• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Well after fifty tries at the Ashina Castle boss, it's over: I deleted the game, I deleted the save file (just to be on the safe side) and I shan't go back.

I appreciate FROM we're ready to move in a new direction and admire thier uncompromising approach, but the thing with that stance is that eventually something has to give and in this case it was my patience.

FROM games have always been difficult but ultimately rewarding - Sekiro is more challenging than ever, but somehow less rewarding, at least to me: controller launching frustration is only really merited if it's married with that sweet rush of pure catharsis.

For me, it doesn't quite deliver. I tried, I definitely got to grips with what the game was pushing, but was ultimately left feeling hollow. The great shame is that FROM games have thus lost thier insta-buy quality for me and and my most reliable developer joins that ever-expanding 'wait for impressions' catchment.

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
Took down the bull last night. Really enjoying my time with the game so far. I find the posture system really engaging and, despite worrying it might be too tough for me, I haven't gotten well and truly stumped...yet. I'm sure there are some real jerks to come.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
so im at the first boss and I'm still confused by the objective of combat. Am I supposed to just take her health down to zero and not worry about her yellow bar? Should I try to max out the yellow bar? The yellow bar doesnt seem to move whatsoever

There's basically two ways to win fights. One is their straight HP being depleted, the other is the posture bar filling. The lower their health, the slower posture recovers, so it starts to get easier and easier to rack up posture damage.

If the bar recovers super quickly, try to focus on quick attacks or dodging strikes to punish them and hurt them directly, then as they get lower take more challenges they have to block, parry their moves, etc. and don't let the meter recover.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
so im at the first boss and I'm still confused by the objective of combat. Am I supposed to just take her health down to zero and not worry about her yellow bar? Should I try to max out the yellow bar? The yellow bar doesnt seem to move whatsoever
The yellow bar is posture and increases for the enemy when they block your attacks, you directly hit them or you parry theirs If it's full you can deathblow them. This works the other way around as well though, if you just block attacks yours fills and if it's full you get stunned.

If health is at 0 you can deathblow them as well, though in most cases this takes longer than the yellow bar, if you do it right that is. The lower the enemie's or your health is, the slower the respective yellow bar regenerates, which means it's always beneficial to you to not be in combat at low health and to get their health lower, even if it's not the main goal most of the time.

Small tip: holding block regenerates your yellow bar quicker.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I was going to beat this today and then I reached the final boss...this shit is hard as hell. Anyone have any tips besides the obvious (get better at parrying his attacks!)

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Snake Eyes down! This game is getting harder and harder lmao, i hope it doesn't break me as many others here.

edit just tried to cross the bridge after mentioned boss.. oof. It's a warfare! For good or for bad at times this game is so close to NGII.

Last edited:

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
one key to getting good is using your consumables...in previous Souls games outside of Estus, Humanity etc you could get by without them for the most part...with Sekiro the consumables like extra damage, extra vitality etc are crucial...also those advanced Shinobi Skill moves can be lifesavers (although some are tricky to pull off with kb/m in a fast paced fight)...also read all the instructions the game gives you...unlike previous Souls titles the game gives you a ton of on-screen tutorials...read them all and understand how to use them...practice combat moves with the dead guy in the main hub area

even low level enemies gang up on you and chase you down forever...I started to run away from a mob all the way to the other side of the area I was in and they were a few steps behind me the whole way

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Not that far into the game, difficulty doesn't seem as bad as people were saying but it's definitely hard. I've been more worried about some From Software bullshit happening, like a Yurt situation or something. Every new NPC or mechanic I'm side eyeing, questioning if there's going to be some shenanigans.

Ogre wasn't bad, Horse guy was even easier, haven't beaten Butterfly yet but she doesn't seem that bad.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There's basically two ways to win fights. One is their straight HP being depleted, the other is the posture bar filling. The lower their health, the slower posture recovers, so it starts to get easier and easier to rack up posture damage.

If the bar recovers super quickly, try to focus on quick attacks or dodging strikes to punish them and hurt them directly, then as they get lower take more challenges they have to block, parry their moves, etc. and don't let the meter recover.
The yellow bar is posture and increases for the enemy when they block your attacks, you directly hit them or you parry theirs If it's full you can deathblow them. This works the other way around as well though, if you just block attacks yours fills and if it's full you get stunned.

