• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how much you miss with the Shura route, now this actually feels like I'm working towards a finale.
Though it's a shame that the world design never quite reaches that AHA moment, the open aspect once you reach the castle was pretty cool but really that was about it as far as discovery and loop arounds go, rather akin to the Dark Souls 2 ven diagram world progression minus the insane variety of areas.

Initially Father Owl seemed crazy compared to his previous outing, but when I got it down It felt so damn earned, despite his namesake and pleasing spirit summon I don't care for the character much, but his bosses are among the game's best.

Just reached Demon of Hatred before quitting for the day, gave him three attempts and feel that if I had a good way around his long range fire ball spam I could manage this pretty well, but that's the mystery right now I guess (also lol From damage output, those fireblasts are freaking ridonk)

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
The Genichiro fight is everything great about the combat system distilled into a single fight.

Take every attempt as an opportunity to memorize his attacks. Parry as much as you can, punish to whittle his health down bit by bit and cripple his regen, figure out when to take a step back and recover posture. Rinse and repeat every time you die and in the end, your successful attempt looks like a fucking dance of death between two masters.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
MT53tg5.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
shibobi execution on
genichiro
in the end he wasn't so bad. on my successful attempt i used just one gourd. being aggressive and staying right up in his face really helps.
as does poisoning him at the start of the third phase to deal enough vit damage to slow his posture regen

also he is one sexy hunk without his shirt. that was a hype moment. the cut scene immediately after killing him was a hype moment to with the lightning strike coming in just when he dies

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Past the drunkard and now fighting lady butterfly in the hidden temple.

Still early game. Is it too soon to have a real go at her?
i'm going to disagree with the other people responding to you and say that fighting her now is a really bad idea

i mean, sure, if you want a challenge, go ahead, but it's going to be a lot of needless frustration. she doesn't really give you anything super useful, and if you explore the main path instead you can get so many upgrades and helpful items that you can come back and wreck her easily later

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
How do I beat the Demon of Hatred? I have the whistle that stuns him, but I don't want to use it until phase three. My vitality is 19, and my attack power is 12. Any tips?

- hug his crotch constantly, his fire attacks will miss
- you can deflect the stomps if you have to and get an attack after if you land close enough. If you're on the far side when he stomps, circle around him instead and get a couple hits behind him
- For his jump, sprint away for a couple of seconds and then JUMP before the AOE hits the ground, then grapple to him if you can for extra damage. This is easily his hardest attack to dodge
- When he runs away, run toward him as quickly as possible, before he gets a chance to turn around. If you hesitate by mistake, BACK UP instead and wait out his fire attacks, then wait for an opening to run back under him
- in stage 2/3 when he does the long range ground slam, sprint to the right and then grapple to him when the icon appears, it looks harder to dodge than it is.
- In stage 2/3 when he has the fireballs you can just sprint in one direction and not get hit

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Beat Guardian Ape (fun fight) and I think I only have to kill the corrupted monk to be able to progress in the story.

O'Rin painfully makes it clear that I don't have my perfect deflecting-game down yet. Managed to get her down to second life purely with deflecting twice but I'm just too inconsistent with the timing to be able to finish the fight. She regains her posture so fast with full life so I feel like I have to damage her a bit first (which sadly leaves me open for mistakes).
You can cheese O'Rin, kinda. Walk behind her before talking to her, toss a ceramic shard into her. She'll stagger, giving you a meaty .5~1 second window to backstab her. Then you only have to deal with one of her health bars.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User warned: posting unmarked spoilers
sucks that i missed out on two minibosses and the
owl refight
because i didn't catch some of the hidden dialogue. welp, maybe this will be motivation enough to go through ng+ even tho i did everything else there is to do in the game

Last edited by a moderator:

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually really interested to see how fast I can run through the game on a 2nd NG. I've logged 34 hours so far but I imagine the vast majority of that was just retrying bosses and areas from lack of familiarity.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Ok the final boss broke me. I'm leaving this game for now. I enjoyed every minute of it,but for the first time in FROMs games I feel like I'm unable to finish the game. ...For some reason I don't have the patience to master this fight and kill him.,so yeah.... Pretty much know the endings to the story too,so to me it's like the game's done :D

Anyway an amazing game,that has some flaws like area/boss reusage that could certainly be avoided. Had so much fun with it,kudos to FROMSOFTWARE for making another masterpiece

Jan 11, 2018
Tried beating the final boss for almost three hours straight and still can't even make it to the final phase... May have to give in and watch videos :(

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
It's supposed to be done through multiple play throughs

Which even then takes a minimum of like 4 and that's if you go around killing as much mini bosses as possible. It's too much. I got to the end of playthrough 3 with just 8 skill points skipping most mini bosses and dying only once. That's really bad.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Beat Guardian Ape (fun fight) and I think I only have to kill the corrupted monk to be able to progress in the story.

