times. I am ass.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I did not bother with DOH. He feels bullshit. The final boss really isn't bs though. Very fair fight.

I honestly disagree. The final boss is insanely, absurdly fast and his follow-up attacks come out so quickly after a parry it's almost impossible to react to them. More than anything else, I get taken down by one of his ultra-quick follow-up swings than any other moves he has.

It's almost entirely a reflexes fight rather than a strategy fight, and reflexes fights just aren't fun if your reflexes aren't up to snuff.

Beat Rob's dad on the third try. Come across Centipded guy and have now tried like, 8 times. I am ass.

The parry timing for his attacks is 1,2,3,4 (pause) 1,2,3,4 (pause) 1. As long as you get the rhythm down you can pretty much iron wall him until his stamina is gone. If you're smart you can also jump in from the rafters and stealth KO his first gauge away, making the fight half as long. Also, his smaller buddies can be instakilled with a jump attack, so after you stealth KO his first gauge, run around the room and jump on all of his buddies so they can't interrupt you and you should be able to crush him.

Mar 29, 2018
Regarding DoH, is there anything to lose by not fighting him? I got the impression very much that it's a totally optional boss that doesn't do anything other than give you another Memory/attack upgrade. It doesn't affect any story or quest, does it?

Might skip it on my NG+s :/

I finally won ^^ I feel bad that it took so long, because in the end it felt easy when I did it :)
Is there a particular reason not to go straight to NG+?
I don't think so, just go for NG+. Game's pretty short on subsequent playthroughs anyway.
Fuck the endboss 😂. Iam still at 1.0 because I have probs with my net. Did they balance him or something? Should I wait for the patches?
Yeah I'm pretty sure they did. Could be wrong though.

Deleted member 36749

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 24, 2017
Atlanta

You can use the echo whistle to lure the samurai and get him with a death blow, then grapple over to the tree branches and move down the path a bit to de-agro seven Spears. Once he goes back to his spot you can sneak up and death blow him once.
That fight can be fast if you deflect his hard hitting attack where he stand still and spins around his spear, that will take down a ton of his posture even at full health. You can finish him in a couple minutes with deflecting

For anyone needing to see the example of this guys post I put it up in my last post with the video...at least then part about luring the friend away.

Also if you wedge 7 spears between you and his buddy the 2 of you can take turns slashinghim, eliminating the need for a death blow. ,

Mar 29, 2018
If phase 2 of the final boss was the last phase I'd push through. I can see myself eventually powering through it and getting lucky. Possibly. But knowing there's 2 phases after it. Nah. No point. Because I might be able to power through phase 2 once. But I'm NEVER going to be at a point where I can consistently get past it to reach other phases regularly. NOW I really am giving up I gave it more of a shot than I had any right to. I should have powered the console off 2 hours ago if I had any sense.
Just leave it a couple of days and come back.

The thing these games really demand is time. This is the first Soulsborne game I've finished multiple times and I finally get it. You need lots of hours each week for quite a few weeks to really learn and learn and learn. Like almost a lootshooter (e.g. Destiny) commitment for a while to "git gud". I don't even think skill comes into it that much.

Come back with a clear/relaxed mind and you'll be able to memorise Phase 3 and 4's moves much more easily. And he'll just keep getting easier from there. Still a tough boss, though.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fuck this, what the fuck is this?

I got to his 2nd phase once after burning through all my gourds and 1 pellet, I bet he's got a third form too.

Wtf am I supposed to do, he has so few openings and so many ways to fuck you up.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
They are not mutually exclusive, so you can do the triggers for them at the same time. The only mutually exclusive ending is bad end.
They aren't, but it's still missable;
You need to get the bell from Emma before Ashina is consumed by flames, otherwise Emma will stick around near Isshin and won't give it to you anymore. If you got the bell before that, you can do the Hirata v2 part at any time until you examine Kuro to give him the items (which means you can even beat the Hirata v2 boss AFTER the final boss, I'm like 99% sure
Regarding DoH, is there anything to lose by not fighting him? I got the impression very much that it's a totally optional boss that doesn't do anything other than give you another Memory/attack upgrade. It doesn't affect any story or quest, does it?
I think lore/story-wise it's a really cool boss too, but no, if you already beat him in NG, there's no substantial reward for killing him again in NG+ beyond the Attack upgrade.