If health is at 0 you can deathblow them as well, though in most cases this takes longer than the yellow bar, if you do it right that is. The lower the enemie's or your health is, the slower the respective yellow bar regenerates, which means it's always beneficial to you to not be in combat at low health and to get their health lower, even if it's not the main goal most of the time.

Small tip: holding block regenerates your yellow bar quicker.
Thanks for the explanation guys. Think Im playing way too defensively then. Still trying to dark souls it

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well after fifty tries at the Ashina Castle boss, it's over: I deleted the game, I deleted the save file (just to be on the safe side) and I shan't go back.

I appreciate FROM we're ready to move in a new direction and admire thier uncompromising approach, but the thing with that stance is that eventually something has to give and in this case it was my patience.

FROM games have always been difficult but ultimately rewarding - Sekiro is more challenging than ever, but somehow less rewarding, at least to me: controller launching frustration is only really merited if it's married with that sweet rush of pure catharsis.

For me, it doesn't quite deliver. I tried, I definitely got to grips with what the game was pushing, but was ultimately left feeling hollow. The great shame is that FROM games have thus lost thier insta-buy quality for me and and my most reliable developer joins that ever-expanding 'wait for impressions' catchment.

Damn, respect that you're not torturing yourself like I am.

I absolutely agree, there is a fundamental lack of "reward" for progression through this game and it's really hampering my enjoyment

metaprogram

Oct 28, 2017
Finally beat Genichiro after using the ultimate cheese strategy. The second phase isn't too bad, I was just losing way too much health on the first phase. Luckily the cheese method makes it super easy.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the explanation guys. Think Im playing way too defensively then. Still trying to dark souls it

Playing too defensively at the beginning of fights can be bad because many enemies will quickly regenerate posture unless they've got suffiencient health damage. Once the background of their posture bar turns red that means their posture recovery has been impaired. Hope this helps!

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

That's a shame, Genichiro took me a lot of time, too. It's on the same level as the Orphan for me, but I had fun while trying, maybe that's the difference. I think it's one of the best bossfights ever created tbh. I was constantly in his face to not let him get out his bow that often.
Yeah you really shouldn't do that haha. Try to find openings after their attack strings, parry their stuff, always be in their face except when you need to heal or recover your posture. Recovering posture also gets easier the lower their health and the higher yours is, because yours regenerates faster than theirs then. Just get out for 2 secs, hold block and go in again when healthy.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Playing too defensively at the beginning of fights can be bad because many enemies will quickly regenerate posture unless they've got suffiencient health damage. Once the background of their posture bar turns red that means their posture recovery has been impaired. Hope this helps!
Yeah, the lower their health the more breathing room you have without having to worry about them losing all the posture buildup again. Took me a while to know when it's better to retreat and when to go all in. Sometimes going all in with an almost full posture meter is thrilling though lol.

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
So having watched some videos today of others playing...I realized something that hopefully others have said in this thread
Do people just not realize you gain back posture faster by blocking (without being hit)

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
So having watched some videos today of others playing...I realized something that hopefully others have said in this thread
Do people just not realize you gain back posture faster by blocking (without being hit)

Took me a while to learn that, probably until my 5th or 6th boss. It's that Souls remnant that made me think blocking = slow recovery.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Damn, respect that you're not torturing yourself like I am.

I absolutely agree, there is a fundamental lack of "reward" for progression through this game and it's really hampering my enjoyment
I don't get it tbh. What was the reward in the older games? Being able to pump up numbers in a stats screen?
I'd rather have different skills in a skilltree tbh.

Was it new weapons? Because most of the time when I found a weapon in Souls I either couldn't use it because I specced the other way, or it was useless. Like, every 10th weapon or so I found was actually interesting. Bloodborne was better in that regard, but still, if I did a strenght build and found the burial blade, it was absolutely useless to me.

No matter what I find in Sekiro it's useful. The tool upgrades provide even some different gameplay implications at times, they are meaningful enough to me. Certainly more than any of the arcane items in Bloodborne.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! Time to grind some Sen to buy that Umbrella!
Also (hope no one has posted this yet)
dtij7ne1r8o21.jpg
I feel personally attacked.
yeah doesnt it double your strike damage... ?

