• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Yeah, it isn't super fun. I found that if you went ham on the first two phases of the fight (The two katana fights) you could eat up their posture pretty quickly. The real key for me was learning you could jump counter on the halberd spin attack to completely avoid it and land 3 attacks.

And yeah, fucking Gen's jumping attack could transition to a stab or a sweep and the grass makes it almost impossible to read. This could be solved with unique symbols for each dangerous attack, or maybe by ditching the dumb ass white grass field idea.
The grass definitely makes it harder to identify some of the moves. The area is kind of lame immediately following Bloodborne which ended in basically the exact same area. It takes a lot of the cool factor off, but From loves hammering home the same stuff repeatedly. Surprised the game doesn't wrap up in a poison swamp.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
do we learn who Roberto is btw
My guess is he was one of the children that the monks were attempting to make a divine child, given that the only one that survived mentioned how many there were and they all died. But Ive read passages about that NPC coming to this land to find divine rejuvenation so maybe he was doing so for his son.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It never triggered for me but I think this is only required for the purification ending. I'm about to finish the game with the true ending (return) and never had the conversation triggered
Yea, apparently that step is not important. I got the rest done.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious, what people mean when they talk about "bosses" in the game, since there isn't really a clear distinction between "mini-bosses" and "bosses" right?
Like, is the.....
purple ninja dude
a boss? You have to beat him to progress but you also can backstab him which you can't do to f.e.
Lady Butterfly
. You also can't backstab the ogre as far as I know but I think you could just run past him.

How does NG+ work in this game? Do you keep your stats and skills? Are enemies just tougher or is there more to it?
Bosses have a black in stripe behind their name and give you dreams, mini bosses give you pearls.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I think the final boss was absurd.

It was basically fighting three different bosses in a row, since the first three phases (including Genichiro) all play completely different. Only the fourth pares it back a bit. It requires crazy amounts of memorization to build up Ishinn's posture bar. I genuinely believe several moments in this game aren't balanced properly. Too many boss attacks, especially Ishinn's, have extremely similar start-up animations, but they require totally different counters. And I'm fairly certain one of Genichiro's sweep attacks does not trigger the red icon.

Plus like you mentioned the arena is terribly designed from a gaming standpoint since it makes it extra hard to see the boss's animations, plus the use of color kind of makes everything blend together. It ain't cool. It ain't cool at all.

Although personally I played it up close and personal with Genichiro and Ishinn all the time and that served me the best.

In general regarding difficulty, I'm not sure how much harder can NG+ be since once you have the patterns memorized and the muscle memory in place the challenge disappears. And I already fucking die in a couple of hits already anyway.

Yeah they really need to tone down a bit with the bosses, things are getting out of hand imo. Already thought this about Dark Souls III DLC but this manages to be worse.

Genichiro fight could've been much better if it was just two phases, with more health/posture for the boss in the lightning phase.

Demon of Hatred could also have been two phases (moves from the 2nd and 3rd phase together) though to be fair that boss goes down rather quickly if you use divine confetti and his attacks are really easy to bait/avoid once you know what you are doing.

Last boss was awful, once again there was no need for a 4th phase, which could've been included in the 3rd.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, game is bugged to shit. Just had the completely wrong cutscene play with a character with no textures whatsoever, then cut back to the correct cutscene again with a character with no textures, and now I'm in a boss arena with fog gates, but no boss.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
I can't get over this sentiment that having a correct way to fight a boss is "limiting". The beauty of this game is its combat, if it let you circumvent that there wouldn't be anything remarkable about these engagements.

What I enjoyed about Soulsborne is that there were usually different ways to tackle a boss fight. Slow weapons, fast weapons, magic, parrying, being aggressive without a shield, hiding behind a shield and using a spear. All viable options.
Here, there's just one option, one correct way. That's what I find disappointing.

Though I understand that I was probably expecting something else. And I applaud From for trying something else after the Souls formula got stale. I'm just not sure it works for me.

Oh, and also, bosses surrounded by mobs give me bad DS2 flashbacks.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I'm lost on where to go next. I've opened all the way to Ashina Reservoir. Already defeated long shadow and Seven Spears but I'm guessing it's too soon for me to fight the Shaman? I was doing nowhere near enough damage to him without the fight turning into a slog.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like the LB boss fight is really supposed to be an explicit lesson for it (between the tooltips and her patterns), but she's too easy to brute force with a couple spams. I think Genichiro is the game's best effort at teaching people how to use the skillset in combat, but I think a lotta people don't connect the dots on their own and just feel frustrated and like the game's difficulty is beyond them.
I agree with you on the LB fight. I actually mid-fight had sort of an epiphany about how posture/deflecting/attacking worked and only needed two attempts to defeat her. However Juzou stymied me for so much longer because I didn't understand everything yet and I actually ended up defeating him because the other NPC distracted him enough. If Hanbei was able to be more aggressive like some of the boss/mid-boss characters I think that would go much further in instructing people on what is expected of them out of the combat.

