• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Three days in; still haven't beaten the Guardian Ape.

This is impossible, watched every guide and I personally think I'm not capable of beating this.

I'm done.

Be patient. Bait his attacks and go in when he's sitting on his butt or for his head when he's flailing on the ground. Use the spear prosthetic and it's follow up for damage at a distance. The GA's attacks have very obvious wind ups.

You can do it!

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
What am I doing wrong?

The mortal blade takes too many ghost emblems so I'm running out of them because I die either way. Can use it like five times and it maybe hits four times. Same goes for the Divine confetti; too short, too rare to really help with all those ghost bosses. The reaction window when the thrust is coming is almost zero (I'm simply not that fast on the buttons), there is almost no window to attack. Also their attack is too strong, one hit and most of health is gone while they take like 300. Highly frustrating.

Playing a bit defensively, stay on her so you can get in as many hits as possible. If you get the Mikiri down it's gonna be a lot easier. Also when she does the sweep attack dont be afraid to jump on her to deplete even more posture. A good habit is to dodge to the side during her straight plunging attack so you can get in 1-2 hits to drain her HP a bit. Once she is at 60% or so, her posture barely regenerates if you keep being aggressive.

Mar 29, 2018
7LgZ24N.gif
Where does the explosion come from?

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
ll
What am I doing wrong?

The mortal blade takes too many ghost emblems so I'm running out of them because I die either way. Can use it like five times and it maybe hits four times. Same goes for the Divine confetti; too short, too rare to really help with all those ghost bosses. The reaction window when the thrust is coming is almost zero (I'm simply not that fast on the buttons), there is almost no window to attack. Also their attack is too strong, one hit and most of health is gone while they take like 300. Highly frustrating.

You aren't supposed to use confetti and I did it without the mortal blade. You need to watch carefully for an opening and then get 1-2 hits and back off. It's a battle of patience. There are a few openings the fight has. If you make some distance between him and you him he'll do that move when he points at you and lunges. At that point you want to parry the lunge and then he'll jump up giving you time to dodge underneath him and get a few blows in. He also does that spin attack that is always timed to do 5 strikes and after them he is wide open.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Be patient. Bait his attacks and go in when he's sitting on his butt or for his head when he's flailing on the ground. Use the spear prosthetic and it's follow up for damage at a distance. The GA's attacks have very obvious wind ups.

You can do it!

It's impossible.

This game singlehandedly ruined apes for me. Apologies if i'm being morbid but if apes got extinct tomorrow i'd be like "Good. Fuck them all."

But I appreciate the positive reinforcement.

Koyomi

Mar 25, 2019
WTF, the random headless under the water in Ashina scared the shit out of me. Thanks FROM for giving him only 1 bar, because fighting underwater kinda sucks.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
What am I doing wrong?

You are being way too defensive. You need to actually hit her to get her HP down so her posture doesn't regen.
You don't need confetti or anything, she is just a regular boss enemy.
Basically just like with every enemy, attack often, then deflect the counters, then attack again and only take a break from that to regen your own posture with blocking.
Also, funny to me how the German translation turns the "corrupted MONK" into a "corrupted NUN".
I know why I never consume any kind of media in my native language, sigh

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Took another stab at Lady Butterfly and Ashina. Took out Lady in two attempts and Ashina in one. Funny, since yesterday I died to them well over a dozen times.

I have a love/hate relationship with this game.

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So what's the best way to deal with these "twirly" staff enemies at Senpou Temple that love to hop around. Currently getting REKT by them lol

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even close to done and I really really hope we get some news of the dlc soon

So what's the best way to deal with these "twirly" staff enemies at Senpou Temple that love to hop around. Currently getting REKT by them lol

I mean best is probably get anti air deathblow. Before I had that I just ignored them

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
omfg, im shaking I DID IT! count me in the 3 plus hours club for the final guy, jesus its just hard to stay playing well after that long. question about afterwards
does kneeling take me to new game plus? like blooodborne ? that peaved me. i'd like to screw around a bit before tha
t.

Mar 29, 2018
TyrantGuardian what the heck are you talking about handholding lol

If Souls is 2/10 handholding then Sekiro is 3/10. They're completely comparable. This isn't Nintendo or Call of Duty handholding we're talking. It's just sliiightly more direction and focus, and made way tighter

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
omfg, im shaking I DID IT! count me in the 3 plus hours club for the final guy, jesus its just hard to stay playing well after that long. question about afterwards
does kneeling take me to new game plus? like blooodborne ? that peaved me. i'd like to screw around a bit before tha
t.

