• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
If you're aggressive and stay in his face, he'll never get a chance to call for the dogs.

Yeah just saw this in a vid, thanks. Also, holy shit:

you can mikiri counter their last combo kick! I always tried jumping and landing on their head instead. It wasn't reliable but also did posture damage. Now with this taking these guys out got a lot easier. https://youtu.be/yTMfnvk_hIk?t=85

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I don't mind the prompts. They comprise a very insignificant part of a 30-60 hour game. The only thing is that I think you should be able to turn them off if you want.

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that will be a bit tough to figure out is how I should leave my first save for the inevitable DLC.

I usually just leave it on NG++ for Souls games, but here there's NG+, two different hard modes and things like that. Should I just continue doing NG+ until my character is fully upgraded for the DLC? And then if that happens early enough that the DLC seems a bit on the easy side, I can just stack the two hard modes? But what if it's too hard just with the required NG+ cycles to max out everything? I don't want to get one shot by everything either. >_<

Anyway, I'll worry about that later, still didn't even finish the first playthrough anyway. Also want to do a "level 1" Bell playthrough for one of the endings, will probably do it after NG+.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm just tired of playing all day but I can't get this guy done. I'm also on ng+ which isn't helping since he does way to much damage. Spent an hour and no progress against even the first health bar :/
Any helpful tips?
when he does that firecracker attack directly in front him, wait until right before it goes off and dodge forward into it, Bloodborne style. It might take you a few deaths to get the timing down but eventually you'll get right through the onslaught and be able to get a hit or two into his life bar. Otherwise, this fight is all about keeping up the intensity, never letting him rest unless you need to heal and assaulting him nonstop. I was getting really frustrated until I just decided to ignore his life and posture and just focus entirely on the give-and-take of our combat, and I went from getting cremated to beating him with 5 medicines to spare. i did it on NG+ with the bell on, and if I can do it, you can do it!!!

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really enjoying this game so far. I feel like I have my head above water, with 4 Healing Gourd charges and one upgrade for each of health, posture and attack power. I've just beaten
a fellow on a horse
and I'm about to go and bang my head against
Juzou the drunkard back in the time portal to the past that I can fast-travel to for some reason :P

I'm definitely disappointed with the performance and general sluggishness, though, particularly coming off DMC5 which just feels sublime.. I feel like my character responds a full moment after my button inputs, which I can get used to but I wish I didn't have to. The game tells you to parry the moment an enemy's attack hits, which is patently false; you need to get those parries in early, because trying to just time it only leads to you eating the attack head on. I'm playing on an XB1X, on a TV that supports 120Hz, so this is the best you can get on a console and it's really not great. A 1080p60 option on the enhanced consoles would be a great first step.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What items carry over into NG+?

Wondering if I should upgrade my stuff while I can or just stack certain ingredients needed for the final upgrade.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I found some new areas in my latest playthrough, and was able to kill "Robertooooo!", but that Seven Spears guy is still fucking my shit up. I keep returning to him, and I even had him so close to dying once but got careless at the end. I will probably return when I upgrade my strength or vitality a bit more.

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Any tips for the surgeon boss?

I have both Doujun and Jinzaemon waiting for me near the sunken dungeon entrance. The space to fight them both is really small and I can't seem to beat them. Any tips?

Xarius

Oct 28, 2017
One thing that will be a bit tough to figure out is how I should leave my first save for the inevitable DLC.

I usually just leave it on NG++ for Souls games, but here there's NG+, two different hard modes and things like that. Should I just continue doing NG+ until my character is fully upgraded for the DLC? And then if that happens early enough that the DLC seems a bit on the easy side, I can just stack the two hard modes? But what if it's too hard just with the required NG+ cycles to max out everything? I don't want to get one shot by everything either. >_<

Anyway, I'll worry about that later, still didn't even finish the first playthrough anyway. Also want to do a "level 1" Bell playthrough for one of the endings, will probably do it after NG+.
Note that you can't enable the NG+-specific hard mode at will; it can only be enabled at the beginning. It can be turned off at any point, but can't be turned back on afterward.

What are you considering to be a "level 1" playthrough? No Vitality upgrades? I have to imagine that avoiding Attack Power upgrades would just make the game a slog.
What items carry over into NG+?