O'Rin painfully makes it clear that I don't have my perfect deflecting-game down yet. Managed to get her down to second life purely with deflecting twice but I'm just too inconsistent with the timing to be able to finish the fight. She regains her posture so fast with full life so I feel like I have to damage her a bit first (which sadly leaves me open for mistakes).

Better recheck the cave area after the poison pool idol at ashina depths....you never know what you might find there now :D

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Better recheck the cave area after the poison pool idol at ashina depths....you never know what you might find there now :D
I thought it was a shame how often both the headless and shichiman warrior fights are reused without them mixing it up a little... like with the underwater headless

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I know I'm way behind everyone else here but I finally managed to beat Lady Butterfly. That was a frustrating hour haha. Really taught me how to use the hammer and the parries though. Like not sure if I did it properly since the pre fight tooltip mentioned dodges, but I just parried what I could, swung the sword twice then used the hammer when I knew her guard was gonna go up. Reminded me of the Monsoon fight in MGRising by the end haha.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I thought it was a shame how often both the headless and shichiman warrior fights are reused without them mixing it up a little... like with the underwater headless

Yes,FROM made some cheap reuses of bosses,minibosses or area reskins to prolong the length of the game. This is my only serious gripe so far with it

Oct 25, 2017
Probably old news already, but since the thread moves fast, here it goes anyway:

PSA: You can use Kuro's Charm difficulty on NG, as long as you have a NG+ save as well.

Thought it was pretty neat. Can't see myself going back to default difficuty anymore. Demon Bell I'll probably keep off when I try to do my level 1 run, but Kuro can keep his charm forever. :D

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
How do I beat the Demon of Hatred? I have the whistle that stuns him, but I don't want to use it until phase three. My vitality is 19, and my attack power is 12. Any tips?
Be on his crotch/butt as much as humanly possible. He plays like a Dark Souls boss more than a Sekiro one, as you can't parry any of the attacks with his fire arm and most of his parry-able attacks are better to just dodge. When you're at his crotch just wack away and watch out for his stomps, which you can parry or dodge. It's also much safer to heal immediately next to him than it is from a distance.

When he does his dash attack you'll want to jump and then immediately start running to his new location (this is also a good time to heal). When you're running towards him he'll either slam down him arm, which you can dodge to the side (in phase 2/3 this will require a jump and grapple to dodge), throw fireballs at you which you can forward-dodge through, or swipe at you with his fire arm which you should be out of range of be the time he does it, and if you're not just dodge forward through it. The only other attack you need to watch out for his his jump attack, which is telegraphed by an orange aura around him. Run away when he jumps and then jump and grapple as soon as he's about to land. Once you getting he timing down this should never hit you.

He will also get stunned once you get about 1/4 of his health down and again when he's got about 1/4. Take advantage of these windows and wallop him. You can either use the whistle when he's close to getting stunned to get in free hits that lead directly into a stun, or use the whistle afterwards for a similar effect.

He's really all pattern recognition and his phases aren't that dissimilar from each other. Once you get the pattern down it won't be much longer until you beat him.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Those ones i tend to just sidestep them since is pretty easy and makes it easier to react whatever he follows up with.
Enemies know when you're healing and they will punish it.
Here is a trick with his overhead mixup. Try to deflect the overhead attack and immediately press dash. The follow up thrust attack is the fastest and you will get a mikiri if you dash right after the overhead. The follow up sweep and regular attack are slower and you can react to them if you don't get a mikiri by jumping or deflecting after dashing.
When he uses his lightning attack, jump in the air and let him hit you, then press R1 before you hit the ground to deflect it back at him. He'll stagger and take a fair bit of damage, you can get a few hits in then too.

I found his second phase fairly easy to nail once I was managing to beat his first one fairly consistently.

Thank you all for the help. I FINALLY BEAT HIM!!! I didn't cheese it or anything. I learned his moves and did my best. I'm proud of myself, lol.

I recorded my victory attempt. Please join me in celebrating!

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
Finished the game yesterday, its crazy on a new run knowing where to go, how much you can skip and how better at combat you get.

I think its the game that better prepares you for new game plus, out of all the latest FROM games.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
So I restarted for my third time and things finally clicked. Thus far I just finished Juzuo and feeling pretty good :)

Kangu

Apr 19, 2018
So.. what's the point of the vault skill? Once I break an enemy's posture instead of executing him right away I flip over him then execute him? Seems inefficient unless I'm missing something.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it is a bit of shame that you don't unlock any alternative costumes.

