• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just got the Purification ending. It's crazy how much easier the final boss was this time. I beat him on my second try. I also love how you can skip like 95% of the final area lol.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Demon of Hate (end game) is such a piece of shit boss. Not fun whatsoever. I'll probably beat it soon but the difference between Owl 2.0, which was just as hard but very fun, and this boss is huge.

YUP. Going from O2 to DOH is such a shock. The former is one of the top 5 FROM bosses of all time and the latter is a shitty DS1 boss in a game it has no business being in

Koyomi

Mar 25, 2019
Final boss
Just killed the final boss on my second try. Awesome fight for sure.

Strangely enough i found the third phase to be the easiest one; he spams the lightning attack and basically kills himself, since the window for the redirection of is huge.

Time for NG+

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Speaking of music, what's everyone's pick for favorite song? Mine is easily
the faster paced Japanese-guitar thing tune that plays during phase two of the Owl fight. That combined with his barks when he eats your rezzes (ONE!, TWO!) make for the best presentation in the game imo

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Got that piece of shit. Like all the bosses in this game it was just a matter of getting to learn it's patterns. I stand by what I said though: my least favourite boss. The camera being stuck against a wall, tree or right up in its groin and some questionable hitboxes made it extraordinarily frustrating. Every other boss in Sekiro made it abundantly clear exactly what you fucked up, whereas here it felt cheap and unfair.

Grats!

It's crazy to imagine Demon up there. He's just a big dumb Souls boss that can't hit anything on his right. After you realize his unblockable attack is actually a sweep he's relatively harmless. He doesn't seem even in the same league as Sword Saint. Demon is kind of a joke boss like single/double apes.

I enjoyed figuring out the boss, because it is kind of a curve ball that is different from the rest of the enemies in the game in that it is designed to use more mechanics of the game than the rest. It took me a handful of tries to figure out counters for all his moves, and I had a lot of fun doing it, but he is definitely one boss where the counters doesn't need strict timing, much like, as you said, a souls boss. A lot of his attacks also has really poor accuracy (The other large boss has significantly better accuracy, as a comparison), so side-stepping most things is pretty simple. He is not in my personal top 3 due to large margin of error available.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
I like some of the variety stuff like jumping, grappling hook attacks adds but... I feel like the combat is just repetitive and boring. Getting a viceral in Bloodborne feels so satisfying, but this game it feels like you can't go 20 seconds without seeing one for every little thing. Do we need to see the guy stab the enemy in the same way every time? I get the normal enemies you can just kill but the health regain for doing so and the fact you have to go out of your way to avoid doing a deathblow makes it waste more time than it'd save.

I'll tell you that I dropped bloodborne halfway because I thought it was getting boring (even though I didn't think it was hard at all really. Beat gascoigne and a lot of bosses in my first try)

I just don't think souls combat about kiting around an enemy to do their big winding thing that gives you an opening is as engaging to me anymore. The thing I like about Sekiro is the posture system allows you to take on the initiative. Too often soulsbourne bosses all you can do really is kite around them, but this gives you The initiative to counter their offense.

Also I had the visceral attack system. I just do. It feels satisfying because trying to land it most of the time is bullshit.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
the faster paced Japanese-guitar thing tune that plays during phase two of the Owl fight. That combined with his barks when he eats your rezzes (ONE!, TWO!) make for the best presentation in the game imo

Owl (Father) or Divine Dragon as 1a/1b at the moment.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Whew...

