• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
I just beat
The Guardian Ape on my first attempt! I saw him just chilling in the water just below the shrine, so I figured I'd at least give it a shot, but I didn't expect to actually beat him. It's definitely a fight that Soulsborne fans will have an easier time with. I personally thought his second phase was easier than the first. His moves were much more predictable.
Same. He can pretty much be posture broken the second phase, while the first is a typical and brutal Souls beast fight that comes down to whittling his health down.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I've been through so many hardships with this game,but now that I've reached the final 2 bosses, I can definitely say it's much likely I won't be able to finish the game. I hit a literal brick wall with these 2 bosses .

Kudos to FROM for the high difficulty and the game they delivered for their hardcore long time fans,all those activision concerns were so misplaced after all

Is the tutorial boss beatable btw ?

I just beat
The Guardian Ape on my first attempt! I saw him just chilling in the water just below the shrine, so I figured I'd at least give it a shot, but I didn't expect to actually beat him. It's definitely a fight that Soulsborne fans will have an easier time with. I personally thought his second phase was easier than the first. His moves were much more predictable.

Yeah I felt right at home with this fight,it screamed Soulsborne all over. It was awesome too

Ok so I have no idea where I need to go.
I killed the guardian ape, got the white flower and the place I know where I could go is in the abandoned dungeon BUT the boss requires divine confettis which I dont have. What should I do next..?
Aldo this game really needs a fucking quest log. I had completely forgotten the surgeon quest. Wonder what else I have forgotten. An ability to leave notes near totems would be great also.

Through the area you literally started the game,it connects with the area with that apparition boss. You make a jump there and continue past this boss

Last edited:

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
Guardian Ape is destroying me. It's so counter to every other encounter so far with not being able to block or deflect. Any tips?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I've fought and lost to Girochiro three times now and I can already tell that this is going to be one of my favorite fights in Souls history. His attacks are readable, varied and I actually feel that "clash of swords" feel the game strives to capture. It's fuckin' gooooood, I love it.

exactly, the whole sword clashing thing this game has going on is highly unique and getting the rhythm down is half the fun!

Oct 28, 2017
Does Dragon Rot straight make NPC's disappear or something? Because I can't for the life of me find this shop guy I found earlier. I got a dragon rot that I was pretty sure was a description for this guy so I assume that's what happened?

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
So after thinking about it a bit, I realized how good the on-boarding is in Ashina Outskirts even if it seemed linear and not as fun at the time.

The first general is a great teacher of what you're going to be facing. He's by himself and just waiting for you, no surprises or jumping out of nowhere. He teaches you that you should take advantage of stealth and find a way to get the drop on the tougher enemies to get rid of their first bar. He also has a move set of sweeps, thrusts, and parryable attacks to give you a general feeling of how the minibosses are going to go.

The Chained Ogre is a bone thrown to Souls veterans. The primary tactic to defeat him involves dodging his big attacks, going in for a few quick swings, then disengage and step back. Facing him is the most similar to a regular Souls battle, his wonky hitbox grabs aside. It also gives you your first taste of how having the right prosthetic equipped can make or break a battle if you use it correctly. Ogre is basically From saying yes, your Souls skills will still be applicable in some battles.

The second General is a tutorial on stealth and clearing our enemy mobs, and also using your grapple to disengage if you get overwhelmed. This is probably one of the easiest big mob arenas to clear out in the game through stealth and gives you a broader sense of how you should approach combat as a shinobi. It gets you to work on killing all the enemies before attacking the General so you can get that sweet, sweet stealth attack and eliminate one of his health bars. And then, of course, the miniboss is a type of enemy you've already fought before, so you have the added bonus of having a slightly easier time with the actual miniboss if you get him 1v1, since you've faced a general before.

Finally, Gyoubu the actual boss takes place in a giant arena which allows you a lot of freedom and mobility. All his attacks are super telegraphed and have plenty of wind-up, and with the wide open space you can easily take the time and learn each attack and whether to dodge or block/parry. It also incorporates the grapple as a way to close distance and get in close to ruin his posture. Plus, its your first battle where you absolutely have to fight both health bars, but it does it in a way that gives you plenty of advantages.

It feels like a lot at the time, but looking back each miniboss was a stepping stone leading up to the boss at the end that allows for a good foundation for playing Sekiro properly.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
just absolutely destroyed
Genichiro on my second try. I have done multiple other regions before even doing the castle now and at this point having a "deflect check" boss was a pushover. Absolutely murdered him.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Corrupted Monk's boss theme is actually really good
My favorite track in the game. Sadly the rest of it doesn't stick out to me as much as past games. It might be because certain tracks feel brutally overused by the end of the game.

I think the next time From does background music they should tone it down or just layer some percussion on top of the ambient music.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Is there much difference between the normal "good" ending and the two secret endings? I'm not sure if I want to mess with back up/save scumming to see them all, so I was most likely going to go with one of the secret endings.

anyprophet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm playing on PC and the game isn't properly releasing reserved RAM so my system eventually crashes unless i reboot or clear it out with rammap. is anyone else having this issue? googling around isn't helping much and i'm afraid it's a problem with my specific setup.

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Any tips for this side quest end boss?

I have both Doujun and Jinzaemon waiting for me near the sunken dungeon entrance. The space to fight them both is really small and I can't seem to beat them. Any tips?

