• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Hell yeah, nice job. I do that all the time with these games: get fucked in half by a boss for 8 hours straight, go to sleep, next day after work I come home and destroy them. The mind is a weird thing.

Seems to happen to me a lot. I didn't do anything different except remember to stay patient but aggressive. In any case hitting the last counter to stagger the enemy for the death blow..what a rush.

Will have to dip into NG+ this weekend..

Amirnol

Oct 27, 2017
I am missing two prayer beads and I know where from (an area now locked off to me). If I go into NG+, will I keep my current beads and then be able to grab the two I missed?

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Finally gotten back to playing and Im so god damn lost. I only fought 2 main
horse dude and butterfly
bosses and now Im in a forest full of mist? I think its mist…
I am sure Im missing some important steps. I literally only been coming across mini-bosses. Who did I miss?

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
No question, those Snake Eyes prick enemies, are the toughest and most annoying in the entire game, never has a From enemy design, pissed me off like these do!
ya, they are total bullshit lol. not even the anor londo archers were this annoying, or the angels in dark souls 3 DLC which were scrub tier enemies and cheap ass game design. These guys are whack on the snow bridge and on the depths.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I do love this game, but man groups of later game enemies working you is a deflating, shitty experience.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
No question, those Snake Eyes prick enemies, are the toughest and most annoying in the entire game, never has a From enemy design, pissed me off like these do!
In typical FromSoft game fashion, I think what I hate the most about them is their grab attack. The hitbox on that thing is completely, utterly absurd, lol.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Gave it another shot...and I beat him! Didn't have any healing items left at the end.

I basically ignored his posture meter and chipped away at his health. I was really just waiting for that plunging attack to hit him. The most time-consuming, but definitely the safest approach.
Hey, you got through it -- that approach definitely takes the longest (and still has a decent amount of risk), but it's good that the game allows for it.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished my 5th playthrough...in a bit less than 1 hour and 25 minutes, lol. I love this game so much.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
I do love this game, but man groups of later game enemies working you is a deflating, shitty experience.
Every group can be whittled down with stealth so I'm not too chuffed about those. Sekiro's a shinobi, not an uber sword saint. Gotta leverage dat shinobi speed.
In typical FromSoft game fashion, I think what I hate the most about them is their grab attack. The hitbox on that thing is completely, utterly absurd, lol.
Literally every grab attack in this game makes me think "BULLSHIT!" the moment it lands. The ogre's especially. I have to play way too damn cautiously just to not get grabbed all day long.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017

Use your tools and skills. There are a lot of strong options to quickly thin out their numbers. Since those encounters are always strength in number, use all your resources upfront is the better approach.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, maybe for you, but I'm not sure. I don't find "more satisfying than the first run" which I played without the bell. I found it plenty hard already. And I don't feel that overpowered in NG, since enemies hit like damn trucks... and I know that my HP bar won't ever increase again either. ;_;

I guess I'll try Genichiro and see how it goes. Here's my progress in NG+ so far and the hurdles I've faced:

I got as far as Genichiro without attempting him just yet, wanted to check other areas first to get a feel of how they were in NG+.

Most very early mini-bosses were not a big deal (like the generals, or the Shinobi hunter, which I borderline-cheesed with a stealth deathblow + ). The purple ninjas like the pagoda one or the Lone Swordsman were also not too bad, considering how much trouble they gave me in NG, but I also got slightly gud I guess.

The 7 spears general wasn't trivial though, I can manage OK against most attacks but if I make one mistake I'm totally fucked; for instance if I whiff a parry and take chip damage, and then mess up the jump on his sweeping kanji attack, I'm dead. If I deflect mostly OK but my posture is drained, I'm dead. Etc. Same thing happened with the Glutton in Hidden Forest, I took only 2 tries but it was incredibly close and I used oil/flame vent as leverage because he hits so hard that even if his attacks aren't that hard to deflect or avoid, I die super fast.

The Snake Eyes in the poison pool was the worst. For some reason she was much, much harder than the one in Gun Valley despite being able to do 1 stealth deathblow... kinda crazy, not sure how. She hits less hard maybe? Or maybe the sabimaru really fucked her up something fierce whereas the poison pool one is basically immune (the same combo I spammed on her did nothing, and she also took forever to get poisoned by the pool so I avoided this "cheese" strat, might be an NG+ thing but Shirafuji got poisoned fast enough with sabimaru... I figured it was the "they live in poison areas so they are more resistant" thing, though the wikis say both are weak to poison... :thonk: )?