Owl v2 was pretty tough. Probably the third hardest boss for me. It really felt impossible for the first few attempts. It required me to take a very different approach compared to v1 which I liked. Not sure if it was because it was NG+, but a lot of his attacks just 1-shot me from full with 20 vitality.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Ok the moment has finally arrived....who can give me the best tips for fighting
Genichiro

I went in blind and nearly took out the first two phases. But I'd like to actually have a strategy.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018

I go with
Main Menu Theme. Both Gyoubu Oniwa and Divine Dragon have wonderful buildups.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Ok the moment has finally arrived....who can give me the best tips for fighting
Genichiro

I went in blind and nearly took out the first two phases. But I'd like to actually have a strategy.
Genichiro is only dangerous when he pulls out his bow so just stick to him as well as you possibly can. He has extremely reasonable start-up on his moves so sticking to him isn't dangerous. He is very straight forward so not really any nuggets to add unfortunately. I guess try to dodge some of his moves and whiff punish with ichimonji to make it go even faster.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
I'll tell you that I dropped bloodborne halfway because I thought it was getting boring (even though I didn't think it was hard at all really. Beat gascoigne and a lot of bosses in my first try)

I just don't think souls combat about kiting around an enemy to do their big winding thing that gives you an opening is as engaging to me anymore. The thing I like about Sekiro is the posture system allows you to take on the initiative. Too often soulsbourne bosses all you can do really is kite around them, but this gives you The initiative to counter their offense.

Also I had the visceral attack system. I just do. It feels satisfying because trying to land it most of the time is bullshit.
This is interesting to me because I feel exactly the opposite. I found that Bloodborne made me play a lot more aggressively with the regain system and lack of blocking whereas in this game it often feels like the best approach to lots enemies is to stand still and hold/tap block and sneak in an attack every now and then. But I like running around like a weirdo. My favorite fight so far has probably been blazing bull because it just consisted of me chasing it around like a nascar race and getting in cheapshots as it skidded around. I'm sure it's a lot faster to get in its face and block parry, but...

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Senpou Temple chanting by far :P Otherwise, the rest of the music was of a high quality, but not particularly memorable to me.

Senpou was just my favourite zone in general, since the lore there was by far the weirdest and least vanilla.

I wish Roooooobert man signalled a change that introduced more of his kind, even though I'm still ecstatic with the game we got.

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking as someone still reveling in beating him, can confirm. You need absolute perfection in at least the first two stages if you ever hope to stand a chance. It's aggressive attack/parry to a borderline unfair extreme.

You can manipulate the AI.. attacking them once or twice to make them "parry" to force them to attack you, then you just parry and start the loop all over again. It's all about paying attention to the block sparks the enemy has.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also, do you all think we'll get DLC for this one? What would you want to see?
I'm sure we will. It is a From game after all. As for what I want to see, more of the dark stuff. Hell give me

A story where we play as Genichiro obtaining the black mortal blade. I'm sure they could do a lot of interesting stuff with that.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Also, do you all think we'll get DLC for this one? What would you want to see?
Tomoe as a re-do for Maria and Friede. I think Maria as a first try of the archtype was fine but the fight was definitely on the easy side even without using a gun. Friede was also great outside of almost not being properly appreciated (not saying she isn't, but I think there is a lot of potential left on the table, as great as she already is) as when she gets going you just have to back off, but dodging her attacks aren't difficult. Understanding what they are going for in those two characters, I really want them to try it again in Sekiro as the combat system would be perfect for the design they have been aiming for.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I'm sure we will. It is a From game after all. As for what I want to see, more of the dark stuff. Hell give me

A story where we play as Genichiro obtaining the black mortal blade. I'm sure they could do a lot of interesting stuff with that.

After reading the scroll at Isshin's tower about how the black mortal blade can cut through to the underworld I thought for sure we were going to go there. That would definitely make for some cool DLC.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
This is interesting to me because I feel exactly the opposite. I found that Bloodborne made me play a lot more aggressively with the regain system and lack of blocking whereas in this game it often feels like the best approach to lots enemies is to stand still and hold/tap block and sneak in an attack every now and then. But I like running around like a weirdo. My favorite fight so far has probably been blazing bull because it just consisted of me chasing it around like a nascar race and getting in cheapshots as it skidded around. I'm sure it's a lot faster to get in its face and block parry, but...

That's because in soulsbourne games so many of the bosses break down into big swinging things that do big swinging attacks where your best avenue is to wait for the animation to end and then roll in to do a few swings. Sekiro demands you to react a lot more up close and varied up the defence so you're doing more than just dodging and kiting.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it's Owl but why did he kill Sekiro at that point ?

