• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not sure what I feel about this game. When things get going, the game is really intense and fun. *The stealth is a bit primitive but fun.*

i'm with you farmable ammo being pointless and not a big fan of the consumables either. But I think the stealth is very well done and really well implemented into the combat loop. It doesn't feel primitive. I feel like I have most of the standard sneak and kill options from every other stealth game I've played, and it moves so much faster than most stealth games. You can straight up sprint behind people and still backstab them. The simplified "alerted" phase seems very deliberate to get you back to action mode quickly. I was actually really surprised how lenient that is. I think it succeeds in making you feel like a badass while also facilitating exploration in a way the souls games never encouraged

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
how can I tell which bosses are mini-bosses and which are proper bosses?...there are no fog gates it seems...I'm guessing the ninja type guys with the Japanese names are mini-bosses while all other named enemies like Chained Ogre are bosses?

Last edited:

metaprogram

Oct 28, 2017
How do you time the lightning reflect against Genichiro? I jump in the air and spam R1 but it doesn't seem to work. I land and get shock anyway

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
how I can I tell which bosses are mini-bosses and which are proper bosses?...there are no fog gates it seems...I'm guessing the ninja type guys with the Japanese names are mini-bosses while all other named enemies like Chained Ogre are bosses?
There is usually a cut-scene or the boss talking before the fight. The mini-bosses just start fighting.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
how I can I tell which bosses are mini-bosses and which are proper bosses?...there are no fog gates it seems...I'm guessing the ninja type guys with the Japanese names are mini-bosses while all other named enemies like Chained Ogre are bosses?

Main bosses (so far for me at least) have cutscenes, you get a 'shinobi execution' message when you kill them, and they drop memory fragments that you can use to increase attack power.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018

If there's a shinobi execution then it's a big boss. At least that's how I think about it.

Apr 24, 2018
I think you've hit the nail on the head there as to why i think some folks are having trouble getting in the swing of things. In the opening segments the game through your interaction with the cannon fodder guys, you are lead to think, or at least i was lead to think - perfect parry for the win. So people, myself included will get hung up on getting the perfect parry aspect. The problem comes because your health is so thin, you miss a parry and you are ground meat. And that loading screen gets longer and longer.

I turned around off my need to perfect parry everyone, and swichted on survivability which includes healthy doses of only blocking to learn the parry windows, and dashing about with infinite speed.
Yeah, I also remember being really miffed when the first General was dealing so much more posture damage to me than I was to him with what I felt were well timed parries (had no issues with the cannon fodder enemies) and thinking the fight was nigh impossible. I'm definitely going to try and learn enemy patterns better moving forward by using a blocking stance and/or playing more defensively, as well, and hopefully using/timing them well and at apt times moving forward.

Survivability certainly seems key to learning for this game - especially for someone like me who seemingly has poor reaction times (or at least as far as this game is concerned).

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bosses tend to either have flat out cinematics attached or at least a very dramatic entrance.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017

I don't think the game itself really distinguishes but I think people are deeming the "official" bosses the ones that:

- Have a fog wall behind them / lock you in
- Have a cutscene before them
- Are fought one on one
- You can't sneak attack
- Have a special execution animation
- Upgrade your attack power

They don't all meet all of those criteria but that's kind of what "boss boss" means.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bosses end with a shinobi execution and give you an attack boost. Stuff like the ogre are just mini bosses.

Mastermind

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So what are everyone's thoughts on
Guardian Ape?

I beat it after many attempts but that second phase is a slog. I think it nearly ruins the fight. I'm literally parrying/blocking and then running away. Get two pokes in and repeat. Let's not forget the Roar of Doom either which punishes trying to be aggressive. Absolutely annoying.

First phase was hard but better.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
If there's a black streak behind the name, it's a boss.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Haha fuck the double team ape power hour. Was tough and very aggressive with only one. Two makes me feel like I was a pinball.

