• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tirisfal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
Guarduan Ape... jesus h christ. I spend all night and finally cut off it's head. I screamed "YESSS!"
Then I fucking screamed again as a headless fucking cunt destroyed my life. I'm going to bed

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

If you have to constantly repeat the act of memorizing boss moves for every single boss, then how could you even argue that action is "skill" based?

You're skill isn't really increasing if you're constantly dying to bosses who on a fundamental combat level, have far more in common than they do differences. Obviously as you play more you will naturally improve, but the difficulty in this game is like 90% memorizing enemy attack patterns, 10% execution.

I made the comparison with farming souls because it's a similar time sink that you can use to get over hurdles. It seems like almost everyone playing this game is just dying repeatedly on every single boss, and only when they master that encounters attack pattern are they able to continue.

The question is, how much time do you actually need to put into this game to become competent enough to where you don't need to "time dump" bosses and you can use your "skills" to defeat them without perfect pattern recognition?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Soulsborne games emphasized both. You had the catharsis of beating a boss AND you got cool shit sometimes. And you could find cool shit in the environments or build your character the way you want to build them. Fashion Souls and the like is part of the reason people kept coming BACK to Souls for years after the games started to age.

Meanwhile, there's no real customization in Sekiro. You can't define your own playstyle, you have to play by the game's extremely rigid ruleset or you die. The only progression is entirely skill-based. Why would I ever do a New Game Plus run in Sekiro compared to Souls when I can't play the game any differently on a second run?
They didn't tho. They emphasized progression. Loot acquisition was an afrter thought. You didn't get cool shit from beating a boss, virtually ever. You got some souls. Thats it. You get xp in sekiro in addition to 100% of the time getting upgrades to your character (skill xp, healing, posture, life, and new abilities). You also find that stuff in the environment in sekiro. You can say its only a bunch of items like sugars and crafting materials compared to actual shinobi weapons, but the rate at which you get shinobi weapons isn't going to be vastly less than the applicable gear any one build in souls is going to be able to use in a playthgout so whats the difference? Getting 75% more gear that you can't use is better than getting materials you can use no matter what because there are no build varieties? That makes no sense to me.

If were talking asthetics sure thats a part of why people enjoy those games but no way are they of a similiar motivating factor for picking soulsborne games up-not to the extent of progression is.

Idk what "rigid" playstyle has to do with me refuting extrinsic rewards has to do with the conversation but even then I think its overblown how little creativity this game gives you in defeating enemies. It isn't darksouls levels of variety but that should be apparent before you even pick the game up considering one is an action rpg with various build types and the other is a straight up action game. Is ninja gaiden or the previous DMC games less rewarding to play because you can't play as a melee character and then a mage style? How does this even apply to the people complaining about rewards here but dont play the soulsborne games with multiple builds?

And you replay sekiro because the game changes on subsequent playthroughs including items and available paths being different in addition to new quest paths and endings. Theres a ton of reasoning to replay it. Soulsborne games wished it has this type of NG+

Bertrob

Apr 9, 2018
Haha reading these posts, my god, I'm just realizing I beat Genichiro without using Mikiri. Just forgot it was a thing for that whole fight.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
If you have to constantly repeat the act of memorizing boss moves for every single boss, then how could you even argue that action is "skill" based?

You're skill isn't really increasing if you're constantly dying to bosses who on a fundamental combat level, have far more in common than they do differences. Obviously as you play more you will naturally improve, but the difficulty in this game is like 90% memorizing enemy attack patterns, 10% execution.

I made the comparison with farming souls because it's a similar time sink that you can use to get over hurdles. It seems like almost everyone playing this game is just dying repeatedly on every single boss, and only when they master that encounters attack pattern are they able to continue.

The question is, how much time do you actually need to put into this game to become competent enough to where you don't need to "time dump" bosses and you can use your "skills" to defeat them without perfect pattern recognition?
What...is the fundament of skill to you if not practice? Exclusively abilities that one is born with? Do you think that streamers who cruise through difficult bosses in a fraction of the time that other people do do so because they have experience with other souls games that can be transferred to this one, or because they were blessed by a gnome when they were born? Do you think that the things you learn from struggling on a boss only apply to that boss?

You need to think about what "skill" is.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like Sekiro takes more skill!
Learning these fights is the best part of the game

Uhhh, yea that's a given.

I would argue in a game like this I would be improving over the course of the game, with each boss fight increasing my skill in some type of area that I can use for the next boss.

But that's not how the game functions. Of course, there is enjoyment in learning bosses, but the point of diminishing returns is something that exists.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Did anybody find all the beads? I need 3 more, and as far as I know, I only have to kill

the last boss, and the Demon of Hatred

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Uhhh, yea that's a given.

