• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
So i've held my tongue on the thrust attack, thinking "hey maybe I'm wrong and it isn't the most pointless aspect of this games' combat", y'know considering every enemy that blocks a lot just guaranteed counters it EVERY TIME, don't even need to mention bosses here either.

But now it confirmed itself as the absolute dirt worst as a certain encounter actively killed me with a special animation no less for daring to try and use the thrust attack on them, like the ultimate confirmation of "lol thrust".

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
DoH...how the fuck can anybody beat this guy? i can barely get it down to 2 phases but 3 phases? Oh my goodness, all the gourd and spirit emblems is not enough for this fucker and his burning attacks. His right hook always gets me.

useful tool to beat this guy;
Use the final upgrade of the finger whistle to stun him. Only works a few times, so save it for the final phase. Also, the final upgrade to the umbrella is also useful for avoiding fire damage.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So before I start my NG did I screw myself on this?
I did the purification ending but I have stuff for the return ending. There's no way I can go back and trigger it is there?

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Is it hitting pray that locks you out or killing what is inside? Cause I prayed then caused myself to die.

Well yeah, good point there, it's more the killing that locks you out indeed. Assuming you die or 'homeward bone' out i suppose you can still do other things if you stay out. I didn't die though because it was pretty easy :P

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
no prob. It's still a scary fight even with the cheese lol.

He has that other pursuing sweep attack that I started jumping over and using Mortal Draw against that too. It helped a little bit. Now I just need to chill and do some sidequest stuff to calm down, I feel like my heart's gonna burst.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
So before I start my NG did I screw myself on this?
I did the purification ending but I have stuff for the return ending. There's no way I can go back and trigger it is there?
Unless you made a back up save on the cloud, you won't be able to revert it to do the other ending.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
DoH...how the fuck can anybody beat this guy? i can barely get it down to 2 phases but 3 phases? Oh my goodness, all the gourd and spirit emblems is not enough for this fucker and his burning attacks. His right hook always gets me.

For all 3 phases, Stay out of melee range and keep sprinting right. (left is a little more risky, feel like you get caught by some attacks more that way) Bait the "1-2 side swipes into Forward arm slam" to get hits in while he gets stuck in the ground, then repeat. Piece of cake :P

Oct 27, 2017
Difficulty gets pretty unbalanced later on, uh? Those recycled Gentisomething mini-bosses were some of the easiest shit in the game. Torch-dudes gave me more trouble. Just parrying two of their attack barrages + one jump counter and they're done in seconds. I can't be overpowered tho, did them before the gimmick boss, so attack 4 I guess. Papa Ape on the other hand, well...that's another story, but the key to success is once again staying close although your instincts say "run, Forest", I assume.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Beat the DoH post-game, so that's a wrap for the time being. It's a very well made game but the difficulty was too enormous too constantly. Needed more moments of reward and reflection like their other games have, and it's definitely not a game I'll ever feel "comfortable" just revisiting for a chill run like in Dark Souls or whatever. The pressure was just too stress inducing.

Definitely my least favorite of From's work by a pretty big margin, even behind Dark Souls II. My feelings might change over time but my feelings so soon after beating the game are just sort of resignation and exhaustion, like I've won some kind of mutually destructive Pyrrhic victory.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
I''ve been stuck on fucking genchiro for like 5 hours now. I'm way past the point where I would summon poeple but this game is making me get good. Any tips for him what prosthetic is the best?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I''ve been stuck on fucking genchiro for like 5 hours now. I'm way past the point where I would summon poeple but this game is making me get good. Any tips for him what prosthetic is the best?

What part of the fight is giving you the most trouble? Have you been taking advantage of his thrust attacks for Mikiri counter damage?

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
WJb7M4S.gif

Chance

Nov 22, 2017
So I get to
Guardian Ape
way too late last night, but I'm feelin' kind of awesome because when I decided to explore this area I just wrecked everything in my path - very confident! But I'd heard tale of this boss, so I went in prepared to go to school for a while.

And go to school I did! Got phase 1 pretty much mastered, but one good grab would bust my morale pretty good. Phase 2 absolutely destroyed me. I knew I could get it, but it was also too late to try.

Today I have a bit of time and yeah, I got phase 1 mastered. And soon I'm doing really well in phase 2. I've got the deflects down pat, I'm nailing jumpkick counters, I've got him down to like 15% and I'm still sitting on six gourds and a rez. At this point, the boss backs off, runs to a corner, turns around and freezes.

I wait. He doesn't move.

I approach. He doesn't move.

I hit him with the sword a few times. Doesn't move.

GOD

DAMNIT.

(Well you were about to beat him, right?)

Definitely.

(Then you might as well..?)

Yeah, yeah... but it's just not the same.

So I'm feelin' pretty bummed. I go to the poison pool where I first met
Snake Eyes
and decide to explore beyond where I fought her. I really had mastered that second phase!

I AM REDEEMED GOT 'EM FIRST TRYYYYY WOOOO!

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
So does this game have any of the horror elements of the souls games? The difficulty never bugged me but the tense atmosphere with those freaky designs always made it hard for me to play when the family goes to bed at night lol

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Beat the DoH post-game, so that's a wrap for the time being. It's a very well made game but the difficulty was too enormous too constantly. Needed more moments of reward and reflection like their other games have, and it's definitely not a game I'll ever feel "comfortable" just revisiting for a chill run like in Dark Souls or whatever. The pressure was just too stress inducing.

Definitely my least favorite of From's work by a pretty big margin, even behind Dark Souls II. My feelings might change over time but my feelings so soon after beating the game are just sort of resignation and exhaustion, like I've won some kind of mutually destructive Pyrrhic victory.

the whole temple section is enough of a breather

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
So i've held my tongue on the thrust attack, thinking "hey maybe I'm wrong and it isn't the most pointless aspect of this games' combat", y'know considering every enemy that blocks a lot just guaranteed counters it EVERY TIME, don't even need to mention bosses here either.