DevilNeverCry

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
User warned: posting unmarked spoilers
After reaching what i believe to be the final area of the game , i made a quick video on my impressions of the game so far.
Footage is of the 1st Owl Boss so its pretty straightforward , just got done beating the 2nd Owl Boss and that one was a big pain in the ass to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I honestly disagree. The final boss is insanely, absurdly fast and his follow-up attacks come out so quickly after a parry it's almost impossible to react to them. More than anything else, I get taken down by one of his ultra-quick follow-up swings than any other moves he has.

It's almost entirely a reflexes fight rather than a strategy fight, and reflexes fights just aren't fun if your reflexes aren't up to snuff.

Well I'm not disagreeing with you, since I think souls in general is a reflex game (getting attacked? dodge or parry asap)

However it's more of a combination of memory and skills. Just with geniricho, you knew his moves after a while. Same here. Thats just my opinion.

He went from impossible, to a joke by the end of it. Especially the first 2 phases I was untouchable. Phase 3 I got a lot better too, but had clearly less practice in that phase.

But that's the thing... after 50x attempts if you think you aren't making progress than fair enough. The boss ain't for you. You'll know whether you can do it or not.

Also my history with souls:
Hated demon souls, gave dark souls a chance but dropped it too. However tried again after a year and ended up loving it, but never got back to it after ornstein&smaug (needed a break, which lasted too long clearly)

Lovedddd bloodborne (like fast pace). Thought dark souls 3 was great but did not enjoy it as much as BB or DS1 ( I enjoy the uniqueness of souls-genre, ds3 was more of the same)

Tomeru

May 7, 2018
I overwrote an advanced FP save and need to start that place from the top. Im not gonna bother with that shit. I finished my 1st run with shura ending, found out Im locked out of combat till ng+. So I get there and its the worst place in the game. I'll come back to this eventually. For now its break time.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, Emma is not giving me the bell and she's just sitting next to
Ishin's body

You are past point of no return. In next playthrough make sure all ending related actions are done prior to reaching boss in last new area. Personally, I just did everything prior to reaching last new area every single time.

Devo1989

Nov 9, 2017
Before I go crazy trying to skirt read NPC quests on a wiki...am I really missing much if I don't complete any? Just worrying I miss any optional content really. Just killed
the headless ape

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

The way I do it is i

Pop one of those candies that help your stealth, sneak directly between the two and possess the general on the left. Let them fight.

Not as efficient as your technique, but fun!

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

The parry timing for his attacks is 1,2,3,4 (pause) 1,2,3,4 (pause) 1. As long as you get the rhythm down you can pretty much iron wall him until his stamina is gone. If you're smart you can also jump in from the rafters and stealth KO his first gauge away, making the fight half as long. Also, his smaller buddies can be instakilled with a jump attack, so after you stealth KO his first gauge, run around the room and jump on all of his buddies so they can't interrupt you and you should be able to crush him.
I have the pre fight down. I get all his little guys and deathblow him before having to fully take him on. I've been able to parry most everything else pretty damn good up until this guy. I'll pay attention more to that timing you mentioned, though. I was literally one or two hits away this last time before posting and just fumbled in nervousness for jumping out of the way of his Red Kanji attack. I was deflated. I'll get him.

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the
ELite Samurai on top of the Ashina Castle Chamber
This one was very challenging for me, where to next?

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone that wants to avoid dealing with double minibosses
such as seven spear + general
or just want to stealth kill things before engagement should start using mountain echo + projected force. It's basically how you would have expected ceramic shard to function; setting off a sound at a specified location to lure them there.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
I hated
Demon of Hatred,
then I got it, and wrecked its ass.
I hated
Isshin in the Shura ending,
then I got it, and wrecked his ass.
Now I'm hating
the second fight with the Owl
. I'm not having fun anymore. The exploration, the combat, the lore is great, but certain design decision when it comes to 2-3 late bosses are making the game tedious. I feel like it's difficult for the sake of being difficult and relies a lot on superfast reflexes...which in my 40s are not quite there anymore.
Still, I'll persevere and kick his ass too..

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Bosses — the 3 big skill check fights in particular — are more predictable/scripted in their behavior than they are in Souls & Bloodborne. They're tough because a slight mistake can instantly end everything, and they punish things like healing/item usage & playing timidly harshly. But outside the odd 'wildcard' attack, they generally react the same each time to most situations. By the end of each encounter I knew exactly what they were going to do and could bait them accordingly.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Help on late game boss please..

