• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2018
Hmm. So I apparently have access to three mini-bosses after just beating
Blazing Bull.

I've found the following
A one armed swordsman near the starting point of the game, The Seven Spears General in Ashina Reservoir, Some other General surrounded by what I presume to be near the top of Ashina Castle (straight up the stairs after beating Blazing Bull).

Any suggestions as to which one of these is the easiest/recommended path to go next? I definitely didn't have an easy time beating that last mini-boss nor the first two bosses, proper.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. So I apparently have access to the mini-bosses after just beating
Blazing Bull

I've found the following
A one armed swordsman near the starting point of the game, The Seven Spears General in Ashina Reservoir, Some other General surrounded by what I presume to be near the top of Ashina Castle (straight up the stairs after beating Blazing Bull).

Any suggestions as to which one of these is the easiest/recommended path to go next? I definitely didn't have an easy time beating that last mini-boss nor the first two bosses, proper.

General Stairs is probably the easiest of the three.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I finally managed to kill a boss for the first time at the first try, and a boss at the second try for the first time. Feels great.
The armored knight on the bridge and this crazy claw guy in a temple.
After the knight slashed open the wood wall of the bridge I knew I was supposed to throw him down. His remark only confirmed that. That claw guy, my first try was from above, stealing one sphere of his health, but didn't manage to kill. At the second try, I remembered the chain parry and it felt great to parry all his attacks, jump on him and kill him; this time I didn't even attacked from above.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, calling it a night on this. The good news is that I can handle his first form no problem now. Bad news is I'm not making much progress as all on second string. Might have to just watch some videos to learn his attack patterns. Takes a bit too long to get back to him for anything to stick right now.

You got this. Tips for this dude:

First form is easy once you learn it, as you said.

Second form:
- He is easiest if you get to him during his waiting state and start attacking. After 2 strikes he will deflect one and do one of several follow-ups:
1. Jump back. Just chase him and strike him twice again.
2. Slow left-right strikes. If you deflect two of them you can start attacking again or he may jump back. If you block or get hit by one of them he will do a third strike.
3. Shove attack followed by thrust. Mikiri counter this.
4. Iaido sheath stance where he usually charges up his double slash. Run away and slightly to the side to avoid it, then punish.
- Most of his attacks when not being pressured are three hits.
- His charged projectile can be punished with a last-second dodge and running in to hit him with a strong attack.

Third form:
- You can attack him before he pulls out the spear to delay him getting it.
- The overhead slam is the biggest opening. You can either time a slash on him right after he slams downward but this requires being uncomfortably close, or punish the follow-up attack he almost always does after it.
- If he tries to get you with an overhead slam while you're healing, parry or block it. You won't get enough distance to dodge it.
- He always does a counterable thrust after his 5-attack spear swings or after his two-hit sword/spear attack if you're close enough.
- Try to stay away and only go on the offenses for punishes or during his default walking/standing state because he can tank through your hits if he's in the middle of a spear attack.
- He often pulls out his gun after doing the jump back horizontal swipe; you can punish this if you are close enough. You can even time a dodge forward through the horizontal swipe if you get a read on it.
- You can stun him and do decent damage by doing slash > firecrackers > slash > firecrackers for some good early health damage.

Fourth form:
- Same as third but try to get hit in the air by lightning.

Atilac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The symbol indicates that the next attack will be unblockable. The actual counter you're supposed to use varies based on the attack. If it's a sweep, you should jump. Parry if it's a thrust (or use that lovely Miriki Counter ability from the first skill tree). Dodge to the side if it's a grab (sometimes dodging backwards will work since it will put you out of range).

Gotta learn to read the enemy animation tells.
Thank you for the advice

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
The butterfly is impossible. I'm too slow. Is there something I'm missing? I just can't stop getting smacked.
Art thou not heard of the lord and saviour L1? You need to stop dodging and just learn to parry. Its not hard when you concentrate on that AND when she jumps on those "lines" you can hit her with a shuriken and get another free hit.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
You got this. Tips for this dude:

First form is easy once you learn it, as you said.

