• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
The end boss is absolutely brutal. I'm struggling against this asshole. I have enough for today, I'll try again tomorrow

Lots of people will reach that point and never finish the game, this fight demands perfection and flawless execution. Hardest boss From has ever put out, Kos is a joke in comparison imo
Yeah it's insane. I can reliably get through the first two phases no problem but the third kicks my ass every time. I know i'm gonna have to throw myself at it another hundred times until i've learned the attack patterns.

Hesitation is defeat.......

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This game is too fucking hard. Been playing since Friday and can't beat any of the mini bosses I've encountered so far (or just regular bosses? I don't know, the ones with two red dots).

Is it my timing, am I doing something wrong or what. I'm trying to parry as well as I can, but it just takes like one or two hit from them and I'm dead, whereas they take like a hundred.

Yeah, they can be really tough. One thing you should do if you haven't already is obviously clear out any nearby enemies and get a stealth deathblow on the miniboss. Pretty much all of them are open to this and only having to take down one red dot is helpful.

Also once you get the firecracker prosthetic tool things get easier. It's a good way to stun the enemy to reset your posture or get extra hits in.

Oct 26, 2017
I just killed him by dodging back. Good to know though. That threw me off. Can grabs be jumped and jump kicked?
Some grabs its better to jump, some its better to dodge. Most important thing is that jumping is your main dodge tool, unless your goal is dodge->counterhit.
Whilst jumping you can attack/block/go further/charge arts/use tools etc.

There are times when the dodge seems to have invincibility and times where it doesn't. It might just be hard coded to only be invincible against certain attacks and not others. It's stuff like this that is throwing people off. That and when it is your turn to attack after a parry.
I dont think it has any, it just looks like it does sometimes cause sekiro crouchess. Slows these gifs down and you can see its just cause he moves under/to the side, but would look like iframes if you didnt realize this. Similarly you can use combat arts to dodge underattacks.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
Finally took down the Ogre and I've been stuck at the General mini-boss now for hours too. Finding it pretty frustrating I can just sit down for the evening to play and spend hours making zero progress.

Really not enjoying the game right now which is a shame.

Make use of the sparring partner at the dilapidated temple. Spend time strictly practicing parrying. Dont be greedy with your hits. Get what you can but always be ready for the return fire to parry instead of quickly pressing attack in succession. One thing that made the game alot better for me was moving attack and block/deflect to the triggers instead of L1 and R1.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any tips for this boss

Guardian Ape has a relatively fair first form but the second form is ridiculous. Any time an attack string is done and I try to counter it he starts the instant death roar. Like there seems to be no reward for contending with its attacks because it'll just unleash that thing. Also, none of my shinobi tools seem to work on it.
The Umbrella works fine against the roar lol. At least the first upgrade, didn't try the base version.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Harder than soloing Friede? She was insane.

Easily. I'm not joking when I say this boss is hell. You'll need to execute everything perfectly over a long period of time. That's the problem lol

There are probably people that had few problems too, so don't take my experience so far as gospel

It's an amazing fight overall, takes a lot of time to practice

Majin Boo

Oct 26, 2017
Managed to beat the final boss and it took me forever. Pretty sure he is my favorite soulsborne boss now, he is so well designed, no cheap moves at all, and everything it takes is practice and knowing the right strategy for each of his attacks.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Fucking hold me gang...

I just managed to whiff the first stealth kill on Seven Spears McCunterson and STILL killed him with only three gourds used and straight up boss level deflection for TWO FUCKING ROUNDS. I only threw fire crackers once somehow.

If anyone is doubting their skills, if I can learn this shit to this degree after wanting to rage-sell it two days ago, please don't stop.

Jul 20, 2018
Okay, a couple of questions if people wouldn't mind helping out:

1. A guy told me about following the pink smoke at the castle. I did this, but I don't really understand what I should be finding, I can't tell where the end of the trail actually is? I have a letter about the Nightjar Beacon, it says these guide you to the Nightjar? I know everone keeps mentioning a Nightjar slash, is this related? How do you get that attack?
2. I did find a note as I was following the trail called "Isshin's Letter", saying that Emma might know his current whereabouts, but nothing triggers when I talk to Emma. Is there something I should do with this letter?
3. Lastly, I have the Herb Catalogue Scrap, which mentions something about snap seeds and the serpent, what exactly should I do regarding this?