IDK. But I retried Shirahagi like 10+ times and I'd often get fucked over by the chip damage, because her grab attack is a near OHKO and if I took even one chip damage I'd have to heal it, otherwise if I get hit by the grab attack I was dead. And I don't think she would have been trivial without the charm, I'd still need to be careful because she hits so hard, but at least I wouldn't get fucked over by the chip damage like that.

I later made it to O'Rin and got wrecked insanely fast. She's a real deflection check, and not in the easy spammy way the Centipede monsters were; the parry timing is trickier there and while I only tried her like 2-3 times, I couldn't even get to 1 deathblow before she ruined me (rarely any time to heal either, she punishes that pretty fast).

I dunno, it just seems too brutal for my skill level. :( I might try and skip her and use the water/bridge shortcut to reach the ghost monk (can I fight her before Genichiro? I kind of want to try her with the charm on), and if not, I'll try Genichiro and see how it goes, but Genichiro, whilst challenging, was never the huge barrier a lot of other enemies have been in NG, but I assume the lack of charm will change this. Would he really be trivial in NG+ with the charm?

Keep in mind I'm an average player, not a beast. I died like 30+ times to Father Owl, at least 20+ times to Isshin (Purification ending). Early in NG I died ridiculous amounts of times to the pagoda purple ninja and Seven Spears too. Overall I think Father Owl was the hardest fight. Genichiro, Guardian Ape, Headless Ape, Great Shinobi Owl and Corrupted Monk were OK, only a few tries each (surprisingly few tries for Headless Ape, thought it'd be worse). Gyobou was easy, and Lady Butterfly in NG destroyed me until I returned to her later with twice as many gourds and more attack/HP and I did OK, no problems with her in NG+ either since she's not a parry-focused boss.

I dunno, I found the Lothric Castle/Grand Archives to be pretty brutal at time, with L&L being the hardest boss in the vanilla game for me.

Every single one of those enemies you mentioned are exactly the same ones that should be giving people in trouble in their charmless runs. It matches my experience almost exactly.

I remember getting to 7 spears and getting my butt destroyed, I chalked it up to a simple mistake on my part. Tried it again and died, again and again, eventually I just left and did other things until my mind cleared and I got him later.

Same deal with snake eyes, they are deceptively hard, it feels like they only have about 3-4 attacks and they're all super easy to dodge but you mess up once and there goes your entire life bar. I died to them way more than I care to admit.

You can take the shortcut to fight CM before fighting Genichiro. Neither of them are much harder than what you faced in your first run. Guardian ape gave me a ton of trouble during its second phase because I didn't attempt to deflect its sword slashes to make him fall down in front of you to get that massive opening and use the spear. Regular Owl made me turn off the bell and I questioned whether or not I could actually complete my run without the charm. You'll find that the best strategy against Owl is constantly staying on him and not giving him any distance. I found that you can dash into him when he throws the firecrackers, giving you a bit of time to get some free hits in. All that time I spent on him paid off because I managed to kill Father Owl on my second try with the bell on this time and it was my first crack at the boss because I missed it the first time around.

There's my Father Owl video. I can guarantee you that I was nowhere near that good at parrying before pretty much being forced to. You can also see I figured out to dash into the firecrackers a few minutes into the fight and what used to be a retreat turned into damage. I think it's hard to see, and you feel utterly hopeless sometimes, but you're getting better as a result of not having the charm. Keep trying and see how far you can get. At least you can say you tried and there's absolutely nothing wrong with getting it back. Good luck :o Are you recording your boss attempts by any chance?

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I am enjoying this at all.
Spent 20+ tries fighting some spear dude, ended up alt+f4 probably while game was saving. which probably means my save is dead.
For what its worth, I died the most on that spear guy, and had my biggest flare ups of rage on him.
I kept stubbornly fighting him, then occasionally coming back to fight him, with the thought in mind that I have everything at my disposal, so I should be able to beat him.

Many hours later, after realizing that the game always has multiple routes and ways to approach or avoid encounters that are too overwhelming at first, I finally came back to him and it all "clicked" and I was able to wear down his posture. As someone said above, the axe helped a bit too, as did learning how to bait and deal with the fodder enemies that I couldn't shake.

If nothing else, as you naturally progress through the game and find prayer beads, gourds and techniques, you will get stronger and eventually get him even if you can't manage to perfect reading if you should jump or makiri.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Every attack on that mini-boss can be avoided by jumping. That sort of feels like the point of the fight. Huge hit boxes and stupid tracking that can all be broken with a simple jump anything else and you will likely get hit.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
Ok on the gun fort cliffs, what is going on with jumping up to grab ledges? It shows X to ledge hang but seems super hard to get him to grab it. Is there a trick to it?