Wondering if I should upgrade my stuff while I can or just stack certain ingredients needed for the final upgrade.
Both your upgraded prosthetic tools and upgrade materials carry over.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm about halfway in and while the game is absolutely amazing, there are a couple of things that rub me the wrong way:

I'm a bit disappointed by a few boss encounters (don't know if more are coming) that are pretty much just about meeting certain requirements. The Giant Snake encounter is stretched by running into it and dodging/ avoiding it a bit. After finding the kite and bringing him into position it's just a quicktime event... I mean, really? I expected more From...
The same pretty much goes for the folding screen monkeys fight. As soon as you've read a few notes in the rooms the monkeys are easier to kill than Ashina Outskirts trash mobs...
I'm fine with the game taking a more narrative focused approach and the game sure is hard enough outside of these encounters. These two felt like they could've been so much more though.

I'll give you the monkeys as the token gimme boss like witches in bloodborne, but the snake is not a boss lol. A stage hazard is probably more apt.

And Sekiro has a decent number of bosses(some past where you are) I find excellent and I expect the end game ones to continue to impress. Sekiro also has some very fun mini bosses imo.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
The game tells you to parry the moment an enemy's attack hits, which is patently false; you need to get those parries in early, because trying to just time it only leads to you eating the attack head on. I'm playing on an XB1X, on a TV that supports 120Hz, so this is the best you can get on a console and it's really not great. A 1080p60 option on the enhanced consoles would be a great first step.
Yeah, I've found that the perfect parry is somewhere near the apex of the enemy's swing. When it lands is too late, and when they start is too early. They should have described this a bit better. Perhaps it's a translation thing.

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah just saw this in a vid, thanks. Also, holy shit:

you can mikiri counter their last combo kick! I always tried jumping and landing on their head instead. It wasn't reliable but also did posture damage. Now with this taking these guys out got a lot easier. https://youtu.be/yTMfnvk_hIk?t=85

Also, regarding that miniboss.

Shuriken his ass if you don't have time to stop him from doing it.

Took me a few tries before I remembered that I have shurikens.....

Rathgore

Mar 27, 2019
Seattle, WA USA
Done anyone else find it odd that after you receive the Mortal Blade you still can't kill the sitting monks in Senpou Temple, even using Mortal Draw? Seems oddly inconsistent for them from a lore standpoint, unless it's explained further along in the game or I'm missing something.

Oct 25, 2017
Note that you can't enable the NG+-specific hard mode at will; it can only be enabled at the beginning. It can be turned off at any point, but can't be turned back on afterward.

What are you considering to be a "level 1" playthrough? No Vitality upgrades? I have to imagine that avoiding Attack Power upgrades would just make the game a slog.
No upgrades of any kind, yeah.

If it gets too boring I can just disable the bell.

Thanks for letting me know about the NG+ Hard, I'll start the DLC with it on, then.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I have a bunch of questions buzzing around my head at the moment:

1. I am a little ways through the sunken valley and up to mibu village in ashina depths, what should I continue exploring first? I know theres something with ape bosses and wanting to do one place before another or something?
2. What do I do with the sad guy in the Monk area, I've got a white pinwheel and a red and white one?
3. What do you do with the kite in the same area?
4. I got rice from the divine kid at the end of the temple area, I know the old lady was asking about it, do I go give it to her or something? also, were the painting monkeys considered the boss of that area? Am I done with it now?
5. What is more worthwhile, the healing upgrade passive abilities, or the ones from the Temple tree that make drops and money better?

Anyone mind helping with the above questions?

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Before I start, I just wanted to check that the PC version is actually the objectively best version this time around, right?

Mar 29, 2018
And that's fine, but they built their name around that 0.1% of players, Demon's Souls only ever got big due to word of mouth, not big marketing campaigns. At least pander to us a little by giving us an option to turn the hand holding off, if the game is already design without it in mind anyway.

Surely they also need to take into account the kind of people who bought multiple copies of Demon's Souls just to show support 10 years ago?

This is not a deal breaker, mind you, I've played 50 hours of the game and can't see myself stopping for quite a while, I LOVE the game, but I do think it would be better without the prompts. They remove a lot of the discovery and sharing aspect that was so important in Miyazaki games. Not entirely, mind you, but a good bit. You're right that there's still a lot of stuff the game doesn't tell you, especially in the second half, but you could argue they didn't prepare the "lowest common denominator" to explore that.
I entirely get what you're saying. This discussion is interesting because I'm curious to dig into the differences between the Soulsborn ethos and their approach on Sekiro.

Arguably the whole point comes down to the fact that Souls' gameplay options are so much more broad that you don't NEED to explain mechanics/systems to the player, because any approach should generally work to a sound extent. Players should be able to find their way through because they can swap between 5-6 "build" tactics at any given time (e.g. quickly build armor to buff magic defence, take out your spear to deal with this narrow space, etc).

