• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Can you parry while swinging your own sword? Like as I'm in attack animations, try to time parries with L1? I could have sworn I felt that working, but maybe it is just getting the right time in between sword strikes?

I'm just wondering if I should be constantly swinging and then just focus on parrying as I'm attacking...

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
So I have the first three bosses down and want to farm some skill points to get a final skill tree ability for mister tengu mask.

Where do people find is the best farming spot at this point in the game? Right now I'm doing resevoir.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
They can fuck off with Guardian Ape. God damn what am I supposed to do here? Is there a trick or is it really this much a war of attrition?

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The game seems a little too easy and handholdy after 2/3 hours. You can easily escape a fight, lots of spawn points and of course the revive option.

Overall I am enjoying it though, so far it's a 8-9/10 for me.

I saw someone quote this

The bolded is the developers luring you into a major trap, which by now I'm sure you realize.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I have the
Dragonrot droplet and recovery charm now? Should I use this now, or wait 'til more people i meet get infected?

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I keep imagining a DLC where you play as...
The Sculptor
... in his prime and I really badly want it to happen. The mechanics would obviously overlap just enough to keep the game's core intact, but offer a good excuse to mix up the tools.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I am so sick of Guardian Ape. Even if I get to his second half I just don't understand his moveset enough to get through the fight. The flailing, indiscriminate slash attacks are impossible to parse. Why did they have to make THIS boss mandatory for progression?

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Haha Haha
The fucking ape!? Again?! And now the asshole brings in a second ape! Why?! Why... ;-;

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I should probably be working instead of reading this thread but this game has thoroughly burrowed into my head. Sekiro is completely unwilling to compromise, it repeatedly kicks your teeth in and then refuses to apologize and I can't stop thinking about it...

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
They can fuck off with Guardian Ape. God damn what am I supposed to do here? Is there a trick or is it really this much a war of attrition?
You can parry him, which seems strange considering that he fights with the fists. It's a pretty easy boss IMO, he does 2-3 long combos that are easy to learn and his standard grab is slow and has no range.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I've gotten good, so to speak. I attacked him until I saw the harsh spark which let me know he parried. Then, I parried or blocked back. It wasn't too bad once I got the hang of it honestly. For the last phase, I did the same thing but just dodged with circle to the right during his lightning, like a Dark Souls boss. I also don't mash attack anymore, and I have done enough exploring to get three necklace upgrades. Once you properly learn the parry system, the game really opens up.

Oct 27, 2017
OKC
I am so sick of Guardian Ape. Even if I get to his second half I just don't understand his moveset enough to get through the fight. The flailing, indiscriminate slash attacks are impossible to parse. Why did they have to make THIS boss mandatory for progression?

I beat him by
staying midrange most of the time to avoid the AOE, parrying his 4-sword hit strike, and hoping for his big sword hit because you can parry it and stun him for like 5 seconds. i'd bring a long some of the purifying item too that removes terror build up if you can as well, helps if you get caught in that aoe. Also, just holding run and booking it away instead of dodging or jumping works best for getting out of the AOE imo

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017

I found the apes move set in both phases extremely predictable and mostly easy to dodge.

He has some really easy to dodge moves that leave him wide open.

Metroidfan09

Jan 10, 2019
England
Man this game is some good shit! Beat the first main boss funnily enough I found the Chained Ogre harder 😂 Gone to the Estate and beat the drunk guy, just still struggling against the spear guy... even with the thrust counter.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I found the apes move set in both phases extremely predictable and mostly easy to dodge.

He has some really easy to dodge moves that leave him wide open.

His three hit slash combo is either a guaranteed kill or critical health every time. And it comes out so fast it's impossible to predict. I hate this fight. I hate everything about it and I just want it to go away.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You can block the attacks you feel is to hard to parry. Actually, the only attack you need to parry is the last one of his big combos (the ones that has a big windup). A successful parry on that one will stun him and you can get several hits.

Otherwise you can also use his jump forward lunge to easily evade to his side and get several hits. You can cheese him this way.

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I guess I've gotten good, so to speak. I attacked him until I saw the harsh spark which let me know he parried. Then, I parried or blocked back. It wasn't too bad once I got the hang of it honestly. For the last phase, I did the same thing but just dodged with circle to the right during his lightning, like a Dark Souls boss. I also don't mash attack anymore, and I have done enough exploring to get three necklace upgrades. Once you properly learn the parry system, the game really opens up.

Ahh, i didn't realize that they can parry and the tell for that is a loud clang. That makes sense. Gonna try to get this guy down today. Any tips for the lightning?

