• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What the flying fuck are you supposed to do against the shinobi hunter with the spear? Cheese him with two stealth attacks?

I do fuck all damage. Can you parry his blows?
Parry him, find openings to attack (keep in mind that the goal isn;t to drain his health, but rather just deal enough damage to stop his posture regen), and Mikiri counter his thrusts.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man. I tried Lady Butterfly after defeating Drunkard with the aid of that dude nearby. She destroyed me. I am never going to beat her, am I? This is where my path ends. I see it now - no matter how hard I try, this game is beyond my capabilities.

I mean, I can only imagine most of you guys here are simply better at this. There is something about From games that I don't get - it's timing of certain moves. Sometimes I do them, sometimes I don't and I don't understand why. And I see a lot of people not having these issues, like they see the game in slow-motion or something. I mean, just clearing the guys around the Drunkard was a challenge to me, and him I would've never defeated without NPC help. And then I come to that Lady, I mean.... I didn't even understand what was going on. I will try it a few more times, but I am almost certain defeating her is beyond my capabilities.
Don't be discouraged. I was stuck on her for maybe two hours and I thought the same thing but it felt amazing to finally beat her. Not everyone is stomping through the game. You die really fast in this game so sometimes it can be hard to tell wtf even happened. The fight isn't AS crazy as it seems, you'll get there!! And you definitely don't need to do it now. You're playing on hard mode if you try to beat her this early really. There's other easier things for you to kill elsewhere.

Apr 24, 2018
What the flying fuck are you supposed to do against the shinobi hunter with the spear? Cheese him with two stealth attacks?

Mikiri counter ability is your friend, here - note you have to purchase this ability with skill points (tap circle without moving when he does a thrust attack; that was the only "red kanji" attack that I saw from him when I fought him).

You can also easily stealth him to take one bar off if you clear out the surrounding enemies, first.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't go for the b-sides but this game is much harder, but I dunno, is a hard comparison to make. The thing is that the levels are the challenge in Celeste, whereas I feel like the levels are the easiest in Sekiro compared to other souls games. The difficulty spike comes from the bosses, which you can think of as the end chase sequences. Basically you really need to learn how to beat them.

I'll just say if you like banging your head at a problem until you solved it like in Celeste you might like the same process here.
I'm finding it much harder (and I did all the B and C sides). I just can't keep up with the parrying.
I haven't seen anything as hard as 7B in Sekiro. It has a steeper difficilty curve though for sure.

Thanks for the replies. Really having trouble deciding whether to open my copy or return it though. Ugh, I wish I had more than like 3 days of break between terms at my college, so I could give this a shot without feeling like I might be wasting my time.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Oh man. I tried Lady Butterfly after defeating Drunkard with the aid of that dude nearby. She destroyed me. I am never going to beat her, am I? This is where my path ends. I see it now - no matter how hard I try, this game is beyond my capabilities.

I mean, I can only imagine most of you guys here are simply better at this. There is something about From games that I don't get - it's timing of certain moves. Sometimes I do them, sometimes I don't and I don't understand why. And I see a lot of people not having these issues, like they see the game in slow-motion or something. I mean, just clearing the guys around the Drunkard was a challenge to me, and him I would've never defeated without NPC help. And then I come to that Lady, I mean.... I didn't even understand what was going on. I will try it a few more times, but I am almost certain defeating her is beyond my capabilities.
Don't sweat it man. She felt overwhelming to me at first too. It just takes training yourself how to read her. She only has a handful of basic patterns.

Best thing you can do is just hold down the block button and watch her patterns. You can usually get a quick hit in easily right after she finishes a combo/attack.

I still haven't beaten her yet (came within 2-3 hits about 5 times in a row yesterday!), but that was after dying to her like 30 times. And I can feel myself getting better even while I had the same fear that it was too overwhelming at first. In short, stick with it, hold down the block button and dodge the unblockables and you'll find it more manageable than you first think.

Jul 20, 2018
j5igcc2.gif

https://twitter.com/Much118x

Probably my favourite Sekiro gif yet :)

Did you dodge around him or under him? Every time I tried going under it seemed like I ran into an invisible wall.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
I was at Laby B for like 3 hours this morning. Alllllmost got her a bunch, and learned her moveset. Went elsewhere, got stronger, came back and ganked her with all my well earned knowledge. Just keep practicing.

I did the same thing. Returned after a little while and completely wrecked her.

She barely got any breaks to create illusions.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
These following hits really need to go from these games. It is honeatly kinda cheap. Im fighting against the eyeless dude in the middle of the snow pit and her bullets actually follow you after she shoots them. It is pretty shitty design. The only rrason she was able to kill me two times was that.