In Sekiro, there are far fewer systems for the player to swap between, they're just tighter and deeper, so you NEED to engage with them to get anywhere. You can't put your sword away and draw a bow or a wand. FromSoft made the decision to narrow the scope of the gameplay but instead toy with these mechanics/systems more than Souls would with each of its own (because in Souls YOU are the one who can toy with the systems to find your favourite way forward).

An analogy might be like if you could only use magic in the Souls games. Imagine Dark Souls but you can only use magic - but instead they made the "magic" mechanics and systems way deeper, to the point where there are almost "secret" spells and uses that later bosses will demand you use or challenge you on.

In such a scenario, it's more understandable that FromSoft would have to teach players to really use magic properly, because they can't simply resort to a shield or to a spear. Players HAVE to use magic, thus the game MUST ensure they understand it correctly.

Does that make sense? It's a fundamental pivot on their approach to game design, in terms of mechanics at least. There is a ton of other stuff that has changed massively in Sekiro too - e.g. the mobility/movement stuff which is god-tier IMO - but not much of it needs tutorialisation because it is comprised of such commonly understood tropes.

They'll never figure things out for themselves because they're used to the game telling them everything they need to know. If they get used to having to experiment for themselves and find their own answers to things in the game, they'll most likely keep doing that with new tools and such, and you wouldn't see as many people saying certain prosthetic tools are useless and things like that.

I disagree with this quite strongly, though. Maybe you're right that they could have done more to foster experimentation, but the game is so broad and it makes it clear that it mixes up its rulesets so often that experimentation is something the player will have to engage with at many point.

Before I start, I just wanted to check that the PC version is actually the objectively best version this time around, right?
It's gorgeous

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
No way. This game explains EVERYTHING in detail with constant tutorial popups. I hate that shit in video games and seeing From do that is disappointing as hell. When I say handholding I'm talking about tutorialization, not the gameplay.

This is actually for the better.

If FS went their cryptic way of not explaining a thing in a game such as Sekiro it would have been downright terrible. There's so many systems and elements to the combat that it's almost impossible to find them out and make use of them properly, without the game actually explaning them in detail to you.

They also give you that trainer NPC which is super useful for starters.

Tutorials explaning mechanics =/= Handholding.

slorelli

Nov 1, 2017
Ohio
For those of you currently enjoying the game, how is the difficulty compared to Dark Souls? I loved the DS Trilogy and was thinking about grabbing this on the weekend.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Done anyone else find it odd that after you receive the Mortal Blade you still can't kill the sitting monks in Senpou Temple, even using Mortal Draw? Seems oddly inconsistent for them from a lore standpoint, unless it's explained further along in the game or I'm missing something.

You can kill them. Kill them normally and the deathblow to use it will pop automatically.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
You can kill them once you have the Mortal Blade. You need to do an additional deathblow after the regular one.

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
For those of you currently enjoying the game, how is the difficulty compared to Dark Souls? I loved the DS Trilogy and was thinking about grabbing this on the weekend.

I would say it feels more difficult when you're a souls veteran, because you have to forget all your muscle memory and approach strategies when it comes to combat. With that said, its probably actually about the same level of difficulty.

Oct 27, 2017
The idol that goes into the room where the things were eating each other. Take a right when you get outside and you can grapple to the roof, and there's another grapple from there that leads to that side.
Have you opened the door that was locked from the other side? Once you do that, you'll be able to get on the roof of that building and grapple your way to that part of the palace.
Found it, thanks!

-----
Got another question
How do I get to the Demon of Hatred boss fight?

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on how you play, what you love about DS.
I have real trouble with Sekiro because I suck at parring in DS and always relied on shields instead.
If you are a Ninja Gaiden fella and love the quick reaction stuff, this is your game. If you always summoned folks to beat bosses with, you are alone in this one
and bosses kill you in two swipes.

Exploration is fantastic though and people here have learned the mechanics.

Oct 25, 2017
I have spent the week playing this game and I am still in progress
I actually like the combat better than soulsbornes. However my biggest gripe with Sekiro is pacing. There is a lack of in between mini-bosses and room to unwind. In the previous titles, after you defeat a boss, usually there is a much bigger zone to explore, however in Sekiro, there are only bite-size sessions between choke points. I don't know how far I am into the game but I was blocked at 2 bosses for a very long time and once I defeat them I realize they are only gate-keeping story items.