But now it confirmed itself as the absolute dirt worst as a certain encounter actively killed me with a special animation no less for daring to try and use the thrust attack on them, like the ultimate confirmation of "lol thrust".

Thrust is great for getting a bit of extra damage on a punish imo. I used it a ton on NG+ and feel like it paid off pretty well. It's trash in neutral against bosses though.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
What part of the fight is giving you the most trouble? Have you been taking advantage of his thrust attacks for Mikiri counter damage?
Ya I am I still instinctively dodge so I really gotta focus on not doing that. My main problem is all get a good parry battle going then he'll scoot back and fuck my day up with arrows and his posture goes all the way down.

Then the last phase just skrew everything about lighting.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

Tons of enemies and bosses let you easily use your thrust attack after they perform certain attacks and you dodge/deflect them.
The boss you mention can only counter your thrust when you do it from neutral or after some attack strings.
I thought i was actually amazing how they suddenly turned my "do tons of thrusts (kek)" strategy on it's head when I fought that boss

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ya I am I still instinctively dodge so I really gotta focus on not doing that. My main problem is all get a good parry battle going then he'll scoot back and fuck my day up with arrows and his posture goes all the way down.

Then the last phase just skrew everything about lighting.

Honestly, when I beat him, I never got hit by a single one of his lightning moves. Jumping to the left will save you in almost every circumstance when he uses his lightning attacks. Give that a try and see how it helps.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
User warned: posting unmarked spoilers
just killed the
owl
in my like 5th try thanks to the cheese strategy posted here. it was so easy I actually got cocky and attacked even when it was not 100% safe.
the mortal blade attack must be bugged, right? it still works even when you're out of emblems.

Last edited by a moderator:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
just killed the
owl
in my like 5th try thanks to the cheese strategy posted here. it was so easy I actually got cocky and attacked even when it was not 100% safe.
the mortal blade attack must be bugged, right? it still works even when you're out of emblems.

Any Combat Art that consumes spirit emblems can still be used when you run out, it just becomes weaker without them.

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
It's been like this since day one, I've asked people time and time again, reported posts... nothing really works.
It's really pathetic that there's no actual penalty, just a moderator editing the respective posts (the users, despite being alerted via quote, do nothing about it). It's particularly shit when a game's only been out for a week and the site does nothing to dissuade it. Even GameFAQs and the Subreddit have better policies, so I expected more. Anyway, I'm out.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
just killed the
owl

can't tell if it's a bug or a weird design decision. Is there any other attack art that uses emblems?

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first Soulsekirobornioh I'll say this about but...I'd probably enjoy the game more if it was a bit easier.

Matt_

Oct 25, 2017
Feels so good when you just wreck a boss first time
First guardian ape fight took me fucking ages, this time wrecked both of them first time without even a Resurrection
The Snake Eyes from the sunken valley also took me ages first time, wrecked this dick first time too

Anyone advise on what the good prosthetic upgrades are? Have a lot of materials but haven't upgraded antyhing yet

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017

I feel the exact opposite. This is easily From's best game to date. Only 1 or 2 of the main bosses are actually challenging once you play through once. I think it's normal to struggle at first since this is a big departure from souls games.

Fighting those purple ninjas or miniboss variations is a bliss.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Need some help with two mid game bosses

Centipede guy and Headless in the cave. Headless I can sort of manage but I'm pretty much out of divine confetti and the stuff that reduces terror. Where can I find those?

And the long arm centipede, those ads are annoying as shit.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
How exactly do you use the Living Force skill? Your weapon is supposed to be infused with the prosthetic tool's power or something but it looks like I'm just plain using Projected Force.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Why did I thrust during phase 2 of that one boss, WHY DID I THRUST?

This is the first Soulsekirobornioh I'll say this about but...I'd probably enjoy the game more if it was a bit easier.
Well if it's any consolation I think the bosses here are the hardest ones, truly reaching the peak of From's "what if each hit was like the majority of your health bar?" that they got quite taken with around Bloodborne's DLC on onwards.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain the stealth strategy for
Corrupted Monk round 2? I can't seem to get in there before she spawns in and she's instantly aggro'd to me before I have a chance to eat her first gauge.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody whos beaten the game:

is it worth going for the ending
purification vs going for "return"?

Seems like a lot, compared to
purification

Oct 27, 2017
Bingo, now I finally get the idea of recovering posture with guard up when it was the opposite in Souls: that's just another way of encouragement to stay in the opponent's face. So even if you're bad at parrying you still get something out of blocking instead of dashing out and going for safe single hits, right?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain the stealth strategy for
Corrupted Monk round 2? I can't seem to get in there before she spawns in and she's instantly aggro'd to me before I have a chance to eat her first gauge.

Immediately run and grapple to branch to the right of her and then grapple to the branch above her. Once she's done with her spawn in animation that's the time to do it. She will aggro you regardless, she's the only boss that you can do this with I think.

Oct 27, 2017
also downed the
MID GAME BOSS SPOILER
Guardian Ape definitely the hardest boss soo far took me like 10+ tries. hes second form is annoying becasue you have to be in the right spot to deflect him he straight missed every damn time... -_-

also is there some secert to those fucking white monkey enemeis in the posion swamp area.. the ones with two swords... Jesus Christ they just as hard as a two dot.. LUL

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Immediately run and grapple to branch to the right of her and then grapple to the branch above her. Once she's done with her spawn in animation that's the time to do it. She will aggro you regardless, she's the only boss that you can do this with I think.

Yeah, that's what I've been trying to do, it hasn't worked. I just hit her normally and then I have to fight her with all the gauges.