Second form:
- He is easiest if you get to him during his waiting state and start attacking. After 2 strikes he will deflect one and do one of several follow-ups:
1. Jump back. Just chase him and strike him twice again.
2. Slow left-right strikes. If you deflect two of them you can start attacking again or he may jump back. If you block or get hit by one of them he will do a third strike.
3. Shove attack followed by thrust. Mikiri counter this.
4. Iaido sheath stance where he usually charges up his double slash. Run away and slightly to the side to avoid it, then punish.
- Most of his attacks when not being pressured are three hits.
- His charged projectile can be punished with a last-second dodge and running in to hit him with a strong attack.

Third form:
- You can attack him before he pulls out the spear to delay him getting it.
- The overhead slam is the biggest opening. You can either time a slash on him right after he slams downward but this requires being uncomfortably close, or punish the follow-up attack he almost always does after it.
- If he tries to get you with an overhead slam while you're healing, parry or block it. You won't get enough distance to dodge it.
- He always does a counterable thrust after his 5-attack spear swings or after his two-hit sword/spear attack if you're close enough.
- Try to stay away and only go on the offenses for punishes or during his default walking/standing state because he can tank through your hits if he's in the middle of a spear attack.
- He often pulls out his gun after doing the jump back horizontal swipe; you can punish this if you are close enough. You can even time a dodge forward through the horizontal swipe if you get a read on it.
- You can stun him and do decent damage by doing slash > firecrackers > slash > firecrackers for some good early health damage.

Fourth form:
- Same as third but try to get hit in the air by lightning.
Thanks for the tips!

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
The butterfly is impossible. I'm too slow. Is there something I'm missing? I just can't stop getting smacked.

Try getting up to her and doing some attacks until you see the big orange spark. That means she's deflected you and is about to do a kick, which you can deflect right back. The fight is a give-and-take of attacks and you can punish her sweep and run away from her air grab before punishing if she tries it. Or knock her out of her jumps with a shuriken.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I get why mechanically it is this way, but it is a big narrative failure that (late game bosses spoilers)
your father is harder and a significantly more intense moment when you kill a fake memory/dream magic version of him than when you actually kill your actual father in the real world.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
You can stunlock her first phase infinitely with Nightjar Slash, you never have to let up or even dodge at all. The second phase is a bit trickier, but you can still get a lot attacks in with the same technique.

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017
I apologize to all the posters here in Sekiro OT.. You may be inadvertently contract Dragonrot from all my deaths.

badnewsbeers

Dec 10, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Slash, then dodge, then dodge-slash, then repeat. You can very nearly stun-lock her by doing this and mixing Nightjar Slash into the combos every so often.

Wow. That worked perfectly.

Hilariously I beat her first try and dropped the controller to reply to you, only to realize I hadn't fully finished her and she called me. The rage was palpable. And then I beat her the next time with ease.

You are my hero today.

00lsen

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
i just have no idea how to beat
genichiro
p3 :((( p1 i p2 are doable, but this lightning in p3 just fucks me up, i dont spend enough time in it to be able to learn his moves :/

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm afraid I just had a mini boss kill himself by follow me into a pit. I got prayer beat or anything out of it. What do I do?

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
Damn the last boss of the Shura ending, not as hard as the normal ending but still, especially the way the fight is design is really annoying
Having to go trough Emma every time was annoying, sometimes she would kill me right at the beginning ^^

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I beat GA

TAKE THAT YOU FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT MONKEY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
man, i'm plateauing pretty hard at a somewhat early game boss. it really is the hard wall that forces you to really learn the mechanics of the game and get a good grasp on them.

Genichiro, this fuckin' guy. didnt really have much problem with Jyuzo or with Lady Butterfly once i got a solid handle on controls, and ive even killed the purple ninjas. can make it through the first two life bars pretty easily most times, barring some garbage button presses and Mikiri misses. but something always happens to me on that Lightning second phase. the first time i was a hair's breadth away from finishing the fight when i died, and instead of resurrecting i hit L1 instead and fucking DIED. i was in such a hurry to be blocking when i got up...

another time, i just got wrecked right off the bat by a long-range thrust and his follow up, just too frazzled to get my block up. popped my rez, get blasted by second lightning strike thinking i was doing it correctly.

ive evolved to the point where the game is very satsifying and i recognize that most failures are on me, but Goddamn sometimes it just feels like shit.

serdarkny

Nov 10, 2018
Usually soulsborne games lose steam towards the end but the last third of this game is really great and my favorite section.