I don't know how far into the game you are either, but if you're still early, this does change. Early game has a ton of enemies and minibosses, no room to breathe, but it's very much intended. The early portion of the story is basically a rush to Ashina Castle, and then you can breathe. It lets you start exploring at your own pace before that if you really want to, but storywise it's definitely framed in a way to make you beat the Ashina Caslte boss as your third boss, at most.

Though it is quite neat how you can leave that fight for later, it'll probably be this game's equivalent of the "Everything you can do before Gargoyles" run from Dark Souls 1. And I'll probably do that myself on NG+.

I entirely get what you're saying. This discussion is interesting because I'm curious to dig into the differences between the Soulsborn ethos and their approach on Sekiro.

Arguably the whole point comes down to the fact that Souls' gameplay options are so much more broad that you don't NEED to explain mechanics/systems to the player, because any approach should generally work to a sound extent. Players should be able to find their way through because they can swap between 5-6 "build" tactics at any given time (e.g. quickly build armor to buff magic defence, take out your spear to deal with this narrow space, etc).

In Sekiro, there are far fewer systems for the player to swap between, they're just tighter and deeper, so you NEED to engage with them to get anywhere. You can't put your sword away and draw a bow or a wand. FromSoft made the decision to narrow the scope of the gameplay but instead toy with these mechanics/systems more than Souls would with each of its own (because in Souls YOU are the one who can toy with the systems to find your favourite way forward).

An analogy might be like if you could only use magic in the Souls games. Imagine Dark Souls but you can only use magic - but instead they made the "magic" mechanics and systems way deeper, to the point where there are almost "secret" spells and uses that later bosses will demand you use or challenge you on.

In such a scenario, it's more understandable that FromSoft would have to teach players to really use magic properly, because they can't simply resort to a shield or to a spear. Players HAVE to use magic, thus the game MUST ensure they understand it correctly.

Does that make sense? It's a fundamental pivot on their approach to game design, in terms of mechanics at least. There is a ton of other stuff that has changed massively in Sekiro too - e.g. the mobility/movement stuff which is god-tier IMO - but not much of it needs tutorialisation because it is comprised of such commonly understood tropes.

I disagree with this quite strongly, though. Maybe you're right that they could have done more to foster experimentation, but the game is so broad and it makes it clear that it mixes up its rulesets so often that experimentation is something the player will have to engage with at many point.

It does make a lot of sense, yeah, this is a good way of looking at it. Thanks for humoring me on this discussion, by the way.

STILL think they go too far at times, though. It's frustrating to have a tutorial prompt explaining what the dialogue just told you. It's one thing when you're starting the game and they tell you that you can do this or that before a fight against random mobs, but when the game is going out of its way to tell you how to do things through its characters, this should be elevated by the game, it should be considered great tutorialization, it shouldn't be dismissed as "ah they probably didn't even pay attention, let's throw a prompt anyway".

When the game tells you, in-universe, that you need to take to the air to avoid an attack, this should be clear enough, we don't need a prompt right after reading it telling you "JUMP WHEN THE ENEMY USES THAT ATTACK!!!"

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

I'm hanging on to a save at the end of NG, and the end of NG+ (hard mode on) and I'll probably just do 2 runs of it.
I usually do level 1 runs in souls games, but for whatever reason the thought hasn't grabbed me here, maybe I'll try it out later on.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I can't remember being more frustrated by something in a game in the past decade or more than

absolutely dominating O'Rin Of The Water on my second try only taking one hit total only to be completely and utterly crushed by Corrupted Monk for an hour and a half afterwards. I just don't fucking get it and looking up strategies makes me feel like an even bigger loser.

The fact I had to turn it off because I screamed at the TV and nearly smashed the controller on the ground is insane behavior for me. I'll curse at games in extreme cases but never shit like this and it makes me question why I'm doing something for entertainment that can bring that out in me.

I'm just (flame) venting. I'll step away from the game for a few days and come back next week, see if my internal Terror meter has gone down.

Redstreak

Jan 17, 2018
Hey it's a start. Hang in there!

Second phase just put a pillar between you two and wait out the phantoms if they give you trouble.

I think part of my problem is I'm still in Bloodborne mode. I keep forgetting that parrying is a legitimate and encouraged combat mechanic where instead I keep trying to just dodge backwards

Moose the Mooche

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Just had the OT title moment... lol! Was a fun fight.