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Every single one of those enemies you mentioned are exactly the same ones that should be giving people in trouble in their charmless runs. It matches my experience almost exactly.

I remember getting to 7 spears and getting my butt destroyed, I chalked it up to a simple mistake on my part. Tried it again and died, again and again, eventually I just left and did other things until my mind cleared and I got him later.

Same deal with snake eyes, they are deceptively hard, it feels like they only have about 3-4 attacks and they're all super easy to dodge but you mess up once and there goes your entire life bar. I died to them way more than I care to admit.

You can take the shortcut to fight CM before fighting Genichiro. Neither of them are much harder than what you faced in your first run. Guardian ape gave me a ton of trouble during its second phase because I didn't attempt to deflect its sword slashes to make him fall down in front of you to get that massive opening and use the spear. Regular Owl made me turn off the bell and I questioned whether or not I could actually complete my run without the charm. You'll find that the best strategy against Owl is constantly staying on him and not giving him any distance. I found that you can dash into him when he throws the firecrackers, giving you a bit of time to get some free hits in. All that time I spent on him paid off because I managed to kill Father Owl on my second try with the bell on this time and it was my first crack at the boss because I missed it the first time around.

There's my Father Owl video. I can guarantee you that I was nowhere near that good at parrying before pretty much being forced to. You can also see I figured out to dash into the firecrackers a few minutes into the fight and what used to be a retreat turned into damage. I think it's hard to see, and you feel utterly hopeless sometimes, but you're getting better as a result of not having the charm. Keep trying and see how far you can get. At least you can say you tried and there's absolutely nothing wrong with getting it back. Good luck :o Are you recording your boss attempts by any chance?

OK cool, I'll try the ghost Corrupted Monk without the charm (that's what I meant to write the first time, I messed up when I wrote "with charm" lol) before Genichiro. I think Guardian Ape is locked before Genichiro though, the door to Sunken Valley is locked.

But yeah I'll try the Monk, and if that goes OK I'll try Genichiro and come back to O'Rin later, but yeah O'Rin is nastyyyyy without the charm, jesus. She didn't give me that much trouble in NG, I didn't even use a confetti, but even with a confetti this time she wrecked me. The umbrella is also not the OP tool it was in NG since you take chip damage through it without the charm now too.... that thing saved my ass against Isshin's wind sweep attacks, doing that boss in NG+ without it... ulp.

I'll continue to try without the charm but I'm not sure if I have it in me. lol

Edit: oh, to answer your other question, no I am not recording anything. I'm playing on PC and don't have the software.

Last edited:

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Last boss, get to phase 3 without getting hit, next run die in 5 seconds. Repeat endlessly. LOL

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Every attack on that mini-boss can be avoided by jumping. That sort of feels like the point of the fight. Huge hit boxes and stupid tracking that can all be broken with a simple jump anything else and you will likely get hit.
I know, but in Snake Eyes' particular case, the jump is sometimes not enough. If you jump too soon she would sometimes catch you as you fall down. If you double-jump (to do a dropkick smash) it would sometimes work, but again, if you don't actually time it perfectly, she still grabs you in mid-air. I haaaaaate this move lol

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know, but in Snake Eyes' particular case, the jump is sometimes not enough. If you jump too soon she would sometimes catch you as you fall down. If you double-jump (to do a dropkick smash) it would sometimes work, but again, if you don't actually time it perfectly, she still grabs you in mid-air. I haaaaaate this move lol

For some reason I thought you were talking about the Ogre. Never even had a problem with either of snake eyes, but did just jump those grabs as well.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Use your tools and skills. There are a lot of strong options to quickly thin out their numbers. Since those encounters are always strength in number, use all your resources upfront is the better approach.
It's these little guys in the hats. Two swarmed me immediately when I landed on a rooftop while one was sniping from a distance. I do need to use tools more.

Chance

Nov 22, 2017
Ok on the gun fort cliffs, what is going on with jumping up to grab ledges? It shows X to ledge hang but seems super hard to get him to grab it. Is there a trick to it?

If it's grabbing a ledge above you some and you're like double-jumping off the wall to reach it - some of the jump distances are pretty tight. You've gotta let your first jump hit max height before kicking off, and then go for the grab before you reach max height on the 2nd.