00lsen

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
man, i'm plateauing pretty hard at a somewhat early game boss. it really is the hard wall that forces you to really learn the mechanics of the game and get a good grasp on them.

Genichiro, this fuckin' guy. didnt really have much problem with Jyuzo or with Lady Butterfly once i got a solid handle on controls, and ive even killed the purple ninjas. can make it through the first two life bars pretty easily most times, barring some garbage button presses and Mikiri misses. but something always happens to me on that Lightning second phase. the first time i was a hair's breadth away from finishing the fight when i died, and instead of resurrecting i hit L1 instead and fucking DIED. i was in such a hurry to be blocking when i got up...

another time, i just got wrecked right off the bat by a long-range thrust and his follow up, just too frazzled to get my block up. popped my rez, get blasted by second lightning strike thinking i was doing it correctly.

ive evolved to the point where the game is very satsifying and i recognize that most failures are on me, but Goddamn sometimes it just feels like shit.

i'm in the same boat, game was quite easy so far, but that p3 fucks me up hard

Is there a boss inside Ashina Castle apart from the Elite, or should I just move through to the next area(the valley?).

yes there is, trying the higher levels and enjoy the misery

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Any tricks for

The dude on horseback in front of the castle gate? I noticed that the firecracker seems to startle the horse from time to time but other than that?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. That worked perfectly.

Hilariously I beat her first try and dropped the controller to reply to you, only to realize I hadn't fully finished her and she called me. The rage was palpable. And then I beat her the next time with ease.

You are my hero today.

Glad it helped! She gave me trouble until I realized how weak she was to that kind of strategy. Then she went down quickly.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I was always total garbage at souls parrying. I definitely need to learn the skill for this game.

as a piece of advice, the parrying is very different compared to something like souls. You can keep your guard up and then try and tap the moment it hits. If you are doing it right, you guard no matter what and if you time it correctly you get the parry.

Is there a boss inside Ashina Castle apart from the Elite, or should I just move through to the next area(the valley?).

There is another and it should be obvious where to go from that room.

badnewsbeers

Dec 10, 2017
Ontario, Canada
as a piece of advice, the parrying is very different compared to something like souls. You can keep your guard up and then try and tap the moment it hits. If you are doing it right, you guard no matter what and if you time it correctly you get the parry.

There is another and it should be obvious where to go from that room.
Ohhhhhh

Jesus. I've been timing just to parry. Dammit.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Any tricks for

The dude on horseback in front of the castle gate? I noticed that the firecracker seems to startle the horse from time to time but other than that?

If you're okay with not displaying bushido honour, you can
just run around in a big circle and wait for grapple triggers to chip away at his health. It's pretty brainless, but it's slow and will take you a long ass time.

Ohhhhhh

Jesus. I've been timing just to parry. Dammit.

Just keep in mind that the last handful of bosses all have attacks that still do damage on block, so this isn't fool proof.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Try getting up to her and doing some attacks until you see the big orange spark. That means she's deflected you and is about to do a kick, which you can deflect right back. The fight is a give-and-take of attacks and you can punish her sweep and run away from her air grab before punishing if she tries it. Or knock her out of her jumps with a shuriken.

I feel like this is something that should be in the OT or something, because it's something is a major part of boss fights/fights in general but can easily be missed if you don't know what it is or what you're looking for.

The first time I noticed it was
Corrupted Monk V1, when you can get 3 or so attacks in before the orange spark pops up, which means you have a very short window to go into defensive mode to counter an incoming combo

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
That 4/10 from Slant Magazine, damn. Reviewer was mad as hell at the difficulty :3

He mad. He is also refusing to play it right. He mentions one of the keys to the combat as being "dodge (a lot)" which simply isn't true and will get you killed. He then states that the prosthetic tools aren't creative enough and only lists four of the first tools you get, and none of the upgrades for them. The weirdest criticism is that you don't feel like a ninja in the boss fights, which, I don't know, I felt like a pretty fucking awesome ninja. I don't think he played much of the game at all.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
He mad. He is also refusing to play it right. He mentions one of the keys to the combat as being "dodge (a lot)" which simply isn't true and will get you killed. He then states that the prosthetic tools aren't creative enough and only lists four of the first tools you get, and none of the upgrades for them. The weirdest criticism is that you don't feel like a ninja in the boss fights, which, I don't know, I felt like a pretty fucking awesome ninja. I don't think he played much of the game at all.