I would argue in a game like this I would be improving over the course of the game, with each boss fight increasing my skill in some type of area that I can use for the next boss.

But that's not how the game functions. Of course, there is enjoyment in learning bosses, but the point of diminishing returns is something that exists.
That is literally exactly how the game functions.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Just....counter the thrust like you counter every other thrust in the game? A lot of people would like to just help others out, but people who immediately call something awful game design just because they can't grasp the mechanics are annoying as hell.
Probably as much annoying as tracking attacks. This has nothing to do to people wanting to help. But I'm sorry I offended someone by saying this bad design.

And I actually managed to Mikiri the thrust, I need to stand still while pressing B which was kind of hard since I'm always in motion.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone has different issues with different bosses. Additionally, the game is extremely open ended in how you can progress. Area 3 for you isn't necessarily intended area 3, or area 3 for someone else. Both of these together will have a major effect on perceived difficulty at different parts of the game.

Best example is Gyoubu or Lady Butterfly as first boss. I did lady butterfly first, and gyoubu was a push over, which is partly because Lady Butterfly, I believe, is intended to be second major boss, and that due to Gyoubu now being second I had enough time to pick up skills that made the fight much easier than if I just went in without certain skills being available.
It honestly doesn't feel like it. For example, I had a MUCH easier time fighting Lady Butterfly than I did fighting The Drunkard, and I fought Lady Butterfly almost immediately after I fought him. The Drunkard was taking off like 70% of my health with one swing.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017

I've played for 22 hours and am at the last boss. Most bosses take me about an hour to beat, some more, some less. Pattern recognition is part of the genre. The only action games I can think of that don't require it are Batman/AC games but even there it's present in a basic form.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
It honestly doesn't feel like it. For example, I had a MUCH easier time fighting Lady Butterfly than I did fighting The Drunkard, and I fought Lady Butterfly almost immediately after I fought him. The Drunkard was taking off like 70% of my health with one swing.
Case in point—I got Drunkard first try, but Lady Butterfly took me a few.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've played for 22 hours and am at the last boss. Most bosses take me about an hour to beat, some more, some less. Pattern recognition is part of the genre. The only action games I can think of that don't require it are Batman/AC games.

Jesus christ, I'm not saying that recognizing patterns shouldn't be part of the game or are bad.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
STR weapons are my favorite in Dark Souls. When this was announced I was definitely upset that there was only one weapon... but after playing it it is incredibly apparent that the combat mechanics and enemy animations are tailor fit for the katana. You can't just replace it with a great club. This is all very obvious when playing. It's a different game and it's not lesser for not having builds at all, the focus is elsewhere. Like I don't even know how you would bring all of the souls weapons into this combat, I feel like enemies would need totally different animations to work with each one.

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
Yeah there is. Go to the
The Ashina Reservoir, right at the hole where you started the game and you'll find an NPC there.

I can not find a "hole" in Ashina Reservoir. There are a number of enemies and buildings between me and the pike wielding mini-boss though. It's by the Ashina Reservoir sculpture? I thought it was near the beginning of the game, that's not at the beginning?

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I managed to get the
axe and fire prosthetics without dying
and I took down my first mini-boss. I eavesdropped some guys talking about some lug they have chained up but he's afraid of fire so I suspect it will come in handy for my next fight. One thing - what's the best way to determine what unblockable attack is coming? I felt like I was just space dodging and effectively getting lucky. Like, when they do a sweeping attack, I should right there for a counter attack but I am usually far away because of a dodge. Any tips?

Also, I spent my first 3 skill points on the Grapple Hook attack and the Mikiri (?) counter. Do I just have to block traditionally and hit B (Xbox) at the point of attack to counter?

Thanks all, enjoying my time, as aa Bloodborne loyalist.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I can not find a "hole" in Ashina Reservoir. There are a number of enemies and buildings between me and the pike wielding mini-boss though. It's by the Ashina Reservoir sculpture? I thought it was near the beginning of the game, that's not at the beginning?
The Ashina Reservoir is where you started the game. Look for the well that you first began in.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just beat it. Fantastic game. Closer to DS3 than DS1 and Bloodborne in terms of quality. Really enjoyed it.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People are upset they cant make their character pretty and that the game requires you to play by its rules even more than Souls did. Simple as that. Anything people say is beside the point and fluff.

Why even play these games? Lol

Because I enjoy challenges that are rewarding and give satisfaction?