I don't really understand why From is so attached to the main character and the way he looks.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So.. what's the point of the vault skill? Once I break an enemy's posture instead of executing him right away I flip over him then execute him? Seems inefficient unless I'm missing something.
It's a backstab instead of a normal deathblow. Meaning you can activate stuff like the bloodcloud again.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Ok did I fuck myself here or whats going on

I dropped down onto the snake and killed it after using the kite in Senpou to cross the gulf.

This dumped me on the other side of the broken Gun Fort bridge.

I walked towards the broken bridge first after killing the snake to see if I can back to Gun Fort from there and fell down into the water.

I can't seem to get back up there at all to explore the other way...what the fuck?

Also there's a second snake in the cave...I thought it was the same one. Again...wtf?
I assumed the point of killing the snake was to access the house in the cave yet that wasn't the one I killed? The lore led me to believe there was just one I thought

Oct 25, 2017
For parries do people here just continually tap it and hope for a parry or do you time it? I try to time it but I've been reading other people just tap it a bunch.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I dropped down onto the snake and killed it after using the kite in Senpou to cross the gulf.

I walked towards the broken bridge first after killing the snake to see if I can back to Gun Fort from there and fell down into the water.

I can't seem to get back up there at all to explore the other way...what the fuck?

Also there's a second snake in the cave...I thought it was the same one. Again...wtf?
I assumed the point of killing the snake was to access the house in the cave yet that wasn't the one I killed? The lore led me to believe there was just one I thought
Nope, there's two.

The 2nd was is a small puzzle.

For parries do people here just continually tap it and hope for a parry or do you time it? I try to time it but I've been reading other people just tap it a bunch.

Combination of tapping and timing. The deflect window is generous.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

There are two snakes. You need to figure out another way past the one in the cave. You probably already have the method to do so. But if you need a hint, give some rice to the lady who hangs out near Guardian Ape's idol.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Why is there no item that increases exp gain? I need over 30 more skill points. That's ridiculous.
Annoying yeah. I listened to a bunch of podcasts and shit, and it still took me longer than my second playthrough (something like 5 hours of grinding at the spot I used on NG+ :/).

Seeing the skill that cost 9 when I was adding up how many levels I needed... That was the most harrowing part of Sekiro.
You time the first one, then you can generally tap along to the rhythm if it's an attack string and get them all.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I spent God knows how many hours on genchiro and when I finally beat him did it with only losing half a health bar. That doesn't make sense lol

But I feel like I'm getting good now, I had this on the back burner for a week because I was convinced I just wasn't going to be able to do it due to hating the playstyle you need to use here. But I can do it and for the first time playing a parry character in an action game, I'm having a lot of fun.

I'm surprised, never thought I had it in me to adapt to the style required for sekiro.

Dec 6, 2017
US
There are two snakes. You need to figure out another way past the one in the cave. You probably already have the method to do so. But if you need a hint, give some rice to the lady who hangs out near Guardian Ape's idol.

What about the fact I can't get up to that spot i was dumped at after my plunge and kill for #1? Can I get back there and am I missing something good if not??

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

I try to time it (apparently the more you tap the deflection button without actually deflecting, the less chance of actually landing a deflection when the strike comes is), but when I've realised I've fucked the timing and have literally no idea when the strike's coming down, hell yeah I'm gonna be mashing on that deflection key a bunch.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017

I just did the exact same thing lol.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I have to be honest, since Genichiro the game has not been very challenging. Especially the non boss enemies. No new area has given me much trouble at all. Sure a boss or sub boss can take a couple tries, but other than that it just a complete mow down. The heath posture and attack upgrades feel incredibly overpowered balance wise, especially with the gourd seed upgrades, you are able to make so many mistakes.

At the beginning of the game it was really intimidating to advance forward, there was a very tough but fair challenge that forced you to learn the mechanics, and then 'master' them for Genichiro. And afterwards it hasn't been very tough.

Is this the same for everyone? I just got to
Illusion Corrupted Monk
and every new area has been very easy to get through, to the point that I don't even have to learn the environments, shortcuts etc. I just blast my way through. Sub Bosses aren't nearly the challenge they used to be, usually going down first try. And the bosses are just a matter of figuring out their attacks over the course of a couple tries.

I am the furthest thing from an elite gamer, entirely mediocre. Only have beaten BB by FROM and I had to farm the hell out of it. To the point I was way over leveled. Never did the chalice dungeon challenges, or anything. I was terrified of this game before it released thinking it'd be way too hard.

Is this common sentiment? I'm more and more shocked as I progress. The Mibu mob enemies are just a complete joke, what areas are supposed to be hard? Does difficulty ever spike again?

Yeah I wasn't challenged from that point up until the point you're at right now.

Don't worry, you'll have your ass handed to you very soon.

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
I loved this game so much that I went the extra mile and earned all of the achievements. What an incredible and adrenaline inducing journey this game was. I now proudly accept my fate tomorrow when the snappening occurs as I have accomplished all I sought out to do.