Matt_

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ
after HOURS and probably 70/80+ tries (if not more) I finally defeated Lady Butterfly and nearly fucked it up as I there was a second bit to the death blow so she recovered and summoned some weird dudes again
Really fun fight, finally taught me to deflect which I've never been good at in any souls game

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Should you use the Dragon's droplet immediately if more than a handful people are suffering from Dragon Rot? How does one acquire it again after using it once ?

Oct 29, 2017
Australia

lol, are you talking about Genichiro? I beat him on my third try last night. Was kinda shocked by how easy it was.

I'm not even good at these games. I've only beaten Dark Souls 1, and that was with summoning on almost every boss. I played Ninja Gaiden on Ninja Dog difficulty. You guys are missing something, clearly. The game is not that hard.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Wait wat. Why on earth would that be a thing lol, a whole area?
I've seen this in a few different games like
Far Cry 5 and Persona 5

The reason why, at least in those games, is because you basically reached a critical endpoint. If you take the easy way out, you'll get an ending. It may or may not feel fully satisfactory.

That's my take for other games. No idea bout this one I'm stuck on a hard boss right now

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
lol, are you talking about Genichiro? I beat him on my third try last night. Was kinda shocked by how easy it was.

I'm not even good at these games. I've only beaten Dark Souls 1, and that was with summoning on almost every boss. I play Ninja Gaiden in Ninja Dog difficulty. You guys are missing something, clearly. The game is not that hard.
This post is funny lol. Theyre probably just psyching themselves out. There are a few crazy bosses but that one is completely manageable.

Clocian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 23, 2018
quick question on which route I should take first. Hidden forest or Sunken Valley?

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I don't get it tbh. What was the reward in the older games? Being able to pump up numbers in a stats screen?
I'd rather have different skills in a skilltree tbh.

Was it new weapons? Because most of the time when I found a weapon in Souls I either couldn't use it because I specced the other way, or it was useless. Like, every 10th weapon or so I found was actually interesting. Bloodborne was better in that regard, but still, if I did a strenght build and found the burial blade, it was absolutely useless to me.

No matter what I find in Sekiro it's useful. The tool upgrades provide even some different gameplay implications at times, they are meaningful enough to me. Certainly more than any of the arcane items in Bloodborne.

I can't really explain it but I kinda feel the same way. I have no desire to get past where I am at because I have no desire to see what is next. I am not even far at all but it is just annoying me to the point of quitting instead of inspiring me to the point of improvement.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
all that talk about reward, wasting the time, etc...it is...embarrasing.

this game is pure zen, it puts you in the zone, in the matrix, call it whatever and it is just you and your enemy. your reward is getting better to defeat those enemies.

highly ridiculous to see so many "enthusiasts" getting worked over a challenge. get a grip folks, if the game is too hard, practice till you get better, as easy as it is. i predicted since the reveal that this will be on another level than your stats fed and summoning supported Souls games.

this game exposes so many people that thought of themselves as good gamers, that is the problem. it is like a mirror of your own skill and patience. who cares if you do a boss 100 times, you will beat him with practice. this is no fast food game, this is a game which needs dedication and i am happy that there even is such a game in this shitty GaaS and autopiloted gaming world.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
the lack of multiplayer initially worried me but the various skill tree branches makes replayability very viable...I don't even want to think about how difficult the various NG+ modes will be...I was also worried when I first heard about the Ressurrection mechanic as I thought this was a continuation of From Software making their games easier and more accessible to newcomers...but it's the total opposite...it never feels like a cheat...the game is a return to form for ultimate high skill and brutal difficulty...if Sekiro had summoning them I'm sure the majority of players would summon/cheat their way through the entire game

Sekiro is a game where victory is earned...

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
This post is funny lol. Theyre probably just psyching themselves out. There are a few crazy bosses but that one is completely manageable.

Nah, I was totally zen, but it's just not all that fun for me. Judging by this OT, I'm not the only person who's hit a similar wall.

Game's a real divider and that's probably what the developer had in mind - I just ended up up on the side of that divide I'd rather not had. To all those on the other, I hope you have a blast.

DarkStream

Oct 27, 2017
Been fighting Lord Genichiro for about two hours. Got him to Phase 2 ONCE. Too fucking hard.
Then went to fight LB, just to take a break, and beat her the first time. .She was so easy.....

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I can't even fathom, 50 tries and rage quitting on that boss? He barely tickles your posture and lets you heal for free.

You'd have to be dodging into his attacks repeatedly or something? Literally spam R1 when he's not attacking and spam L1 when he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.