As you've already read, because I've posted it multiple times, I find that Sekiro lacks a degree of reward and satisfaction for the amount of effort and difficulty it presents, mainly because I don't feel I'm really "improving" as the game goes on.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Did anybody find all the beads? I need 3 more, and as far as I know, I only have to kill

the last boss, and the Demon of Hatred
1. There's a miniboss in the room below Isshin's now that you're in the endgame
2. There's a miniboss on the way to Demon of Hatred (Not sure if you've gone down that way yet so I just thought I'd mention it)
3 & 4. Both are from minibosses in the second Hirata Estate visit from the bell given to you by Emma. Said area is optional and if you haven't unlocked it by now then you'll have to get these on NG+
5. In Hirata Estates (The version from the beginning of the game) there's a wall scroll you can press up against to reveal a secret room. Said scroll is near the Lady Butterfly boss fight.
6. In Hirata Castle there's a wall scroll you can press up against to reveal a secret room similarly to the above. It's not far from the antechamber idol, in the room that originally had the two blue samurai and a hole you needed to grapple to. The scroll is between two sets of armor at the back of the room.

BigBluePig

Jul 5, 2018
Trying to beat the stupid pig. Any tips aside from git gud and use the firecracker? Really feeling the lack of mobility in this game

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
but the difficulty in this game is like 90% memorizing enemy attack patterns, 10% execution.
So what your saying is you think the game should be harder? Because if youre criticizing the game for creating a pretense of skill in the player then you'd REALLY hate it if the split wasnt 90% attack pattens and 10% execution.

So do you want parrying to be harder so the game is "actually skillful?" What are you even talking about.

And you replay sekiro because the game changes on subsequent playthroughs including items and available paths being different in addition to new quest paths and endings. Theres a ton of reasoning to replay it. Soulsborne games wished it has this type of NG+
Had no idea about this, that is awesome. This is the type of shit I love and what elevates these games above just an action game.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My issue with the "danger" attack is that between Sekiro himself being in the way of the enemy and the giant red kanji symbol obscuring the enemy, it makes it harder to see what's coming. I would honestly have an easier time if the kanji symbol was situated above the opponent's head.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I managed to get the
axe and fire prosthetics without dying
and I took down my first mini-boss. I eavesdropped some guys talking about some lug they have chained up but he's afraid of fire so I suspect it will come in handy for my next fight. One thing - what's the best way to determine what unblockable attack is coming? I felt like I was just space dodging and effectively getting lucky. Like, when they do a sweeping attack, I should right there for a counter attack but I am usually far away because of a dodge. Any tips?

Also, I spent my first 3 skill points on the Grapple Hook attack and the Mikiri (?) counter. Do I just have to block traditionally and hit B (Xbox) at the point of attack to counter?

Thanks all, enjoying my time, as aa Bloodborne loyalist.
For Miriki, you press the dodge button INTO the attack just like you would while dodging in bloodborne or souls. You can press it right after the unblockable icon shows up, the timing is super generous. If your direction is off a little, you'll dodge to the side instead of performing the counter.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Because I enjoy challenges that are rewarding and give satisfaction?

As you've already read, because I've posted it multiple times, I find that Sekiro lacks a degree of reward and satisfaction for the amount of effort and difficulty it presents, mainly because I don't feel I'm really "improving" as the game goes on.
You don't know what youre talking about.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
Noob alert.
Sorry if it been asked already,
Can I lose an NPC because of the dragon root?

Where to go lol. I have the illusion lady with kunai in the Hirata Estate, one dude in the well and the Ashira temple Upper Tower...

I'm very bad at this game...I'm dying a lot, can you give me some tips

Also, tell me that this game is very difficult even if it's not true. Jesus. Bloodborne now looks like a kid game

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah and my first sentence was 'everyone has different issues with different bosses'. This isn't the first game where someone finds one boss more difficult than another and for someone else the experience is vice versa. I trashed Drunkard but Lady Butterfly took me over 10 tries as I did the 'don't use this item because I will need it later' dance with myself.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
My issue with the "danger" attack is that between Sekiro himself being in the way of the enemy and the giant red kanji symbol obscuring the enemy, it makes it harder to see what's coming. I would honestly have an easier time if the kanji symbol was situated above the opponent's head.

Yeah this is an issue. There is one tall boss I'm thinking of at the end of the game where I couldn't see the warning at first because it was the same color as him. But at the same time his head was often off the screen so I'm not sure where else they could have put it.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, I'm a bit confused. Help would be appreciated from those who have progressed a fair ways into the game.

QJaZSYA.jpg

I've beat blazing bull, and now this door is just...closed? I'm not sure if where to progress from here, if it's intended I'll find my way I just don't understand why it's closed now when it was open before and I beat the boss.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
How does this lightning reversal work? The game tells me to press RB in the air after getting hit by a lightning. So am I supposed to jump before a lightning strikes, get hit (take damage?) and than press RB while mid-air?

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
First completed run took 8.2 hours. I'm looking forward to getting the other endings with ng+. Hopefully I don't hit any walls on my way through

Status
Not open for further replies.