Daigoro

Oct 28, 2017
what's with dragon droplets not curing anyone when you use them? I've used 3 now (like an idiot) and I have like 6 people sick that haven't gotten cured. wtf?

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Not a single thing there I could disagree with, especially the spirit emblem system and the checkpoint placement / shortcuts. With fast travel immediately, so much of the world design goes unappreciated.

Overall I think the game is just too punishing, which is honestly not a complaint I think I have really ever made about a game before, with the exception of certain parts of Hollow Knight DLC or something. Never for a full game. But Sekiro really just lacks those "cool down" moments that I mentioned in my other post, like meeting Solaire or reaching Anor Londo in Dark Souls. I never felt like I was looking back with pride on how far I had come, it was more like climbing a mountain with tons of false summits. Just challenge after challenge without those rewarding, non-combat moments that have characterized the series.
This is absolutely how I feel, and it's a shame because otherwise the game has all of the elements that make From great — a good combat system, amazing world design and lore, some great boss fights. Problem is, it's just too relentless. It doesn't let you enjoy your victories because within minutes (in some cases) you hit another draining boss encounter.

It also drains your sense of relief and accomplishment when you DO beat a tough boss, because you know another one is just around the corner.

I'm probably %80 done with the game and I'll probably trade it in tonight. The fun is too spread out between long bouts of frustration, and as much as I want to see the credits, I think I lost my drive to play.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
SUPER late game question

Do I have to beat Father Owl immediately or can I go into the cave to get to the divine realm right now? Trying to get the Purification ending.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
SUPER late game question

Do I have to beat Father Owl immediately or can I go into the cave to get to the divine realm right now? Trying to get the Purification ending.
You can go to the divine realm now. Just maek sure you don;t beat the boss at the end of the area before beating Owl.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Not a single thing there I could disagree with, especially the spirit emblem system and the checkpoint placement / shortcuts. With fast travel immediately, so much of the world design goes unappreciated.

Overall I think the game is just too punishing, which is honestly not a complaint I think I have really ever made about a game before, with the exception of certain parts of Hollow Knight DLC or something. Never for a full game. But Sekiro really just lacks those "cool down" moments that I mentioned in my other post, like meeting Solaire or reaching Anor Londo in Dark Souls. I never felt like I was looking back with pride on how far I had come, it was more like climbing a mountain with tons of false summits. Just challenge after challenge without those rewarding, non-combat moments that have characterized the series.
Exactly how I feel. Well said.

I can understand the sense of accomplishment people feel now, and I will feel in a few days when I beat this, but it is missing all of what made the Souls games timeless classics.

You put it so eloquently, don't mind if I steal that some day :P

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
I seriously don't see how the spirit emblem system can be worse than the vial system in bloodborne. Spirit emblems are at least dropped by most enemies or even all, but vials are relegated only to a few enemies.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which ending is your favorite so far?

I like that this one
actually has Emma in it. I don't like that she just disappears in the Return route. Haven't seen Shura or Immortal Severance yet but Return will be hard to top. As short as it was, it got me excited for a new journey. Also Kuro is gonna be reborn so that's cool.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Still looking for help with Phase 2 of
Genichiro

I know several people posted tips and tricks earlier - but I literally have zero issue with phase 1. I can get him killed 100% of the time with somewhere between 2-3 gourds still left. But as soon as phase 2 hits, I just don't get it. I've given up on returning the lightning, since I haven't even done it once. Mirki or whatever works like 70% of the time, which I feel is decent... but that means I get hit 30% of the time, and two hits and I'm dead, and there's no time to ever safely heal.

I'm so, so, so bored playing Phase 1 of this boss. I've done the same 4 minutes of gameplay for like an hour and a half now, and I'm this close to shelving it. I don't mind a challenge at all, but just repeating phase 1 over and over is getting straight up boring.

