• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Does it take too long to load the cutscene or something on console? I had one boss that repeated the cutscene when I retried it, but I was able to immediately skip it, wasn't an issue at all.

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
Made me quit. If I work hard to overcome a challenge, I don't expect the game to move the goal posts at the last minute.

Give him three deathblows and switch it up after two - that's fine - but don't snatch away a victory I've earned.

His second form is actually a little easier. Keep the pressure up while dodging his signature move and its a cakewalk. His actual moveset doesn't really change other than the fact that he uses thrust more often which is laughably easy to counter.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
By this rate i will finish the game in like 6 months or so. Still havent gotten past guardian ape lmao. Still can't down the cocksucker even if i went and did some other stuff and improved both health and attack power by one. Like i said it is like a even harder tuned defiled blood letting beast in its second phase.

Xthn

Aug 25, 2018
For everyone stuck on
Genichiro
If you jump and press RB (R1) you can catch his lightning spear and throw it back at him.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While that definitely happens, I have also seen people in this thread being dicks at people that simply say "this game is to hard for me, I quit".

It's on both really.

Tbf the people being needlessly aggressive when we try to give tips or call us out as bullshitters because we can kill a boss in less tries like we're lying lol.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm at a complete loss with later game fight with
Owl. I haven't anywhere near this kind of trouble with any fight in the game, several bosses like the great apes were quite easy in fact only taking my first try, even Genichiro who was the toughest yet still felt doable despite taking 30+ tries to nail it. Nothing works here, one slip up and I'm dead before even making any kind of headway.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
By this rate i will finish the game in like 6 months or so. Still havent gotten past guardian ape lmao. Still can't down the cocksucker even if i went and did some other stuff and improved both health and attack power by one. Like i said it is like a even harder tuned defiled blood letting beast in its second phase.

Here's a tip

use firecrackers on the first form... beat his ass...
on the second part... run in a circle and only attack him 1-2 slashes when he dives towards you

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
While that definitely happens, I have also seen people in this thread being dicks at people that simply say "this game is to hard for me, I quit".

Some people can definitely be obnoxious when it comes to the Souls games (and the "git good" mentality), but the majority of people being called out are the ones who want to claim that the game is "unfair", "cheap", or "poorly designed". Which, inevitably, is going to get a few backs up (as those comments are pretty petulant) and receive a response in kind. This is usually followed by someone else crying foul and using those responses to shitty posts as "proof" that the Souls community is toxic. Honestly, it is incredibly obnoxious, but unfortunately predictable. The frustration these games cause some people has a tendency to elicit the shittiest takes.

Last edited:

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
His second form is actually a little easier. Keep the pressure up while dodging his signature move and its a cakewalk. His actual moveset doesn't really change other than the fact that he uses thrust more often which is laughably easy to counter.

Thanks man. I might go back, because it's really good overall, but for real stuff like this really grinds me.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Some people can definitely be obnoxious when it comes to the souls games (and the "git good" mentality), but the majority of people being called out are the ones who want to claim that the game is "unfair", "cheap", or "poorly designed". This is usually followed by someone else crying foul and using those responses to shitty posts as proof that the Souls community is toxic. Honestly, it is incredibly obnoxious, but unfortunately predictable. The frustration these games cause some people has a tendency to elicit the shittiest takes.

Agreed.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
After spending hours on Seven Spears, I finally got him. Figured I may as well upload my fight, warts and all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFU7z9n7s24

I only used one firecracker and fell down in the beginning, but otherwise I'm pretty happy, didn't even die.

After that I made my way up the castle, kept going past a ton of pesky birds and found a
monk that's way out of my league and one shots me with a flurry of hits. That's pretty much his only attack but it's hard af either way.

I have like 3 other bosses I can do beside him now too. So much to do and find. The castle area alone is huge.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Does it take too long to load the cutscene or something on console? I had one boss that repeated the cutscene when I retried it, but I was able to immediately skip it, wasn't an issue at all.

It's just an annoyance (though there's a brief 4-5 second pause after the cutscene which is obviously loading).

What irks me is that From had always done this right: show you the cutscene the first time but only once and then go straight into the boss. This feels like a regression, specially with the mid-phase cutscenes which can fuck up your timing.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
I am a FROM super fan but I think it's juuuust above my maximum difficulty tolerance. I am not having a lot of fun at the moment.

