• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been curious about his grab. I suppose we can't Mikiri Counter that can we? He's been baiting me into Mikiri Counter left & right
He kinda has an obvious tell when he's going for it, he'll do a bit of a dash forward to your side not only that but you can hit him out of it and it'll stagger him to the floor.

I'm talking about the grab btw. He'll usually use the thrust that you can counter with Mikiri after a jump attack though he switches this up on round 2.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
The thing about the boss you're stuck on right now is that he's kind of the ur-test for all the mechanics the game wants you to learn. All of his moves (except for his projectiles) have fairly clear patterns and he generally tends to mix them up in very specific ways. I'm not going to call him easy, because he's not, but what you really need to do to excel against him is just understand the ways he functions. Once you do that, you will be able to parry him like a champion and take him down.

For example, in phase 1, he will ALWAYS follow his jump slash with a thrust attack if you parry the jump. If you bait him into using it it's basically a free Mikkiri Counter. However, in the second phase, he starts mixing up his follow-up attacks - sometimes he'll still use the thrust, and other times he'll use a sweep and try to bait you into dodging into the backside of his slash. Watch the way he grips his sword - if he takes it in both hands, he's going to do a thrust, and if he holds it out to his side, jump to the left to avoid getting clipped by his sweep slash, or jump kick him in the face.

It's really a boss battle about learning the ideal way to counter each attack he throws out.
Yeah I want to finish him off and then just watch youtube for the rest of the bosses. I just want to retire. I'm thinking just focus on exploration and not fight anymore bosses. That dude has beaten all will to fight out of me

He kinda has an obvious tell when he's going for it, he'll do a bit of a dash forward to your side not only that but you can hit him out of it and it'll stagger him to the floor.
Yeah but I was asking can we Counter it

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I've been curious about his grab. I suppose we can't Mikiri Counter that can we? He's been baiting me into Mikiri Counter left & right

Mikiri counter is only thrust attacks. He does have that big thrust attack, as someone mentioned, but if trying to mikiri counter too much is baiting you into grabs you might want to dial it back a bit until you can read which move he's going for.

Jyrii

Oct 27, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Oh yeah, the game is finally starting to feel (a bit) right.

Nearly killed Lady Butterfly, went the other path and faced Gyoubu Oniwa. Got a deathblow against him, but lost a bit after. Tried again and killed him.

Then went back for Lady Butterfly and killed her that time also.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
It's in higher NG where you start feeling the importance of unseen aid need 35k for a skill point and loosing half when dying is not fun. The enemies give more XP overall but damn these last few points are slow.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I want to finish him off and then just watch youtube for the rest of the bosses. I just want to retire. I'm thinking just focus on exploration and not fight anymore bosses. That dude has beaten all will to fight out of me

Yeah but I was asking can we Counter it
I edited my post, my bad see above.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
I want to commend these devs for making a really tough action game but I fear it's too much for me. I've been stuck on this 3rd major boss (on top of Ashina Tower) for days:

Genichiro. I made sure to practice Mikiri Counter with the undead guy at the dojo. I still miss the Counter sometimes and get punished. I also suppose there's a move or two that I am no doubt misreading still.

I have gotten to Phase 3 a few times only to get wiped asap.

I know I can get this boss someday but what Hellish boss awaits me after? Will I be stuck for days on the next major boss again? My life is just too busy for all that. I'm thinking to call it after I eventually beat this major boss.

I have been exposed it seems. Reflecting back on previous games of this ilk from From Software, I suppose I did Summon people if a boss was just too much.
I think you should just move to next areas and come back after you increase your health and posture. I didn't even know about that boss so I moved on and did the other areas first. Beat the boss in 2 tries after I came to know about it but had much higher posture and health than i was supposed to.

Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn I can't stop thinking about this game, I really just wanna go home and play. I didn't think anything was gonna surpass RE2 or DMC for me this year, but....
for real straight dreamed about it last night .. I even post in the thread in my dream... LOL I love taking about it and looking a videos just as much as I do playing it.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
First BS boss in the game:

Demon oh hatred. It feels like a BB boss, with the BB camera, but with an insane amount of HP and really cheap attacks (the fire projectiles, the rush Ludwig attack with a hitbox twice the boss, constant fire damage...) Really disliking this boss.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I think there was a missed opportunity in the story -
Genchiro black mortal blade is called "gatekeeper", and can open the gates to the underworld. I would've loved to venture to that realm, and fight japanese folklore oni. Maybe dlc?

Also, very cool having that "ah hah" moment when you see Genchiro jumping stances, attacks are from the fountainhead palace, and that Tomoe is his mother, isshins wife. She'll probably be in the DLC.

Demon oh hatred. It feels like a BB boss, with the BB camera, but with an insane amount of HP and really cheap attacks (the fire projectiles, the rush Ludwig attack with a hitbox twice the boss, constant fire damage...) Really disliking this boss.