Oct 25, 2017
Me feeling like a badass beating every boss and mini-boss in the game:
S3PyPGW.jpg

Me when I finally reach the very final boss in the game:
6869824-5469907100-Weigh.gif

I got a feeling there's going to be a lot of wheezing going on with this final boss.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I tried 2 more times and I might just skip that demon of hatred. I feel like I'm wasting my time on something I don't enjoy, it's taking away from my study time.

From what I'm reading about the final boss it should be more up my alley.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I guess it's Owl but why did he kill Sekiro at that point ?

I dunno in my headcannon either Owl wanted him to take out Lady Butterfly(not exactly sure if she's on Owls side or if she's trying to protect Kuro even though she was clearly one of Owls confidants before but then again so were you) or Owl didn't want to kill his own 'son'.
Also I kinda notice that
When you stab Owl in the Shura ending the shot is almost identical to when Wolf is stabbed in Hirata Estate ending. Mid profile shot from the right hand side with a blade straight through. Kinda neat.

Last edited:

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
That's because in soulsbourne games so many of the bosses break down into big swinging things that do big swinging attacks where your best avenue is to wait for the animation to end and then roll in to do a few swings. Sekiro demands you to react a lot more up close and varied up the defence so you're doing more than just dodging and kiting.
For the bigger bosses, yeah. I'd argue that it's largely the same for this game as well. The hunter bosses and npc fights are very fast. All of the big enemies/bosses i've fought so far have been very soulsy.

Unrelated but I remember some posts saying that Sekiro taking out RPG elements meant you couldn't cheese enemies anymore and would have to "actually get good" but i dont know who this was but some loser with a big gun just poisoned themselves while i watched and swept in for the kill. I could have gotten down in there to fight them but i find this much more satisfying. Sekiro might totally not be a souls game at all, but its AI is.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Still looking for help with Phase 2 of
Genichiro

I know several people posted tips and tricks earlier - but I literally have zero issue with phase 1. I can get him killed 100% of the time with somewhere between 2-3 gourds still left. But as soon as phase 2 hits, I just don't get it. I've given up on returning the lightning, since I haven't even done it once. Mirki or whatever works like 70% of the time, which I feel is decent... but that means I get hit 30% of the time, and two hits and I'm dead, and there's no time to ever safely heal.

I'm so, so, so bored playing Phase 1 of this boss. I've done the same 4 minutes of gameplay for like an hour and a half now, and I'm this close to shelving it. I don't mind a challenge at all, but just repeating phase 1 over and over is getting straight up boring.

What are you being hit by? The only difference is he uses lightning and he inserts thrust after a clash from his flurry attack. I guess he also has an additional diving thrust attack.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
You can manipulate the AI.. attacking them once or twice to make them "parry" to force them to attack you, then you just parry and start the loop all over again. It's all about paying attention to the block sparks the enemy has.
It's what I caught on to towards the end. I think I'd feel a little better about the win had I ever properly learned how
reflect lightening

benj

Oct 27, 2017
hey, is the convo between Emma and Isshin necessary for Purification? I'm about to pick up the last incense ingredient, I can't get Emma to go in Isshin's room, wondering if this matters at all

Koyomi

Mar 25, 2019
First of all, the game was GREAT. The combat felt fluid, learning bosses patterns, getting down the parry windows was a ton of fun.

The only thing stopping this game from being my favorite souls game is the final portion of the game; there's a ton of bosses/mini-bosses reuse that hindered my experience.
Spoiling the corrupted monk with his mini-boss version was meh.
FIghting the drunk guy 3 different times + a recolor that uses fire was terrible.
There are other minor reuses that i didn't mind as much.

I don't know anything about the behind the scenes, but it feels like FROM had to rush things and reused stuff to fill the gaps.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hey, is the convo between Emma and Isshin necessary for Purification? I'm about to pick up the last incense ingredient, I can't get Emma to go in Isshin's room, wondering if this matters at all

That never happened to me either but it doesn't matter. After you light the incense, just rest and hide behind the wall in the library to eavesdrop on Emma and Kuro to get the ball rolling.