This is enfuriating because the art and premise I like.

Ah, just a gripe, stealth feels broken. Ennemies see me through walls :/

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
Was there an area I was supposed to go to before
Genichiro
? I've been fighting him all day (including one run with one hit away from defeating him) and pretty much sucked all the fun out of the game for me.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
HUGE PSA!!!!!!

Discovered major NPC quest line that you want to do to be able to upgrade prosthetics by buying mats conveniently.

There is an NPC called Anayama the peddler in Ashina Outskirts right around the Ogre fight. This guy sells mats for prosthetics.

His first quest line is paying him some cash do this.

Next he asks you about hiring some fat guy and also some salt related quest. The salt related quest you progress by eavedropping later on in Ashina castle. The fat guy is in Senpou castle.

DO NOT GIVE the fat crying guy the WHITE pin wheel!!!! Give him the RED pinwheel that you find later on! When you give him the red pinwheel, you unlock the option to send him to Ayanama. Doing the salt quest and the fat crying quest CORRECTLY will unlock a ton of matts and the kunai mat required for the Shuriken upgrades!!!!
Where is the red pinwheel? I only found the white and red/white.

guy spoilers
also, what other options are there for him? I've seen that you can spirit him away—I sent him to the surgeon for 3 lumps of wax and a strong sense of guilt

I'd kinda love to put together some of these NPC questlines with other people who have played through the game, but I know a lotta people have probably just looked them up, which isn't that fun to me.

here are some questions I have right now:
I've seen that an undead monk shows up in the main temple at Senpou for some people, but he never did for me. Why is that?

Is the sake only good for hearing more about NPC backstories, or is it actually used for a quest? (If it's for a quest I don't want the quest spoiled, just want to know if I should be using it on someone in particular)

On my second playthrough I'm planning on buying mask fragments, but I never got a sense of what to do with them in the first playthrough. Can anyone give a hint?

Similarly, I'd really love a hint for what to do with the snake viscera—no full spoilers please.

How do I progress the storyline of the guy at the well who can hear the flute sound from the Misty Forest? I never saw him after that initial meeting.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Genichiro
? I've been fighting him all day (including one run with one hit away from defeating him) and pretty much sucked all the fun out of the game for me.
there's no "supposed to", but there are a lot of other places you could explore if you wanted to

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I need some help. And not with one of these shitfucking enemies, for a change.
So I just beat Voldo, and the door behind him is locked. I went through the floor and came out in the cave and fought some mini-Voldos and some lizards. Also found another prayer bead. But how am I supposed to get through that door? I can't find any path that leads to a new place.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Genichiro

I suppose you could find more mini bosses around Senpou Temple or in other areas to get more beads but for the most part he is the one keeping you from progressing the storyline.

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
Here's a tip

use firecrackers on the first form... beat his ass...
on the second part... run in a circle and only attack him 1-2 slashes when he dives towards you

I found just going ham works for every human boss in this game. If you force them to block they cant hit you. If they deflect, 90% of the time they use a thrust or sweep which can be easily countered.

Being aggressive leads to fights being over with enemy hp still at 50-60%.

That boss in particular is very vulnerable to this tactic. Helps that in first phase all he does is thrust while second is sweep. Third form just stay on his ass and sidestep signature move. Easy peasy.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
Okay, I need some help. And not with one of these shitfucking enemies, for a change.
So I just beat Voldo, and the door behind him is locked. I went through the floor and came out in the cave and fought some mini-Voldos and some lizards. Also found another prayer bead. But how am I supposed to get through that door? I can't find any path that leads to a new place.

lord kuro will have the key after you beat genciro..

TobyC

Artist at Failbetter Games
Verified
Jan 30, 2019
Fuck, NG+ after refusing Kuro's charm does not mess around. Most enemies two-shot me and enemy posture seems massively inflated. It's especially noticeable with the mini bosses. I'm having a harder time with them now that I was in my first playthrough. Though it's satisfying feeling more generally competent this time around.

I did my first run without making much use of prosthetics. Might need to learn how to actually use them properly now...

Also fighting groups of enemies is still ridiculous. I feel like they throw you against groups of enemies more frequently in the early game, since it's not something I noticed so much later on. Trying to read and counter an amorphous blob of swinging swords and occasional danger kanji is just... beyond me.