This is what I am seeing from people. They drop the game and walk away after only trying to play one way and it not working out.

Deleted member 21858

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, it seems he got to a boss fight and just gave up, which is unfortunate. And yeah, dodge in this game is super nerfed compared to Dark Souls/Bloodborne, so you need to block and parry everything. I guess he stopped the game faily early on and decided to give it a low score without trying to get better at the combat.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Well, I beat my first real boss in
Oniwa. Typical FROM shit. Got my ass kicked a few times and then got his attack pattern memorized and demolished him shortly after. Fun fight, for sure.

Where should I go next? I have the
axe. Should I go back to Estate or just continue onward?

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
It's one of the best fights this developer ever produced. I needed roughly 40 tries and had fun every time.

Thanks for the detailed response - I appreciate it. I'm sadly not sure we'll find common ground here, but I'll try to add a little clarity to my thoughts if I can.

Consider the Cleric Beast: it uses no particular attacks that differ mechanically from the enemies immediately before it: brick trolls, scourge beasts, that one executioner all use the same slow, wide heavy attacks and occasional pounces the Cleric Beast will use. Moreover, its key weakness to fire, beast blood pellets and serrated weapons are shared by the scourge beasts that directly precede it. If you're able to best the enemies on the bridge, that you'll need to pass to reach him, the Cleric Beast won't blindside you with anything you haven't already mastered.

By the time you reach Gascoigne you'll have passed through the sewers and bested the much faster stronger beastmen there. If you've explored, you'll have met Eileen the Crow and learnt something of hunters, levelled up and upgraded your weapons - you might even have even found the music box by talking to his daughter and picked up the Saw Hunter Badge to try new weapons if you're struggling.

All of these things, including new enemy encounters are consistent with the next tough fight you'll encounter. Gascoigne won't introduce poison or a rage mechanic out of nowhere, he'll used the same mixture of melee and ranged, albeit much faster and much harder - it'll take what know you and test it harder.

Now consider Sekiro's first tough encounter: not strictly a boss, but a sub boss, that occurs after just a few actual enemy encounters. He will immediately drop two new mechanics (trust and sweep) not foreshadowed previously that the game will only explain using on screen pop ups.

The next major encounter, the chained orgre, will introduce grabs and a red-eye mechanic on top of a moveset completely alien to anything yet encountered. Again, you won't learn by doing, you'll be told directly via an NPC/on-screen tutorial.

Next for many will be Juzuo, who'll introduce poison alongside a large mob and heavy damage, no tutorial at all.

Lady Butterfly will introduce illusions only in her second phase, again the tutorial will be a single NPC right before.

The horse boss is a completely new fight dynamic with an almost new grappling hook attack mechanic.

The bull introduces fire (I think), no tutorial, Genichiro lightning - like Lady Butterfly in his second phase, and like her tutorialised by a direct on-screen tutorial right before hand.

When you encounter BSB's crazy poison abilities in Bloodborne, it's not some wild new mechanic, merely a tougher version of what you've already encountered.

Not all encounters in BB adhere to this, I grant you, though as the game wears on, you'll rarely, if ever, find bosses tossing out some totally unseen mechanic - even Micolash's bizarre attacks are all pre-figured in small prior enemies.

In this way Bloodborne never needs to pause your game while it talks you through a new system, it shows organically through game design, rather than by telling. Sekiro seems to take a different tact and to me, it means that already tough encounters come with a side order of 'here, master this while you're at it'.

Genichiro as a test makes sense and I beat his first phase multiple times, but then - out of nowhere - I have a new mechanic to tackle and I can only practise that by resitting the test, even the part I passed, time and time again.

I found that frustrating, like being asked to complete a plate spinning course only to find the final exam included juggling too.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
NG+2 with bell and no charm done. Jesus fucking Christ the
Lone Shadow Longswordsman (in his small ass room) and Snake Eyes were nightmares.

Now onto NG+3

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
In prior games, when hitting a brick wall there were two options. Grind enemies for souls/levels. Use summoning bell. How does one deal with such situations now except git gud?

Status
Not open for further replies.