If you're talking about a ledge you're making a horizontal leap for it's way easier - just hold down the grab button and Sekiro will hold out a hand and nab it as he sails by.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty weird actually, since phase 3 is just like phase 2 but easier due to the electricity counters, they shave off a MASSIVE amount of his health.
Actually 3 out of 4. Getting better at it though. Trying to get the timing on his 7-hit combo down, which is proving to be a little weird because of its variable speed. Framerate on base PS4 is doing me no favors.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
It's these little guys in the hats. Two swarmed me immediately when I landed on a rooftop while one was sniping from a distance. I do need to use tools more.

They can be annoying as they are very passive until they deflect you. Their weakness is thrust or spiral spear charged attack. They like to dodge when you activate an attack, but spear tracks extremely well. Alternatively, blood blade ninjutsu makes them unable to stagger you through a deflect and you can just mash r1 till they are dead.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
They can be annoying as they are very passive until they deflect you. Their weakness is thrust or spiral spear charged attack. They like to dodge when you activate an attack, but spear tracks extremely well. Alternatively, blood blade ninjutsu makes them unable to stagger you through a deflect and you can just mash r1 till they are dead.
Ah, I don't have those things yet. Maybe I'm going too far one way and missed some stuff. Oops...

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I'm assuming that the monks ended up killing Robert trying to turn him into a Divine Child and then hid the truth from his father to keep him under their thumb. Note that he says his son "will receive the waters", which shows that he thinks Robert is still alive, at least.
That's awful ;(

man these devs are cold as ice

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Final boss down!

What an incredible fight. It requires everything you've learned to beat, and when you do beat him, you feel really badass! He took me about 7 or 8 attempts. The first few attempts were just figuring out his move sets, but once I was able to get the timing down he really wasn't too hard, but he was a ton of fun. I think he might be From's best Boss yet.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Last boss, phase 4 is coming easier. Now to just see if I can remember to do the lightning counters correctly. Easier said than done. :P

KLoWn

Oct 27, 2017
Actually 3 out of 4. Getting better at it though. Trying to get the timing on his 7-hit combo down, which is proving to be a little weird because of its variable speed. Framerate on base PS4 is doing me no favors.
Oh, sorry. I didn't count the first phase due to it not being
Isshin.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Those Snake eyes mini bosses seemed easy enough for me, I dunno.

I've got questions regarding, well, the order of doing things and some possible events. It's my first run and I'm 5 bosses in.

Done so far, in order: Gyoubu, Butterfly, Genishiro, illusive halls monkeys, valley guardian ape.

Last boss I've defeated was the Ape Guardian on the Sunken Valley. I had been previously to the venom pool idol on the Depths but I hadn't gone any far into the tunnel or anything. The enemies there were standard sunken valley shooting enemies, one shotgun enemy and one of the Snake eyes ladies. I just took them out and then farmed a bit before going for the big Ape.

After beating the Ape on the valley, the only main path left is supposedly the Depths. When I came back the huts in the environment are destroyed and the enemies are now Ashina bombardiers. I proceed through the tunnel and there's a fucking Guardian Ape zombie without head, wtf!

Is it the same if you go there before defeating the Ape on the valley? Did I miss anything inside the Depths?

If you do it the other way around (first the Depths then the Valley) do the enemies in the Depths change at all and does it get a new ape too?

And while I'm at it, I sent the samurai to the dungeon and the big monk is in the illusive halls. Did I totally fuck up the Ashina stairs vendor quest until ng plus? I don't know of anyone I could send him to help with looting corpses...

Thanks, and please explain as little as possible on the npc quest or possible spoilers.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Those Snake eyes mini bosses seemed easy enough for me, I dunno.

I've got questions regarding, well, the order of doing things and some possible events. It's my first run and I'm 5 bosses in.

Last boss I've defeated was the Ape Guardian on the Sunken Valley. I had been previously to the venom pool idol on the Depths but I hadn't gone any far into the tunnel or anything. The enemies there were standard sunken valley shooting enemies, one shotgun enemy and one of the Snake eyes ladies. I just took them out and then farmed a bit before going for the big Ape.

After beating the Ape on the valley, the only main path left is supposedly the Depths. When I came back the huts in the environment are destroyed and the enemies are now Ashina bombardiers. I proceed through the tunnel and there's a fucking Guardian Ape zombie without head, wtf!

Is it the same if you go there before defeating the Ape on the valley? Did I miss anything inside the Depths?

If you do it the other way around (first the Depths then the Valley) do the enemies in the Depths change at all and does it get a new ape too?