The game is fucking incredible though. Sadistic, but incredible.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How. I'm at try 50 probably and nowhere even close to my deathblow. Nothing has been even remotely this hard for me.

I went on the offensive pretty much all the time. Deflect x2, hit him, deflect x2, hit him and so on. Your deflect timing has to be on point in this fight though.The stuff the boss throws I just evaded. Also used no prosthetics on him, didn't find one that helped me. Got him at the 6th try

Good luck

Deleted member 19767

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, there's bullshit, even if it's avoidable.

Ogre's leaping grab tracking is bullshit. Avoidable? Totally, but it's still bullshit.

I agree that there is some
It's not. I haven't gotten to the end so I have no clue. I was saying in general not beating a game after getting many hours of enjoyment doesn't entitle you to a refund

Great news! Thanks for confirming.
I've just seen alot of location and boss names being thrown around, so I'm probably just panicking.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some people can definitely be obnoxious when it comes to the Souls games (and the "git good" mentality), but the majority of people being called out are the ones who want to claim that the game is "unfair", "cheap", or "poorly designed". Which, inevitably, is going to get a few backs up (as those comments are pretty petulant) and receive a response in kind. This is usually followed by someone else crying foul and using those responses to shitty posts as "proof" that the Souls community is toxic. Honestly, it is incredibly obnoxious, but unfortunately predictable. The frustration these games cause some people has a tendency to elicit the shittiest takes.

I haven't seen many people directly insult the game, or blame the game entirely on dying. Most are expressing disappointment in a title they've been anticipating, while also admitting that they're not doing good.

There are some mechanics that need to be tweaked, that's pretty much a fact. The camera and lock-on need some work, particularly in enclosed spaces. Sure, you can beat the lone swordsman in that cave, but the camera spazzing out adds a factor of difficulty that shouldn't be there, for example. And certain aspects of the stealth need to be patched as well: the red dot doesn't always appear, enemies can see you through walls, and after using stealth items or pulling yourself up from a ledge, your character's default animation is to stand up instead of to crouch, which alerts the nearby enemies. There's also the "homing" action of certain bosses's moves (like the ogre's flying kick) which, like a poster said recently, is avoidable, but that still doesn't mean it's not bullshit.

I think it's fine to point out some of the design flaws in the game. Not even Bloodborne is perfect, there are unfair moments and design choices present in every single FROM game that are excused because the overall package is excellent. The difference is that Sekiro is tough as nails so the last thing you need is a design flaw, however minor it may be, to contribute to the difficulty.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A REALLY good mid game farming route for skill points. Travel to the Gun Point Sculptor. Turn around and go up the hill, there will be a shotgun guy waiting to get a deathblow. Run back to the sculptur, rest and repeat. 297 skill points per 20 seconds. You also simultaneously farm money and occasionally pellets, antidote powder etc.

Last edited:

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Started to click a bit more today but hit another couple of roadblocks

Guardian Ape and Snake Eyes In Depths

Any tips for these fights or alternative routes I could go do would be great. Also roughly how far into the game am I?

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't kill all the rats (including the friendly ones), do they kill that shinobi who tasked you with killing them?

I can't wait for the many, many threads about this game of people complaining about it followed by people rushing in to very aggressively defend it. It will be so fun -_-
Because the game's fucking amazing, and there's a difference between a game being bad, and a game just not being meant for certain people. If people genuinely think the game's bad because they had to stop playing it due to its difficulty, I'd say it's not fair for them to call it a bad game and make a thread criticizing it.

Deleted member 51957

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
anyone have a good playthrough video to watch ? I'm probably not gonna play this game but would like to watch someone entertaining play thru it.

Deleted member 12555

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you don't kill all the rats (including the friendly ones), do they kill that shinobi who tasked you with killing them?

I don't think so. That Shinobi turns out to be a very important character to the story.

Edit: sorry, thought you were talking about the first time you find him. Don't know what happens near the end.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Put total 6 hours in guardian ape now. Fuck this fucking cocksucker of a boss. This might be the first From Soft game i wont complete. I mean .... i am just having a bad time right now too.

This boss have me more beat than any boss in soulsborne, i have never put this much time towards a boss before and not beaten it.

Man i just dont have any talent in getting better and improving at games when putting in the time, i just stay stay shit / mediocre no matter how much effort and time i put into it lol...

6 hours!? That sounds awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.