Got through it with firecracker thankfully, but holy shit. Also kind of makes me laugh looking at the posts about the first ape now.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm also not a fan of some items in this game, especially confetti and ammo for tools. Some items just don't last long enough and the confetti being practically needed for some bosses despite being limited in quantity is just dumb design imo. It can be mitigated in later playthroughs when you know the bosses more but for new players, needing to grind confetti is too punishing and you can't buy it until later when it becomes pointless.

This. They should have had a system like with the Gourdes. Everytime you rest you refill spirit emblems and some other items. These games are so good that you don't need the grinding aspect of it. Being stuck at a boss is punishing enough. Out of confettis and mad for not beating the boss that requires confettis? Well sorry, you will have to grind for 30 minutes+ to refill them, then try again. Ugh. Terrible game design.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To those who finished the game, how would you compare it to other Soulsborne games content-wise? I made it to a part where the game really opened up and I can explore like 4-5 new areas.
amazing, beautiful, with some terrible backtracking at a certain part.

Probably my favorite FROM game.

Should I try Nioh if I loved this?

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Man, every successive day I go back to this game, I feel like such a god damn badass. My first day was a steep learning curve against puny enemies and a struggle against that first samurai. My second day led to a brick wall when I found the Drunkard. My third day led to massive breakthroughs and taking down three bosses! Then today, I rip through two more bosses and take on an entire group of enemies AND a samurai simultaneously while getting shot at from afar.

Holy shit! This game is like a childhood fantasy ninja simulator!

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Lock on and sprint all the time. Throw hard angles at him and try to control the positioning so you've always got space (focus on clearing all obstacles when you get in). Always look for him digging one of his 'horns' in the ground for the hard turn. This is always a few seconds of downtime and is a consistent animation you get in, hit, and sprint out for. When you throw it a hard angle it very commonly does this move.

Just play it safe and focus on dodging, baiting the turn and then attacking during that spot.

Many thanx again, this did the trick for me, he's down! :) For anyone stuck on the bull, this is the best tactic for me. I'm proud I didn't give up.

Deleted member 11069

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am getting uber triggered by the writing in this game. It seems to include the absolute worst parts of every Dark Souls and Metal Gear games.

You have to get the Mortal Blade.
-The.... Mortal Blade....?
Yes, the Mortal Blade.

Jeeeesus. Whatever From does next I hope they hire some decent people write and voice this stuff
I think I might try to japanese WO.

haha,
I think I have seen this type of repetition in other japanese media as well.
Even the most recent Haruki Murakami book suffered from a protagonist that would repeat every piece of new information
given to him.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

Personally, I would say no, but I never found Nioh to be as engaging as some others did who praised the combat. This game is leagues ahead. That's just my biased opinion.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that's intersting to me is that, for some of these bosses, I actually really enjoy speed-running back to the boss. It's so much less tedious than Souls with the movement speed, grapple, and lack of real fall damage. For example for the centipede miniboss I had my route down running the whole time, barely touching the ground. It feels kinda fun to 'master' some of these runs. The idol placement before most bosses is pretty generous too

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018

Nioh is much MUCH closer to Dark Souls than Sekiro is, so if you enjoyed it then yes.

The world design isn't anywhere close to From Software's pedigree, but the combat system is pretty fun and there's some pretty memorable boss battles.

That said, I remember it being easy once you got past the third boss; but that's mostly because I specced into magic and magic was BROKEN.

Oct 28, 2017
Guardian Ape?

I beat it after many attempts but that second phase is a slog. I think it nearly ruins the fight. I'm literally parrying/blocking and then running away. Get two pokes in and repeat. Let's not forget the Roar of Doom either which punishes trying to be aggressive. Absolutely annoying.

2nd phase wasn't so bad imo. A lot of his sword attacks can be jumped and, if you see him preparing the roar, you have enough time to run away.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
At this point I'm convinced that the final boss of Dark Souls 4 will have like 10 phases.

At times the game does make me legit worried about the future of From's games in terms of challenge. This is pushing me to the limit, and then Ringed City and Old Hunters were also like.... insane challenge. If they take it even further I am honestly a bit scared I will literally just not be able to experience their games anymore, haha.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I killed the add first but I took my time and waited for clear openings. Once the add was down, the other guy was easy. I didn't use any candy's at all just take your time and attack when it's clear you wont get hit by either of them
It's what I did first for like 10 tries and did not have clear openings, I mean I got some probably but really short and got punished.
I have no issue with the headless alone, and as soon as Ill manage to kill the add once Ill win the fight, but I never killed him.