Lore wise, it's really awesome. Take a closer look at it, it's someone you might recognize ;)

Dec 6, 2017
US
Having to adult and actually be at work when I could be at home farting into my couch while heinously screaming obscenities at Sekiro with chips crumbles flying at the screen shuriken-style is possibly the lamest shit that's ever happened.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I'm stuck between the Drunk and the Horse guy.

The Drunk has 10 dudes around him to mop up before I can even touch him and even after I do, he kicks my ass with his fucking sumo moves and relentless sword swipes. My friend told me there's a guy you can get to help on one of the rocks, but that's not really going to help all that much with the boss, maybe the mobs.

I can't space the Horse guy because he's so mobile and his range is so big, especially when he does his spear on a rope attack. I have the Grapple-Attack skill, but it doesn't stun him every time so half the time I do it he just tanks my hit and smacks me. The horse is supposedly afraid of gunpowder or something, but I don't have an actual gun, just the flamethrower tool.

Not really sure how to proceed or if I'm missing a tool or strategy that can help with either one.
I think it's pretty easy to rush down the adds in the drunkard fight. After that you can talk to the buddy and let him tank while you burst the boss. If you talk to him first, he tends to die too fast.

In the horse fight, don't be afraid to block if deflects feel too difficult. He doesn't do that much posture damage so blocking is pretty safe. Then take a few hits when it's safe. I'm not sure what your issue is with the rope attacks, those were always freebies for me.

Xarius

Oct 28, 2017
For what it's worth, you can explore the entire world except the final area if you beat the boss you're currently on. You will have to beat some mini-bosses, though.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Here's some tips for it.

The rush is the only unblockable attack that it has in the first 2 phases so as soon as you hear the sound cue jump. The fire projectiles are there to punish you for rushing to it after the dash. Hang back and it will either come to you or do the slam. The slam is free damage if you dodge it due to it's long recovery.

Mar 29, 2018

The Drunk has 10 dudes around him to mop up before I can even touch him and even after I do, he kicks my ass with his fucking sumo moves and relentless sword swipes. My friend told me there's a guy you can get to help on one of the rocks, but that's not really going to help all that much with the boss, maybe the mobs.

I can't space the Horse guy because he's so mobile and his range is so big, especially when he does his spear on a rope attack. I have the Grapple-Attack skill, but it doesn't stun him every time so half the time I do it he just tanks my hit and smacks me. The horse is supposedly afraid of gunpowder or something, but I don't have an actual gun, just the flamethrower tool.

Not really sure how to proceed or if I'm missing a tool or strategy that can help with either one.
You can deflect all the attacks these foes throw at you, just forget about Dragonrot or dying to much and imagine you have all the time in the world to learn their moves: then get into the fight, study them, and parry at the perfect moment. They'll both go down way faster than you expect.

I am now past the Ogre thanks to glorious era assistance!

Are full skill points saved after death?
yeah :)

Moose the Mooche

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Each time i'm ready to give up on the game i beat the roadblock lol. The dude in
gave me more trouble then i wanted. The drop deathblow is very iffy and the area is tight as fuck. But as soon as i fugered out to go for his health instead of posture i did him in two tries.

So far this game is going from roadblock to roadblock for me.. But for some reason i cant put it away. But i am not playing it in huge sections like souls games. It cost me to much adrenalin to play this game. Its not good for my health lol

Oct 27, 2017
People worry too much about Dragonrot. I am like15 hours in and i haven't healed it once. It doesn't do anything tangible at all really and i have enough items to heal it 4 times right now
same... I had 5 rot essences and 9% unseen aid. but now I have 5 of those doplet items... so I said fuck it and cured it.. Ive die about 10 times after that soo far and still no one has gotten it again. but the game really does give you alot of those items if you use them at the right time.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Made good progress this evening. Got towards the end of the valley level. Bosses have been ok since genichiro but as seeming this is towards end of game, I imagine its gonna start ramping up.

Great game!

Xarius

Oct 28, 2017

You can heavily abuse stealth for the drunkard if you wish. Stealth-kill a grunt, then go and quickly kill any other grunts you can. If you get overwhelmed, run away to de-aggro, then go back and repeat until every grunt is dead. After that, de-aggro again and backstab the drunkard to take out one bar. Then go ask the guy for help and 2v1 him; shouldn't be too hard to finish him off at that point.

Oct 27, 2017
The story is way more engaging than Dark Souls, and From Software continues to pick excellent voices for their games... the voice acting in english is so good.
compared to DS and BB the English VO isnt that good at all, but someone said a few dozen pages back that the company that did the E VO for DS and BB didnt work on this game.Which really shows. The Japanese is sooo much better. As far as I know FROM did the Japanese dub.

Dec 6, 2017
US
compared to DS and BB the English VO isnt that good at all, but someone said a few dozen pages back that the company that did the E VO for DS and BB didnt work on this game.Which really shows. The Japanese is sooo much better. As far as I know FROM did the Japanese dub.

The English voices feel very "normal" compared to From's previous weirdly aloof and eerie deliveries in Souls/Bloodborne, that's what threw me for a loop. I've come to expect that otherworldy vibe from their characters' voices so it was weird to hear and I went back to Japanese where I can pretend it's eerie because I have no clue anyway.