Deleted member 11069

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FIghting
O Rin
and having some success with the poison blade.
- Wish I would not run out of "ammo" so quick
- Or that I have to grind for more
- Would be nice if it had a Bloodborne thing where I can trade ammo for health at least

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Is there any good way to kill ghosts? I do shit damage, fights go forever, and I lose in the end.
... with the mortal blade, but I was wrong, it takes a lot of ghost emblems, I can only carry 17 of them and keep wasting them because I die.
Also, this temporary buff item is rare as fuck and the time it's active is short as fuck; I keep wasting them because I die. I'm at the boss at the watermill.

Another boss I have to cheese for 20 minutes until I die:
the big ass, headless monkey. I sprint until it throws itself to ground, I sprint towards it, can do exactly ONE strike and have to run back IMMEDIATELY because of its scream. I do maybe 1mm of damage. As cool as the boss looks, the second phase is so boring.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Robert(o) is very obvious and memorable if you've encountered where his name is brought up. Hilarious title.
Is there any good way to kill ghosts? I do shit damage, fights go forever, and I lose in the end.
... with the mortal blade, but I was wrong, it takes a lot of ghost emblems, I can only carry 17 of them and keep wasting them because I die.
Also, this temporary buff item is rare as fuck and the time it's active is short as fuck; I keep wasting them because I die. I'm at the boss at the watermill.

Another boss I have to cheese for 20 minutes until I die:
the big ass, headless monkey. I sprint until it throws itself to ground, I sprint towards it, can do exactly ONE strike and have to run back IMMEDIATELY because of its scream. I do maybe 1mm of damage. As cool as the boss looks, the second phase is so boring.
RE your first SPOILER... Not really. You can buy the item needed in unlimited quantities later though, and technically don't need to take out any ghosts before then. If you're talking about the one health bar boss there, then there's tricks to wreck their HP if you pay attention to the nature of the fight. Vague as fuck, but I don't want to ruin it for you.

And regarding your second... Make sure you're not jump attacking for that one hit. Plus, when you've got the timing on the 2 moves where he gives you an opening window, you can do way more than one hit. Had a lot of trouble on that fight until I 'got' it, but now it's cinch.

Last edited:

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Had another great day. Managed to kill the double trouble encounter in the depths on my first try (firecrackers wooo) then hopped back up to the royal residence to smack down a shadow, also on my first try. Found that the v2 old grave is just a silly place to farm exp and money when you learn the route (4 or 5 mobs that grant 580 exp each and 50-80 sen apiece, all assassinated within a minute or so). Not sure if I want to get skills or save up for the special mask.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
On my quest to hold off beating
Genichiro
for as long as possible, I'm curious if there's anything else I can do currently, or if I've done all other available routes so far.'

• I've currently
    [*]Gone through up to the locked door in Gun Fort, beating Snake Eyes and the boss on all fours that you double tap parry.
    [*]Gone through the temple area, fighting the Armoured guy who you push off the bridge, and getting the Senpou scroll thing. I didn't ring the bell yet.
    [*]I've been to Headless both ways, but I've not made a real attempt to kill him.
    [*]I've completely finished Hirata Estate, from what I can tell.
    [*]I've beat Seven Spears near where you start the game.
    [*]I've gone through the Abandoned Dungeon, and spoke to the guy there. He seems to be blocking a door that I've not been through yet.
    [*]I've not been able to kill the guy in the well at the Ashina Reservoir yet. Am I good to take his first health bar by dropping on to him? He seemed to be suggesting he wanted an honourable fight.