I switched to the English VO out of curiosity this morning. No; that lasted for about thirty seconds before exiting the game and resetting to the default, superior (IMO) Japanese tracks.
Agreed.

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
Just beat the boss at the top of Ashina Castle and my hands still shaking. My favourite fight so far.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
DF's PC analysis of this game has made an easy decision to skip the console versions and invest in a beefy gaming PC to play it instead! The game looks and sounds totally worth it. I'm excited :)

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
I restarted a new game + right away so i cant check right now, maybe you have to talk to somebody first in the area ? did you check the shortcut on the wall ?
Thanks I actually found it.
You actually have to find the old grave idol somewhere near Ashina Castle and go all the way back from there.
Hehe and if you reach the start of the outskirts there is a surprise xD

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
This is a random question, but how does the difficulty in this compare to Celeste? Obviously Celeste is less punishing since it respawns the player with no real penalties aside from lost progress on a particular screen/challenge, but I think that might be the hardest game I've finished yet (though still haven't done the epilogue thing, but I did play on Switch joy cons, alternating between the sticks and the directional buttons, so it was harder than some people's experiences, lol), so it'd be a good metric to figure out how Skiro stands, if anyone is willing to indulge the question.

Nah Celeste is still harder for me, the things I have to do perfectly in that game make me too nervous to execute properly after like the third world lol

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know what I'm to do here?

I'm in this fog area with illusion like enemies and a dude on a flute in a house, and I don't really know what to do here...? I've been running around for a while and cant find any real way to progress.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017

Just cheese her with Nightjar Slash. Don't feel bad about it either, I didn't lol. But be sure to have shurikens ready to hit her when she moves away, and phase 2 you need to interrupt her before the butterfly attacks go off.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
Okay... so far I just finished the mini-boss after the bull and i killed LB. I have only encountered 1 merchant so far, just before rhe ogre, did i missed some merchant?
Yep

Assuming you found Anayama who's on the ground before the Ogre area, there's another guy high up in the area before, near the old woman and her son. You'll see him in the Gyoubu area after the fight, too.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017

I'm in this fog area with illusion like enemies and a dude on a flute in a house, and I don't really know what to do here...? I've been running around for a while and cant find any real way to progress.
Explore the area in front of the house..look at the far walls and eventually you'll see a branch you can climb up (and a returning mini-boss). That leads to the right path.

Oct 25, 2017
Dragonrot so far is irrelevant to point that it feels like a weird vestigial tail of a mechanic.

Otherwise fantastic game though. It's outpacing Bloodborne as my favorite Fromsoft game of this generation.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017

opposite of the house on the other side into the far left there is marker to climb onto.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York

That was caught me up too, had to look it up. You have to go to the area right before the house and go to a raised spot on the left side of the map and look for a grapple point off in the mist and jump and grapple over in order to get to the roof of the house.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
Asking again because I didn't get a reply before, does defeating the Guardian Ape put you at around 50% of the game?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

You need to get to the roof.

Jump in through the ceiling and aerial deathblow him and he'll go down in like six hits.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
If Dragonrot was more important, you'd have myriads of people crying about it like this thread had before knowing how it worked. I'm sure Miyazaki just didn't want the headache of having to take all the absurd criticism and made it that way.

Oct 25, 2017
question

Where does the little guy go after you possess the one by the kite and make him to the rope thing?

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Dragonrot so far is irrelevant to point that it feels like a weird vestigial tail of a mechanic.

Otherwise fantastic game though. It's outpacing Bloodborne as my favorite Fromsoft game of this generation.
Dragonrot is the torches in dark souls 2.

Indeed. It's crazy that I've seen people trashing the game and/or going out of their way to backup saves to avoid what amounts to a very slight inconvenience in the game. I'm at the end now and I had to cure dragonrot maybe twice during my playthrough in order to do sidequests. It's almost not even there.

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK

You can parry everything but the sweep attack. If you have Mikiri counter you can dodge INTO his unblockable thrust attack. It's pretty easy to get Mikiri at this point in the game btw. His moves are just difficult to read since they have similar start up animations - though they are subtly different.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rebound Use Item to Select, feels a lot better. On a 360 pad at least I was constantly accidently hitting the pad so it thought I was hitting Right as well so I'd be changing items and using them. Not so good when it's the ceremonial tanto.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I love the way the prosthetics work into boss fights. Somewhere in that upgrade tree is usually something that will help against some of the tougher bosses. My personal favorite example, because it worked so well for me, is (later game miniboss spoiler) the malcontent finger whistle on O'Rin of the Water. It stuns her really well.

I am looking forward to replaying the game and discovering even more cool stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.