Yeah that was dumb because the smoke signals lead everywhere lol. He's in the tower directly to the right of the window you go out of. You'll notice there's an opening up there. You may have even come through that tower on the way to the boss (like I did), but he wasn't in there yet.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I beat the Ape Couple. Then I activated the sculptur and went back to the starting area to finish off some business. Now when I tried to teleport back to the arena where I fought the ape couple, I couldn't, so I teleported to the closest sculptur, went down there, and now there is a mini boss there!? Is this mandatory?

Anyone?

Oct 25, 2017
Finally took down the Ogre and I've been stuck at the General mini-boss now for hours too. Finding it pretty frustrating I can just sit down for the evening to play and spend hours making zero progress.

Really not enjoying the game right now which is a shame.

You can just stealth through that area and come back later if he's proving that difficult. I went on and killed the boss of the area before going back to him.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Am I crazy or does this boss actually have a unique attack animation that triggers every time you use a healing gourd. Basically saying "Nope your not healing in this phase".
Isshin first phase "Shura Ending" and Isshin first phase "Immortal Severance & Return Ending"

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think it has any, it just looks like it does sometimes cause sekiro crouchess. Slows these gifs down and you can see its just cause he moves under/to the side, but would look like iframes if you didnt realize this. Similarly you can use combat arts to dodge underattacks.
So he has upper body invincibility? That would explain why you can't dodge through sweeps that are low to the ground.

There have been times where I have been able to dodge through gun shots though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
See I dont understand this. I absolutely love BB. Its my favorite game ever, but the fact of the matter is, your weapon of choice never really mattered in Souls games due to how the mechanics worked. It didnt matter if you were using a Saw Cleaver or a Kirkhammer the combat still boiled down to circle strafing, iframing through a couple of attacks and rinse repeat. As cool as transform attacks were they didnt change the dynamic of combat in anyway. With 1 weapon in Sekiro we can do basically everything we could do in Souls and way more, combat mechanics wise.

Now if your main complaint is your character's aesthetic variability, sure.

See, I honestly feel like this game is very, very restrictive in terms of how it wants you to play it. It has a very specific, very strict set of rules and if you don't want to (or can't) follow them, you die. There is no real flexibility or freedom, it's just...play it on their terms.

Bloodborne and Souls allow you way more flexibility by way of how you solve problems, whereas almost every single fight in Sekiro boils down to "you better be really really good at parrying". Now you could say that it's a more DISTILLED version of the format, and I'd agree with that, but I also think the utterly singular focus works against it in some ways.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fucking hold me gang...

I just managed to whiff the first stealth kill on Seven Spears McCunterson and STILL killed him with only three gourds used and straight up boss level deflection for TWO FUCKING ROUNDS. I only threw fire crackers once somehow.

If anyone is doubting their skills, if I can learn this shit to this degree after wanting to rage-sell it two days ago, please don't stop.
giphy.gif

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol, are you talking about Genichiro? I beat him on my third try last night. Was kinda shocked by how easy it was.

I'm not even good at these games. I've only beaten Dark Souls 1, and that was with summoning on almost every boss. I played Ninja Gaiden on Ninja Dog difficulty. You guys are missing something, clearly. The game is not that hard.

Any tips against that dude?
I've been trying to fight against him for an hour, I'm having a blast but I'm open for words of wisdom.

Oct 28, 2017
Anybody got any tips for the boss below?
Owl

I'm only a few tries in, but I can already tell this guy is a fuck.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I discovered the corrupted monk like two days ago.
I just had my first legit attempt at him.
Well, I'm done for the day, I'll come back to this fucker tomorrow :P

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
HOLY FUCK IM SO MAD RIGHT NOW

Fighting butterfly lady for 3 hours. Finally, FINALLY get past her second bar and get the second death blow with ONE HP left. I'm super pumped and reach for my keyboard to press my shadowplay hotkey because it was so close... not knowing I need to do a "final deathblow". You can guess what happens next.

God damnit.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
I can't fight any of the bosses I have encountered.
Dude on horse and the drunk guy
Some reason this game I can't remember names at all.

Also before the cave to see the
drunkard
there is a bamboo forest, anything worth it? I kept getting wrecked by two dudes with spears (mikiri counter pleasee why).

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have the Old Grave idol unlocked? It's in Ashina Castle. Just go down to the left, there should be a roof with a hole in it. There's one of those small rat dudes hanging around in there with a black hat. He's friendly, don't attack him. He sells it to you.

Completely missed this area. Thanks!

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Just completely stuck on third phase Genichiro. Beginning to realise that not only are my runs dependant on the RNG of his tracking arrow shots just catching you, but also the fucking awful framerate of the third phase on base PS4 completely throwing my rhythm off.