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Guardian Ape is destroying me. It's so counter to every other encounter so far with not being able to block or deflect. Any tips?
Deflect will still avoid damage, you just wont be weakening the apes' mighty posture.
Which is to say it's a good ol' fashioned vitality beatdown, try and move around its side and rear (but watch out for that booty gas), prolonged beating on it leads to knockdown states, when it retreats you can sometimes grapple onto the sword on its head to close the gap and get some aerial strikes in.
you can just jump to avoid the sweeping grab, fire blasts can singe him good.
If he starts flailing on the ground be aware that his arms will cause damage, it's an easy move to just stand out of the way of and gives you a moment of free attacking when he's done and getting back up.

Ultimately I feel like this boss was where classic Souls style approach came back into play.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

Okay. So, parry his attacks (his swings are pretty wide, and he doesn't really alter the timing). When he does a giant uppercut, jump back. As he flops on the ground, throw oil at him, then set him on fire. As he screams, cut him (you can get about a quarter of his health off with this). When you see the kanji pop up, he is about to grab you, jump up and slice him in the air. When he sits with his back to you, cut him a few times, but the second he gets up book it to avoid the poison cloud. Oh, and when he throws the "dirt ball" (god I hope it is dirt), jump backwards just before it hits the ground in front of you. He will drop very, very quickly doing it this way.

Last edited:

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Finally beat the chained ogre. Cleared the next area and died on the mini boss a few times already. I'm already tired of clearing the area so I can try to fight the samurai guy, I wish I could practice him or something. Having to clear out all the fodder enemies every time I die so I cam attempt the mini boss is getting really tiresome. This game isn't for me is it?

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man it's so tedious to clear out the enemies around the drunkard. The game does not shine when there are 8 enemies in one screen. The lock on/camera is unstable at times, and in this arena the trees/branches obstruct my view when they come in close on the camera.

If it weren't for them the drunkard would be one of the best boss fights IMO.

Jul 20, 2018
Okay. So, parry his attacks (his swings are pretty wide, and he doesn't really alter the timing). When he does a giant uppercut jump back. As he flops on the ground, throw oil at him, then set him on fire. As he screams, cut him (you can get about a quarter of his health off with this). When you see the kanji pop up, he is about to grab you, jump up and slice him in the air. When he sits with his back to you, cut him a few times, but the second he gets up book it to avoid the poison cloud. Oh, and when he throws the "dirt ball" (god I hope it is dirt), jump backwards just before it hits the ground in front of you. He will drop very, very quickly doing it this way.

It's poisonous just like his farts. It's poop.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Finally beat the chained ogre. Cleared the next area and died on the mini boss a few times already. I'm already tired of clearing the area so I can try to fight the samurai guy, I wish I could practice him or something. Having to clear out all the fodder enemies every time I die so I cam attempt the mini boss is getting really tiresome. This game isn't for me is it?

That area was a bit annoying at first, but once you agro the area you can hide in the entranceway and the general will come up to the doorway for a free stealth hit and then you can kill him inside without the rest of his groupies.

Just have to watch out for the games camera which tries to screw you over indoors

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
are there any bugs with the unlocked fps mod?
When you brush against a wall, your character will move at a crawling speed until you dodge or jump or stop moving for a second. It's not really as bad as it sounds and it's the only bug I've run into playing at 144fps for most of the game. Those 6.9ms frame times are worth it.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just done the bad ending run of the game - holy shit this boss was so amazing and hard. All 4 in the bag now, waiting for DLC!

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm close to wrapping it up. I beat
Demon of Hatred
and I'm now at the final boss. Good lord, this boss fight is fucking amazing, but also hard a shit. I'm only able to get halfway through it now.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Killed the
Shinobi Hunter mini-boss. Going up against the Drunkard this weekend.
Oh boy!

I think I'll get some more skills in preparation...

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
This game is outstanding. Never played a game this fluid and action packed since maybe rising by platinum games?

From Software deserves to be highly celebrated with was accomplished here. Piece of art.

DLC please be freaking epic and challenging!

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, calling it a night on this. The good news is that I can handle his first form no problem now. Bad news is I'm not making much progress as all on second string. Might have to just watch some videos to learn his attack patterns. Takes a bit too long to get back to him for anything to stick right now.

Atilac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That red symbol that shows up before certain attacks, can I deflect that? Or is that dodge only? The combat isn't clicking with me like bloodborne did. Gotta give it more time.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Beat the
Purple Ninja in the Well
and fuck that camera.
The Camera in tight spaces is the real boss of this game.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmm

So I got all the way to the drunken dude in the flashback but couldn't beat him so went back to the present and now I killed the chained ogre and the samurai right after him... Is there anything else to do other than going back to the flashback right now? I moved forward... Met a giant fucking snake so turned around and continued along the path... Found the headless or whatever its name is but haven'T fought it... So... I'm not too sure where to go now?

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Quick question regarding unlocking the true ending-

Does it matter which Persimmon's I initially give to the Divine Child? I gave her regular ones before knowing there are Taro Persimmons -_-

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That red symbol that shows up before certain attacks, can I deflect that? Or is that dodge only?
The symbol indicates that the next attack will be unblockable. The actual counter you're supposed to use varies based on the attack. If it's a sweep, you should jump. Parry if it's a thrust (or use that lovely Miriki Counter ability from the first skill tree). Dodge to the side if it's a grab (sometimes dodging backwards will work since it will put you out of range).

Gotta learn to read the enemy animation tells.

Last edited:

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
question regarding one ending:

is it mandatory to visit Hirata Estates at the beginning of the game for the purification ending or is it possible to visit it just the second time(beating owl) for the ending?

The symbol indicates that the next attack will be unblockable. The actual counter you're supposed to use varies based on the attack. If it's a sweep, you should jump. Dodge to the side if it's a thrust

thrusts can all be countered by mikiri...just grabs need to be dodged

Status
Not open for further replies.