Hirata owl has kicked my ass about 50 times. Not even beaten his first phase once yet..

I just finally beat this, took forever

I'm in NG+ so my strategy was to open with
dragon flash
2x, you can usually hit him with 3/4 or 4/4 of the hits to start the fight off. If you don't have that, oil +fire might be a decent way to start off the fight
Besides that my spirit emblems were just for firecrackers. Gotta learn his attacks and stay in his face and get a counter R1 in whenever possible to start to whittle his health down. When you're close you can often cancel out his kicks and perilous attacks with your own quick attacks, even his regular swings if you swing a little later (dangerous). You can get behind him during firecracker attacks but it's safer to back the fuck up and wait to see what counter is needed (hopefully mikiri because it's easy to time). Getting stuck near a while while he firecrackers is probably what killed me the most. When he's prepping his overhead slam, slash him 1-2 times and sidestep at the last second, so he doesn't mix the move into a swipe attack instead. Double shuiriken + flip combo is the easiest of his attacks to punish probably. Second stage I used firecrackers more to keep him in place since you have fewer opportunities to attack.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For anyone needing to see the example of this guys post I put it up in my last post with the video...at least then part about luring the friend away.

Also if you wedge 7 spears between you and his buddy the 2 of you can take turns slashinghim, eliminating the need for a death blow. ,
An easier strat is using the cloaking item, going right to the tree, and backstabbing the captain and using puppeteer. This gives you a 2 v 1 advantage for most of the fight.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I discovered something interesting about the dodge mechanic. If you tap the button without pressing a direction before an attack hits, it seems to automove you in the correct direction. I've been doing this with the final boss once he leaps in the air with the spear, just press dodge as he's bringing the spear down, you'll dash forward and be able to get in a hit. Helps a ton with that fight.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I just finally beat this, took forever

I'm in NG+ so my strategy was to open with
dragon flash
2x, you can usually hit him with 3/4 or 4/4 of the hits to start the fight off. If you don't have that, oil +fire might be a decent way to start off the fight
Besides that my spirit emblems were just for firecrackers. Gotta learn his attacks and stay in his face and get a counter R1 in whenever possible to start to whittle his health down. When you're close you can often cancel out his kicks and perilous attacks with your own quick attacks, even his regular swings if you swing a little later (dangerous). You can get behind him during firecracker attacks but it's safer to back the fuck up and wait to see what counter is needed (hopefully mikiri because it's easy to time). Getting stuck near a while while he firecrackers is probably what killed me the most. When he's prepping his overhead slam, slash him 1-2 times and sidestep at the last second, so he doesn't mix the move into a swipe attack instead. Double shuiriken + flip combo is the easiest of his attacks to punish probably. Second stage I used firecrackers more to keep him in place since you have fewer opportunities to attack.

Took me 4 hours but I finally beat him. Just learned his moves and chipped away at him slow and methodically

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I beat the raging bull just now and am having a damn great time with this game. I think I really suck most at the Samurai mini bosses. I can never tell if the alert they trigger is for a low sweeping blow or for a grab and fuck it up all the time.

Also, any good strategies for these asshole ninja enemies on the rooftops? Very frustrating.

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
I think my other half thought there had been a home invasion as I yelled horribly loud just then on the last boss. I then promptly hit shadow play

Oct 26, 2017
UK
If you ever fight him again (either) try using oil and flame vent. He has many attacks that can be punished with a charged blast, and the vitality damage is pretty significant.

I've loved this game but I'm not sure I'll be doing a new game plus lol.

Its funny tho that was the first time I even got to his second phase and I managed to beat him.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
I've loved this game but I'm not sure I'll be doing a new game plus lol.

Its funny tho that was the first time I even got to his second phase and I managed to beat him.

A lot of second phases makes the fight easier as the inserted mechanic is easier to deal with, but it also eats into probability of other moves being used, so you have overall easier moveset to deal with. It's one thing that could be improved upon in the future.

Moose the Mooche

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Got my first serious attempt at the final boss and on my second try i managed to get to the
3th phase with no heals left whatsoever so he got me down fast. Second tries after that i could het him down to his second orb. I think i found a way to got his first phase done without much pain. Must retry it tho.

Seems hard but doable