Apr 24, 2018
It's super easy to miss that prosthetic. I had to go back and find it after I was done with <boss name>
I initially missed it, too. I watched a streamer right after I got through the area to try and learn how i can play a bit better and saw him pick it up. I killed all the enemies in that area but couldn't see the little white icon in the brightly lit area.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's pretty easy to rush down the adds in the drunkard fight. After that you can talk to the buddy and let him tank while you burst the boss. If you talk to him first, he tends to die too fast.

In the horse fight, don't be afraid to block if deflects feel too difficult. He doesn't do that much posture damage so blocking is pretty safe. Then take a few hits when it's safe. I'm not sure what your issue is with the rope attacks, those were always freebies for me.

You can deflect all the attacks these foes throw at you, just forget about Dragonrot or dying to much and imagine you have all the time in the world to learn their moves: then get into the fight, study them, and parry at the perfect moment. They'll both go down way faster than you expect.

Yeah, I think I'm far too paranoid about just blocking shit, I'm trying to deflect everything when not-dying needs to be number 1.

You can heavily abuse stealth for the drunkard if you wish. Stealth-kill a grunt, then go and quickly kill any other grunts you can. If you get overwhelmed, run away to de-aggro, then go back and repeat until every grunt is dead. After that, de-aggro again and backstab the drunkard to take out one bar. Then go ask the guy for help and 2v1 him; shouldn't be too hard to finish him off at that point.

I've considered this option, but I don't want to resort to it unless I feel completely helpless.

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
So, did I dream or did some people say that
the finger whistle prosthetic would turn the second ape against the headless one? Didn't do shit for me

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I had a good run last night where I was just knocking down bosses left and right and then I got to O'Rin of the Water. We'll see how it goes today.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
so y'all gonna help me with that
closer statue to the owl
so my salt levels go down a bit or what? >_>

fyi there is three minibusses you might miss if you go straight for owl - chained ogre bottom of castle, lone shadow where ashina elite was, and another sword man at the giant snake temple

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On NG* and it's amazing how remarkedly easy these boss fights up to Ashina Castle has been compared to the first time I went through them.

Oct 27, 2017
The English voices feel very "normal" compared to From's previous weirdly aloof and eerie deliveries in Souls/Bloodborne, that's what threw me for a loop. I've come to expect that otherworldy vibe from their characters' voices so it was weird to hear and I went back to Japanese where I can pretend it's eerie because I have no clue anyway.

yeah that's why I liked them soo much it added to the setting an also added an eeriness to the game, I even liked the fact none of the npc's mouths moved in DS&BB.. I think also that's just why the Japanese is better it fits the setting more. But the English has to same pauses and stops as the Japanese does, and that makes the English VO sound off to me. I would have been fine if they used European voice actors too.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Gotta say, I didn't expect this game to push my shit in so much. Every new mini-boss encounter feels like I'm going up against the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst for the first time all over again.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I think you should just move to next areas and come back after you increase your health and posture. I didn't even know about that boss so I moved on and did the other areas first. Beat the boss in 2 tries after I came to know about it but had much higher posture and health than i was supposed to.
For what it's worth, you can explore the entire world except the final area if you beat the boss you're currently on. You will have to beat some mini-bosses, though.

I've been walking around a bit
In that Underground Cavern/Dungeon I ran into some miniboss that casts Fear. He seems crazy hard too. I just messed with him a little
Also in some other area (maybe Ashina Depths? I'm at work right now), I ran into Snake Eyes and hes surrounded by a bunch of annoying minions.
At Senpou Valley I've loving taking out my frustration on those poor little monks. I cant get tired of killing those guys. Just made it to the next zone there. Havent seen a miniboss yet but I'm sure I'll stumble into one shortly

Oct 26, 2017
A question about NG+

I have full vitality now (20 IIRC) and the Steam achievement for maximum HP appearead. Thanks to the mask you can obtain more attack power easily, but I wonder how harder NG+ will be if the character can't improve the HP further. There's another HP cap for NG+?

I'm on NG+5 and the cap is the same as on NG. I wanna keep going to get max attack power, I always play with Sinister Burden and I've yet to get one shot by something I think, and that extra damage you deal feels good. If you don't care about unlocking skills at all the mask does help, otherwise it's probably harder to get attack power via the mask.

It's in higher NG where you start feeling the importance of unseen aid need 35k for a skill point and loosing half when dying is not fun. The enemies give more XP overall but damn these last few points are slow.

Man it's so slow, I farmed the last skill points I needed at the end of NG+4 and it still took me a while. When you kill a boss and then lose that exp by dying to another boss it hurts lol.

NIN90

Nov 6, 2017
Midgame boss question:

So is using up all my Divine Confetti against the Corrupted Monk my only viable option (other than doing pitiful damage) or is there something refillable for that purpose (I know there's an item like that for antidotes) or is there something else I could be doing here?

Status
Not open for further replies.