Congrats. It does not, you can watch the credits if you like and then it prompts you. You can choose no and start NG+ whenever you want from the Idol in the hub.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did some looking online and it looks like the PC version has a game-breaking bug, at least for NG+. I don't know what triggers it, but it seems like some people progressing to NG+ are starting with every item from their first playthrough, including key items they're not supposed to have yet. This glitches out a ton of events and character interactions; doors that are supposed to be open are shuttered, NPCs needed to progress the story are missing, and at least one key area is locked in its "late game" state, with enemies that shouldn't be there and events completely out of whack. There doesn't seem to be any way to progress past the third(?) boss as the cutscene will play out (with everyone but Wolf looking like Metal Mario, I might add), but the boss will never materialize.

If your NG+ is bugged, you'll be aware of it right off the bat as you won't be able to leave the well from the normal exit. If you have to swim back through the dungeon to get out, you're already fucked.

Deleted member 12100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fought
Genichiro Ashina
at least 20 times, half of which were spent learning the first phase, and trying to leave enough chugs available for the second phase. Having a great first phase, barely any mistakes, start to get "that feeling", I'm unstoppable. Second phase begins, and I'm meticulous in my attack choices, chipping away posture, and making all the right moves when defending perilous attacks. His posture bar is red for the first time and I have three chugs left, the excitement is building.

Crash to desktop.

FML

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
What am I doing wrong?

You don't need MB or confetti. Just parry and back off when your posture is almost broken.

If you want to punish only one move, make it the sweep or thrust.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Having a hard time with
Blazing Bull. Run? Deflect? The camera is really weird here.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the best place to farm sen do you guys think? There's a ton of stuff that I'd like to buy as I am pretty sure I'm getting near the end as I just unlocked a trophy for visiting all in game areas.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So

I have no idea what made them think this was remotely fair in the slightest. Up until now, you'd fight a 3 pip boss like the Monk and there'd be a way to get a stealth deathblow on it, which in turn made the fight reasonable. For this, it's basically 4 health bars with Genichiro. It feels like FromSoft trying way too hard to make something difficult for the sake of it instead of making something actually fun to engage with. I can hardly learn anything because I'm losing so much before I even reach the real fight. Maybe if they didn't make almost every hit deal 50% of health I'd think this is anywhere near well designed.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So

I have no idea what made them think this was remotely fair in the slightest. Up until now, you'd fight a 3 pip boss like the Monk and there'd be a way to get a stealth deathblow on it, which in turn made the fight reasonable. For this, it's basically 4 health bars with Genichiro. It feels like FromSoft trying way too hard to make something difficult for the sake of it instead of making something actually fun to engage with. I can hardly learn anything because I'm losing so much before I even reach the real fight. Maybe if they didn't make almost every hit deal 50% of health I'd think this is anywhere near well designed.

I agree, which is the reason why I cheesed the hell out of it. It feels like From felt they had to up the ante with the last boss in this one. I have never played DS2 or DeS, but DS, DSIII and Bloodborne all had fair and pretty short last bosses, at least compared to this. Sekiro's is just too long and unforgiving. I have no desire to ever replay the last boss.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, which is the reason why I cheesed the hell out of it. It feels like From felt they had to up the ante with the last boss in this one. I have never played DS2 or DeS, but DS, DSIII and Bloodborne all had fair and pretty short last bosses, at least compared to this. Sekiro's is just too long and unforgiving. I have no desire to ever replay the last boss.

Any tips on cheesing it because I've been chipping away at this for awhile with no luck.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
the last boss owns and I'm looking forward to learning him without Kuro's charm :B

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Beat CM

I completely understood how to defend on it but it felt like I was getting no where on damage. Then I looked it up and you can use 3 snap seeds to take out 30% of it's health and it's also vulnerable to sand so I got it down like to 60% and was easily able to get it's posture up. Easy once I had those tools

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
What am I doing wrong?

I didn't watch the whole video but one thing I immediately noticed is that you are not commiting to any particular strategy.

In this game you usually want to do one of two things, either work on bringing the boss health down first baiting certain attacks that allow you to do health damage, or stick really close to the boss while attacking and deflecting most of the attacks otherwise your posture is not gonna hold. The latter is way harder and it requires that you have a good knowledge of the patterns, since if you screw up the boss will recover posture rather quickly because it has plenty of health.

In that particular boss focus on keep a bit of distance to bait the rotating jumping attack, dodge to the right when the attack is about to hit and do a charged attacked immediately after dodging since the animation is actually pretty smooth and has good range (and deal more damage than a normal attack).

After the health is at half or so you can focus on deflecting, shouldn't take long at that point.