And while I'm at it, I sent the samurai to the dungeon and the big monk is in the illusive halls. Did I totally fuck up the Ashina stairs vendor quest until ng plus? I don't know of anyone I could send him to help with looting corpses...

Thanks, and please explain as little as possible on the npc quest or possible spoilers.
1. You didn't miss anything.
2. If you do it the other way around then nothing changes in the Sunken Valley
3.You have messed up that side quest until NG+. The game is designed in such a way that completing certain quests locks you out of others.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Question about an art, and whether it's worth it.

Whatever art Isshin gives you (that you can later get from Emma), is it any good? I'm on the final boss and have enough points to purchase some stuff, but I could also just raise my attack, which I'm guessing would be more helpful.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Question about an art, and whether it's worth it.

Whatever art Isshin gives you (that you can later get from Emma), is it any good? I'm on the final boss and have enough points to purchase some stuff, but I could also just raise my attack, which I'm guessing would be more helpful.

If you're going for plat DO NOT raise your attack power with skill points. It makes the grind so much worse if you're going for the trophy

Trust me, I know from experience, not worth it

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I will give up on this charmless NG+ run. It's too punishing and I'm really, really struggling. Minor mid-bosses are giving me more trouble than I care to admit (I died to Robertooooo many times lol, never once in NG), and since everything hits like a truck in NG+, with many attacks bordering on OHKO, the not-so-chip damage from imperfect parries really makes a huge difference.
My first playthrough i gave Kuro his item back. I didn't know what i did since it was launch day and not enough info out there for what that meant. I gotta admit, it made my first play through a lot more enjoyable, had the difficulty altering item too for a bit.
Btw how do you spoiler like that?

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Playing this game makes me think how far we've come. I was looking at Wolf's outfit. His clothe hanging on the back all dirty yet looking so good. On ps2 that would have been a muddy texture stuck to his butt.
lol

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
People can fuck the fuck off with the bosses phases talking. That shit is spoiler. Come the fuck on, please.

1. You didn't miss anything.
2. If you do it the other way around then nothing changes in the Sunken Valley
3.You have messed up that side quest until NG+. The game is designed in such a way that completing certain quests locks you out of others.

Thank you very much. But does the Depths thing also happen if you do it in reverse order?

About the npc, am I right guessing
I won't be able to buy medium/advanced upgrading materials? Until ng+, so I have to make do with whatever I loot?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People can fuck the fuck off with the bosses phases talking. That shit is spoiler. Come the fuck on, please.

Thank you very much. But does the Depths thing also happen if you do it in reverse order?

About the npc, am I right guessing
I won't be able to buy medium/advanced upgrading materials? Until ng+, so I have to make do with whatever I loot?
Nope. If you do it in reverse order then you can completly skip that ape.

Correct.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
My first playthrough i gave Kuro his item back. I didn't know what i did since it was launch day and not enough info out there for what that meant. I gotta admit, it made my first play through a lot more enjoyable, had the difficulty altering item too for a bit.
Btw how do you spoiler like that?
Wait, you can give it back in NG? Or do you mean your first NG+ playthrough?

Also you use the [ cross ] tag, without spaces.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Lol I just watched my recording of my fight with the final boss

I was incredibly sloppy up until the end of the second phase of Isshin. By the time I got to the third phase I only had a couple of healing gourds left. Also, I actually think the second and third phases are easier than the first. He's a bit more relentless, but he least he never does those sheathed attacks which are what I struggled against the most.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
OK cool, I'll try the ghost Corrupted Monk without the charm (that's what I meant to write the first time, I messed up when I wrote "with charm" lol) before Genichiro. I think Guardian Ape is locked before Genichiro though, the door to Sunken Valley is locked.

But yeah I'll try the Monk, and if that goes OK I'll try Genichiro and come back to O'Rin later, but yeah O'Rin is nastyyyyy without the charm, jesus. She didn't give me that much trouble in NG, I didn't even use a confetti, but even with a confetti this time she wrecked me. The umbrella is also not the OP tool it was in NG since you take chip damage through it without the charm now too.... that thing saved my ass against Isshin's wind sweep attacks, doing that boss in NG+ without it... ulp.

I'll continue to try without the charm but I'm not sure if I have it in me. lol

Use floating passage against O'Rin. You'll chip away at her health slowly but surely. I find it too hard to simply rely on perfect deflects to kill her. That way she won't regen her posture bar every time she backs up or if you mess up some deflects.

Last edited: