• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 51797

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I'm six hours in and I'm not having fun. The game has the best feeling combat and traversal mechanics - but it's just too hard. After I finally beat the Ogre there's immediately another boss awaiting me, ready for me to die on for another 10+ times. After that, it's a fucking instakilling enemy again that prevents me from going forward. I try another route, just to find another enemy type that is capable of near-instakills. This game really kills every sense of progression.

Oct 25, 2017
OMG that moment when you realize Issihin is totally
The Tengu you meet just after Gyoubu.
This game is fucking sick and so is he...in more ways that one lol.

Yes. And when he see it's implies how he laid w
all that talk about reward, wasting the time, etc...it is...embarrasing.

this game is pure zen, it puts you in the zone, in the matrix, call it whatever and it is just you and your enemy. your reward is getting better to defeat those enemies.

highly ridiculous to see so many "enthusiasts" getting worked over a challenge. get a grip folks, if the game is too hard, practice till you get better, as easy as it is. i predicted since the reveal that this will be on another level than your stats fed and summoning supported Souls games.

this game exposes so many people that thought of themselves as good gamers, that is the problem. it is like a mirror of your own skill and patience. who cares if you do a boss 100 times, you will beat him with practice. this is no fast food game, this is a game which needs dedication and i am happy that there even is such a game in this shitty GaaS and autopiloted gaming world.

This is my take as well. People aren't having fun because they cant/arent willing to spend the time to learn the mechanics.

I'm getting my ass kicked and have died so many times. However, it just pumps me up for how much better I need to be/can get.

I keep this mind: Miyazaki himself said he is no good at character action games and he beat Sekiro.

And to think people were questioning whether or not this game would be too easy lol.

I have a feeling Hollow Knight 2 is gonna end up the same way especially with the added maneuverability.

Yall better get ready

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018

this game is pure zen, it puts you in the zone, in the matrix, call it whatever and it is just you and your enemy. your reward is getting better to defeat those enemies.

highly ridiculous to see so many "enthusiasts" getting worked over a challenge. get a grip folks, if the game is too hard, practice till you get better, as easy as it is. i predicted since the reveal that this will be on another level than your stats fed and summoning supported Souls games.

this game exposes so many people that thought of themselves as good gamers, that is the problem. it is like a mirror of your own skill and patience. who cares if you do a boss 100 times, you will beat him with practice. this is no fast food game, this is a game which needs dedication and i am happy that there even is such a game in this shitty GaaS and autopiloted gaming world.

Some people just have different things they look for in games. For me, this game is not the right fit and doesn't deliver the same experience that I found so addictive and rewarding in previous entries from the studio.

Some like you will have a different experience and that's cool too. I think the game has objective issues (as have previous titles), but that's not why I quit. it's that the parts didn't add up to a satisfying whole for me and I've got a backlog that is far more embarrassing than my inability to overcome a legitimately tough game. I'm quite happy to admit this game bested my skill and my patience.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
G.A. down after 25 tries! phew had my heart puuuumping. Great boss fight.

I can't even fathom, 50 tries and rage quitting on that boss? He barely tickles your posture and lets you heal for free.

You'd have to be dodging into his attacks repeatedly or something? Literally spam R1 when he's not attacking and spam L1 when he is.

Yeah I dont understand it. Its so clear to me that all these people cant deal with the slightly upped difficulty and different mechanics than theyre used to. And so you get posts about how the game isnt "rewarding" enough when before in Souls everyone would tell you the reward was winning itself. It's quite hilarious IMO, but hey its their opinion.

This game has better combat and exploration than of the Souls games. Just because I cant find Uchigatana 5 behind some rocks its somehow less rewarding lol.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Posts like this are why people don't like "gamers"

People have lives, people want to enjoy games. Of course people want a challenge, but when the challenge isn't rewarding then all you have is frustration.

If someone isn't enjoying the gameplay loop because the end result lacks satisfaction, for what ever reason, then the challenge is no longer worth the reward.

"who cares if you have to do a boss 100 times". People who have responsibilities and don't have time to be "perfect" on any given boss or mini-boss encounter.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
How do I dodge Snake Eyes grab move with the point blank gunshot? That fucking this destroys my health.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I dont understand it. Its so clear to me that all these people cant deal with the slightly upped difficulty and different mechanics than theyre used to. And so you get posts about how the game isnt "rewarding" enough when before in Souls everyone would tell you the reward was winning itself. It's quite hilarious IMO, but hey its their opinion.

Nah, part of the appeal of Souls was that you had crazy bosses and after beating them not only did you get satisfaction of winning, but you ALSO got cool weapons and gear. It added an extra level of satisfaction to beating a really difficult fight.

Sekiro is definitely missing that kind of "I went out of my way checking for a way up to this really weirdly placed item spark and I got something super cool out of it" reward system - you almost always get candy or other consumables you won't use very often, and it does kind of devalue the effort you put into exploring, especially since the exploring isn't exactly that hard.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018

It's hilarious seeing people talk about how they platinum "SoulsBourne game" so that makes them uniquely qualified to say when a boss is bullshit.

At least a few soulsbourne git gud elitist will be humbled but them again the Seikro elitist will be a new breed.......

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

People have lives, people want to enjoy games. Of course people want a challenge, but when the challenge isn't rewarding then all you have is frustration.

If someone isn't enjoying the gameplay loop because the end result lacks satisfaction, for what ever reason, then the challenge is no longer worth the reward.

"who cares if you have to do a boss 100 times". People who have responsibilities and don't have time to be "perfect" on any given boss or mini-boss encounter.

to be fair you have to have a very high iq

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
God the final boss is insane. Not sure I have the energy to throw myself at him for hours on end to beat him.

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
OK, so midgame progression question:

There's no real boss encounter after Robert's armourclad father in Senpou Temple until I beat Ashina on the top of the roofs?

Also, can anyone help me understand how to practice for his lightning stage? I reach it too infrequently to get good at it yet. Though maybe I should just get perfect at his first stage, first.

I'm loving this game so much, the combat is clicking for me like nothing else. And with all of these midbosses, it's a goddamn feast. Absolutely sublime game. It's missing the thematic foundations of the Soulsborne series but goddamn if this doesn't have the best gameplay I've ever played. I love how it feels like it starts at the end of a normal game's difficulty curve, like it's some kind of remixquel. Hotline Miami 2 had this quality too, and it makes these games feel so dangerous, like they can go anywhere, they're not afraid to break rules that previous games adhered to slavishly. I love it.

Deleted member 47076

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
This is my take as well. People aren't having fun because they cant/arent willing to spend the time to learn the mechanics.

I'm getting my ass kicked and have died so many times. However, it just pumps me up for how much better I need to be/can get.

I keep this mind: Miyazaki himself said he is no good at character action games and he beat Sekiro.

And to think people were questioning whether or not this game would be too easy lol.

I have a feeling Hollow Knight 2 is gonna end up the same way especially with the added maneuverability.

Yall better get ready

Not just time, but a patient and efficient approach to winning as well. A lot of people are hitting their heads against the wall, sometimes fighting the same boss for hours at a time, when really they should go somewhere else in the game and come back later with upgrades and better skills.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017

Nah, it's embarrassing to see all these people that once thought of themselves as "good gamers" who now dislike this masterpiece because it's shown them to be unworthy of ever thinking they were good at video games./s

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Beat the final boss and well that was an amazing fight that really tested your skills, amazing how much I improved by doing that fight.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Does the temple area have a big boss? I've faced the armored guardian and Voldo, found the skill tree but no path to a boss, or I missed it. This area is huge!

Voldo was a weird boss for me. I died 3 times in mere moments, than the try after that I just figured it out and got him in a minute. Once you figure out what to do he's actually super easy.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Phoa that boss was definitely tough. Took me a good two and a half hours trying before finally getting it. My hands were shaking. First time really experiencing that.

Sounds like Orphan of Kos levels of satisfaction. Oh boy...

So having watched some videos today of others playing...I realized something that hopefully others have said in this thread
Do people just not realize you gain back posture faster by blocking (without being hit)

Wait - one does?! Blocking recovers it faster? I'm learning a lot today.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Gods, I love this game. I still prefer Bloodborne at the moment just for the sheer orchestral soundtrack that it has, but gameplay wise this is probably From's best work.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Something I love about this game is the back and forth against bosses and minibosses. One minute you're pressing the advantage, going ham, parrying everything in a zen like state and then a miss calculation makes you lose your groove and now your back is against the wall and your opponent has regained its posture.

It really makes the case for having a separate health and posture bars. It completely changed the ebb and flow of battle. The steel on steel in this game is peerless.

Deleted member 51797

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
For me personally it's a matter of just not being good enough and the fact that I never enjoyed 'training' in a game just for the sake of getting better at it. I struggled during BloodBorne and I was never to proud to summon help if I felt like it. I naively thought this would have a similar system - it's on me that I didn't read well enough.

Anyway, the reward in the form of a new area to explore and find cool stuff that I so admired and loved from Souls and Bloodborne isn't really here so far. It's jus boss after miniboss after miniboss which I do not really find an enjoyable loop.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Do unused Prayer Beads and Memory carry over to NG+?

I'm playing heavily nerfed due to liking a challenge but I'd like to know If I should use it before moving on to ng+.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it's embarrassing to see all these people that once thought of themselves as "good gamers" who now dislike this masterpiece because it's shown them to be unworthy of ever thinking they were good at video games./s
But no one has said they consider themselves good gamers? The only people assuming that are assholes like Dphex.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Im having trouble with the boss at mibu village. Should i be using the fushigiri combat art? What am I doing wrong,please give me some tips

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What's the deal with the "fog" area

If it's story spoilers don't tell me, is there a specific reason why some of the ghosts aren't attacking?

Jul 20, 2018
Do the thing the game is teaching you lol?

It's pretty much the only way to beat him. People don't struggle with him for the strategy, they struggle with the timing.

You can actually bait out his attacks by moving towards him them dodging. I'm not exactly sure how it works (it seems like he always attacks when you get in a certain range), but I was able to always get it so he'd attack just as I dodged, giving me a free counter attack every time. He has very little HP too, so this takes him out pretty quickly, just not quite as quickly as parrying.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There are times when the dodge seems to have invincibility and times where it doesn't. It might just be hard coded to only be invincible against certain attacks and not others. It's stuff like this that is throwing people off. That and when it is your turn to attack after a parry.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Showed up after work Friday. By the time I went to bed Sunday I had 24 hours in the game. I have not gamed that hard in a long time.

I didn't even feel like I had a weekend it went by as quickly as it started.

This game is a real treat though!

Tirisfal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
After dying countless times last night, and a little bit more after work today... Genichiro Ashina has been beaten. What a fantastic fucking battle, seriously. Absolutely incredible.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My current travel points are Senpou (whatever the rouge temple is called), Upper level Ashina, and the Forgotten Dungeon. I beat Lady Butterfly and I think I've cleared out the Estate (got the Pagoda treasure, anyway).

I suspect upper Ashina leads to the little lord and maybe some kind of world state change? Are any of these areas optional? Where should I prioritize?

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
For me personally it's a matter of just not being good enough and the fact that I never enjoyed 'training' in a game just for the sake of getting better at it. I struggled during BloodBorne and I was never to proud to summon help if I felt like it. I naively thought this would have a similar system - it's on me that I didn't read well enough.

Anyway, the reward in the form of a new area to explore and find cool stuff that I so admired and loved from Souls and Bloodborne isn't really here so far. It's jus boss after miniboss after miniboss which I do not really find an enjoyable loop.

Keep playing and youll get what you want.

There are times when the dodge seems to have invincibility and times where it doesn't. It might just be hard coded to only be invincible against certain attacks and not others. It's stuff like this that is throwing people off. That and when it is your turn to attack after a parry.
I highly, highly doubt that's true. The dodge in this has much less I-frames than Souls games where you could spam them to get out of danger. Here, if your dodge isnt perfectly timed youll get clipped dude to reduced I-frames and higher recovery.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some people just have different things they look for in games. For me, this game is not the right fit and doesn't deliver the same experience that I found so addictive and rewarding in previous entries from the studio.
But what is it exactly? I hear this all the time but noone can explain to me what they mean? What is so much more rewarding in the other games? I just don't see it.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone give me an idea how close I am to the end?
I just got past the giant carp fish underwater
Also is there a point of no return or will I get a good notice when the game is ending to finish things up?

Deleted member 51797

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I think it also has to do that nothing about this game is relaxing to me. It requires you to be at the edge of your seat constantly, never letting your guard down or get distracted by something in the real world. I feel like I need to relax and read a book after a session of this game - something I again didn't have with BB.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Keep playing and youll get what you want.

I highly, highly doubt that's true. The dodge in this has much less I-frames than Souls games where you could spam them to get out of danger. Here, if your dodge isnt perfectly timed youll get clipped dude to reduced I-frames and higher recovery.
Against attacks that you are supposed to side dodge, it seems fairly generous. But against attacks that you aren't you could perfectly time it and still get hit. Like I have never been able to dodge "through" sweep attacks so if there were invincibility frames you should still be able to do it.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Can anyone give me an idea how close I am to the end?
I just got past the giant carp fish underwater
Also is there a point of no return or will I get a good notice when the game is ending to finish things up?

Your pretty close. Yes you can even roll credits and freely explore after if you want.

PhoenixDawn

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Definitely. I really like how the main way to avoid damage in this game seems to be to physically react and move yourself out of the way. So if they are swinging low, jump over their strike, if they're stabbing/lunging then dash to counter or get around them. I'm finding that a lot more intuitive (even though it's a little harder to master) than just rolling and using your 13 frames of invincibility without caring about what attack the enemy used. It feels like you're actually stuck in a struggle with the enemy, especially with the posture system.

Status
Not open for further replies.