But my 3 tries today were alright, I actually tried both methods today and got close, Ill keep at it :)

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I am getting uber triggered by the writing in this game. It seems to include the absolute worst parts of every Dark Souls and Metal Gear games.

You have to get the Mortal Blade.
-The.... Mortal Blade....?
Yes, the Mortal Blade.

Jeeeesus. Whatever From does next I hope they hire some decent people write and voice this stuff
I think I might try to japanese WO.
I switched to the English VO out of curiosity this morning. No; that lasted for about thirty seconds before exiting the game and resetting to the default, superior (IMO) Japanese tracks.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Yo. Lady Butterfly's second phase hurts my soul. I don't know what I'm supposed to do about the things that attack me.
There's an item you can get called a Snap Seed that will pretty much insta kill every apparition around you, but you only get 1 by talking to the dude right before the boss area, there's 5 more in the valley with the giant white snake.

If you don't wanna blow your snap seeds on her, if you run to the opposite end of the arena eventually she'll dispel the ghosts and turn them into projectiles.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The hardest boss in the entire game for me up to this point was that stupid gunner miniboss on the way to the Gun Fort. efffffff

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I would say no, but I never found Nioh to be as engaging as some others did who praised the combat. This game is leagues ahead. That's just my biased opinion.
Awww, that's a shame.

Also I think this is a lock for the best game story this year. I just loved the narrative, the subtle lore, and having restrained cinematography and choreography during cutscenes is a breath of fresh air after the excessive everything of DMCV.

Latpri

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Yo. Lady Butterfly's second phase hurts my soul. I don't know what I'm supposed to do about the things that attack me.

They go away after a while. Theyll all turn into homing lasers when she dispels them. So just run around like a doofus until she dispels them then do your best to dodge the homing bullet hell that comes after.

You straight up have to stop hitting her for this strategy to work and shes gonna recover her stance a bit though. Go beastmode any time she doesnt have shadows out for this to work.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Black outfit mod looks a lot better.

535f1451-ae0c-421e-a6e2-9ad602fb25fd.jpg
30c7dac7-329b-4611-bbf7-60d222f47d5f.jpg

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina

Nioh is imo the closest attempt to a From quality game but it struggles in story department (which is complete nonsense) and enemy variety (it works kinda like DOOM where you always fight the same enemy plus one new addition per lvl). I still rank Nioh's combat as the best thi gen has offered but everything else is one or two steps bellow From's games (level design is good but not even close to this insane level of crafting).

metaprogram

Oct 28, 2017
When do you need to press R1 exactly to reflect Genichiro's lightning? As soon as i get hit doesn't seem to work, nor does spamming

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game (tried to nearly 100% it, so lots of exploring and messing around). Took 35 hours but I could have beaten the game in 25 or less.

Excellent game with some issues. The primary being lots of reused content especially in latter half of the game. And difficulty is mostly front ended and dependent on what content you do when. Final boss wasn't too bad for me, just took long to beat (around 10 mins per attempt). Peak difficulty spikes for me were Lady Butterfly and the boss on top of Ashina Castle as well as a major optional boss. The first two I definitely seemed to have fought them a bit earlier than they were designed for and I was still learning the ropes of the system and optimum way to fight.

Minibosses were extremely frustrating especially when some of them you had to fight them 4 times. One in particular was the Long Swordsman... smfh.

There is also quite some missable content in the game depending on what you have beaten at that point because of state changes. Definitely need to go through again with a full guide. I maxed out two Prosthetics, 3 of the skill trees final skill and a couple of the end game moves. Killed all mini bosses, headless and bosses I could find.

superseohyun

Mar 23, 2019
Guardian Ape?

I can parry most of his second phase attacks without problem and always have time to run out of his scream. Not completely out but only take mostly 1/6 hp dmg. With an umbrella it is even easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.