In many ways this game is some of FROM's best, but the difficulty curve and blockades are their absolute worst they've ever made. The sheer cheapness of some encounters is flatout not enjoyable. You're playing against a fruit machine at times with how certain characters just bust out no wind up one hit kills.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This gif has me more excited as a reward than the lame prayer bead and $100 :/

I feel like every time I sleep and return, I've gained like +10 Insight and suddenly do crazy skilled shit I didn't know I had in me. I mowed down the blue guards in the castle in like 10 seconds each somehow farming just now...what is happening!?
Lol, you'll apprechiate that additional health and posture later on though. Also for me, beating these assholes has always been the most rewarding part.

Mikiri counter reks those blue guards real good. I find those really fun to fight in general, and they area good example of how much better the core combat is. No base mob in BB was as much fun as these dudes. And getting better at mowing them down feels rewarding too, doesn't it? :P

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I can't fight any of the bosses I have encountered.
Dude on horse and the drunk guy
Some reason this game I can't remember names at all.

Also before the cave to see the
drunkard
there is a bamboo forest, anything worth it? I kept getting wrecked by two dudes with spears (mikiri counter pleasee why).

Bamboo forest leads to a story-critical item. You won't be able to finish that area without going all the way to the end of the bamboo path.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking hold me gang...

That's what I needed, I rage quitted on him last night.

I'm going to fuck him up now.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just completely stuck on third phase Genichiro. Beginning to realise that not only are my runs dependant on the RNG of his tracking arrow shots just catching you, but also the fucking awful framerate of the third phase on base PS4 completely throwing my rhythm off.

In many ways this game is some of FROM's best, but the sheer cheapness of some encounters is not enjoyable. You're playing against a fruit machine at times with how certain characters just bust out no wind up one hit kills.
The best way to fight him is to
redirect the lightning back at his stupid face. When you see him doing a lightning attack jump straight up and let it hit you (you'll take reduced damage), then hit attack before you land to send the lightning right back into his stupid face.

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
I've been trying to fight against him for an hour, I'm having a blast but I'm open for words of wisdom.

Always stay on his ass. Never let him use his bow. Attack, attack, attack until he deflects -> deflect, rinse and repeat.

1. Health bar, he only uses thrust as a signature move. Use mikri to counter.

2. Health bar, he uses only sweep. Jump on his head.

3. Health bar, always stay near him. If he jumps up, use jump + sidestep. Mikri his lunging thrust attack.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

In many ways this game is some of FROM's best, but the difficulty curve and blockades are their absolute worst they've ever made. The sheer cheapness of some encounters is flatout not enjoyable. You're playing against a fruit machine at times with how certain characters just bust out no wind up one hit kills.

Stay close to him, and jump to the left whenever you see him crackle with lightning. His arrow and downward lightning slash have very narrow hitboxes, and his lightning sweep is avoidable by just jumping over it.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fucking hold me gang...

These are the best posts. Nice work. I wish more people took this mentality.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Be aggressive B E Aggressive

Honestly you're just gonna have to learn his combos and get the parry timing down. We're talking like getting 3 to 4 parries in a row, getting a strike in, hitting again that gets deflected, then following up with another parry of his counter attack, followed by another hit of your own.

You literally will be repeating patterns like that the entire fight, it was the only way I was capable of keeping his posture meter filled, but it took hours and hours to learn his move set to get to the point where the first faze no longer took healing and I could get through it in a few minutes.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
You want to be very aggresive. He can be staggered quite fast. You can hit him out of his quick bow jump. Parry everything else. When he does the "flurry" attack, just parry everything and for the last hit, wait a split second and dodge right, that way your stagger won't be broken and you have a few free hits instead of the long "block" animation. Jumping > dodging in this game for most unblockables. If you have the Nightjar Reversal (best attack move in the game imo), you can close the gap quite easily too. Miri-Counter his obvious fly-attack. Parry or at least block his bow stuff... DO NOT DODGE IT. Bow beats dodge for some weird fucking reason.

The key is really to not stand idle in front of him and parry air. Keep attacking and parry when you have to. Stay aggressive.

His 3rd life is the easiest. Just jump when he does anything lightning and use the lightning counter move, you learn from the dojo mini-boss (if you haven't beat him yet, there is a tactic that works 100% and everyone can do it),

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just come back from a string of holidays and as such missed out on the games launch. How is it guys/gals? Worth the full retail price and buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.