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
You can parry him, which seems strange considering that he fights with the fists. It's a pretty easy boss IMO, he does 2-3 long combos that are easy to learn and his standard grab is slow and has no range.
Did you use any of the posture meter items while doing so? My posture fills up pretty fast when I'm trying to parry him.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ahh, i didn't realize that they can parry and the tell for that is a loud clang. That makes sense. Gonna try to get this guy down today. Any tips for the lightning?
Just roll to the right like it's a dark souls boss. I didn't get hit once during that. Once you hear that loud clang and see the larger sparks STOP ATTACKING and PREPARE TO PARRY OR DODGE. That's the biggest thing I've learned and it's made the game far easier.
Try tapping your L1 instead of just holding it down. Gotta get the timing right and it won't fill up so fast.
This too. I only hold mine down when I either know there's no way I can parry everything (and even still i try and tap L1) or I'm trying to get my bar down, because defending is how you lower it quickly.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Funny story, I wanted to grind a bit of experience to get a skill point before facing Genichiro, so I decided to explore the A****** D****** just a little bit. However I got so carried away that I cleared the area and enter up in the area outside S**** T*****, with the same percentage of EXP I had before plus 1 skill point =_=

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You can block the attacks you feel is to hard to parry. Actually, the only attack you need to parry is the last one of his big combos (the ones that has a big windup). A successful parry on that one will stun him and you can get several hits.

Otherwise you can also use his jump forward lunge to easily evade to his side and get several hits. You can cheese him this way.

I just can't. I can't do it. I've been trying for days and all of his attacks look the fucking same. I can't tell any of them apart and half of them hit behind him so even if I manage to get out of his way he just sweeps me to death anyway.

I just want it to be over. It's literally the only thing I have left to do now and I just want it to be over.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard, it gets my hands trembling way more than I'd like and I'm terrified each time I encounter a new zone or enemy.
I love every minute of it and I just can't get the game our of my head.
So yeah, same as his predecessors so far, which is a good sign.

Jyrii

Oct 27, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Must say that this Lady Butterfly match is really good tutorial for me. Finally started to get the combat flow. Still haven't beaten her
got my first deathblow though.

I feel like I would be able to beat her quite easily now if I had more health or could do more dmg to her health.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Does anybody ever *not* resurrect? Is Dragonrot that big of an issue that you would want to be conservative here?

Blu10

Oct 27, 2017
Man this game is some good shit! Beat the first main boss funnily enough I found the Chained Ogre harder 😂 Gone to the Estate and beat the drunk guy, just still struggling against the spear guy... even with the thrust counter.

So I must have missed quite a few paths. I just beat the spear guy and I haven't encountered a boss or the drunk guy.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I can't remember where the following leads and it's driving me crazy sitting at work trying to draw a mental map of the Castle area:

Does the Great Serpent Shrine idol after that monkey snow forest area of Ashina Castle lead down to Sunken Valley?? I totally forgot and it's driving me nuts somehow not remembering how I got to that area.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
One thing I wish is that the game wasn't so in favor of being defensive.

Attacks are used to bait out parries, or the occasional poke and runs. I can't use any of these cool attacks because enemies would just block them or hyper Armour through them.

That's the same problem I had with Souls.

Oct 27, 2017

You get one critical hit on the spear dude if you sneak through the grass on the left. Prepare for chaos after that

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't remember where the following leads and it's driving me crazy sitting at work trying to draw a mental map of the Castle area:

Does the Great Serpent Shrine idol after that monkey snow forest area of Ashina Castle lead down to Sunken Valley?? I totally forgot and it's driving me nuts somehow not remembering how I got to that area.
yes

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He was the last thing I did last night. Perfect way to end a weekend on the new game.

I had come to terms with deflect, but that fight forced me to learn all aspects of the combat. Just learn a single move each time you face him if you have too. Eventually you'll know them all, and everytime you die it will be because you fucked up (and you will, lots). But the feeling of learning and getting better is overwhelming. And it just feels soooo good when it's all clicking.

Once you start figuring him out it's hardly about health management at all, you either are in the zone and dominating or a half second late, too antsy, etc. and get your ass beat.

Probably my favorite boss fight of all time, just because of the way how satisfying it was to learn and just slowly overcome it.

I used the loaded umbrella, you can also use prosthetic that can help whittle his posture. I didn't want to have to worry about doing an extra combo, and the umbrella made the arrows less of an issue.

Good luck!

Thanks! Time to grind some Sen to buy that Umbrella!
Also (hope no one has posted this yet)
dtij7ne1r8o21.jpg

Xarius

Oct 28, 2017
There's a trophy for beating all bosses but it'd all have to be on one file, and some are going to be exclusive to your choices and subsequent playthroughs. Otherwise yeah you could just get the endings in the first playthrough (theoretically).
Ah, is it confirmed that you need to beat every boss on the same file? If so, that certainly puts a damper on my plans.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Funny story, I wanted to grind a bit of experience to get a skill point before facing Genichiro, so I decided to explore the A****** D****** just a little bit. However I got so carried away that I cleared the area and enter up in the area outside S**** T*****, with the same percentage of EXP I had before plus 1 skill point =_=

This has been the entire game for me so far. Just a little more...just a little more this way...and suddenly I discover a new area and have no idea what I was trying to do to begin with.

I started keeping a little notebook on the table and log my "tasks" or where vendors are and shit.

Thanks! Time to grind some Sen to buy that Umbrella!
Also (hope no one has posted this yet)
dtij7ne1r8o21.jpg

This is fucking perfect. That's exactly what I thought when I got this item. "Oh cool, go down to a certain OHKO just to do a bit of extra damage, fuck off From".

Status
Not open for further replies.