Question tho:

Can Anyone explain the
between the Castle en the decapetaded tempel
design whise?? Its kinda odd and not satisfying at all imo

Dec 6, 2017
US
It does make a lot of sense, yeah, this is a good way of looking at it. Thanks for humoring me on this discussion, by the way.

STILL think they go too far at times, though. It's frustrating to have a tutorial prompt explaining what the dialogue just told you. It's one thing when you're starting the game and they tell you that you can do this or that before a fight against random mobs, but when the game is going out of its way to tell you how to do things through its characters, this should be elevated by the game, it should be considered great tutorialization, it shouldn't be dismissed as "ah they probably didn't even pay attention, let's throw a prompt anyway".

When the game tells you, in-universe, that you need to take to the air to avoid an attack, this should be clear enough, we don't need a prompt right after reading it telling you "JUMP WHEN THE ENEMY USES THAT ATTACK!!!"

Here's my take between yours and the other poster's side:

I agree with the other poster in that there needed to be more explanation, however then I veer towards your side and think that the actual execution of that is poor and tacked on.

I think the elegant way would've been to read something in scrolls/in-world items and so on and have it unlock a new training mode with the NPC instead of some stilted, tacked-on feeling pop-up screen.

In short: I think it was necessary but the execution is corny and could've been way more elegant especially considering we already have a training area. Should've been neatly tucked in there. Maybe add a new training mode and reference some note about it when receiving these new skill hints by adding a slight lore reference to the trainer NPC's name to hint that you can go ask him for advice? That would've been cool.

That being said, while I think it feels stilted like I said, there's so little of it, it doesn't bother me one bit personally.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know how far into the game you are either, but if you're still early, this does change. Early game has a ton of enemies and minibosses, no room to breathe, but it's very much intended. The early portion of the story is basically a rush to Ashina Castle, and then you can breathe. It lets you start exploring at your own pace before that if you really want to, but storywise it's definitely framed in a way to make you beat the Ashina Caslte boss as your third boss, at most.

Though it is quite neat how you can leave that fight for later, it'll probably be this game's equivalent of the "Everything you can do before Gargoyles" run from Dark Souls 1. And I'll probably do that myself on NG+.

So would you say that I'm playing the game wrong by ignoring the castle? Am I making the game harder? Once I beat the bull I didn't go straight to the castle and just went off. I'm in the Senpou Temple area at the moment and the only major bosses I've fought are Lady Butterfly and the guy on the horse.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
So would you say that I'm playing the game wrong by ignoring the castle? Am I making the game harder? Once I beat the bull I didn't go straight to the castle and just went off. I'm in the Senpou Temple area at the moment and the only major bosses I've fought are Lady Butterfly and the guy on the horse.

Senpou can be explored now but yeah. The monks aren't actually that hard but you'll meet some real fuckers there that I just ran away from lol.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, I have a bunch of questions buzzing around my head at the moment:

1. I am a little ways through the sunken valley and up to mibu village in ashina depths, what should I continue exploring first? I know theres something with ape bosses and wanting to do one place before another or something?

2. What do I do with the sad guy in the Monk area, I've got a white pinwheel and a red and white one?

This is dependent on whether or not you want him to be happy, or if you want him to help out the peddler in Ashina, or suffer immensely.

The white pinwheel leads to his best ending, the red and white one is for either helping out the peddler, or you can choose to send him to the Abandoned Dungeon.

3. What do you do with the kite in the same area?

Unlocks a small area. It's for getting the True Ending.

4. I got rice from the divine kid at the end of the temple area, I know the old lady was asking about it, do I go give it to her or something? also, were the painting monkeys considered the boss of that area? Am I done with it now?

Yes, that was the area boss. I also assume you took down the two mini-bosses. There's a couple of other things in Senpou Temple, but they're relevant for specific endings, and can be done later.
5. What is more worthwhile, the healing upgrade passive abilities, or the ones from the Temple tree that make drops and money better?

Personally, I feel the healing upgrades are better, but I hardly upgrade my ninja tools, nor use too many consumables. So that would depend on whether or not you plan on farming for money and items, since it will help with that.

My answers in the spoilers.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Finally started last night and stopped when I picked up the flame and axe prosthetic. Am I at the halfway point??

I'm having fun and feel decent about my skill so far, but I don't like at all that you have no chance to recover what you lose after death. It's a bit over-the-top and unnecessary, since dying is just part of trying to learn certain enemies and bosses.

But anyway, I feel good that I beat the chained ogre in 2 attempts and without the fire prosthetic. I kinda don't like how you have to pay for uses, but it's not a big deal. Looking forward to playing more this weekend.