Oct 25, 2017
Any other mini bosses or stuff worth grabbing
when Ashina Castle gets taken over? Got the ogre and that ninja guy in the dojo...anything else?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
FIghting
O Rin
and having some success with the poison blade.
- Wish I would not run out of "ammo" so quick
- Or that I have to grind for more
- Would be nice if it had a Bloodborne thing where I can trade ammo for health at least
There actually is an item in the game that lets you do that.
Look up Ceremonial Tanto

Mezati99

Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Planet Earth
Bruh, i know i said i dropped the game few days ago because this shit is just way too difficult

well, i came back cause fuck me the idea of sekito being the only miyazaki title i didn't finish bugged the shit out of me

anyways, this is what happened today:

1/ beat the
Shinobi Hunter Enshin
2/ beat the
purple ninja
3/ beat the
Seven Ashina Spears
4/ beat
Ashina Elite Jinsuke Saze
5/ beat
Lady Butterfly

i was getting my ass handed to me by regular mobs before

Seriously WHAT THE FUCK?!!!!!!!

nD2LWjO.gif

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Genichiro
for as long as possible, I'm curious if there's anything else I can do currently, or if I've done all other available routes so far.'

• I've currently
    [*]Gone through up to the locked door in Gun Fort, beating Snake Eyes and the boss on all fours that you double tap parry.
    [*]Gone through the temple area, fighting the Armoured guy who you push off the bridge, and getting the Senpou scroll thing. I didn't ring the bell yet.
    [*]I've been to Headless both ways, but I've not made a real attempt to kill him.
    [*]I've gone through the Abandoned Dungeon, and spoke to the guy there. He seems to be blocking a door that I've not been through yet.
    [*]I've not been able to kill the guy in the well at the Ashina Reservoir yet. Am I good to take his first health bar by dropping on to him? He seemed to be suggesting he wanted an honourable fight.
If I were in your shoes I would seriously just beat Genichiro before progressing. But there is certainly more you can do. Don't get caught up on "honor".

Oct 25, 2017
Any other mini bosses or stuff worth grabbing
when Ashina Castle gets taken over? Got the ogre and that ninja guy in the dojo...anything else?
Go to the snake shrine if you wish to be infuriated.

Bruh, i know i said i dropped the game few days ago because this shit is just way too difficult

well, i came back cause fuck me the idea of sekito being the only miyazaki title i didn't finish bugged the shit out of me

anyways, this is what happened today:

1/ beat the
Shinobi Hunter Enshin
2/ beat the
purple ninja
3/ beat the
Seven Ashina Spears
4/ beat
Ashina Elite Jinsuke Saze
5/ beat
Lady Butterfly

i was getting my ass handed to me by regular mobs before

Seriously WHAT THE FUCK?!!!!!!!

nD2LWjO.gif

Feels good, right? When the primary barrier to progress is your own skill, sometimes you just have wait a little bit for the effects of practice to kick in.

Oct 25, 2017
Genichiro

• I've currently

Do the well.

Before you beat the boss you've tagged, you can have... (numbers of things)

- 16 vitality
- 3 damage upgrades
- 9 capacity on your bottle
- Advanced the time of the day

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sitting here, the credits are rolling after I slogged 2 and a half hours straight on a boss and I feel like something is awry here...

I thought I just paper mario style pre-emptive bad ended myself via dialogue choice, yet playthrough 2 they say?

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Someone please tell me the best place to farm back Resurrection Nodes after wasting them on final boss attempts.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I enjoyed about Soulsborne is that there were usually different ways to tackle a boss fight. Slow weapons, fast weapons, magic, parrying, being aggressive without a shield, hiding behind a shield and using a spear. All viable options.
Here, there's just one option, one correct way. That's what I find disappointing.

Though I understand that I was probably expecting something else. And I applaud From for trying something else after the Souls formula got stale. I'm just not sure it works for me.

Oh, and also, bosses surrounded by mobs give me bad DS2 flashbacks.
This is still the sekiroulsborne formula, the combat and movement is just different.

Also unlike DS2 you have tons of tactics to lure mobs away and deal with them.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Farming in the endgame is so easy.

Fountain Head
has a spot that can net 4000 xp per minute and close to 1000 coin per minute. Lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sitting here, the credits are rolling after I slogged 2 and a half hours straight on a boss and I feel like something is awry here...

I thought I just paper mario style pre-emptive bad ended myself via dialogue choice, yet playthrough 2 they say?

I don't think the Bad Ending is handled well at all. It is a total departure from the From games, and more like a Persona game except it auto-saves and sticks you to the bad path.

Jul 20, 2018

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yep. You gotta go through NG+ to get to see the rest of the game.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if you're worried about money just go to ng+. with the money upgrades I got 7000g before my first resurrection.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Farming in the endgame is so easy.

Fountain Head
has a spot that can net 4000 xp per minute and close to 1000 coin per minute. Lol.

Yeah I saw a video showing how you can use that and a certain item to basically raise attack power as high as you need. There's my Dark Souls leveling!